Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wish I didn’t get annihilated by Satori every time I play SA

My trick for not feeling old when I play touhous is to never have been good in the first place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I have discovered:

I am too stupid to repeatedly focus and unfocus

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I want a death bomb, but for when I hit the bomb button at the end of a special mode like the flower zone from PCB or the beast mode in the latest game, but do it 10ms late and waste a bomb instead

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Thanks Clarste.

Thlarste.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Hmm I don’t see the cool fortune teller murder victim on this list, not sure who should go in the top tier then

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Extra stages are also where ZUN puts the bullshit puzzle cards which weren’t fair enough for the main game.

Even so I still don’t know how to dodge half the stage 5/6 cards in any of the games I’ve cleared, to be honest, but that’s why the gods invented bombs.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

WarpedNaba posted:

Sanae really hit the jackpot by becoming immortal in her early 20s/late teens.

Not that anyone ages there, but still.

Does Sanae actually not age? It’s not like she looks younger than Reimu now.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

All the main humans in Touhou have been twenty for the last two decades. Zun explicitly stated Touhou runs on "comic strip time".

drat so I've been waiting for "oh it's you" akyuu to get killed off for nothing

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Check out Human Gensokyo if you haven't.

Oh wow I had no idea this existed and am definitely going to read it once mangadex buys a new computer.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Schwarzwald posted:

Check out Human Gensokyo if you haven't.

This is actually ridiculously good. "On the edge of my seat" is a bad place to be for a monthly drama manga but that's where I am now. Thanks for the recommendation!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm enjoying digging through Google translated names once again.

You can do it, fortune telling guy! You may have been killed by Reimu but you can live again in popularity polls.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

nyttyn posted:

using this (possible? probable?) last post on these forums and a good touhou forum/corner to shill fantasy maiden wars, labyrinth of touhou 2.

play them, they're good.

also,

mima

I enjoyed fmw1 but dropped off of 2 because there wasn’t an English translation patch that translated incidental in-battle lines. However it was still good and I respect the folks who made the patch for their efforts.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Wait what does Sanae have to do with gay marriage

Er wait, that’s obvious, let me rephrase that. What does Sanae have to do with gay marriage more than any other Touhou character

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Oh, yeah, that makes sense. Thanks.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I should start reading more Touhou doujins, I've never really gotten into them even though I like all the characters and I've enjoyed the official manga I've read.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

This actually ties in with Alternative Facts, right? Aya, having rediscovered who she wants to be professionally, feels like the right thing to do is to publish an honest article, even if it might drive a business she frequents bankrupt.

It’s funny that she has all these prejudices against Buddhists, though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I am similarly much more excited to be playing this game than the last one. The market mechanic is a really cool way to mix things up from game to game. Canceling bullets to get money is a a lot of fun. I haven't seen too many visibility issues with bullets either, which I struggled with a bit recent Touhou games. I'm looking forward to playing it more.

My only criticism would be that none of the music has really stuck with me so far. Maybe I'll start liking it more as I continue playing.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I’ve been reading a lot of Touhou doujin manga recently (because, well, Mangadex was down but Dynasty was up), and I noticed an interesting one, Time of the Full Moon. The premise is that Kaguya is telling a story about her past, but there’s some other force interfering with the story somehow.

Anyway, this isn’t a recommendation or anything, although I enjoyed it well enough. Rather, whats interesting about it is that it’s by Mizutaki, the same artist who draws Lotus Eaters. And it shares a lot of the same themes as Lotus Eaters does, with a central mystery, the depiction of an unreal space and unreliable memory all playing a part. If these are themes Mizutaki likes, then that implies the canon manga may be more collaborative than I had imagined. I would be very interested to know more about how they’re created.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTWBWrRaSh8

It is done.

Playing without bombs is so different in Touhou. Obviously there’s nothing wrong with playing normally, but there’s something bracingly refreshing about knowing that I had to deal with every pattern. There were a few in there (like Moses) that I instantly bombed on my 1cc attempts, but that were actually a lot of fun once I got to know them.

But I still can’t deal with Kanako’s opener. Hardest attack in the game. Maybe second, after Aya’s second card.

nrook fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 12, 2021

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

This makes me grateful for the pretty good Forbidden Scrollery translation Yen Press did!

And, of course, for Clarste and everyone else who fan translates Touhou works to a professional standard.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Clarste posted:

Oh yeah, I'm also quitting Lotus Eaters now that it's being officially translated.

I can't believe Clarste got eaten by a ghoul.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I would pay $200 for the ability to consistently capture Kanako’s opener

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I beat Mountain of Faith on Lunatic. I’m the best.

Next up is trying to score it a little bit. Wish me luck, I’ll need it.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I'm really good at Touhou.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHicggjE7YQ

All jokes aside, I'm actually enjoying Mystic Square a lot. It's brutal in a way that the Windows games almost never are: fast bullets, quick movement, unpredictable attacks. It's fun to listen to ZUN doing FM synthesis. And of course, there's doofy ghost, too.

Yumeko is ridiculous, though.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

And here's the 1cc!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JfpqYrjcm4

This game is great. Sorry to all the Mima fans for not picking her even though she's the strongest shot.

Mystic Square has absolutely brutal resources so I'm glad I finally managed to clear it. 6 misses! A whole game and I only get 6 misses! It's practically an arcade shmup.

Great game, though. Anybody else been playing lately?

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Going to celebrate playing mystic square by voting for a bunch of characters no one has ever heard of

I believe in you, spirit mirror

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

There was a Games thread a long time ago, but I think it died pretty quickly. Even the shmup thread is fairly quiet (though in no danger of dying).

The community has moved onto discords, I think. Maiden of the Kaleidoscope is dead but there are plenty of Touhou discords around. I feel like an old man in all of them, though, and they can be more off-color than I remember the community spaces being a decade ago. There are some neat community events on Twitch, too, like the Touhou World Cup and the Touhou Replay Community.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

clearly youmu is winning because everybody loves this ridiculous mahjong doujin

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

yes, I do realize that this explanation is obviously completely false and doesn't line up with the chronology at all

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Ten Desires is the most important work in the canton of literature because it has Miko in it. The Bible meanwhile doesn't have Miko in it, rendering it inferior.

in fairness Miko also shows up in several classic works of Japanese history

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I cleared mystic square on lunatic without using bombs!

I’m the best. I’ll post a video at some point; I turned music off so I’ll have to edit it back in. afaik I am one of the first people to do this with Yuuka, but I’m still far behind the really strong players like Moose or Zil.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I gave up on editing music back in, so here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6nZmKp5i3I

I don’t recommend watching it unless you really love Touhou 5, but I wanted to at least subject this thread to my terrible thumbnail.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX2WJD2-tG4

World record!

I'm the best!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I must say I can’t comprehend the mindset that would lead to entering fraudulent votes for Eiki. Seems like a rather confused life philosophy.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Maybe they are hoping she will come down and lecture them about it :v:

Maribel organized the votes by gender, too:

https://twitter.com/MaribelHearn42/status/1483482074279514112

Ten Desires appears to be relatively more popular with women than with men. I'm not sure why; it could be something about the game, or it could be some sort of timing coincidence (maybe a lot of female fans got into the series at that time; I've heard the percent of male fans has been trending downwards).

Something else that stood out to me is that a lot of characters who are "bad people" or have "unpleasant personalities" tend to be relatively more popular with the female fanbase. Seiga, Seija, Parsee, Mai (PC-98), Medicine, characters like that. This might just be a coincidence, and it's not like it's always true either (Tsukasa fans tilt relatively male), but I do think there's a small trend there.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I have decided to become a dreamy pilot fan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx3OcN_sFmk

So good

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

ZUN can’t even see the past, hence three Touhou games in a row getting counterstopped

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I had too many mimosas and impulse bought ten desires, but sadly my blind run ended when miko rammed me before her final spell

Game has actual mechanics, very confusing

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

I did it, I collected all ten desires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

When will the wiki be switching to “Frandle”?