Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

While we're all wondering how many arms Saki has, we're missing the real question:

consider option #3: her arm is her hair

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

The latest one is a pair-up game, you're just pairing up with yakuza goasts instead of characters with names or portraits.

They still get more lines than Flandre has had, total, since her introduction.

give :clap: them :clapclap: names :clapclapclap: and portraits :clapclapclapclap:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Hungry posted:

One look at Wily Beast and Weakest Creature has me thinking this is going to be UFO-levels of difficult all over again.

the otter power gives you invincibility for 5 seconds which seems a bit unbalanced

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This might be a long shot, but:

Years ago someone here linked a video of byakuren's life set to some song (I thinki it was a non-touhou song, actually) and the shtick was the entire thing was done in zun's style.

And now I have the maddening feeling of remembering I liked the song & video, but cannot remember any actual specifics

Does this ring any bells to anyone

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Ammat The Ankh posted:

It's probably one of these.

Unfortunately it's hard to find a specific video because a bunch of the names are in Japanese and a bunch have been lost to the internet. I just remember the Ichirin Burning Down The House video.

Oh wait, I found his Nico: https://www.nicovideo.jp/user/45465

This is probably it: https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm10055958

Yes that's the one exactly, thank you

A lot more surreal than I thought, but definitely it

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

as someone who rags on zun's art every single game i will die for zun's art

i love all of the guest artists (Fairy Wars, the fighting games, mangas, etc) but touhou wouldn't be touhou without it

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Space Flower posted:

the 20% is the PCB winter outfits, especially

I actually really like TH6 Reimu

probably the best looking portrait in that game, at least. I like TH6's bomb cut in, I believe it's the smug one with the visible hand, too

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

it was nice of grandma to play with the children but please don't choke slam the clown

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Reimu's take down of Seija is fantastic :allears:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I really like what ZUN did with the animal realm and Wily Beasts' story in general, it's cool to read his own thoughts on them. There's some fun ideas in there.

Also i'm excited to see the Eagle Yakuza in the new game.

Yeah, it's really interesting reading all his thoughts in both the broader story and the ideas he had going into each stage and personalities. I'm glad he's been giving these interviews, it's neat

also this was great

quote:

I thought really hard about where to include that word[Idolmaster], but I did away with it in the end. Oh, but she's less of a "Master" and more of a "P (Producer)", isn't she. Since she's the one making the idols.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

This was a really fun chapter, thank you.
It's a shame this is probably jsut general memory powers and not specifically dream powers so sanbondo can just keep getting owned by canon

I really like the art style for this one

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

Lotus Eaters chapter 2!

In which we see the sequel to chapter 1.

next chapter: a murder

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

still praying for a steam release

double praying for also a localization

t-t-triple praying that the localization is good

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Nages posted:

A bit more complicated of a strategy game than fire emblem but simple enough that a friend was able to beat the first 2 games without improving his units at all because he thought it was cheating. The animations are cool, the music is really good and the story is nice.

You can find the translations for the first 3 games here: https://akurasu.net/wiki/Gensou_Shoujo_Wars/Translation. These wont work on the complete version but there are several translation lps on lparchive.org you can follow along with mostly you can play alongside to get the lore while also playing the much nicer to play complete version.

oh this reminds me, has the latest game been submitted to archival yet? It'd be a shame to not have the full set on the archive

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I attempted all of them

A futile endeavour because between the artstyle and my unfamiliarity with a lot of PC98 characters there were just a bunch that I just could not tell who the hell they were. There's, like, 6 maids! who are all these drat maids!! There's a couplke girls just seem like normal girls? Any of these could be OCs snuck in here and I'd never know! I think Marisa might be in there like 4 times. Also at some point i had to keep scrolling up & down so a few might've landed in a lower tier than usual just because i lost track.

the Akis & Elly are where they are because of FMW though in retrospect maybe i could have put the akis in the really good tier....

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FractalSandwich posted:

To go write manga, a job famous for its light workload and lenient deadlines?

Aren't all his mangas in monthly and quarterly magazines

not to say its a light work load but I imagine it is less intensive than like a shonen jump series, especially since he's not also drawing them

Unless I've completely missed what mangas Zun writes outside of touhou. Which, possible

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Enjoyed the page with Reimu looking at all the yokai at her party

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I reread the FMW4 LP again and it reminded me: did Complete ever add Meeko as a playable character for the 3 bonus chapters?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Clarste posted:

No. But last I checked they were working on adding even more bonus chapters where Meeko and Makura would be playable.

Oh very cool. FMW: the game that never ends

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/yoidori_rumia/status/1250717589455515653

Saw this come across my timeline today, seems like a neat rhythm game

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Watching a play through I think it's just an expansion of the old TH8 familiar system https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtjxWW32Mhg

So they'll go in the background depending on what type you are

That run actively takes advantage of it (side note: this is a really gorgeous game and I loe all the spell card patterns) but there's still plenty of normal waves of enemies and you'd probably get at least an interesting experience even if you weren't going all in on the gimmick

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Definitely Forbidden Scrollery, probably my favorite of the mangas and the most consistent? Wild & Horned Hermit was completely fine but I feel it didn't really get good until it started ending.

I have a fondness for the Reisen & Tewi 4Koma but I feel 4Komas are so ymmv

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't see reimu's bow so I just assumed it was some random human village dude with a bowl cut

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

So far as titles go "Ten Desires" isn't that incomprehensible, surely

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

related & out of curiosity is there any reason hisotensoku did not get an english subtitle/second title like all the other games and instead got: Touhou Hisoutensoku~ Choudokyuu Ginyoru no Nazo o Oe

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Effed up that Concealed The Four Seasons is only ranked 59th best music imo

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

holy moly

Clarste posted:

Incidentally, it also added some of the extra boss dialog they're planning to add for NG+, and yes, every single old boss will now have unique conversations with every single character including themselves.

holy moly!!!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

touhou lore video would go probably go through: extensive character backstories, set ups, connections for the game -> reimu spends the afternoon beating people in the face -> tea party -> in depth set up for the extra stage and its reprecussions -> reimu spends the afternoon beating 2 more people in the face

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

iirc, the "kitty corner" is people sending in their cat stories

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

NO LISTEN TO ME posted:

I think it's a little out of touch but still charming that zun still seems to care so much about not showing the endings ever

Yeah I saw that one and let out a hearty laugh.

I guess they specifically just mean having the endings play during the fan game

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Will 100% buy on switch if it goes there

I will use the LPs as a translation guide :v:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Good crop of touhous

I think these are ZUN's best hands yet and I say that looking at the incredibly cursed downward poitning finger of the....final boss, I assume?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Each and every one of those characters sounds amazing, zun knocks another one out of the park

I can easily see how the extra boss could be read as a cryptocurrency joke in the same way Free Market touhou can be comiket tbh

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

touhou where everything is exactly the same except if a touhou is meant to represent like an animal or whatever they just look like that

whatever dumb &/or haughty bullshit the extra boss talks about but she also is just really a giant killer centipede

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

The spin off game that was meant to come out last year was about striking oil, right? Wonder if it was meant to coincide with this, the game about dangerously mining for gems.

Clarste posted:

Izanagi Objects are kind of relevant to the story because the Dragon Gems that magatama and cards are made from are Izanagi Objects. Or technically "Izanagi materials". Reimu's secret ending is her just talking to Misumaru (the stage 4 boss) about them. Basically they are "unnamed" matter from the Age of the Gods that, because they have never been possessed by a human or given a name, still retain their primeval properties, which is that they contain power equivalent to that of the gods. Reimu's Yin-Yang Orb is also made from Izanagi material, and in fact Misumaru is the one who originally made it (she is super smug about this, and also smug about everything else). Supposedly Dragon Gems are one of the more harmless varieties and we're lucky that the mine hasn't dug up anything worse yet. There's a bit of Dug Too Deep theme to it. IE: everyone is trying to make a profit off of something beyond their understanding, and maybe that's a bad thing.

In general, Misumaru is presented as an extremely mysterious person who knows more about the true situation than anyone else, and also no one recognizes her or knows where she might have come from. She's kind of set up to be more important to the series going forward than she was in this game.

Considering she made the hakurei treasured yingyang orb that definitely puts her high on the secretly important list. I hope she interacts with Okina in the future or something and be smugly mysterious to each other.

Also: you mentioned secret endings? Do you need to beat the game with certain item cards or something?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk78EtCvwXQ

Power stacking can get pretty wacky. When you take out any dialog or menuing I think this is like 10 minutes for an extra stage.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

https://twitter.com/CakeSenpai50/status/1391929440201019393

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

ahhh page 22 is so cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I bought unconnected marketeers because the card system seemed fun and perfect for someone like me, who is bad at touhou games. Last one I played was ten desires (which was 10 years ago....crazy) where I eventually just ran into a wall trying to normal clear, then failed to even do easy clears, and just decided to enjoy the games through replays and such.

and turns out yes it is in fact perfect for someone like me, who is bad at touhou games. It's only easy, but it still felt great gettting the 1ccs of Reimu & Marisa. The cards are really fun to mess with and I am all about a game that lets you break it if yo uget lucky.