Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

It's time to live out your dream of finally getting a power role in a game of Mafia joining an elite law enforcement team - welcome to Everyone's a Cop Mafia!

You are a member of the Metro City Police Force - you worked your butt off to get where you are. Whether you are a recent recruit from the academy, or a grizzled veteran, you consider yourself and your peers to be among those of the highest moral character.

.. Or at least you used to.

Rumors have been spreading recently that the Metro City Police Internal Affairs department is under new leadership - and that they're in the pocket of some of Metro City's most questionable characters. Worse still - they've planted some of their own members in your Precinct and have been sabotaging the careers of good cops, replacing your fellow Dudley Do-Rights with, well, duds.

It is your job as a member of the Boys in Blue to root out the planted members of the Internal Affairs team and clean up the Metro PD before crime runs rampant in Metro City!

I (Mikujin) will be your moderator on this wild ride. A big shout out to TheNinthLayer who helped me put a bit polish on the setup - thanks!

Everyone's a Cop Mafia is a closed setup game of Mafia for 16 players, featuring a robust array of roles - some of which may be familiar, some of which may not!

Standard Mafia Rules apply in this game. Flavour in this game is just that. In addition, non-town roles will be provided reasonable, individualized fake claims - speculate on the setup at your own peril!

All players are encouraged to sign-up in thread. Prospective players, or folks simply interested in watching can join the Everyone's a Cop Mafia Discord - my only request is that if you join you swap your server name to your forum's name for everyone's ease! I will be preferring to do all mod and team communication via Discord - this isn't a mandate, however.

This game is open to all players on a first-come, first-served basis. If at any time you feel you cannot commit to the game, please notify me so that you can be replaced as soon as possible.

Grizzled Gumshoes
  1. 2 penny bottle imp
  2. Amnistar
  3. Anomalous Amalgam
  4. Bernstrike
  5. Dancer
  6. GulagDolls
  7. Hal Incandenza
  8. Leith Maclaine
  9. Mr. Humalong
  10. Mr. Steak
  11. Nep-Nep
  12. Paul ReiserFS
  13. Podima
  14. Sandwolf
  15. Squiggly
  16. Tommu

Mikujin fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Paul ReiserFS posted:

Faster than most nights in Avengers binch

:perfect:

That said, I can go poke the discussion thread again now that I'm done moving but given the saturation level it make take a hot minute. I'm patient.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Paul ReiserFS posted:

I’m gonna bow out for now, may rejoin in the future after some work travel if it hasn’t started yet.

Understandable.I kinda forgot it was still open since mafia-ing has been slow as of late.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Setup doc is still ready. I can post another link to this in the thread and see if there's interest.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Amnistar posted:

I'm gonna be so happy if I accidentally necrod your game.

Zombie cops. Got it.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

I've gone ahead and updated the sign-ups to reflect the people who have confirmed (in some cases, reconfirmed) their interest in this game.

Looks like we just need 2 more.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Paul ReiserFS posted:

I was summoned back to this game

I’m ready to beat my wife and shoot minorities

And this makes 16. Feel free to continue shitposting having a wonderful dialog until roles go out - probably sometime tomorrow.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Power was out for a few hours this afternoon and I've had to catch up on work - I'm still planning on getting PMs out within the next hour or so since they were all prepped in advance. :cheers:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Work done. Game time. Locking the thread while role PMs go out.

Also: discord link in the OP, you should join it to make my life easier.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

The coffee is lukewarm, and the donuts are stale. It's just another day for the members of the Metro City PD. Or, at least you'd like for it to be. The announcement just went out:

Officer Ricky (Plot Device), member of The Boys in Blue was placed on Administrative Leave!

Example Flip posted:

• No Distinguishing Features: Ricky was a pretty unremarkable officer.
  • ... No, really: Most people didn't even know he existed.

Those guys from the Internal Affairs team must've had something to do with this. Everyone knows they're dirty - that they work for the lowest of the low. Better keep your head down while you figure out who these guys are...

The game is officially open. The first deadline will be set 4 days from today - Saturday Dec. 21 @ 11:59 (CST).

If anyone has questions, or if you are missing anything from your role PM, please let me know. I'm always available on Discord - or you can PM me on SA.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

:siren: Also: if you're not in discord get in there to make my life easier when talking to you for night actions, etc. :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

:siren: Also, votecount image added to the op. :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

:siren: Votefinder poo poo should be fixed; if something else is amiss let me know. Player post links added to the OP. :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Votecount for Day 1

Amnistar (4): Squiggly, 2 penny bottle imp, Bernstrike, Leith Maclaine
2 penny bottle imp (4): Bernstrike, GulagDolls, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Podima, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak, Bernstrike, GulagDolls, Podima, Nep-Nep, GulagDolls, Podima, Mr. Humalong
GulagDolls (3): Amnistar, 2 penny bottle imp, Dancer, Amnistar, Paul ReiserFS, Anomalous Amalgam, 2 penny bottle imp
Bernstrike (2): Bernstrike, Bernstrike, Tommu, Hal Incandenza, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak
Squiggly (1): Podima, Anomalous Amalgam, Podima, Anomalous Amalgam, Podima, GulagDolls, Mr. Steak, GulagDolls, Podima
Leith Maclaine (1): Amnistar, Mr. Humalong, Nep-Nep, Nep-Nep, Mr. Humalong
Paul ReiserFS (0): GulagDolls, GulagDolls
Nep-Nep (0): Sandwolf, Sandwolf
Hal Incandenza (0): Anomalous Amalgam, Anomalous Amalgam
Mr. Humalong (0): GulagDolls, GulagDolls
Mr. Steak (0): Mr. Humalong, Mr. Humalong, Bernstrike, Bernstrike
Sandwolf (0): Bernstrike, Bernstrike
Podima (0): Amnistar, Amnistar, Mr. Steak, Mr. Steak

Not Voting (1): Sandwolf

With 16 alive, it's 9 votes to execute. The current deadline is December 21st, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. CST -- that's in about 6 hours, 26 minutes.

:siren: Deadline is hard - I'll be here for it! Please submit your night actions to me within 24 hours or the end of day (or they will be forfeit). They can be sent via SA PM or - preferably - recorded in your Discord journals. :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

:redhammer: Flip in 10-15.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Without really know what, everyone agrees that Internal Affairs is certainly up to something. Even just their presence in the precinct has already thrown the day-to-day into chaos.

"I look like I'm one of them," Dancer pre-empts, "But really, I'm not!"

For awhile, this holds, and they're left to their devices. But as the day drags on, more and more officers interpret Dancer's conspicuous silence as an admission of guilt. At the end of the day, an agreement has been reached: Dancer will be suspended indefinitely.

At the end of the day, a memo goes out releasing Dancer's HR records:

Dancer, self-aligned Double-Agent (Miller Variant) has placed on suspension!

Dancer's HR File posted:

Undercover: No one knows you are actually undercover except yout handler - and they're mising in action. Keep your eyes peeled for other officers that may mistake you as one of the bad guys...
Evade Capture: Once per game, at any time, you can attempt to escape the NSA Agent. If you successfully target the NSA Agent, you win the game immediately.

Shortly after the memo about Dancer's suspension goes out, a reply is quickly broadcast to the precinct:

"Metro City PD, thank you for your assistance in helping my locate a rogue operative asset. I wish you good luck in your internal affairs dispute. Perhaps I'll be lucky enough to work with you all in the future. Signed:"

Hal Incandenza, NSA Agent (Lyncher Variant) has achieved their win condition and leaves their post!

:siren: Night actions in 24 hours or sooner, via PM or discord. Game will go back up immediately upon getting them all. :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

:siren: All night action submissions have now been received. Processing actions and results now - expect the game to open shortly. :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Everyone returns to the office the following day, baffled by the how the previous work day played out. Strange government agencies in the precinct? Who knew!

You sit at your desk and review the station's daily notices. It appears that:

Tommu, Buddy Cop (Confirmed Mason Variant) has been placed on Administrative Leave!

Tommu's HR File posted:

• Dynamic Duo: You and your partner have been working together forever - and you wouldn't have it any other way! You know they are also a member of the Boys in Blue. If you or your pal are suspended or placed on administrative leave, the other will retire at the end of the following day.
  • Deskmates: You and your partner may communicate outside the game at any time.

Your peers all seem to congregate around Tommu's desk, lamenting him being removed from his post. You notice there is an extra Ballpoint Pen on Tommu's desk.

:siren: The deadline for this day will be Thursday, Decemeber 26 @ 8:00 PM CST. :siren:

Deadlines will all be 72 hours or less moving forward - I just wanted to accommodate for folks' holiday schedules (and mine, too!) with this one.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Leith Maclaine posted:

I suspect Christmas eve lunch surprised them.

Mostly this. Hammer is in; flip will come as soon as possible. Night actions are due in by Dec. 26 @ 8:00PM CST. Go enjoy your holidays with friends and family and/or play some mafia.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Some really great flavor and definitely not me being lazy while playing other family games.

Mr. Steak, Internal Affairs Clerk (Busdriver), member of Internal Affairs has been suspended indefinitely!

Mr. Steak's HR File posted:

Lost in the Shuffle: Night actions targeting you have their results delayed by one night (this does not prevent their effects).
Middleman: Each off-duty phase, you may swap the files of two players until morning. This functions as the standard busdriver.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

You enter the precinct early; the holiday cheer is noticeably absent. Unsurprising, given recent events.

You sit down to review the daily station notices:

2 penny bottle imp, Buddy Cop (Confirmed Mason Variant) has retired from the force!

2 penny bottle imp's HR File posted:

• Dynamic Duo: You and your partner have been working together forever - and you wouldn't have it any other way! You know they are also a member of the Boys in Blue. If you or your pal are suspended or placed on administrative leave, the other will retire at the end of the following day.
  • Deskmates: You and your partner may communicate outside the game at any time.

You shake your head wearily. It's always a shame to see a good cop retire - especially so in the case when they're doing so to protest the injustices served in their own precinct.

:siren: The deadline for this day will be Sunday, Decemeber 29 @ 4:00 PM CST. :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Nep-Nep posted:

##unvote

Mikujin just pinged me to note that I should have seen Leith. Mystery solved

Confirming this. I was distracted with boxing day shenanigans and told Nep-nep he saw himself instead of Leith by mistake. Woops.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

:redhammer:

Flip incoming.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Motivated by the loss of a few good officers, those still in the precinct waste no time in applying their professional skills to the office dilemma. Internal Affairs was costing good men and women their jobs, and that wouldn't do.

Officer Podima quickly takes the reins on the investigation, and begins trying to unravel the nebulous flurry of activity. Everyone knew something - but they would figure out everything!

Anomalous Amalgam, however, reminds everyone that they are the Chief of Police, and that - eager though they were - their directives were the only ones that matter. Discord and disconent was running rampant through the precinct, and as Chief, they would restore order.

Ultimately, though, the officers decided not to be pushed around by anyone on this matter. After all, anyone could be in cahoots with Internal Affairs and that was the most alarming thing. Once the votes were tallied, the memo was sent out...

Anomalous Amalgam, Director of Internal Affairs (Godfather), member of Internal Affairs, has been suspended indefinitely!

AA's HR File posted:

• Above Reproach - Investigations of all types are always in your favor.
  • Redact - Once per game, you may redact the information from HR file of a player you place on Administrative Leave. You will be able to review their file beforehand.

:siren: Night actions due within 24 hours. :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

You return to work with a vague sense of unease. So many people you've worked alongside have been removed from their post - some rightfully so, while others less so. "Who might not be in today?" you wonder.

As you sit at your desk and review the stations daily status memo you are pleasantly surprised to find:

There have been no staffing changes.

:siren: Deadline is Tuesday December 31 @ 11:59 PM CST. :siren:

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Squiggly, Supervising Officer for Internal Affairs (Variant Hider) and Leith Maclaine, the Inside Man (Variant Recruit) have revealed themselves as the remaining members of Internal Affairs, and retired from the force!

The Boys in Blue have removed the sinister presence of the Internal Affairs division from the precinct and secured their victory!

For those who want to view it, the Setup Doc is here! The doc includes roles, assignments (as dictated by random.org), the fakeclaims provided to the scum team, as well as night actions!

I will be posting some of my own thoughts and musings on the game shortly - from roles and requirements, to the way things played out!

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Roles
As a role madness game, this was definitely packed with a lot of power. Two roles* in particular ended up being much stronger than expected - largely because of who got them and how they were used.

• Variant Lightning Rod* - In designing the game, we anticipated that this role/power would be used a lot more... prudently. Lightning Rods typically cause more issues for the town than the scum team since they often draw in a bunch of town powers and the scum team can plan around it knowing their intended target didn't die... Or, at least, that was the plan. Instead, the Lightning Rod was used to effectively turn the game into a night action puzzle. A limitation on number of targets might have made this more tactical and less of a blanket puzzle-solving tool. More on this later.
  • Variant Tracker* - When considering the role madness nature of the game where everyone had a power, and over a dozen players had night actions, we did not anticipate that the variant power of Walk the Beat (getting a list of targeted players) to be stronger than the basic tracker. Ultimately, though, it provided a lot of extra information to the town team, who typically don't have quite so much info on their hands.
  • Recruit - In consideration of balance, we wanted to make sure that the scum team wasn't entirely disadvantaged, and thought that 3.5 players was what we wanted to aim for - so this seemed the best option. However, we did not make the scum team aware of the recruit's existence, which left them feeling pretty disadvantaged at the start. Even with the bi-directional recruitment option, knowing about the recruit might have made the scum team a bit more hopeful.
  • Brutal Roleblocker - This role was intended to add a bit of extra death into this game since the scum team did not start with/know their recruit existed. Unfortunately, the roleblocker withheld their action Nights 2/3 so there was no way to inject extra trouble into the game. In hind-sight, making the roleblock mandatory may have been better.
  • 3rd Parties - Since this was a cop-themed game, the cat and mouse mini-game seemed like it would be fun to include, at least in theory. It's hard to really know how it might have actually played out, given the unfortunate circumstances of day 1.

Vote-kills

• Dancer - having the lyncher's target die day 1 was rather anti-climactic! Even though this meant Hal achieved his primary win condition instead of the fall-back, it must've been something to leave on kinda nonplussed. In hindsight, the Undercover Operative was rather under-powered compared to the rest of the cast in that they were a miller with a one-shot escape tool and no way to determine their lyncher. Providing a one-shot death-proof or similar protective option might've been more ideal.
  • Literally All of the Scum Team - Whether due to some collective unconscious or what, every subsequent day saw some members of the remaining scum team stand out and ultimately find themselves under the scrutiny of some of the most active posters in the thread. Sometimes the loudest players just get poo poo done.

Night Actions

• Night 1 - This played out pretty predictably, with the scum team killing off one of the masons. What was surprising here - and a few players comment on it in their journals after AA's flip - is that the scum team chose not to janitor the kill. This left everyone Day 2 giving 2 Penny a free pass, rather than allowing for the room of turning them into a "better safe than sorry" target. The Lightning Rod also only had one person being drawn in, since Paul was prudent with his Day 1 vote (as we'd anticipated in design) and only one other player had voted them.
  • Night 2 - This is where things started to become more puzzle than social game, I feel. The blanket lightning rod usage, accompanied by both the Watcher and Tracker Variant gave the town a ton of information to work off of. That being said, I felt this was a weird turning point in the game because the scum team chose not to kill anyone to prevent revealing Squiggly (via his hider drawback).
  • Night 3 - Once again, the Lightning Rod was there to give the town a lot of information. However, the scum team withholding the kill again prevented them from stopping either Nep's watch or Podima's target tracking, which might have given them day 4 breathing room.

Other Odds and Ends

In reviewing night actions, you may notice that Leith Maclaine was recruited despite not actually hitting either of the actual recruitment methods. This was done to off-set my accidental confirmation of the watch role-claim. It turns out that trying to actually manage the game and player inquiries while playing drinking games with family may have not been the best idea. To off-set this accidental confirmation, I turned his recruitment into an at-next-end-of-day. Unfortunately, this didn't really help the scum team enough with the night action puzzle game having gained a lot of traction.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Podima posted:

Thanks for running this game! I'm coming away with plenty of fun ideas for future games I run. :)

Glad you enjoyed it. Expect a CYOR to open up sometime within the next week - a spiritual sequel to my old Mega Man CYOR.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Squiggly posted:

Sorry if I buzzkilled the game but thanks for running it mikujin

You were totally fine, my dude, no need to apologize. As I noted in my musings, there were a few balance issues me and ninth hadn't anticipated based on what we expected the "average" player to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Leith Maclaine posted:

I think LR could be balanced by NK becomes ninja and strongarm is the killer is included in the LR. That way the LR does control all actions for one night to help town win, but they know they are going to be killed.

If the LR had a limited number of targets and the brutal rolecop was forced to use their action each night, it likely would have been fine.