Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Korthal posted:

Goodfellas was a better movie, fight me.

They're complimentary.

Godfather is the upper class elite mafia.
And Goodfellas is more blue collar mafia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Big Beef City posted:

Like seriously there is something mentally wrong with you to watch the Godfather and come away with it being "What motivates Al Pacino". gently caress me running is that a terrible thing. How do you wake UP every day?

He's just overthinking it.

OP Pacino has been the good boy whose kept his nose outta the business, then when stuff is getting tight and tense he gets emotionally involved, and before long has been seduced into the thing and turns out to actually be the most natural for that life even more than his brothers. So he goes from good boy to competent natural bad boy.
And it's a cool character arc to watch. And yes Kay is an airheaded naive WASP of some sort.

Grape fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 15, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Jose Oquendo posted:

Brando was totally slumming it in Superman but still loving killed it. That's how good he is.

He's got that Harrison Ford energy of somehow still being magnetic even when giving zero fucks.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Wamdoodle posted:

did they have the gabagool during this era?

Yes, yes they did.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Professor Shark posted:

I'm really frustrated that the actor who played Clemenza went all prima donna after the success of the first film and demanded a bunch of poo poo when they went to make Part II, so they wrote out his character.

Kinda, they kept his character in every way but literally. The Frank Pentangeli character is what Clamenza would have been doing, but because they couldn't get the actor without the drama issue, they wrote Clamenza as dying, and just had the new character/actor do all the stuff Clamenza was supposed to do.

Which yeah is a shame, because all of that part would be way more emotionally involving if it had been Clamenza.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

b-minus1 posted:

I actually agree with him. I cannot imagine Clemenza betraying Michael the way that Frank Pentangeli did.

Given the circumstances in 2 of the whole "family oriented clan" turned into "icy soulless business" that fucks Pentangeli over, I definitely can see that.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

mojo1701a posted:

Kay's a textbook mangia-cake.

Naw she's more specifically upper class or upper middle class New England WASP (the waspiest of all wasps short of actual English people), like they mention her being from New Hampshire I think.
Very stiff polite society stuff.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Hooooly cow is Godfather II like the epitome of 70s excess where cokehead studio execs went ahead and let auteur directors just go wild with their prestige pics hoping to nab some of that sweet, sweet prestige and credibility dollars. Like suddenly The Godfather is now a 220 minute (it has an intermission(!!)) history-spanning globe-trotting epic and it's like every other scene takes place during an extravagant celebration with hundreds of extras because they gave Francis Ford Coppola a truckload of money to burn. It's like if they edited in all the key scenes from Episodes I, II, III (with Robert Deniro playing Anakin Skywalker) throughout The Empire Strikes Back, that's how ridiculously huge Godfather Part Two is.

Now before you all get on my case about sacrilege or whatever I do think this is a masterfully crafted movie but drat you can see how this flick inspired self-indulgent messes like Heaven's Gate and Star Trek: The Motion Picture and eventually killed the whole 70s era of gritty dramas dead.

I do agree that Godfather II is kind of overwhelming, but intermissions weren't totally unheard of back then.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

FuhrerHat posted:

this is the best scene in the movie

frank tries to request a song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGRl4MwG_A

Italian tradition vanishing into the void of white middle America...

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Following up on this, I think I'm finally starting to get the Michael Corleone character a lot more comfortably than I did previously. I had a hard time squaring his apparent ambition in expanding the Corleone empire with his simultaneous lack of joy or passion for the gangster life. But I see pretty clearly now that he's doing it because he's convinced it's simply the way things must be, either because of fate or duty or both.

I described him as "losing his soul" before, and it turns out that's even more accurate than I thought: Michael gave up living his own life (possibly because after his first wife gets blown the gently caress up he believes he simply can't) and dedicated it in service to something that he thought was much bigger than himself.

There's a notion that Michael feels obligated to some long tradition (Kay describes it as "this Sicilian thing that's been going on for over 2000 years") but what we see is that as far as the Corleone family goes there is no tradition: Vito barely knew his own father, "Corleone" isn't even the original family name, and he started the business himself. The family is happy and flourishes under Vito but becomes unraveled under Michael because Vito still had his soul - Vito was his own man. Michael wants to fill a perceived void after Vito dies but as he himself notes, times change. Vito is dead and gone. Michael's family doesn't need Vito, they need Michael.

The movie's basically grand and romantic dressing on a story in which a breadwinner sacrifices his own desires and takes up an all-consuming profession that he doesn't even like but is good at, believing by doing so he'll be a good provider just like his father was, but everyone's miserable and the spouse divorces and every one hates him and in the end all he has left is "success" at a job he doesn't even give a poo poo about and is a hollow empty shell of a man.

Awesome. Now don't watch Part 3, it's actually depressing because of how lame it is.
It's like finding an awesome celebrity you love the old work of, and finding out they've become a chubby old loser.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

My vague memory is that while Sofia is the worst, that Andy Garcia is worse than her in scenes where he's supposed to get loud and emotional.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

As the main antagonist they cast the least threatening looking Italian-American ever, John Turturro. He looks approximately 12 years old in the movie and has a permanent evil scowl.

John Turturro when younger looked kinda of like my dad when he had hair lol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

This movie constantly going WAY out of its way to NOT reflect its time period is getting on my nerves. There's this swanky get-together and they're playing 1940s band music and I know these are mostly stuffy suits and old folks but come the gently caress ON.

That is very accurate for old Italian-Americans though. On that one count. Like brassy Tony Bennett/Louie Prima type music.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I remember as a little kid staring at the cannolis at the pizza place down the street and wondering what they were. Always wondering. They had them behind a glass display up front.

They were entrancing.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Have they ever explained what the rationale was for Pacino's spiky hair in this one? Who decided it would be best for Michael Corleone to appear as though he'd just stuck his finger into an electrical socket?

Hey you wanted 1979 vibes. He's getting his Billy Idol on.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

In the last scene mentioned earlier Pacino drives off in a camaro blasting the Buzzcocks and singing along, then gets shot from a passing car by a hitman dressed up like Adam Ant.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sir Nose posted:

Duvall correctly sussed the whole project as a cash grab, and refused to consider it unless he got a comparable paycheck to Pacino's. But Winona Ryder wasn't a money thing, she bailed at the last second because of exhaustion or something like that, so Coppola quick stuck his daughter in.

I want to see the Winona Ryder version, all Gen Xed up and everything.
Featuring the hit song "Bedhead" by Mudhoney.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Michael: Those men are going to kill us! I am NOT KIDDING, we need TO RUN.
*Winona rolls her eyes*

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Going off these movies Sicily looks pretty much exactly like Cyprus. Except greener.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

mojo1701a posted:

The local supermarket subsidiary's bakery section advertises a giant cannoli stuffed with regular cannoli. I'm almost tempted to host a Godfather night where friends sit and devour this thing while watching the movie.

that just looks like an alien's genitals, not appetizing

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

mojo1701a posted:

Perfectly acceptable new world Italian to add an 's' to pluralize something. "Grill up some paninis," "order some biscottis with your expresso," and so on.

There's that thing where parts of the end of the word get left off.
Mozzarella = Motz for example.
Some sort of Neapolitan/Sicilian dialect thing I think.

Though not with Paninis, expressos and biscottis. That's North Italy poo poo. The snooty pseudo-French/Swiss Italians.

Grape fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 19, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Aka the people who atlas like hold up the entire economy

Not in the New World. :smuggo:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Have fine dining Italian while watching Godfathers 1 and 2.
Have homecooked Italian or great pizza while watching Goodfellas.
Have noodles with ketchup while watching Godfather 3.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

GoutPatrol posted:

Egg noodles with ketchup

drat it THAT was the quote

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Poasty posted:

It's shocking how much Talia Shire's performance improves from the first to the second movie.

She has more of a role is all I think. She's barely a character at all in the first one.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

The studio also didn't like Al Pacino partly because he was too unknown, but also because he was too actually Italian looking for a leading man (swarthy and scary looking). And wanted Ryan O'Neal instead.

This is Ryan O'Neal.

Imagine that if you will.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Imagine the Nevada senator from II doing his racist "oily hair" bit, except it's aimed at Dirtyblonde McPinkerson.

Also imagine him being movie brothers with John Cazale lol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

They didn't bother with James Caan, and he was supposed to be brothers with Pacino and Cazale. Apparently they even considered Robert Redford (!).

Hey Hollywood turns the ancient Romans and Greeks into blonde blue eyed Aryans with British accents, why not for modern Italians and Greeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

SimonCat posted:

Does anyone think that Marlon Brando was playing Vito to Old in The Godfather? He is supposed to be 54 at the start of the first movie but he always seems a lot older.

He plays him more feebly after the shooting mostly, which is kinda plausible?