Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Miserable Maid posted:

Maybe my brain is just ruined by the disease of capitalism... But it's so weird seeing insane amounts of money put into it, without actually selling anything

They're selling the rest of their regular fashion lines/their brand in general

It's similar to those wacky futuristic concept cars at the big auto shows. they're showing off their abilities and vision, saying "look what we're capable of imagining and building"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Without even taking a second to do a quick cursory Google search, I’d bet the Byzantines wore some really wacky/tacky poo poo at some points in their history. At least I hope so, they were my favorite faction in Age of Empires 2.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Laslow posted:

Without even taking a second to do a quick cursory Google search, I’d bet the Byzantines wore some really wacky/tacky poo poo at some points in their history. At least I hope so, they were my favorite faction in Age of Empires 2.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Nice orb.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Laslow posted:

The Byzantine empire existed for over 1100 years.
When it started they were dressing as late era Romans (because they were). Then 500 years went by and you get to the middle ages and Frankish medival stuff. K then they still had 500 MORE years to go. By time they petered out it was the mid 1400's. Yes fashion changed A BIT during those fleeting moments for them.

Think about how much fashioned changed even in 'ye olde days' that we see in this thread in the 16-1700s in an era before fast communication of pop culture over the span of maybe 40 years, in some of the examples shown... Alright now you're one of the most dominant cultures on Earth, sprung from one of the ALREADY most dominant ones, with access to all the goods and services the old world had to offer. And you exist for 11+ centuries. Things changed....a little. During that span.

You also have to remember that during its height, (and at various other times) the Byzantine empire was loving HUGE. Like. REALLY huge. Look at this map. Think about fashion trends that might vary in these places today, or in the times SINCE the Byzantine empire. Now think about why it's hard to define fashion for them as a whole during their time as an Empire.

Here are just some fancy hats across the centuries for them.

Big Beef City fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 18, 2019

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Miserable Maid posted:

Maybe my brain is just ruined by the disease of capitalism... But it's so weird seeing insane amounts of money put into it, without actually selling anything

They're selling the fashion show, not the clothes.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Miserable Maid posted:

Something no one has ever been explained to me, and I hope the goons can enlighten me, is what point that kind of fashion serves. Like, is it just a big art show? Are they actually trying to get people to buy it? It's it a joke?

Like they spend so much money on it, it's weird

Art show/selling perfume/accessories

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

This is like too easy.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Kazak posted:

They're selling the rest of their regular fashion lines/their brand in general

It's similar to those wacky futuristic concept cars at the big auto shows. they're showing off their abilities and vision, saying "look what we're capable of imagining and building"

Well, it obviously works sometimes.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mordja posted:

It looks like Aliexpress quality but I guess that's intentional.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

I'm the rattan basket turned upside down

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mordja posted:

let's be honest, wouldn't we all like to feel like that about something a bit more?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Alucard posted:

I'm the rattan basket turned upside down

Drunk at the pottery barn, AGAIN!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Literally A Person posted:

Drunk at the pottery barn, AGAIN!

Andronikos man you gotta mix your wine concentrate with water were banned from ever bar in Nicaea.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Andronikos man you gotta mix your wine concentrate with water were banned from ever bar in Nicaea.

Bro, which of the16 Eudocia/Eudoxias here at any given second are you going for? I thinking of asking Eudocia out.

font color sea
Jan 23, 2017

Expelliarmus!

Don't diss disco archer, he was absolutely lit

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Fashion only mattered to the filthy rich

Throughout all of modern human history 99% of everyone looked like some guy in rags. My personal favourite look is "whatever I could get my hands on so I didn't perish to the elements"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

That's not true.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Just because we have the best records of doofs with a rattan basket on their head with a purple cloak doesn't mean the dirt farmers weren't entertaining themselves with cool clothes.

SMH in 500 years when they are sorting through the flooded remains of a war torn society they are going to find all the stupid fashion show clothes instead of my silk Goku shirt.

DeathCrabForCutie
Jul 14, 2019
oh fuc-

zedprime posted:

Just because we have the best records of doofs with a rattan basket on their head with a purple cloak doesn't mean the dirt farmers weren't entertaining themselves with cool clothes.

SMH in 500 years when they are sorting through the flooded remains of a war torn society they are going to find all the stupid fashion show clothes instead of my silk Goku shirt.

This. All humans have pretty much always put crazy-rear end stuff on their bodies to affect their aesthetic/project status/express culture, regardless of socio-economic status.

Most of what's archaeologically visible as far as lower-class fashion trends go is either a) "crude and/or lovely" compared to the stuff the upper classes were making at the same time, so non-archaeologists don't really give a gently caress or b) a crude or lovely version of whatever trends rich people were following, because their owners wanted to seem rich/higher-status. Though there are some examples of commoners doing their own thing.

e: right terms

DeathCrabForCutie fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 19, 2019

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Peasants went naked until 1902 when one Jesus Christ Penny opened up his namesake department store and clothed the masses' asses

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Dirt Farming Peasant: Nice grey and brown rags, Mabel

Other Dirt Farming peasant: gently caress off, Midge.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
It's a shame the muff has fallen out of style.

You just know she's packing dual pistols in there and maybe a sandwich.

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

Zzulu posted:

Throughout all of modern human history 99% of everyone looked like some guy in rags. My personal favourite look is "whatever I could get my hands on so I didn't perish to the elements"

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Zzulu posted:

Even peasant serfs wore several layers of clothing while working, and often had a separate set of clothing for social occasions, they also liked to accessorize.

They didn't have the gaudy accoutrements of the nobleage, but they did have their own fashions and trends.

Even people in rags tried to make their rags look good and in line with everyone else's. A poor farmer still made sure he was wearing male "appropriate" attire and was concerned about how his appearance came off to others, poor and working class people don't suddenly stop caring about poo poo that practically every human being does just because they can't blow huge amounts of cash on it.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Zzulu posted:

Counterpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W27PnUuXR_A

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Anne Whateley posted:

meanwhile the gross dude is obviously ripping his dick off in his mohair suit

I cannot really understand the suit itself but this sentence fragment is perfect.
:boom:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

Whatever planet this guy's from seems pretty cool actually

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Even peasant serfs wore several layers of clothing while working, and often had a separate set of clothing for social occasions, they also liked to accessorize.

They didn't have the gaudy accoutrements of the nobleage, but they did have their own fashions and trends.

Even people in rags tried to make their rags look good and in line with everyone else's. A poor farmer still made sure he was wearing male "appropriate" attire and was concerned about how his appearance came off to others, poor and working class people don't suddenly stop caring about poo poo that practically every human being does just because they can't blow huge amounts of cash on it.

In other words, that guy in a skirt would at the very least have been mercilessly mocked if noy beaten for hid outfit

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

How have we gone this far without making fun of the Swiss Guard?

Protect the Pope and look like a goddamn party clown during ceremonial duties!

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf

LadyPictureShow posted:

How have we gone this far without making fun of the Swiss Guard?

Protect the Pope and look like a goddamn party clown during ceremonial duties!

surely that's the old-timey equivalent of high-viz

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Today's Orthodox clothing is pretty much what Byz emperors used to wear.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

the end result of exposing a bunch of canned hams to gamma radiation

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Sekenr posted:

The Orthodox Church split with the Roman church during the time of the Byzantine Empire and its principle Patriarchate is located in Istanbul, formerly Constantinople, which was the capitol city of Byzantium, so that would be why that is. But, yep. Kinda similar in some ways. Still a projection of power.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Part-Time Maenad posted:

"Got my bow, my smurf hat, and my clown-vomit wool jumpsuit; I'm all ready to fight some Greeks."

Kitty cat shirt - check. Abstract patterned leggings - check. Change to predominantly pastel purple/pink/blue and this is not far off from modern attire for elementary-school aged girls.

Mordja posted:

The design isn't that weird but I think skin tone has a lot to do with what you can pull off, and lime green just isn't a good look on most pale folks.

These guys can really rock the bright colors, and kudos to them.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

It's like someone spilled silly putty into a Ross Dress for Less.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Sekenr posted:

"This is what I think of your posts!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sekenr posted:

Did Byzantine emperor's have the fixture on top of the hat on a hinge so they could fit in a sedan without taking their hat off?