Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

zedprime posted:

Did Byzantine emperor's have the fixture on top of the hat on a hinge so they could fit in a sedan without taking their hat off?

Is this like a "popes in a volkswagen" joke...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The word "bespoke" comes to mind.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Literally A Person posted:

Is this like a "popes in a volkswagen" joke...?
https://giphy.com/gifs/cross-folding-kirill-5yj8xdPt9HZOo

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Nice shoes, IDIOT

Nice crotch, IDIOT

Nice coat, MORON

Nice hat, RETARD

Nice decade, NERD

*dumps the 70s books*

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

Linux Pirate posted:

Nice coat, MORON

lol look at this level 1 scrub about to get pickpocketed

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

zedprime posted:

Did Byzantine emperor's have the fixture on top of the hat on a hinge so they could fit in a sedan without taking their hat off?

Certainly possible.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

thanks! :)

Oh, ok.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Water, Earth, Shadow, Wind, and Fire

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

T H I C C hips

Just watched it and shared it with a few friends, this is amazing. I have no idea why their families put up with living in debt and squalor for the sake of their cosplaying habit, but they sure look fancy.

This is the one that got to me. His son looks absolutely terrified in the first background shot they catch him in which soured me even before he started relating the details of all the loans he's taken out to wear $3,800 shoes while his sister works in a field.

The taxi driver was so enthusiastic and had his priorities straight, that was a high note to end it on. On the whole I want to like these guys because who doesn't go :swoon: at a dapper suit, but, it's waaay easier when they're not sacrificing their families for their cosplaying addiction.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Aug 19, 2019

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/41Strange/status/1163534456579186688

Not even David Bowie can make those pants look good.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

I just wanted to find some good ol' giant shoulder pads and demin everything for nostalgia's sake, but pinterest and etsy cannot be escaped...

Zoe fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 19, 2019

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Zoe posted:

I just wanted to find some good ol' giant shoulder pads and demin everything for nostalgia's sake, but pinterest and etsy cannot be escaped...

Linebacker chic? I don't know....

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer

Zoe posted:

Just watched it and shared it with a few friends, this is amazing. I have no idea why their families put up with living in debt and squalor for the sake of their cosplaying habit, but they sure look fancy.

This is the one that got to me. His son looks absolutely terrified in the first background shot they catch him in which soured me even before he started relating the details of all the loans he's taken out to wear $3,800 shoes while his sister works in a field.

The taxi driver was so enthusiastic and had his priorities straight, that was a high note to end it on. On the whole I want to like these guys because who doesn't go :swoon: at a dapper suit, but, it's waaay easier when they're not sacrificing their families for their cosplaying addiction.

Aww. I hadn't watched the video. It makes me sad to hear that these guys are bankrupting themselves and their families for this hobby. Truth be told this probably happens a lot to people with shoe or purse addictions and guys doing this with suits is something I'd never considered.

I knew a girl who was spending > $7K a year on purses when she was making $30K. And her boyfriend had like 100 pairs of shoes.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I absolutely love the 80s working woman "let's make the shoulders huge because guys wear suits, that makes sense right?" style. I really wish Murphy Brown-chic would make a comeback.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Huge shoulders? Yes, I too would like to dress like a kite. Please sign me up!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

green chicken feet posted:

I knew a girl who was spending > $7K a year on purses when she was making $30K. And her boyfriend had like 100 pairs of shoes.

And I have a cousin months behind on child support because he can't stop buying Transformers toys. Addiction is addiction.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It's coming back.
Last night on one of the national networks for one of the NFL games, one of the women on the sports desk for the game (so, nationally broadcast, not some local thing) was wearing shoulder pads bigger than some of the players that were STRAIGHT across. Like a drat capital T. I said "woah" outloud because I'd heard they were starting to make a comeback somewhere, but not like THAT

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Women's airplane cosplay apparel.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Literally A Person posted:

Women's airplane cosplay apparel.
You mean they cosplay as stewardess's, or do they cosplay as planes?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I lived in W. Africa for nearly 3 years (between Burkina Faso and Ghana). There are a lot of incredibly poor people there. Even people that worked fields had their clothes for going into town and they made sure they were cleaned and pressed. If you had a wrinkly shirt or a smudge on your pants they would just call you out for having dirty clothes. They don't have much so there is a lot of pride in what they do have.

remember frosted tips?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

SardonicTyrant posted:

You mean they cosplay as stewardess's, or do they cosplay as planes?

You would think the former but....

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

Hey, let's live in a country where like 90% of the population lives way below the poverty level and spend a quarter million dollars on a shirt. What could possibly go wrong?

oh

:whitewater:

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
He was a "money lender" lol

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Why on earth would you leave your citadel if you owned a 240k dollar shirt? I bet he could afford a 70" OLED tv and both a Playstation 4 and Xbox One. What else could you possibly need?

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
From "La Ilustración", a spanish newspaper from 1849:
"Contrasts in Fashion - Then and Now"

"The Hat and Cane"

"The Bearskin"

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So confident, so majestic.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

He may be stylin', but that's one skinny-rear end hoe.

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
"Knowing People from Head to Toe"

"Young, widow, brave, superficial/basic, fussy, lives from the hunger of others,
diligent student, slacker, talkative, curious, painter, show-off/swagger, meddlesome, insolent
snobby, unemployed, comfy, flirty, unashamed, weighty, man lacking something."

Temaukel fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 20, 2019

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

Head shop casual.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

I mean, yeah the bridesmaids are supposed to have hideous dresses but, Christ, it's like the bride said to herself, "is there anyway I can make my bridesmaids look as appealing as a rotten half-eaten corn cob on the side of the highway?"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

IDK they look happy with their ripe banana dresses :kiddo:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
The 70s were such a loving mess holy poo poo man.

The_Continental posted:

remember frosted tips?

That was a good post!

I'll add to the 90s terror you unleashed by asking:

remember when the Asian kids all had their hair with that one long bang for like one summer in 1999???

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

What the gently caress was wrong with people in the early 2000s?????

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Too much money.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Too much money.

Also, some kind of brain eating parasite. One that implants a message in your frontal cortex that you are unable to resist. "Dress me like a space-hobo from the year 3021."

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I am fully onboard with 2000's street fashion coming back on the condition that the genital-riding low waisted pants are a unisex item.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Actually, just cut to the chase and bring back the tights and codpieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Miserable Maid posted:

Something no one has ever been explained to me, and I hope the goons can enlighten me, is what point that kind of fashion serves. Like, is it just a big art show? Are they actually trying to get people to buy it? It's it a joke?

Like they spend so much money on it, it's weird

Some people have more money than sense. So much that they can't think of sensible ways to spend it. See also such things as yachting, golf, horse racing and this $25000 mug of hot chocolate: