Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Roosevelt posted:

when i was a kid my parents and their friends would throw "over the hill" birthday parties for each other when one of them would turn 40. they had like black balloons and old person jokes for this person who was clearly decaying in the throes of old age. i wonder if anyone still does that any more, or if 40 is too young for that now

i havent heard of anybody doing one since my parents turned 40. i think it's only "too young" bc people are too vain to admit that they're 40, and that 40 is old. that is, i think "over the hill" still applies, but that there's a way higher percentage of people who would get super pissed about it than there were a few decades ago, so people don't do it as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
one weird thing i didn't plan to do but just started mentally doing when i turned 40 is i started to countdown how many years away i am from the age my dad died

(23 years to go)

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Cold on a Cob posted:

one weird thing i didn't plan to do but just started mentally doing when i turned 40 is i started to countdown how many years away i am from the age my dad died

(23 years to go)

a friend of mine did that but the age was 32

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
normal humans have parties every weekend

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Roosevelt posted:

when i was a kid my parents and their friends would throw "over the hill" birthday parties for each other when one of them would turn 40. they had like black balloons and old person jokes for this person who was clearly decaying in the throes of old age. i wonder if anyone still does that any more, or if 40 is too young for that now
*james franco at gallows* raised by boomers huh

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Cold on a Cob posted:

(23 years to go)

the coolest thing i saw was a guy who figured out how many weeks he had left given his avg life expectancy and bought that many 3x5 cards and every sunday he picked a blank one off the pile, wrote down what he did that week and put it in the other pile

my wife wont let me do it because she thinks its morbid but i think its awesome.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

the coolest thing i saw was a guy who figured out how many weeks he had left given his avg life expectancy and bought that many 3x5 cards and every sunday he picked a blank one off the pile, wrote down what he did that week and put it in the other pile

my wife wont let me do it because she thinks its morbid but i think its awesome.

that's actually a neat idea and i like it but probably not a good idea for people with mood disorders vOv

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

different people take it different ways which is why i didnt make a fuss about it with the wife. I can see how it's upsetting for her, but for me it's more of a "make the best of what u got" type deal

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

different people take it different ways which is why i didnt make a fuss about it with the wife. I can see how it's upsetting for her, but for me it's more of a "make the best of what u got" type deal

plus if you're still alive when you run out of cards you get to go buy a new pack and write "conquered death" on the first one

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

(23 years to go)

uhhhhhh 19 here. or something. idk.

rotor posted:

this is actually the worst thing i've ever heard of in my life. and i have seen faces of death films

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

plus if you're still alive when you run out of cards you get to go buy a new pack and write "conquered death" on the first one

BONUS TIME

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Jonny 290 posted:

this is actually the worst thing i've ever heard of in my life. and i have seen faces of death films

Everyone dies, jonny. But not everyone ... truly lives! [yosposts for 5 hours straight]

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

Everyone dies, jonny. But not everyone ... truly lives! [yosposts for 5 hours straight]

c weekend project s: filling my nas with media i'll never have time to enjoy

drat that's maybe more morbid than the index card thing

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

rotor posted:

I think it's great. It's pretty well established that practicing gratitude is good for your mental health. Seems like a good way to at least try to remember the good poo poo that happens in the context of your own mortality.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Kenny Logins posted:

*james franco at gallows* raised by boomers huh

Bruh I remember some of the gag gifts at my uncle's over-the-hill party ca 2001. One of them was a knit sweater for his cock and balls. It was loving weird.

Things Boomers Love: spending real money on mass manufactured gag gifts that are going to immediately be shoved in a box in the attic, if not thrown away outrigbt

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

shoeberto posted:

I think it's great. It's pretty well established that practicing gratitude is good for your mental health. Seems like a good way to at least try to remember the good poo poo that happens in the context of your own mortality.

when you frame it like that, this reminds me:

a non-morbid thing my partner and i do is every night before we go to sleep we ask each other "what was your favourite part of the day?"

even on the worst days too, because even on the worst days it's good to find perspective

you could do this on your own if you don't have a partner too, that's what my partner used to do when she first started doing it.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

when my dad died we found this bag of small journals in his stuff. my grandfather wrote down stuff that happened to him every day for years. it's all basic description too, like "went to the diner with tony for lunch. chicken salad" absolutely no thoughts or emotions of any kind which im told was extremely on brand for him

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cold on a Cob posted:

a non-morbid thing my partner and i do is every night before we go to sleep we ask each other "what was your favourite part of the day?"

aww

ima try that

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

shoeberto posted:

Things Boomers Love: spending real money on mass manufactured gag gifts that are going to immediately be shoved in a box in the attic, if not thrown away outrigbt

imo a real turning point in our culture was when they started making intentionally ugly christmas sweaters instead of people going to the thrift store to find one. I’d guess at this point there’s enough of those to fill a rack at goodwill but people still buy new ones, it’s horrifying if you think about it too much

nowadays I pretty much only give people food or booze as gifts unless they ask me for something specific

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

My wife's brother, back when they were on speaking terms, would give people lottery tickets as an Xmas gift. I always thought that was the ultimate in lovely gifts. It's basically the same as giving nothing but he still spent money on it.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i'd honestly rather receive a lotto ticket than half the poo poo i've received over the years and immediately donated to goodwill :\

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

normalize just giving someone $20 in an envelope

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
the following people get me good gifts:

* my partner
* yospos secret santas, when i take part, have been pretty good
* this one really good friend who doesn't give me gifts during xmas or birthday but if he just sees a random thing he knows i'll like he'll buy

everyone else needs to stop buying me stuff

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

normalize just giving someone $20 in an envelope

this is what we do for any nieces and nephews > 10 years old except more like $50 each

mystes
May 31, 2006

I keep it classy by just giving people a note saying that I emitted 2 tons of CO2 in their honor.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I’d be pretty excited to get a pile of scratch off tickets for Christmas. Better than getting something off my list that I actually wanted to buy in November but put on my list so people could have presents to give.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I would rather receive nothing than scratchoffs. You're ending up with nothing either way but at least no one wasted their money.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

qirex posted:

imo a real turning point in our culture was when they started making intentionally ugly christmas sweaters instead of people going to the thrift store to find one. I’d guess at this point there’s enough of those to fill a rack at goodwill but people still buy new ones, it’s horrifying if you think about it too much

I think about how there is surely a layer in landfills across the world made out of trucker's caps.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

my mother in law gave me a bunch of scratch & win tickets for my birthday and I was pretty stoked. won 27 bucks and bought some new swim trunks

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

My grandmother likes to give me $20 by palming it to me like a mob boss paying for a favor

Or did when I would see her on the holidays, been a long while

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my grandma did that move too

grandmas rule

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

qirex posted:

nowadays I pretty much only give people food or booze as gifts unless they ask me for something specific

Same. I demand consumables.

The only ugly sweater party I have gone to was nothing but Amazon purchases. I didn't even realize it was A Thing. My wife and I hit the racks at Goodwill and took what we could find. The whole thing was disheartening in a weird way.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Roosevelt posted:

i havent seen one since my moms

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

in how to with john wilson he reveals that he;s a big weirdo that writes down a few sentences about what he did & ate every day and he keeps all the records in a bunch of books at home. cant find a clip of that scene online but i thought it was neat

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Kevin Spacey’s character in Se7en kept lots of journals. Now there was a man with a plan

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
the last ugly sweater thing someone wore a ugly sweater with BUILD THE WALL and a knit representation of the border wall.

it was ugly inside and outside

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

in how to with john wilson he reveals that he;s a big weirdo that writes down a few sentences about what he did & ate every day and he keeps all the records in a bunch of books at home. cant find a clip of that scene online but i thought it was neat

I remember everyone being really excited about the Andy Warhol Diaries book then it turned out to be like hundreds of pages of that.

quote:

June 21st. Took a cab to Studio 54. $3.17 with tip. Saw the Halstons. Ate at Chez Whatever, had the salmon. $45 with tip. Talked to Mick and Jerry for a bit, he had a sesame seed in his teeth. Home by 1am.

Like hundreds of pages of poo poo like that.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

rotor posted:

I remember everyone being really excited about the Andy Warhol Diaries book then it turned out to be like hundreds of pages of that.

yeah the john wilson scene was basically like that, but he used it to help make his films i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

theres something almost perfectly warholian about a detailed day-by-day account of life among the a-list glitterati being incredibly boring and banal