Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cold on a Cob posted:

they've got a korean bbq burger right now with these pickled onions on it that's delicious tbh

The Korean BBQ Cheeseburger features a quarter-pound of fresh, never frozen Canadian beef topped with mix of pickled red onions, spiced bacon, sweet BBQ sauce, jalapeño jack cheese, lettuce, tomato, and mayo on a toasted bun.

drat i just used my ground beef stash for bibimbap or i'd make an attempt this weekend.

gonna add the needful to my next instacart order and i will get back to you with same

been thinking about an attempt at pickled daikon too, so might work that in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

been thinking about an attempt at pickled daikon too, so might work that in

hell yeah

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
here's a good and easy thing to do:

put kimchi on your cheeseburger

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

rotor posted:

here's a good and easy thing to do:

put kimchi on your food

still proud of my kimchi grilled cheese with curry+gochujang ketchup

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
kimchi fried rice is easy and delicious too

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
*hanson voice*

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the korean burger place here closed down last year when the owners retired

rip burger-tex, bulgogi burgs and kimchi 1973-2020

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

i did this exact thing 20 times last night while making dinner, yes

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i'm not a big fan of cabbage, so kimchi isn't for me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
god i fuckin love cabbage. favorite side recipe lately is just take a head of napa, quarter it lengthwise, work some garlic in between the leaves and cover it with bacon, then roast for 30mins. gorgeous, all the bacon fat drips in between the layers and fries it lightly from the inside out

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
love to make fridge pickles with napa cabbage and lil green beans and radish slices and stuff

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
btw if you do use it to make fried rice or as a burg topping or whatever it helps to shred it a bit

Mr. Nice! posted:

me neither but kimchi has a completely different vibe imo

you do you though

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
napa is also good stir fried with fresh ginger

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my bibimbap last night was

* spinach sauteed with garlic, gochugaru (korean red pepper flakes), soy sauce and a bit of rice wine vinegar
* carrots sauteed with ginger and brown sugar
* beef with gochujang (korean red pepper paste), shaoxing wine (THIS poo poo IS THE BEST) and a different soy sauce
* big batch of calrose rice

it was so good

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
hell yeah that sounds really good

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

my bibimbap last night was

* spinach sauteed with garlic, gochugaru (korean red pepper flakes), soy sauce and a bit of rice wine vinegar
* carrots sauteed with ginger and brown sugar
* beef with gochujang (korean red pepper paste), shaoxing wine (THIS poo poo IS THE BEST) and a different soy sauce
* big batch of calrose rice

it was so good
sounds delicious ngl

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Nice! posted:

kimchi is the ultimate form of alchemy turning lead like cabbage into gold

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

all cabbages just taste really bitter and acrid. similarly, bell peppers and green chilis have a taste that i really don't like. i still cook with em, though, because they add a necessary flavor to some things.

i can't do the same with cabbage or onions.

i acknowledge full well that my sense of taste is completely hosed. sugar pills taste like dirt instead of tasting sickly sweet to me, for example. i try to not make it anyone else's problem and just work out food that works for me rather than have anyone bend over backwards for me.

Mr. Nice! fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Feb 26, 2021

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

all cabbages just taste really bitter and acrid. similarly, bell peppers and green chilis have a taste that i really don't like. i still cook with em, though, because they add a necessary flavor to some things.

i can't do the same with cabbage or onions.

i acknowledge full well that my sense of taste is completely hosed. sugar pills taste like dirt instead of tasting sickly sweet to me, for example. i try to not make it anyone else's problem and just work out food that works for me rather than have anyone bend over backwards for me.

alliums are holy

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i go through five pounds of yellow onions and two bunches of green every single week

I gave up on garlic, though. I don't buy bulbs. I know it's slumming it but i use the giant jars of minced garlic, foodservice-style now. It's totally fine if you're cooking it down a while.

(garlic turned to poo poo in the produce section last year. i got tired of ordering 4 bulbs and getting four things full of tiny, hard to peel garlic slivers vs. actual cloves. i'll let a machine do that poo poo.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

I made a quick green cabbage kimchi a few days ago and had kimchi fried rice for lunch yesterday and today and it was very needs suiting.

Jonny 290 posted:

i go through five pounds of yellow onions and two bunches of green every single week

I gave up on garlic, though. I don't buy bulbs. I know it's slumming it but i use the giant jars of minced garlic, foodservice-style now. It's totally fine if you're cooking it down a while.

(garlic turned to poo poo in the produce section last year. i got tired of ordering 4 bulbs and getting four things full of tiny, hard to peel garlic slivers vs. actual cloves. i'll let a machine do that poo poo.)
If you're feeling lazy and don't want to peel it yourself you're probably still better off at least getting whole peeled garlic cloves and just grating them or something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Captain Foo posted:

alliums are holy

garlic is the only one i can tolerate, and even then only in limited quantities. i don't like some ketchup varieties because they have too much onion powder.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Mr. Nice! posted:

garlic is the only one i can tolerate, and even then only in limited quantities. i don't like some ketchup varieties because they have too much onion powder.

sorry for your presumably hosed up tasting genes :(

(that's sincere and i'm not dunking on you. i love all the foods you apparently can't tolerate)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah food pickiness chat is interesting to me. I don't hate you all that have weird aversions to foods that i love, i just feel bad. and its not in a condescending way.

one of my best friends is basically allergic to the entire nightshade family. look that poo poo up and see how much food you can't eat and weed you can't smoke.

an old buddy back in AR was allergic to ALL poultry and ALL shellfish. Dude just ate steaks all the time and got early onset heart issues.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

the ghost of cilantro rears its ugly head

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

eh, it's life. i wish this poo poo didn't bother me, because i'd love to eat all the amazing food that i'll never get to enjoy. i couldn't eat the majority of food i sold to people in my taco truck, but i knew how it should taste. even if i didn't personally like the outcome, i knew when it was right. i make badass pico de gallo and guacamole that i'll never get to enjoy because it is 99% things i don't like. when i'm cooking for other people, i'll just set aside stuff that i like for me or cook a small dish just for myself separate from what everyone else is eating.

but it is what it is, so whatever. there are still a lot of amazing things i do like, and when i'm cooking stuff myself it is pretty easy to make things without alliums or cabbages.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Mr. Nice! posted:

eh, it's life. i wish this poo poo didn't bother me, because i'd love to eat all the amazing food that i'll never get to enjoy. i couldn't eat the majority of food i sold to people in my taco truck, but i knew how it should taste. even if i didn't personally like the outcome, i knew when it was right. i make badass pico de gallo and guacamole that i'll never get to enjoy because it is 99% things i don't like. when i'm cooking for other people, i'll just set aside stuff that i like for me or cook a small dish just for myself separate from what everyone else is eating.

but it is what it is, so whatever. there are still a lot of amazing things i do like, and when i'm cooking stuff myself it is pretty easy to make things without alliums or cabbages.

this is a real good attitude

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

if the worst thing i've gotta deal with in a day is picking a couple onions off a burger, then i've had a pretty decent day.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think my mom permanently put me off of onions by encouraging me to bite into one like an apple when I was like 4

I can stand onion flavors and such to a degree, and I even like onion rings but in general I dislike onions

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

that's where I'm at right now, too. the last 'fresh' garlic I ordered curbside was tiny and a few were turning already, just a total waste

I ended up padding out the sauce with granulated garlic which was fine in a pinch, but that won't cut it for anything proper

what I need to do is start growing jumbo bulbs like my grandfather did. those things are like tiny fists flavor

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I will eat absolutely anything, I don’t give a gently caress

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i used to not eat seafood and then we went on a vacation and i got so many fresh ocean things, turns out i just like fresh fish and sea bugs

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

the garbage plate is from rochester, not pittsburgh

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

yeah same

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Captain Foo posted:

sir this is a

wait gently caress

caught in a perfect storm, my dude. not your fault.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

same

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

the prepeeled/preminced stuff always tastes and smells off to me. i havent had any problems w/ clove size tho

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
vinegar cole slaw is another good cabbage hack

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
but yeah i go thru loads of onions each week too. onions rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA