Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it doesnt matter that im not wearing pants because we're all on zoom and nobody is wearing pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

President Beep posted:

I’m only five years out of school so hopefully that theme will gently caress right off someday.

:cawg::cawg::cawg:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
:negative:

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

i only passed english lit because i lied about handing in a key essay and the teacher assumed she must have lost it and made up a grade based on my other work.

25 years later i still have dreams where they find out and make me go back to school

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

same but the realistic dreams are just boring at this point and dont give me anxiety

do you even magnesium?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk what that means

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I was browsing some poo poo trying to work out if atomoxetine had any potential as far as getting you hosed up and ended up down an internet wormhole where it seems you can use those dna websites to download your genome and upload them to some other website that tells you if you have extra enzymes that break down neurotransmitters extra quick or whatever and seems possible to point you in a direction where this particular supplement would really benefit you and i am tempted

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"genetically tailored supplements" sounds like you've got a pretty good idea for a subscription supplement service. You charge $19.99/month and just send them some generic multivitamins

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

"genetically tailored supplements" sounds like you've got a pretty good idea for a subscription supplement service. You charge $19.99/month and just send them some generic multivitamins
It looks like there are already companies doing this.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
of course

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

idk what that means

do you take magnesium as a supplement

its pretty drat common

and amongst one of the things it "does" is make your dreams quite vivid. its crazy

plus it should give anyone a better sleep.

we all know lack of iron = anaemia and tiredness etc

magnesium deficiency isnt as obvious and mostly shows up as poor sleep and cramping. adding magnesium can fix this

BUT also having plenty gives you very very vivid dreams. its cool

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont but maybe i'll give it a try

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shaggar posted:

https://geneticgenie.org/methylation-analysis/

I think you need to do something else to work out what supplements may be beneficial.

it wouldnt be minerals or vitamins though. things like certain precursors etc.

the future of pharmaceuticals is genetically aware, rather than standardised dosages across most humans.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

I was browsing some poo poo trying to work out if atomoxetine had any potential as far as getting you hosed up and ended up down an internet wormhole where it seems you can use those dna websites to download your genome and upload them to some other website that tells you if you have extra enzymes that break down neurotransmitters extra quick or whatever and seems possible to point you in a direction where this particular supplement would really benefit you and i am tempted

before they turned it into a different service i uploaded my snps collection to promethease and found all sorts of cool lit references. nothing too major for the most part except for two interesting things:

1.) rapid warfarin metabolizer, which is probably worthwhile knowing
2.) there are two ways to get hereditary hemochromatosis, both of which require homozygosity of one of two genes, i managed to weirdly get a single copy of each of these versions. unlikely to cause issues as the risk is only slightly increased in this scenario, but worth knowing about just in case, i suppose.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah thats the kind of stuff I want to know

although it'll probably come back saying "you're fine dude you cant blame your problems on your genes"

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

President Beep posted:

I’m only five years out of school so hopefully that theme will gently caress right off someday.
i can no longer remember the names of most of the classes i took in my undergrad 20 years ago but by god do i still get dreams about failing them or classes vaguely like them even this week. it’s that good rib-stickin’ poo poo

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i still have bad dreams about high school gym class (usually i haven't gone to class enough to graduate)

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Shaggar posted:

dream: someone had a blocker at standup because of another team
reality: someone had a blocker at standup because of a different team

my worst dreams are where i'm at work stuck doing some routine that never ends. then i wake up in the morning and think "well that sucked," and then i have to log on and do some endless routine again

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
poo poo like that is the worst. my version is where i dream about being awake all night and then try to figure out how to make it through the day. then i wake up for my real day. lol. owned.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i've had a few "oh no i forgot my mask and i've reached the back of the grocery store!"

because that's the only place i go now and even then haven't for a month

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have no mask and i must dream

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

my academic dreams are usually about algebra 2 in high school. occasionally it's a grad school prof administering an algebra 2 exam, but it's usually my high school teacher

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Achmed Jones posted:

my academic dreams are usually about algebra 2 in high school. occasionally it's a grad school prof administering an algebra 2 exam, but it's usually my high school teacher

i think of all the education that i missed
but then my homework was never quite like this

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Shaggar posted:

i havent had the not attending class all semester dream in a while which has been great

Holy poo poo how common is this dream? It still haunts me.

That and the uneventful job interview dream.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

i've had a few "oh no i forgot my mask and i've reached the back of the grocery store!"

because that's the only place i go now and even then haven't for a month

I have these, but since I don't go anywhere its just being in a busy area and realizing after talking with someone neither of us have masks

then, like, a lot of my dreams, I start navigating an old building to odd depths and trying to find things in the basement floors while also having to pee (normally due to drinking more water to avoid my irl kidney stones)

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

When they were trying all kinds of drugs on me for the parkinson's I tried one that gave me excruciatingly long and boring dreams. Like I'd do normal dream stuff, then I'd get in a car and drive for 6 hours and get to the next dream stuff location.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
the "not attending class all semester, now i have a final exam" dream is universal. i've been out of school almost 10 years and it never goes away. thing is, i didn't even skip class, i went to all my classes except for linear algebra where i found the textbook more useful than the lunchtime lecture (got an A). so i don't know where exactly this anxiety comes from.

but yeah, just like other posters have described, there's some element of "well i got my degree BUUUUT there's some corner case issue and TECHNICALLY i never completed all the requirements so it's void!!!" i have felt this strongly enough that i was unsure of the truth upon waking up. one time i actually pulled out the diploma to convince myself that i really did have it

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
my latest iteration of the dream: i have an english lit essay final exam due, based on a book i never read. in fact, i didn't read any of the books for that class, or do any of the assignments. the professor is a grown up version of a girl who i had a crush on in high school english. she is EXTREMELY disappointed in me. i should have dropped the class when i still could, but i forgot. i am too embarrassed to even come to class

i don't think i've taken an english class since 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i hope you're all gonna get and take some magnesium and come back with some trip reports

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

echinopsis posted:

i hope you're all gonna get and take some magnesium and come back with some trip reports

magnesium is for treating constipation, isn't it?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nah but i suspect its probably in some laxatives around the world. none here that I can think of

its everywhere. gaviscon/mylanta has it

actual real bath salts are magnesuim hydroxide

some of the forms are constipating, some laxatives, some neither, some absorb well, some dont

good magnesium supplements are a blend of different magnesium compounds, designed for absorbtion without interripting your bowels

magnesium is essential to all life, as far as I know. true deficiencies in the west are uncommon as youd imagine, but taking a decent amount in the evenings can encourage better sleep and tend to give very vivid dreams

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

what about alien lifeforms do they require magnesium

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I quite specifically added "as far as I know", to protect myself from such pedantry

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i like you fart simpson but idk about having fart in your name

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fart simpson posted:

what about alien lifeforms do they require magnesium

Paging Shaggar!

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

there's a line in the XTC song Playground "You may leave school, but school never leaves you"".

when I'm stressed about anything my dreams always end up in a big confusing highschool.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

echinopsis posted:

I quite specifically added "as far as I know", to protect myself from such pedantry

i usually make sure to include such caveats too, but they’re often ignored.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ive noticed I slip in and out of irony and sincerity often sometimes within the same paragraph or even sentence, it probably makes it make sense of anything I say at all hard to tell if I am being serious when talking about serious things but im also using as a catch-all defense now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i've only had the 'oh my god hr is asking me about my diploma and i'm a fraud this is all crashing down on me' nightmare once about six months in to my first job out of school. i had to do the 'dig out and literally hold my diploma to convince myself i actually had it' thing too though. gently caress that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

the universality of this experience makes me wonder what other deep psychological damage is being done by schooling. you know, the sort of thing we'll look back on 100 years later like "wait, they used to do WHAT to those poor kids?"