Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I gave a talk about the importance of sleeping full nights at a local developers user group this week and it was kinda great the number of devs after 30 who just could all agree it was no longer possible to work well on just 6h of sleep a night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

qirex posted:

I think I saw a blurb from a study that undersleeping 3 days in a row puts you at roughly the same mental capacity as not sleeping at all for one night

edit for geriatric content: looking forward to a weekend of calibrating my stereo system using my radio shack spl meter

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12683469

The chronic sleep restriction experiment involved randomization to one of three sleep doses (4 h, 6 h, or 8 h time in bed per night), which were maintained for 14 consecutive days. The total sleep deprivation experiment involved 3 nights without sleep (0 h time in bed). Each study also involved 3 baseline (pre-deprivation) days and 3 recovery days.

Chronic restriction of sleep to 6 h or less per night produced cognitive performance deficits equivalent to up to 2 nights of total sleep deprivation.

A recent one I've seen on twitter mentioned 10 days of 6 hours a night being equivalent to 2 nights without sleep, but with those only sleeping 6h a night not realizing they have poorer cognition than usual.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i dream of the day in canada where you have to retire your license as a condition of receiving canada pension plan benefits. you have time to walk or take the bus now

what a shitshow this would have been with covid

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Cold on a Cob posted:

had to take sick day due to rsi pain

:corsair:

wishing your RSI pain would take a sick day :unsmith:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

the communities for old rear end prog rock from 50 years ago ain’t that great anymore

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

help my fav bands and their label have got no idea what a Spotify is because they are either all dead or don’t understand the internet

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

maybe this is ok though, if you think about it

the songs last way longer than they have any right to do so why can’t their communities also last forever (as long as they change scales many times)

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

*configures sine wave frequencies by hand on synthesizer stack that’s 9 ft tall*

i like first wave electronic music

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I wish there were great options for vegetarian and local food in the winter here, but that generally implies a diet of hydroponic lettuce, greenhouse tomatoes and cucumbers, and then roots like onions, potatoes and carrots. The one local fruit available is apples. The rest is many varieties of meat.

I guess we're starting to have a bit of province-made tofu at least, so it's gonna get a bit easier, but eating local has forever been putting you on the grandchild of depression-era foods.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Wordy way to say “people eat more food if it tastes good”

... if it hits metrics that acted as evolutionary proxies for good food.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I’ve got good news about covid then

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Their space olympics video is also oddly prescient for the 2020 2021 olympics crashing down

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TICjEsvC8o

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

rotor posted:

• there's no real penalty for just doing all the side quests while zelda is being held prisoner but like it really feels like a dick move. Like she's being held prisoner by some eternal demon and i'm out here collecting cookbooks for some weirdo?

p. sure link is a hn programmer who's using the opportunity of the mrs being busy to work on his side gig while he promised to actually do the laundry or something.

ah drat, his tools are all broken again! time to get new ones and reset his dev environment.

oh look he's gonna try to make food for himself. nope, it's inedible sludge. soylent, maybe?

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

echinopsis posted:

anecdotal evidence should be worthless, but on the other hand if I have different people coming back into the shop, going out of their way to do so, they must be doing so for a reason. and i’ve had people coming in to tell me they reckon hemp seed oil makes a difference
something something livestock de-wormer covid

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Bart should be 41 and Lisa should be 39, which means she would be president of the USA by now in one of their version of the future.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

opening up and learning to accept and live with and deal with the grief and anxiety and allow weakness of all sorts is a really good thing and I am glad I started going to therapy a few years ago. Defensive mechanisms I gave myself while growing up to deal with the world have apparently been very effective at walling myself off of a lot of poo poo, and it's like I'm slowly adding a full dimension to my existence.

Lots of things are still weird and difficult and not going well all the time, but I sure feel like I'm at peace with a lot more stuff and I've gotten infinitely better at listening at all sorts of subtle early signals in my own thoughts that let me know when I'm not feeling great and to take better care of myself.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

echinopsis posted:

hide your personality to the extreme

I mean that is, if you’re undesirable in your natural state, like me. I suppose it’s possible that there are people who live acceptable lives and don’t have to hide anything about themselves but I don’t really understand it

a therapist is someone you pay to listen to you opening your personality up and they are forbidden from sharing it to others, plus they help you work on it, and have no expectation of reciprocity.

if you have the money and are feeling you can’t open up, they’re quite literally the best way money can buy to go about it.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

echinopsis posted:

you might be right. therapy is like.. hard and expensive though. not saying it’s not worth it but that barrier of entry is what stops me, and then everything is ok for a bit and i’m like why would I need therapy

So cost is an obvious barrier, but the other thing I'd say is that at some point, you my find it hard to cope with things even without therapy. I can't speak to your situation and I can only mention mine so you can read whatever you want into it, maybe it can be useful to illustrate my point, and maybe it won't apply at all. But essentially I had always figured out the way I dealt with my emotions was not "normal" (mostly not living them, whether negative [sad, angry] or positive) and I had a strong focus on dissecting things until they were rational and could be reasoned away.

I was quite happy with this, I was (still am) in a stable relationship, with a good job, doing well for myself and all. We tried adopting a dog, it didn't go well at all, both for myself and my SO, and we ended up breaking down and returning the dog before it got too attached to us because we just couldn't deal with the whole situation.

I didn't fully understand the strength with which I reacted to things, it felt like a total loss of control. I decided to find a therapist to understand things because I couldn't make sense of it. In the meanwhile, I ended up switching jobs, taking a month off, but was still busy organizing my city's first tech conference. At some point my mom was just talking to me in the driveway and said "you look tired" and I just broke down crying without even understanding what the hell was going on.

Long story short, I found out I was nearly burning out without knowing about it because I would not listen to that part of myself. The overall takeaway is that the cliché about bottling things up and accumulating them is definitely a real thing for me, and it's not just a question of evacuating it all and moving on, but of rebuilding the way I live my experiences. And finding out how a lot of these patterns around emotions can be as simple as clumsy defence mechanism picked up when I was 12 or so, and have no reason to still be used as an adult with what I know now, but they're deeply rooted and requires effort to change what is now a reflex.

You can think of being physically healthy as exercising often enough, eating well, and probably not being in pain all the time. In my case, I had defined the idea of mental health mostly around not having the pain (and feeling engaged/interested in activities), but I essentially had no healthy routine about any emotional activity, and going to therapy gave that time and space for it.

Anyway, my point is that yes therapy can be hard, but it's very possible the way you're living right now is also difficult to cope with, and it's just not obvious because you're stuck in it. poo poo will keep being hard, but it will be a different kind of hard, with different tools and outlooks.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

anyway in terms of old posts, my right sartorius keeps acting up and I have pain sitting or walking. Mostly okay standing or laying down, which uh, alright then I guess.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

ultravoices posted:

foam rollers or tennis balls

I'm doing stretches and trying to be more active, mostly. Once the current covid wave dies down I'm heading to a physiotherapist.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I had random leg pains like one day I’d sit down on the toilet and my left thigh would shoot up like I had sprained it and the day after I’d get a huge pinch right above the thigh and couldn’t walk straight and the week after my knee would just be in pain and I couldn’t stand for more than 20 minutes.

I went to a physiotherapist, he tested my motion for like 25 minutes and recommended 2-3 stretches plus a switch in posture and everything was fine within 4 weeks and 3 visits.

anyway the point is there are odd stretches (one of them was “lay on a table with your right leg off the edge and let it go down as far as you can”) for idiot poo poo muscles you don’t know exist and they can fix a fuckton of weird rear end garbage pains.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

hbag posted:

im not sure. ive just never really seen mirrored aviators work on anyone
i could be wrong though

they don’t work from your point of view because you have to see your own reflection in them and that’s an awful view

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

people were discussing the Simpsons at work yesterday and one of our youngest coworkers just said “oh I don’t really watch media from the 2000s” and all the 90s kids and a bunch of the older ones disintegrated

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

echinopsis posted:

the people who no longer need to hear me blast a hole in the space time continuum on the reg

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my hip and lower back started to hurt while walking for 30+ minutes and a physiotherapist instantly pinned it on bad posture while sitting (in my case primarily bad lumbar support) even if I often stood at my desk a lot, and it got progressively worse until I was feeling a constant dull pain in my right thigh.

eventually my good ergonomic chair got delivered and since then I’ve had no pain at all.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

my back hurt almost non stop since February and now it’s been since Thursday and I have pretty much no pain. this is loving great

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

physiotherapy every 2 weeks with various exercises. Some about getting more mobility in my upper spine, neck stretches, and holding a plank position on my elbows. these were too static and escalated into a weird back exercise where I lay on my belly on the floor then stretch my arms and legs straight, then pull both upwards in an arch.

I had gotten good mobility but persistently had muscle pain.

I also had to do scapular push-ups, but they weren’t great (apparently I used other dorsal muscles to compensate), so last week the physiotherapist gave me a hyper-focused one using a resistive rubber band hooked to the wall and pulling it in a specific way (like doing a fraction of the last motion of a push up when you’re right above the floor) and this poo poo was like magic.

I do like 30 a day and the pain leaves and doesn’t come back.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

it was wild though because the pain travelled through different areas of my back every few weeks and it’s like we had to chase a bit of pain to find out what it was compensating for to find another one and another one behind it. now it seems to be mostly alright.

like ultimately a lot of it just comes from generally being sedentary (even with a sit/stand desk), and most of my physical activity (cycling and rowing) putting a similar tension on my back.

I haven’t yet done a full rowing session to know if the back pain is gonna recur but at least I can sleep and walk and sit without issue.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've been having some back pain for almost a year, on and off, and I've been seeing a physiotherapist. Part of it was posture, part of it was an accumulation of sedentary computer-touching. But starting around December I had less and less back pain, was able to row again, except for one tight spot in my upper back that was almost never triggered, and some pain in my right thigh when walking for more than 30 minutes or after sitting for a few hours (like on a long drive).

After a recent visit to the physiotherapist, she found out my pelvis / one of my hip bones just wedged itself in a funny position of being rotated partly backwards (apparently that's a consequence of having joint hypermobility as I get older?) and it took like 4-5 minutes stretches to pop it back in its proper position and everything that I had left is gone.

anyway, poo poo's magic, and bodies are funky sacks of poo poo but also surprising.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I saw a chiropractor when I was younger and then it took a physiotherapist many weeks to even try one of the moves the chiropractors spammed all the time at my back. When I asked about it, she said "oh that's a kinesthesiology move, it's kind of rough and it's easy to depend on it too much so I try it only when other stuff doesn't work"

which sort of fits in with public ideas of chiropractors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007