Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
went hiking this weekend and my knees are achy today.

lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

everything is better when the sun is shining

don’t love hot days so much but that late late evening in summer is a feast to enjoy and waking up with the sunshine before you have to get up is gold. waking up when it’s dark outside and leaving for work and arriving to work when it’s dark, spending the entire sun-day at work and then leaving when it’s dark? I hatey

i know you’re in the backward hemisphere, but what gets me through the winter is the holidays, winter holidays have the best themes, renewal, fresh starts, all that.

there’s something great about all the traditions about death and rebirth during the winter, specifically that they let me remain in denial about all the stupid poo poo i did last year so I don’t notice im fuckin up this year too until may or june if I am lucky.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
also in austin there’s really no such thing as a cold winter.

it might freeze once, and you have 3 months where temps might regularly be below 50°F. the sun still sets before I leave work in dec/jan/feb, but it’s not like inside and outside have a huge temperature difference.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'd completely forgotten about a co-worker who quit like six months ago. Then I slowly remembered they existed as my current co-workers tried to get me to remember, but I literally couldn't imagine what she looked like.

It took like five minutes to finally form an image of her in my mind. :rip: my brain.

that coworker was... you!!!

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Trig Discipline posted:

do you sleep with a pillow between your knees, by chance? i had just absolutely debilitating lower back problems but then i tried sleeping with a pillow between my knees so that my spine wasn't twisted at night and my back issues were literally gone the next day

i had the same happen to me, but it was a bed in my friends guest room where i stayed for a bit while moving. sleeping on a really memory foam mattress killed my back and then as soon as i moved into my new place and back to a spring mattress all of my back problems were gone, like tears in rain.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kenny Logins posted:

pillow between the knees crew

dual purpose spine straightener and testicle crush prevention pillow

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

anyone who has kids should know that the skeletal system stops growing somewhere around 21 or so and you cant make the skeleton stronger afterward

and that simply by putting a load thru the skeleton (strength training is specific for this) before that age will make the skeleton stronger, and (imo) should be specifically encouraged especially in women

for one of my sons itll be pleasure the other not so much lol

nah from what I have read doing box jumps
helps with bone density all the way through your mid 30s.

after that of course you have to give up and dis, etc.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the beatles were fine and it was long time ago. now shut up and die

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Kenny Logins posted:

for me it's Maine Justice

maine justice is good.

also the most evil invention competition.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
when it iced over in austin the dog pulled the leash on a walk to sniff a very dangerous goose, and i fell on my rear end bone (coccyx) . now sitting on my rear end bone has hurt all week

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

wendys takes the crown for hosed Up Their Fast Food Chain The Most Since 2010

I want the old double stack and the old fries. i don't care about your $9 brioche bacon cheddar mushroom swiss triple with a bread and butter pickle on it.

mcdonalds is bringing back the hi c orange drink

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
it depends on you want but you can buy them through the obamacare market.

200-300 per month: will take your normally immediate bankruptcy causing hospital visit only cost $20,000 to $50,000 if you can pay that immediately. otherwise still bankruptcy.

500-600 per month same, but reduces it to $6000-10,000. might have an optional dental and vision plan for extra.

$1000+ per month: real plans start here.

plans computer touchers and other “good” white collar jobs get through work are like $18k per year and up.

that’s for a healthy dude in 20s or 30s. having a uterus anywhere near the plan causes a 50-70% increase.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

and i presume jobs at wendy’s don’t include insurance?

i’ve never once had a job perk like insurance or anything. they do exist but i’ve never myself

if you are not in a skilled white collar position, you probably have to pay that out of your own pocket.

uber driver? no you are an independent contractor
service industry or restaurant? lol no
blue collar or low-mid pay white collar? it really really depends on your employer and how much they want to avoid turnover.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

median personal income in the us was around $28,000 a year for full time workers last i checked (2016 iirc)

yeah whether this is livable depends a ton on where you are in the US.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
the korean burger place here closed down last year when the owners retired

rip burger-tex, bulgogi burgs and kimchi 1973-2020

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
vinegar cole slaw is another good cabbage hack

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

mr. prime minister, welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_UJ9_Qhekc

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

DuckConference posted:

caught up on many months of this thread and

lol

lol

i never lost power or water but about half the city did so it was just a week where i couldn’t connect to work because the compute farm is in a part of town that was power cycled dozens times over 6 days

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

You aren't supposed to drink when you're diabetic either, my wife had a coworker with type 1 and he drank like a fish and lost both his big toes over the course of a year.

alcohol can tank your blood sugar by blocking the normal blood glucose secretion your liver does

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

3D Megadoodoo posted:

What's the recommended time for not breathing?

right after you fart

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
wait are we talking spatulas or turners

this is important

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
yeah i like a silicone turner with a nice sharp edge and a wide surface for easy pancake and egg flips

like:

for spreading and mixing spatulas just get silicone in a few different sizes and lengths imo.
sometimes you need a specific one but you probably will also want to be using 2-3 simultaneously at some point if you are baking and icing stuff.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

in my industry we call them “spatch” for short

in the northern hemisphere we call them ‘“choolas”

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
a curtain in the kitchen that you can pull to the side sounds nice compared to having a dozen cabinets open at the same time.

but it also sounds like hell to wipe up splatters.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Please, she's a nice lady and she has a name :colbert:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Mr. Nice! posted:

for fun reach up and feel how much hair you have growing on the flappy part in front of your earhole.

plucking these fuckers is a soothing biweekly ritual for me.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i've never known a bird-watcher who wasn't miserable doing it. but then i've only ever known two bird-watchers so vOv

(i think their main problem was the existence of other bird-watchers)

really serious bird watching is just waking up at 4 am and spending a lot of time sitting in bushes and not talking. it’s very much an old retired person excuse to travel kind of thing.

i did like the bird watching on the galopagos islands tho because the birds there have no natural predators and they just hang around and build nests on the ground in huge numbers not giving a poo poo if you are talking or whatever

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

no, i got a weird disease that aggressively broke down my body for a few weeks

was it the rhabdo / crush syndrome where your pee turns brown like tea?

that’s too much protein from broken down muscles in your blood and can be prevented with hydration and magnesium but if you get it you are gonna need an IV.

also can be prevented by not doing crossfit and not getting crushed in the rubble of a falling building.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

fart simpson posted:

no, it was a tick borne illness called rocky mountain spotted fever. i was the first recorded case in maine.

that’s a really good illness name, right up there with “river blindness”

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

prefect posted:

does that make you unable to see rivers?

actually its a terrifying wormy/fly parasite in the river that grows inside your eyeballs and makes you blind

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

echinopsis posted:

changing gears distracts me from checking my instagram

same but eating my burrito

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mediaphage posted:

probably although theoretically you could have plugged ears from wax buildups. or i once knew somebody that had a spider lay eggs in their ear canal

you can buy a 1080p otoscope on Amazon for $16 now.

unrelated here’s my eardrum.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

mystes posted:

You're supposed to wait until you get 10k subscribers before you do an eardrum reveal.

you obviously aren’t subscribed to my auralfans

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

President Beep posted:

cool. 1.5 years to get my act 2 gether.

yeah I am 100% in agreement. 3 years and maybe i’ll be a real adult person.

??

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

graph posted:

i fruitbooted so learning to ice skate was v easy. havent been in at least almost 20 years tho

then again when our pal rel_q's ankle collapsed during so it kinda put me off

yeah i learned to rollerblade jumping off this drainage ditch and landing in the dirt

ice skating on boring rear end flat ice holds no fear for me

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

SYSV Fanfic posted:

I had to start scheduling blood work late in the day. I'd grab a handful of crackers or something between one of my four overnight bathroom trips and realize it after I got back in bed.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

psiox posted:

oh whew okay disregard my recruiting message lol

but yes my Worksona is incredibly positive and not the hardcore anticapitalist i actually am

i think most people hide most of their brain problems from most people.

work person is an extreme case because the window of acceptable behavior in a white collar office job is very very narrow.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
why did i come into this thread again? was it to find my keys?

are my keys in here somewhere? anyone seen my keys?

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

of course not

being over 40 I already had my doctor check in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Achmed Jones posted:

idk if y'all remember that back pain i was having but ms jones fell asleep on the couch so i slept in the middle of the bed and lol it turns out our bed is saggy and we need a new one

on the one hand it's awesome that back pain isn't just how i am now. on the other, i'd discounted that because the bed was only a couple years old when the pain started. i guess we got ripped off.

i stayed in a friend’s guest room for a few weeks with a (nice, newish) memory foam mattress in it and it somehow destroyed my lower back. i thought i was going to be hobbling around for the rest of my days but two nights on a spring mattress and lower back issues just vanished.

EIDE Van Hagar fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 26, 2022