Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Gentle Autist posted:

ive experienced major depressive episodes at several points in my life but haven't had any for like 7 years now, and thankfully none since I've had kids. I could feel the black dog sniffing aroudn earlier this year and worked my way out of it with a routine of light nightly exercise (walking) and some CBT techniques I heard on russel brand's podcast (lol)

it's amazing how much difference getting some exercise and changing your immeadiate surroundings can make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

apparently in other countries they give kids the chickenpox vaccine, in the UK they don't they just have to suck it up as a character building exercise

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

even in a hospital going into anaphylactic shock doesn't seem intuitively that safe vs getting COVID but I guess that's why they do the numbers and don't go by intuition!

e:looks like the advice given here depends on severity of reaction which makes sense https://www.bsaci.org/professional-resources/bsaci-covid-19-resources/vaccine-allergy-faqs-for-gps/

distortion park fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Sep 8, 2023

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

My gf could hear bats outside last night and found them distracting and I couldn't hear a thing. Even in this video I can only just about hear them in a quiet room. I think my high frequency hearing is completely gone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXE9UgrOdls

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

That reminds of a video from a couple years ago where a Japanese guy gives his daughter a switch for her birthday and he tries to tease her by saying the box might actually just have a gameboy in it and she's just like "what's a gameboy?" and you can immediately hear him die inside

I went to a history museum in denmark and they had an exhibition of what was basically my bedroom when I was a teenager

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

echinopsis posted:

one issue our medical system
is gonna face is that so much of it is predicated on a doctor being available

at the moment they are often not. for better or for worse so much stuff is gatekept behind them, which is starting to lead to some significant issues, while a lot of other capable health professionals could possibly do a thing but can’t

France is very very slowly making changes around this, now that the rural medical system is getting completely overwhelmed (graduates don't want to live there, the gov has been talking about making it compulsory but I don't think that'll help recruitment). They also had a cap on the number of medical students which was removed a couple of years ago and replaced by a minimum.

There's still a lot of nonsense work for doctors that I think will be removed over the next few years. Any paid medical leave requires a doctor's note, group sports activities need a medical certificate (some orgs like Park Run just gave up and don't operate here), there are compulsory occupational health checks which is fine in theory, but the way they are administered is incredibly inefficient*. Plenty of scope for pharmacists and nurses to do more of that work.

* My last one I had to take a 400eur train to the other side of the country so that an incredibly bored occupational health doctor could weigh me and ask if my back hurt.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

i finally googled skibidi toilet and still don't understand it at all

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I had a dream last night where I thought I was at university, but I knew it was a dream so concentrated really hard to try and work out where in my life I actually was, then sort of woke up with the realisation that my twenties were behind me, not ahead of me

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

This is called an "Income Share Agreement" and it's something that people keep trying occasionally in the US. However, I guess the biggest problem is how is it supposed to be better than normal student loans (except being able to try to claim it's not a student loan to evade regulation)?

It's kinda like student loans work(ed?) in the UK for a while.

If you're smart enough to make an informed decision about it it's a pretty friendly structure for the loanee (you have way more knowledge about your career plans than the lender) but for that reason and because it's such a niche product that I doubt you'll ever get sufficiently good rates for it to be worth it.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

what the hell

so you get a student loan from a skeezy guy, but then intentionally take a low-paying job for 10 years, then after that you can make big money when theye dont have a lien on your income?

that's the trade in theory but it's not that attractive in practice (because it exists it'll never be offered on accessible or good enough terms). Maybe if you're like a Yale MBA grad who suddenly has an urge to pursue a philosophy PhD or something.

it is/was the structure of UK student loans though, except the term was like 30 years and because a "graduate tax" was very unpopular they let rich people pay it off early.

it's also how "free publicly funded college" works in a way, except everyone pays for it

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Carthag Tuek posted:

and this is legal? a private individual can offer to pay for someone else's education on the condition that they can skim a monthly salary for decades?

i thought i understood english but perhaps i only understand the language

idk if it's legal for a private individual in the UK (probably?), this was the government loan structure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

mystes posted:

The main difference with income sharing agreements is supposed to be that there isn't any specific amount that has to be repaid; it's just a percentage of income for a certain period, which can be less or more than their tuition cost depending on income.

I think practically there are probably a bunch of reasons why they don't get used (they are probably dischargable through bankruptcy, they may get struck down if regulators decide they are effectively student loans with an illegal interest rate, people receiving them may have more information about how much they are likely to make than the companies providing them) and I don't think they are a good idea or a solution to the problems with college loans, but I'm not sure they are theoretically necessarily more like indentured servitude than other conventional college loans in the US (which are obviously pretty loving awfui), since I don't think they don't have impose any restrictions on the people receiving them except for having to pay a percentage of the income (they don't force people to work at certain places or perform certain types of jobs)

the UK ones have a minimum income below which you pay nothing (looks like it's between the 25th and 50th salary percentiles), so quite a lot of people won't end up paying much. I kind of like it theoretically but the actual implementation is quite bad and can see why it's unpopular, the UK structure in particular sucks if you're on a middling income and don't have wealthy parents.

It's clearly not a form of slavery or at all similar to the historical form of indentured servitude though lol