Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

i went to the hospital wednesday at midnight for a work induced anxiety attack and now i'm on blood pressure meds and all hosed up on brain pills. owns

poo poo bro look after yourself

I’ve had a couple of these over the years and they aren’t fun. try to keep work in perspective - it rarely matters even a little bit as much as you think it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I had gum surgery this week to graft some skin over a receding gum line below my front bottom teeth

now my mouth is full of sutures and every time I eat something I freak out that I’ll have food stuck there forever. the inside of my mouth looks like something out of saw :waycool:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I really enjoy sewing on buttons by hand. I am sewing buttons onto the waistbands of my trousers so I can use buttoned braces instead of belts and it is hella satisfying.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

ive been pondering the suspender option lately. school me. how do i make it not horribly tory

I have been an rear end-crack-asaurus for years. I tried clip on suspenders which worked ok but had a habit of violently, elastically detaching at innoportune moments. Squat or bend to pick something up from down low and POW

So I looked around and ending up ordering these:

quote:

Hold'Em Suspender for Men Made in USA Y-Back Genuine Leather Trimmed button end tuxedo suspenders Many colors and designs - Hunter (Tall 54" Long) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B8QV3XG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_fjqxDbHSQ5BE3

they come with buttons. I sewed the buttons about a half inch either side of the corresponding belt loops on my trousers. I then button them on and wear them underneath my shirt - I always wear a singlet so they sit on top of that but underneath my T-shirt or dress shirt (rarely). I’m not patrick bateman enough to have them on display

they are very comfortable and completely solve my rear end-crack display problem. The only caveat is that you need to strip down to your underwear to take a poo poo, Kramer style, but unless you are low on fibre just git r dun in the morning and live the suspender life all day.

I have sewed buttons on a couple of pairs of trousers but need to go out and buy some more so I can have them on all of them

:waycool:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

:goonsay:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

suspenders rule and 38 is a fine age to level up your pant suspension techniques

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I've always been a bigger dude but all my health indicators are great, like very low resting heart rate, great peak flow, slightly above ideal blood pressure, healthy LDL/HDL

even when I am super lean (not often lol, but when I was 18-25 and taking acid/drinking and dancing to drum and bass 4 nights a week, or when I was in good shape when I lived in australia) my BMI is still over obese.

I hear what you're saying echi - finding the balance betweena disciplined and mindful approach to weight/health management and evidence based care which says that a large proportiion of the population are fat as gently caress, want to lose weight, and are simply unable to for whatever reason is challenging. I think that whatever the approach, removing moral/value judgement from the model is key. peeps are peeps

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

also I think there is a strong liberalist, objectivist, individualist instinct ingrained in modern capitalism that is continually loving with our ability to make decisions at a macro level.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

nah more like they're just shrugging, meaning they just don't really care about the arguments, they're just gonna believe what they believe

yeah, they believe it's a net bad for society, so think keeping it illegal will be a net benefit

cracks me up the amount of people who ask my opinion on the matter. like why would my opinion matter? oh yeah that's right because unlike the person asking for the opinion, I'm actually qualified to have real meaningful and nuanced opinions. but honestly they don't give a poo poo about what I think, I think they assume I'll be against it (against legalisation that is), and just tell me they don't want people coming to work stoned. I make some comment about how a) they can do it already b) do people tend to come to work drunk and c) if they came to work either stoned or drunk, they'd certainly lose their job on the spot.. but still, their point stands they think :rolleyes:

“hey this guy knows about this stuff surely his opinion will match my own, which I came up with in a few seconds based on an emotional instinct. what it doesn’t!!!! he’s an idiot elitist!”

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

ive experienced major depressive episodes at several points in my life but haven't had any for like 7 years now, and thankfully none since I've had kids. I could feel the black dog sniffing aroudn earlier this year and worked my way out of it with a routine of light nightly exercise (walking) and some CBT techniques I heard on russel brand's podcast (lol)

things that have helped me: a supportive relationship (huge), humility, and having my own little personal ethos. curiosity, empathy, and kindness are the principals to live by, and family and community are what makes you truly happy. I've been lucky to be able to earn good money and have good physical health. my thing this year has been to really focus in on patience and persistence, and being less judgemental

life is a loving bitch but I really do think that a lot of your experience of the world can be chosen. you can decide how to interpret things. even if that interpretation is hogshit, if it gets you through and you're not hurting others, it can be helpful. thats not to say making those choices is easy, or that mindset is dismissive of people's pain or struggle. no way. but framing things in that way makes it easier to feel better

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

a thing that really shits me about myself is that I find it hard to maintain friendships. I just don't really care about them, they seem a lot of effort. I like people and stuff but I guess I'm fundamentally introverted and/or socially anxious. my sense is that this is not uncommon in men particularly. I worry that I am gonna really regret that as I get older tho

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

pram posted:

just bought an mx ergo because my wrist is starting to die. geriatric AF!

looks like a piece of poo poo, op

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the scroll wheel is amazing

my only complaint about the kensington is that it's a pain to clean. (but i guess that's true of all trackballs, isn't it?)

cleaning balls is difficult, especially getting all the hair out

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

pram stop fat shaming

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

just use ddg

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Agile Vector posted:

i knew i was getting older when i went to home depot just to look at things like my dad does

45 minutes comparing lightbulbs and wandering the electrical and plumbing aisle for project ideas

this is like my favourite thing to do

I love it there, I can sperg for endless hours comparing shovels or whatever

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

my wife has gone away for 4 days so I’m off work and on full time childcare duty. my crazy 2 year old demanded to watch Jurassic Park this afternoon so I gave him his water bottle and some fruit and went into the backyard and cut down two trees with my chainsaw.

now both kids are in bed so I’ll sweep out the garage and then play far cry 5 while enjoying a nice cup of lady grey tea. just dad things

I would love to be a stay at home dad but fuckily my earning potential is like double my wife’s and my type of work (sales engineer/solutions architect) is super flexbile on hours so this is our best option

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

fart simpson posted:

whats lady grey tea

it’s tea with bergamot oil infused, which is orange oil or some poo poo. it’s delicious and a pro-steep if you are a subject of her maj

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

i want to know if you can iron on reinforcing into the inside of the crotch of my jeans

it’s called a gusset and you can get a tailor or one of those cheap rear end altering places to sew one in for next to nothing

Better option, which took me literal years to figure out, is just to get trousers that fit so you crotch isn’t so low that poo poo rips under stress all the time

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

funnily enough I think you can actually do about 93% of the legwork over chat, it's just that most dudes are very very bad at this. without trying to sound cocky, I've never actually met with anyone irl that didn't want to take it further, after having already established thru chat the intentions. but for some reason, people seem to be afraid of communicating directly beforehand what they hope to get and achieve etc. perhaps it's clearer to state that the majority of people who wouldn't have been interested in going further were discovered during chat and not once actually met, again proving how beneficial decent communication can be. I am not sure why this is so difficult for so many god drat people

because sometimes its hard to even know what you want, let alone articulate and communicate it clearly without fear of shame, rejection, or ridicule. i feel like this in most aspects of my life, let alone the sensitive and loaded area of cruising for rear end or love

my opinion is even more worthless than usual on this point as I've been with my waifu for 13 years and all our 'courting' pre-dated tinder and normalised online dating in general. at least for <25 people in nz.

git apologist fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Oct 22, 2019

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i like a&t as much as the next attracted-to-women person but the idea of even hooking up with a 20 year old let alone carrying on a relationship with one is deeply unsettling. I’d gladly take instructions from a Nigella type tho 😍

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I bought a Mirra on our local eBay equivalent for about $150. when I lived in London I got one for about the same, and a Steelcase Leap (the best for me) for a little more.

they were all well worth it. build a chair sure but just buy a secondhand one immediately to keep you going

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

I’m old and realised the only things I enjoy are a) home DIY and b) saving and investing money.

reflecting on this made me realise I need to go back on antidepressants, so stating up again today :waycool:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

biggest risk of death from getting high af at dance parties is dying from embarassment the next day when you think back on the poo poo you said/did, the way you danced, etc

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

After years of resistance I got a CPAP to treat my snoring and sleep apnea. it owns. Previously I was waking up like 3 or 4 times a night because I thought I needed to piss, turns out I just couldn’t breathe. i was tired all the time

Now I sleep right through and I don’t snore so my wife hates me 1% less. I feel super well rested when I wake up.

I do gotta wear a lovely darth vader mask when I sleep but it’s worth it

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

If I’d been came in in my sleep I’d be having a rough day too

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

im old and fat but remarkably robust, I don’t really gently caress my own poo poo up much even when I rarely do physical poo poo (lol)

I do get pissed that doing some stuff while fat is hard - rock climbing, surfing, poo poo like that where you have to lurch your body around. but hey man being a fat nerd is kinda my deal now

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hmm a goon thread about fast food and high blood pressure you say

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

rotor posted:

the most best dream i ever had was a dream where i was old and dying and my son was there (he hadn't been born yet) and he held my hand and everything seemed ok and I was ready to die and then i died.

i had this dream but i was floating on my back in a warm green sea and it was a brightly moonlit night and i knew i was drowning and i was totally at peace

it still gives me profound good vibes to remember 20+ years later

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

last night me and my wife stayed up poo poo talking and looking at old photos till midnight. then I thought i’d sneak in come cyberpunk 2077 but it got to some poo poo pivotal sequence where i couldn’t save for like an hour and I didn’t get to sleep until 230am. loving games are for children

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

now i feel like poo poo! but at least I bought and got cut the timber i’ve been meaning to get to build my new desk. we’ll go into town and have a few drinks and watch the fireworks over the harbour at midnight to whatever. i’m 40 in a couple of days, ffffffucccck pissss

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

echinopsis posted:

hsppy news years and enjoy the evening out with yoru famiyl

same to you buddy, one love

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i have a logitech c920 that has a hook thing that makes it easy to attach to the top edge of your monitor. you can probably get a small gorilla pod or whatever for something similar

but i almost never turn on my webcam cos gently caress that. i also have physical covers for the logitech and the cam in my laptop

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

prefect posted:

(i started listening to the dollop podcast again :blush:)

the dollop is good

dave can get hella angry tho

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

*) It was actually a tooth that had been mended like 15 years ago and the fix was failing. Your fillings are getting old, too!

my wife had this, bad root canal of 15 years vintage. tooth was pulled on friday. fun times

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

oof. replacing a tooth is always a) expensive and b) a pain in the... mouth.

so far we think we’re just gonna leave it. it’s a rear molar and not visible during talking or smiling. once it’s healed up she’s gonna try it for a few weeks and we’ll decide

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it was a long weekend here in nz just now and we went camping. someone tipped us off that ol' musky's starlink satellites would be passing overhead and what do you know, they were, and we watched fifty of them go past all in an eerily straight line. weird poo poo

anyway after that my wife and the husband of the other couple got on one of their regular jerk-off sessions about lovely music from the mid 90s which I find intensely embarrassing so I went to bed. the next morning they told me they could hear me farting really loud from inside the tent. a proud moment for me I'm still buzzing about

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

in 2013 we had a neighbour that went on and on for a literal hour plus to someone he had over about how nirvana was the pinnacle of human musical achievement and it was all downhill since then. he's play clips and just drone and drone on about how kurt was such a genius, occasionally punctuated with clips of songs he would play.

now my wife and i impersonate that guy every so often because that's just the funniest poo poo. imagine thinking $popular_thing_from_when_i_was_16 is the best it ever got and just stopping there, giving no thought to what came before or since. talk about arrested development.

i'll fully cop to not getting some of what's popular today (:corsair:) but i'll never sit back and smugly say "that's it, culture is done, we're all done here now"

it was just this sort of thing. this guy was going on about how great pearl jam, chris cornell, ben harper were etc

I almost lost it when waifu asked "do you like radiohead" and he said "yeah everythig before kid a". i am a hilariously out of touch fatlord goon nerd but I'll be damned if I am just gonna roll over into dad rock mode

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

even dad rock enthusiasts have new bands they could be listening to like the national, so even that's not an excuse

he loves the national :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

the beatles are good