Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Cold on a Cob posted:

loving neck is in extreme amounts of pain today, cool

Time to buy a monitor stand/mount, a herman miller aeron chair knock off, and neumatic legs for your desk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Offices really just ought to set a standard that when someone's hairline has receeded x inches they just buy that stuff automatically.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

FMguru posted:

between lowtax and chris-chan, its been a real banner year for aging old-school internet memelords

u forgot about mcaffee

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

rotor posted:

did he finally die? last i heard is he'd been arrested in Spain (Portugal?)

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/john-mcafee-dies-suicide-hours-after-spanish-court-authorized-his-n1272176

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

this is one nice! page

I pray to god I never have to explain to anyone why bill cosby is in some of my screen shots.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah, w/o a will in a lot of states its half spouse, rest children by default. Also in a lot of states if you hand write your will it doesn't need to be witnessed. Just make sure to date it and people know where it's at.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

when we moved to the new place, before the movers came with our stuff, we ate dinner on the floor

standing up, i hurt my knee somehow. it still acts up, a month later. last night i woke up in the middle of the night because it was hurting

i think i'm just this way now

Sometimes knee pain can be referred pain from your lower back. If you get pins and needles too, just something old people should know about.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Ah man, when I took a shower today i looked in the mirror and I've got those old man flaps around my arm pits/pecs.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 18, 2021

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Ah man. Is it at least getting better? Rotator Cuff poo poo's the worst - give it some good rest and use a trackball.

Had you not done pushups in awhile? They're good exercise, but everyone young and old should start out with modified pushups at first.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

I've been living in my current place for almost six years. It's astounding how many little pockets of life build up. I've got a whole drawer of random ointments, which is the most geriatric thing I think. Cortisone stuff, neosporin, lidocaine cream, diflonec gel, CBD balm, clove oil (must have if you get a dental issue), icy hot, etc etc.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Plantar fasciitis is a bitch. Ever since I innocently didn't look where I was going and stepped into a pothole, and then a day later was in agony, I had to buy an ankle brace and a spiky ball, tape my ankle up like a mummy, and focus on going up steps on tiptoes instead of regular..

Worst is that in my sitch it seems to recur every so often to the point I'm thinking about getting one of those rechargeable scooters (the one you ride standing up, not the ones for the morbidly obese in Wall-E, though I'm morbidly obese)

Wearing running shoes consistently really helped mine. You sure you didn't get a stress fracture or something?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Coulda just hosed up and ate something without realizing it.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

fart simpson posted:

maybe i sleep ate

I had to start scheduling blood work late in the day. I'd grab a handful of crackers or something between one of my four overnight bathroom trips and realize it after I got back in bed.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i will do that, thank you! still dont have a doctor since the move but ill put it on the list

It's kind of a pharmacological sledgehammer for nsaid stomach upsettedness. You might want to try an acid reducer first (tagamet), or a naproxen regime (2x daily with food). Hurry up and get a doctor old goon, they know best.

Have you been formally diagnosed with osteoarthritis in your hands, or are you just assuming because they hurt?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i said they hurt and the doctor ran some tests and said "it's probably arthritis". no like x-rays or anything but he checked for elevated white blood cells and some other stuff i think. i don't remember really, it was a couple years ago

thanks for the recs - i'll try naproxen. hopefully i can tolerate it

Take it as directed on the label - if you just take it whenever it doesn't help that much. If your under like.. 50 I'd recommend trying to nail down why they hurt - especially if they ache bad enough to make it hard to concentrate, fall asleep, or do your work. Sometimes pain is a normal part of aging, and sometimes it isn't.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Lysidas posted:

i did not remember that i could be sore in so many places

Wait till you need physical therapy. There are teeny tiny little muscles all over the place that feel like you got hit with a ball peen hammer for about a week the first time you ever deliberately exercise them.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

It takes a lot of willpower to follow a strict diet, maintain a set weight, comply with glucose monitoring. On top of whatever else you've got to deal with in life a lot of people just can't maintain that level of discipline over thrity+ years.

Willpower is a limited resource.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Echinopsis is part of a different culture with different norms.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

I turned 40 and gently caress thatís the threshold when you can no longer deny that youíre an adult :qq:

It was evident to me when some teens said "excuse us sir".

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

echinopsis posted:

getting owned by teens is special kind of burn

It was all respectful like, at a soda fountain. They were dicking around and I must have looked impatient or pissed off or something. Contrary to popular perception most teens are respectful and polite and poo poo.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Dumb, but was thinking of old poo poo. Anyone else's local TV stations use the flag raising on Iwo Jima as their station sign off?

My niece and nephew were watching poltergeist and I had to explain that it was exposition on how late at night this little girl was up staring at the TV.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

It does something if you take enough of it. Prior to having my cervical fusion I had to stop nsaids. I'd get these gnarly rythmic tremors where I couldn't use my thumbs if I moved my neck wrong without naproxen. I wound up taking like 250mg-350mg a day if the label was accurate. No tremors, and my spasticity was better as well.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Man, my neck is really bothering me today. I never thought I'd have to ask doctors to run check disc on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

Guess if I'm going to the doctor I better put on my medical alert bracelet.

Trust me, if you have to be around me some days it's going to trigger a medical emergency.

Edit: It was a gag gift from people directly affected.

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 19, 2022