Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

hello.

i deal with being old through alcoholism and hopes of liver disease

same but chuck on some irritable bowel which I can only hope increases my risk of bowel cancer

but realistically it’ll probably be a heart attack due to my diabetes rather than cirrhosis or bowel cancer

Hed posted:

Your body is trying to tell you something.

it’s not your knees that are bad, but your posting.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
take 600mg of allopurinol daily and get stuck back into that sweet nectar

carry around a bottle of colchicine, a handful of prednisone and a fanny pack full of naproxen and drink that beer

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i just had a mug of soup

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I was old enough to be on the pension

I can only dream of the joy I could experience in life if I could drop my kids at school and pick them up, and if I was >65 I could be doing that rather than hating existence while being at work.

gently caress I need a new job / line of work.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but I can’t really just go and get one can I

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s bullshit from big tire

i watched a play last night called father. it left me feeling depressed. ugh i want to know if there is something I can write like a “health will”, so If I ever get diagnosed with dementia, then medical decisions have to follow a certain set of rules : only give me drugs or interventions that reduce the burden of my dementia on others, no drugs that are for the purpose of extending my life like antihypertensives etc. because gently caress knows when you’re no longer considered able to make rational decisions about your own health they just default to tying to extend your life

i don’t want to say people don’t get value out of looking after their partner or parents when they get demented but gently caress I want to do everything I can to never be that person to someone else. it’s bad enough having to be alive while I can actually contribute to society and family (despite depression telling me i’m already a burden, i know i’m not generally and I know some people would prefer my existence to lack thereof), being alive when I would be a burden is the last thing I want in the world.

poo poo that play left me depressed lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the russians used a belt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
photoshop that waist so ya pants don’t fall off ya rear end

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we’re not entitled to that

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
nice ableism about the weight loss here.

“just do what almost all the population fails to do even tho is aware of and often tries”

:rolleyes:

I am conflicted about the HAES movement because of the implication within that it’s “ok” to continue to gain weight and that excess weight - if it does matter from a medical point of view (and it seems it’s often less than stated) - is an effectively non-modifiable factor, but it raises a lot of excellent issues regarding huge levels of exclusion from medical help and tries to tackle seemingly universal obsession within medicine to lose weight before addressing anything else

I started following a local doctor on instagram who practices it, and i’m a real sucker for evidence and progressive attitudes toward health so I couldn’t help but accept its place.. but I do struggle, because when I have raised the issues that for myself as a diabetic, excess weight is very bad
for me and makes me very insulin resistant, and losing weight and keeping slim has to be an almost daily obsession for me, especially given how I have to inject the strongest anabolic hormone we know in relatively
huge quantity every day 🥺

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there’s some statistic that once you get to something like a BMI of 32 or more, getting back down to “normal” is extremely difficult. that’s the stats anyway, not a prescription of what will happen

food these days is simply too delicious to
rely on our on inbuilt senses of moderation, we have to consciously and relentlessly focus on eating the right food, if you were raised to always finish your meals and not waste food and enjoy the good things

i’ve taught my kids to stop eating then they are full, to pay attention to how too much food makes them feel. when I serve up dessert or etc it’s very small portions. i’m giving them a far more vegetarian diet too, legumes are big in their life for the fibre factor. probably worse sin is tendency for me to salt the gently caress out of food to make it taste so good, making food that’s too delicious to stop eating when you’re full. make food less delicious and you will eat less.. easy lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my mum tries to feed me like i’m a 19yo rugby player why why mum please when I come over for dinner please remember i’m trying to lose weight every day, and i certainly don’t need two cups of mashed potato on top of everything else too lol.

people can’t escape habits. she was raised with potato in every meal coz calories were scarce. now that they aren’t, we need to get those things off our plates, not just have a moderated amount of them. i literally never ever need a part of a meal that fills me up. protein and greens, is all I ever need to plan for, because I know my poor poor self control will lead me to a bad decision that I need to proactively compensate for lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Silver Alicorn posted:

I’ve been “struggling” with my weight but also trying to shame myself less as it contributes to anxiety. there is definitely a feedback loop where the deliciousness of a food overrides any sense of “fullness” I might have and I don’t notice I’ve overeaten until it’s done. best I can manage is portion control (hard) and healthy selections (less hard)

best book I’ve ever read on dieting is “the hungry brain” by stefan someone. really goes to show it’s not about carbs or protein but deliciousness and satiety

🤷‍♂️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

I'm 38 and I have a broken brain, does that count?

mate
are we the same person

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

enotnert posted:

Not quoting Stymie railing Echi but. . .

I also am a diabetic and drink like a fish. . .

But thanks to other states being legal, there is a flush of regulated edible products in my area, which has meant a wee bit of chocolate (~2.8 unit bolus) makes it where I might crack a beer and take 3-5 hours to drink it. . . along with weirdly cutting down on my cigarettes.

Come on bumfuck state where I live, make it legal already.

were gonna vote on it next year and god everyone i talk to us like “but if we legalise it people will use it”, and i’m like but they already do and the gangs profit and they’re like 🤷‍♂️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TimWinter posted:

I'm going to assume 🤷‍♂️ means they propositioned you

nah more like they're just shrugging, meaning they just don't really care about the arguments, they're just gonna believe what they believe

fart simpson posted:

isnt that the point

yeah, they believe it's a net bad for society, so think keeping it illegal will be a net benefit

cracks me up the amount of people who ask my opinion on the matter. like why would my opinion matter? oh yeah that's right because unlike the person asking for the opinion, I'm actually qualified to have real meaningful and nuanced opinions. but honestly they don't give a poo poo about what I think, I think they assume I'll be against it (against legalisation that is), and just tell me they don't want people coming to work stoned. I make some comment about how a) they can do it already b) do people tend to come to work drunk and c) if they came to work either stoned or drunk, they'd certainly lose their job on the spot.. but still, their point stands they think :rolleyes:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I suspect jobs that require a lot of plate spinning and multitasking are probably poorly executed while high whereas if you can mostly focus on a single task you may even get a benefit 🤷‍♂️

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i was born ten years after the beatles broke up

my youngest was born ten years after limp bizkit released significant other

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WrenP-Complete posted:

I somehow have two rare autoimmune disorders. I think I made some mistakes when choosing this character's build.

lol... i think?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:chanpop: mate :sterv: :sympathy:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

graph posted:

i snored friday night and didnt sleep well and woke up with a sore throat :(

years ago I fell asleep very drunk with a friend and snored so bad I inflamed that dangly thing at the back of my throat, and the next day or so whenever I talked it induced my gag reflex it was so weird

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“more like your friend induced your gag reflex” well he did want to gently caress me tbf. he was married. an old friend from church. I think he briefly hosed my wife but that memory is hazy. aaahh that weird hosed up last year of my marriage 😒

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
edit: spoilered this coz it’s depressing and whiny, don’t feel compelled to read it

rotor posted:

beats the alternative

mate idk

as good as the good parts are, idk if it’s worth the bad parts, and it’s not like i’m gonna regret anything from the afterlife, the only real reason to stay alive is things like children and family and some unhelpful internal desire to avoid death 🤷‍♂️

I read some thread of people discussing how suicide of those close to them affected them and it’s like gently caress I can’t do that to people I love

I’ve kinda worked out that lamenting the reality that I have to carry on makes me miserable, so it’s probably better to move onto those thought patterns onto something forward thinking 🙄:rolleyes: lame

there is a silver lining here tho, being a diabetic etc means I’ll probably have a (hopefully fatal) major cardiac event during my working life so I won’t have to enter into some bleak retirement where I can only afford the cheapest toast and marmalade

it’s possible I guess that enough things change that I wake up pleased to be alive. it would possibly be prudent to strive for that or at least strive for a changed attitude

oh well just arrived at work to spend next 9 hours with only one person, a depressing person who makes me hate coming here

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Aug 27, 2019

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cold on a Cob posted:

also sometimes pain is just "in your head" and i don't mean that in a dismissive, patronizing way. the pain is real, but the underlying cause might just be an oversensitized nervous system.n likelihood as you age :toot:

yeah meditation can shed interesting light on this

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

part of the thing about having kids is that you have to be a better person, if only for their sake. If that's the only reason you have, well that sucks pretty bad, but its still enough of a reason.

hmm yes indeed. especially now as I support myself entirely, I have to make it work. gently caress life sucks if you’re not wealthy but, have to keep plowing away to keep my kids growing up in a safe loving environment so they don’t start adult life wth an already damaged brain, teach them all the things I wasn’t etc

I clearly need to grow rodtronics to the point that it provides enough of an income for me to not work full time. lmao tho at that dream

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i have the second edition

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

rotor posted:

Life can suck regardless of wealth, some of the most miserable people i knew were immensely wealthy. Suffering is basically invariant across a wide cross-section of humans.

hmm maybe but I’d like to find that out for myself. lol. it’s easy to imagine that if I took out the largest source of suffering and regret from my life, my job, that I could enjoy the things in life I actually do enjoy, time with kids and enough time to pursue my interests. 🤷‍♂️ maybe one day LOL

chin up echi. still got some years yet. turn that frown upside down

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah that occurred to me last night when I was talking to a person going thru first big breakup, after 2 years. but they didn’t have mixed finances or kids or assets and it was tempting to be like “at least this and that”, but that doesn’t matter to her, as far as she’s concerned her heartbreak is as bad as anyone’s etc etc, so I decided against saying that and just went “there there”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

being old sucks. im glad im still young.

yeah lol, for now

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we spell it cheque to differentiate it from the same spelled but utterly different word “check”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
“trump signs into law that there is now just one way to spell ‘there’”:

theiyre

:911:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

"we" do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I fuckin' give the flu shot :smugmrgw:

the people upstairs are trying hard to allow us to give MMR because NZ is close to losing its "measles free" status

and you'll never guess why :argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i mean like, why are we having outbreaks??

lack of vaxxing :argh:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
best thing about measles is that it actually attacks the immune cells that remember immunity to other things and can create “immunity amnesia”. this is only new news to me for whatever reason

I am angry about antivax

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Gentle Autist posted:

looks like a piece of poo poo, op

:pram:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good luck man

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who here considers their omega 3:6 ratio in their daily life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

orthorexia is a disease

micromanaging your micronutrients is not going to extend your life

if someone uses loads of seed oils in their cooking, and especially if they don’t have fishy foods, they might have a worse day to day existence, with more actual pain, especially as osteoarthritis is starting to rear its head.

it’s not difficult to just know a few things and generally try to make decisions in one direction more than another, to literally have less pain and a greater quality of life