Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Palm slamming my heel cushions into my ortho shoes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I think the REAL question is can you get up without your hands AND without making what my kids refer to as 'old man sounds'

(no to both for me)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

the number one response when I get on a dateing app

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

btw osteo biflex does nothing for me i might as well be taking jujubees for my neck and wris pain

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

isnt biofreeze just a higher concentration of menthol?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

20s: feeling like poo poo because you drank way too much last night
30s: feeling like poo poo because you drank slightly too much last night
40s: feeling like poo poo because you slept slightly too much last night

50s: feeling like poo poo because you stood up too fast / didn't drink enough / too much water

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Weird thing is that I have friends who swear by it; I had some success with some glucosamine mixed with vitamin D so thought I'd try it but can't tell if it does anything because level of pain is the same..

I suspect it depends on particular body chemistry

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

also, too much ibuprofen can do a number on your kidneys

metformin too

don't ask me how I know

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Started eating this turmeric cereal I found at the local health food store.

Not bad at all and my joints feel less creaky.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

first loving cold night in the NE and I wake up with my back screaming like a little girl

all my windows were closed too but I didn't turn heat on, which I guess was my downfall

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

pick both and ride to the heavens on a column of your own shite

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I know what you mean, I stepped in a pothole a year ago and got a great case of plantar fasciitis; my foot didn't even hurt until the next day and after that it was like I was that game meme of the guy who caught an arrow in the foot or something, the pain was fairly constant and excruciating..

Was actually referred to a podiatrist / sport doctor who showed me how to tape my foot properly, had to wear the boot at night, and a few months later I'm like 90% pain free but it comes back to haunt me if I twist it just wrong, or if I get up too fast, or the sun comes up that day

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 24, 2021

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

shoeberto posted:

This is our first Halloween in the new house and the town hasn't really posted anything about trick or treat, so I just bought a poo poo load of candy assuming we'd have a huge amount of kids going through. It turns out they do trunk or treat at the nearby park so we had like 10 or so total people come up to the house. So I ate a lot of candy today. Now I feel like trash. What the gently caress.

All the Rivertowns near me decided to do that, one town held it in the commuter parking lot next to the train station.

You visit the trunk of people you know and stay away from vans

I remember taking my kids with me back when I was in Brooklyn and having a blast but was tired the next day from all that walking

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

the worst halloween candy is those peanut chews that come in the black and orange wrappers. those always end up being the last in the bag before going in the trash

Think those are the Goldenberg peanut chews, those were responsible for making one of my kid's fillings drop out, they're pretty vile

Same goes for Bit O'Honeys and Oh Henrys.. people keep those for friggin years then hand them out as filler after they've ossified

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Yeah now we're getting to the 'being old means liking weirdass poo poo because after all these years its time for something different'

which would explain why when I went to a wedding reception 'for the olds' they served all kinds of preserved fish and fried snails and poo poo nobody who wasnt used to eating it for 30 years would touch

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

this only points up the fact that being an old means your taste buds are so short circuited by age that you must resort to more and more inventive ways of adding high Scoville scale foodstuffs to your diet

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you want snow, then Buffalo area / Adirondacks area in upstate NY is what you want if you don't want to go full nutso and go to Anchorage

the only problem is the cheapest real estate is out in the boonies (not near any lakes, richie riches buy lake houses) where you can come home to a bunch of redneck chud hunters lounging on your couch and Lay-Z-Boy who will either shoot you immediately on entering or apologize with 'we didnt think anyone was using this house so we broke in'

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

wanna reiterate that Adirondacks is super chudsy and if you move there your neighbors will be super ex-military chuds on disability who think a good ol' time is plinking cans with their poo poo 22s with your house in the firing radius / downrange

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

rotor posted:

I feel confident that anyone who is competent to operate a motor vehicle has the mental capacity and physical capability to build a simple one room cabin out of 2x4s and plywood.

unless your name is doobie

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

the lube lounge

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

choad abode

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

it's only performance enhancing in the context of making his cartoons wacky-er

in reality it just makes him more doddering the grandpa

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

then I oughta be Galactus

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Plantar fasciitis is a bitch. Ever since I innocently didn't look where I was going and stepped into a pothole, and then a day later was in agony, I had to buy an ankle brace and a spiky ball, tape my ankle up like a mummy, and focus on going up steps on tiptoes instead of regular..

Worst is that in my sitch it seems to recur every so often to the point I'm thinking about getting one of those rechargeable scooters (the one you ride standing up, not the ones for the morbidly obese in Wall-E, though I'm morbidly obese)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Nope had it X-rayed and everything. Good thing my GP recommended that I see a sports injury doctor rather than some humdrum podiatrist. He mentioned I had some bone spurs but they were totally inconsequential, especially in regards to the plantar.

What also helped was getting orthopedic sneakers, ones designed especially for my foot, along with some more expensive New Balances with custom inserts.

Still want to get a scooter just cause it seems people are bringing them onto the subway, buses, commuter trains, etc. I want to inconvenience surrounding passengers too with dirty wheels in their faces.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Eat more meat = early onset arthritis (which is just inflammation), cholesterol issues

sugar free - kinda stupid to fill your body with chems just for sweet taste, your body still reacts to stuff like Splenda and winds up trying to create insulin for no good reason, still overworks your pancreas, if you're gonna use something use stevia or xylitol, stevia is natural and xylitol may help with bone density

too much diet coke and you'll wind up ossifying / super damaging your kidneys

don't ask me how i know

as far as turd issues go, either metamucil (I don't use caps as I like the taste) or sodium docusate tabs

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 10, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

major cormorbidities thats what

Tricky Dick Nixon actually made sure Medicare covers one of them back in 1973

but it doesn't really make up for some of the other poo poo he did

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 10, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

mediaphage posted:

lol you weirdo stevia and xylitol are chemicals too, natural does not mean good for you

Ya thats obvious but you're right, we are surrounded by chems some good some bad

quote:

but anyway they’re all fine.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

popping too many ibuprofens could wreck your kidneys

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Deepfreeze: it's loving spray menthol. That's it. Think it'd be cheaper just to buy some Vicks Vapo-Rub and use that.

Voltaren: numbs things down a little but not much better than menthol for me.

Gold Bond Pain and Itch Cream with Lidocaine: Useless against chronic pain for me, but does take care of itchy patches ok.

Aspercreme with Lidocaine Maximum Strength: see Deepfreeze and Voltaren.

Organic Hemp Seed Oil: actually effective, actually brings arthritis pain level down instead of masking it with an endothermal reaction. Doesn't get rid of it completely but so far better than everything else I just listed in terms of actually helping, you do have to work it in a bit though and especially work it in at the joints. Thanks for mentioning it. Edit: more effective when used regularly rather than just during flareups.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jan 17, 2022

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

also voltaren isn't a numbing/cooling/heating agent at all, it's an nsaid. when taken orally its called diclofenac. it's weird that you're classifying it with menthol cream, tiger balm, etc

I'm putting Voltroneranon or whatever with the balms because for me it's literally just a tiny bit more effective than them. I got some and put it on and 20 minutes later I'm back to the same level of pain as when I started; might work fine for some people but deffo not for me.

quote:

i'm gonna try hempseed oil

I worked in a palmful into my hands around 1:30 this afternoon and it's 7:38 now and the pain level is still quite reduced. I didn't get as much on my left hand as I did my right and it's only starting to feel stiff again now. They still smell of the hempseed but 1) it's not a super unpleasant odor and 2) I'll take the slight odor in exchange for the reduction in pain.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

is there a specific, US-available brand of hempseed oil any of yall can recommend? im hesitant to just grab one cause it seems theres a lot of overlap here with homeopathic bullshit and i dont wanna think

internal or external?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

I need to buy a new neck pillow, these memory foam shits I got from IKEA only lasted about four months and now they don't provide enough support for my hydrocephalic deformed head

also learned that as you get older, you do NOT jump out of bed or get up too fast. well if you don't want to collapse in a heap of agony as soon as your feet touch the floor you don't

it's sad, I used to be able to snap my fingers and jump bolt upright getting out of bed, if I do it now it's like I hit a brick wall as I will either get attacked by leg cramps or pull a chest muscle

leg cramps used to bother me a lot even when I run / power walk and stay hydrated and do that stretchy poo poo I made fun of my brothers for doing

it really sucks when they wake you up at night and you have to wait for them to go away, it leads to loss of REM sleep

finally stopped it after taking a cocktail of glucosamine, magnesium, and vitamin D3 in the middle of the day, not night

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

After my case of plantar fasciitis, I tried coasting but the pain wouldn't go fully away until I wore the splint EVERY night, did the wall / toes up exercises, rolled the spiky ball on my arch for 15 mins. a day, AND went up every drat staircase using only my toes to contact.. it took me four months to not wince in pain getting up in the AM

Sports doc told me you gotta work for everything, muscle death means muscle life blah blah blah

As for the magnesium, I find that I have to take it midday / morning for it to be effective, if I take it around dinnertime / right before Zzz, nope no good wakey wakey at 4 am with the feeling someone is using a rusty chainsaw on my leg tendons

could be because of other organ failures though, it's different for everybody I'd imagine based on how many systems you have breaking down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What also sucks is the Zyrtec losing its effectiveness after a while and then you have to switch to something else because your body has built up a tolerance to it.

Getting older also means you can't leap out of your bed and scream "A-HAAAAHH" anymore to wake up. If I do that, I either pull something or my legs buckle out from under me.