Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
that sucks echi, even if you're not terribly close

my dad died almost ten years ago now from esophageal cancer

(gently caress cancer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

I read it and I care. This is some difficult poo poo to navigate and I'm sorry you're going through this

💖

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
speaking of wills, if you have kids or you're north of 40 (and i assume you are if you're reading this thread) you should get that poo poo in order and update it regularly

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

FMguru posted:

also: get down on paper what you want done if you are incapacitated (living will, do not resuscitate orders, etc.)

and yeah put together a document with all the information your heirs will need (passwords, bank account numbers, retirement account info, etc) to wrap up your affairs without too much hassle

having a well organized home is both a great way to live and a great way to die ie not leaving a hoard of crap behind, having important and sentimental things easy to find and not buried in a hoard, etc etc. there was even a fad (maybe it's dismissive to call it that) and a book about it called "swedish death cleaning" that is all about the topic but i don't think you need to read a book to get the gist of it.

i am so not looking forward to mrs cob and i dealing with my in-laws' house if they pass away suddenly. they also don't have a will. we really need to start pushing them to deal with all this :/

my mom, i expect, won't leave much behind except debt. my dad left us pick-up truck equity and a duffel bag full of clothes and toiletries so at least it was easy enough to deal with all that after he passed.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
sorry echi

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

grief is a personal thing and everyone deals with it differently. don't let anyone else tell you you're doing it wrong, and don't feel bad about felling bad or not.

+1

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i bought an electric trimmer

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Kenny Logins posted:

i bought a cordless wahl instead of a corded peanut one and turns out my current hair dresser uses the peanut one lol

yeah i got a cordless one, it's great

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
over the last seven days i've been emailing back and forth with a csr at a national medical supply store trying to get them to credit the loyalty program points that they forgot to credit me during a recent transaction (hey, it's $60 worth of points!)

i feel like i've crossed the old fart rubicon here

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Roosevelt posted:

bro don’t even get me started on grocery store fuel rewards cards

americans have it 10x better than us canadians on that front, our coupon game is weak and our loyalty programs are kinda meh but i do what i can

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

the shoppers stuff is pretty good but i dont have the patience mostly. those redflagdeals people are loving insane

yeah, some of the lengths they go to is insane. there is one good way to game the system i think i found there or maybe came up with on my own, i can't remember: buying fixed price video game stuff on bonus point days (either earn extra or redeem for extra, both are good) at shoppers drug mart - ie they sell consoles and new games for the same price as everyone else so the points earned/used have more value on those items there than, say, high markup stuff. i imagine it's similar for other low markup stuff but since i'm a goon i bought playstations :hehe:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

mediaphage posted:

it's both! i think you're "supposed" to buy things when you get extra points for spending a lot of money, then redeem on bonus redemption days

for sure but the trick is buying stuff they can't mark up a ridiculous amount vs something like food which is like 2x what you'd pay at no frills

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
I’m north of toronto at a cottage and since it’s our first day here and we were late we went into town to eat. I had a maple cheddar bacon chicken burg for dinner that was absolutely 10x better than anything you’d get at mcdo but the fries were 100x worse. like just absolute trash, not even a bit redeemable and I should have just got soup. luckily the burg and the booze were plenty filling.

mcdonalds french fry game is unparalleled as long as you eat them fresh, even if you hate salt and ask for no salt (don’t @ me jonny)

also if you think the mcdo app and loyalty points is lol check out the tim hortons one where they lost a class action for tracking people when the app was closed, identifying their home and workplace, etc. the penalty? free coffee and donut to be awarded via the app. lol. lmao. I’m sure every loyalty app is doing excessive tracking or at least was.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

fries are the rice of the midwest

no I meant don’t @ me about customizing my fast food order, you can go off about Midwest shaming idc about that … I’m just here temporarily ….. 12 years now holy poo poo I miss mountains lately

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cold on a Cob posted:

over the last seven days i've been emailing back and forth with a csr at a national medical supply store trying to get them to credit the loyalty program points that they forgot to credit me during a recent transaction (hey, it's $60 worth of points!)

i feel like i've crossed the old fart rubicon here

update: after 9 emails I finally got my loving points. squeaky old wheel ftw!

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
fyi ios 16 health app now has a pill tracker/reminder built in

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Bone Crimes posted:

I think I'm going down this path pretty quickly, so I would like to know more about the process here, :tipshat:

if it's the same thing that my wife got it'll cost ~10k. they implant tiny little lenses behind your natural lenses using a needle - the lens unfurls after it's injected. wife went from like -15 or something like that to -.25 and eventually her vision settled at around -2 so she still needs glasses. she's no longer blind as a bat without them though so it was really worth it for her.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Bone Crimes posted:

Thanks for the info --Did she have trouble adjusting to the new lens or anything? Did they do both eyes at the same time? Did she decide to do it for improved quality of life (like you said) for extreme nearsightedness, or did she have other issues(like early stage cataracts) added to the mix? kinda crappy you had to spend 10K when like it sounds like something that insurance should have covered(lol america)

I've got a some other eye issues so I'd likely have to get the lenses for astigmatism as well, and while I adjust pretty well to extreme lenses, I'm leery of the adjustment period and losing any clarity.

Getting older sucks.

we're canadian, but it also wasn't covered here at all. we were able to write off the expense on our taxes so our actual cost was a lot less.

they did the eyes one day apart. procedure was fairly quick.

no early stage cataracts but her corneas are extremely thin so laser was not possible (then or now), she could only use hard contact lenses, had to special order glasses to get extremely thin ones, etc. she had no problems adjusting after the fact but she did have to wait for her eye swelling to go down before getting new glasses and we think that took a few weeks.

as she has aged her eyes have become even worse so she's really glad she got them

this is the doctor that performed the surgery: https://www.gimbeleyecentre.com/doctors/ophthalmologist-gimbel

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

cowboy beepboop posted:

👀perfect vision crew👀 checking in while it lasts lol

*puts on reading glasses*

oh, lol, so you're me like four years ago then

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
yep apparently the side effects are far less of a problem than with, say, lasik

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Bone Crimes posted:

Thanks for the info. I had cornea issues that required hard contacts then a corneal transplant in one eye, and now getting all the fun effects of pre-cataracts, so the fun doesn't stop with gettin' old.

oof sounds rough. good luck, in your case it sounds like it might not be for “lifestyle reasons” so maybe you’ll have better luck with insurance

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Cat Face Joe posted:

drat man, the pandemic hosed you up

turn your monitor on

also my monitor turn that on too

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Trig Discipline posted:

this_thread.jpg

lol, truth

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

quite literally me, lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
bendydick cumbersnatch

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

aging punk yosposter slaps another band plang sticker on the sleep apnea machine

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

rotor posted:

AJ, how could you do this to me when I am at my most vulnerable?!? Have you no goodness in your heart??

for real this reminds me how i've started to really notice how getting older can harden your heart and i'm doing my best to not just go with that

metaphorically though also literally i guess

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Truman Peyote posted:

a friend of mine got food poisoning and reported experiencing "his first adult vom." very impressive imo

how???

i had food poisoning this week and for once i didn't actually vomit, not that there was anything left to come up after 16 hours of toilet destruction

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i don't even remember all the times i've barfed since college

i do remember the last time though, when i got gastroenteritis in new zealand. this eventually lead to me learning adults don't eat applesauce there and they don't have pepto bismol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
c old man s: i had a random pain this weekend that reminded me of the kidney stone i had a few years ago. i really hope it's not making a comeback but if it does i'm demanding the good drugs this time.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

FMguru posted:

calling them "stones" really undersells what they actually look like (a package of razor blades that suffered a transporter accident rather than something smooth and round that youd find in a streambed)

yeah even kidney crystals would be a lot more accurate

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

i printed out "you had a better day than jordan peterson" and taped it to my bathroom mirror and it cured so many of my brain bummer maladies

nice

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
i've always said "there's no way i have adhd" but then i do an online screener and the questions like "How often do you have problems remembering appointments or obligations?" come up and i smugly think to myself "never, because i religiously put appointments into my phone immediately because i'll absolutely forget about them otherwise oh gently caress"

like i sometimes wonder if i'm just pretty good at coping w/ inherent issues i have ie i am hyper organized in a lot of ways, well beyond what i see others doing, and it's something i learned not something that came natural to me at all

the reason i'm thinking about this at all (other than y'all posting about it) is i do hyperfocus on stuff (sometimes good, sometimes bad) + inability to focus on "boring" stuff (like my work), but i do score low on impulsivity/hyperactivity so vOv

my shrink didn't think i had adhd (he volunteered this information to me, i didn't even ask at the time) so probably just one of those things about how we define mental/mood disorders based on groups of symptoms

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Sweevo posted:

i just spent 4 days in hospital with kidney stones.

i would advice everyone to do whatever they can to not get kidney stones

did they give you that drug that dilates your ureter? or this:

President Beep posted:

drat. had them twice but never had to go to the hospital. did they blast them with sound?

how did you get them diagnosed if you didn't go to the hospital?

now that i've had one before i might not rush to the hospital if i get one again and the pain is manageable but the first time i had one i was pretty confident i was going to die lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

sucks to hear you crashed your car

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006