Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

rotor posted:

for those keeping score at home, that's $33/year
If you had bought it two years later in 2000 it would have probably been $33 total. Also, having mostly worked in places that use Aeron chairs, IMO Ikea chairs are more comfortable than Aerons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i am pretty sure most people would describe a 46 year old man's death as tragically early
You might want to check that math.

mystes
May 31, 2006

28 * 2 isn't 46.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Maybe it won't kill you but acetaminophen is a really bad drug to gently caress around with so I'm inclined to side with nbsd on this one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Insomnia is cool because if you don't get enough sleep you're probably going to increase your chances of getting alzheimers but if you take a lot of sleeping medications you're also going to increase your chances of getting alzheimers. Luckily thinking about how important sleep and the fact that you're not getting enough is is a great way to fall asleep easier.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 16, 2019

mystes
May 31, 2006

DiggityDoink posted:

I’m pretty sure I’ll never be old or dorky enough to own a cardigan. tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows on the other hand...
Every gentleman should have a good vaping jacket.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OI-zCnVOGM

i legit miss video rental stores and i can't explain why
I miss going to video rental stores but I don't miss actually having to try to find a movie I want to watch at them.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think if you've had a legit bad reaction to a flu shut (and not like "I think the flu shut gave me the flu") you're excused from getting one.

mystes
May 31, 2006

James Baud posted:

(There wasn't really a winner there since she was in hospital for a couple days.)
The hospital billing department, OP.

mystes
May 31, 2006

prefect posted:

i've never gotten the back/neck cracking done, but i do watch videos of it almost every night to help me go to sleep :allears:
Alternatively, you can watch videos of chiropractors adjusting the spines of babies if you want help staying awake.

mystes
May 31, 2006

For some reason that video makes me more uncomfortable than if they were using it as an obscenity.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fart simpson posted:

is anyone itt dead yet
I tried, OP, but I just keep waking up and it's the same day again.

mystes
May 31, 2006

People here are fairly likely to be working remotely and never go outside anyway, which should hopefully reduce the risk of the roni slightly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Coffee oreo ice cream is good.

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I was about to sit down at the desk when I checked myself and realized I'm nude. I have no idea when I took my clothes off, or why.

Is this the end?
It probably depends on whether or not you're WFH

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

It's Saturday.
If you're lucky, nobody saw you then.

mystes
May 31, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

i don't think it's genetic, you can find lots of accounts of grandparents/parents in traditional food environments who have perfect teeth and jaws and the latest generation who are eating industrial foods have crowding and cavities. too fast to be genetic.
This post brought to you by the Weston A. Price Foundation.

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

lol you don’t have to suck my dick just to tell me to suck yours
I don't know; it's only fair.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shaggar posted:

"genetically tailored supplements" sounds like you've got a pretty good idea for a subscription supplement service. You charge $19.99/month and just send them some generic multivitamins
It looks like there are already companies doing this.

mystes
May 31, 2006

President Beep posted:

one time i dreamed that i was eating a giant marshmallow and when i woke up my pillow was gone. :shrug:
Mike Lindell begs to differ.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Well when is Something Awful launching its Tik Tok* competitor?

*: The kids have probably already stopped using Tik Tok so imagine I wrote whatever they're actually using here.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

I love it when tori figures out basic how to be an adult poo poo and runs around telling everybody like they don't know. shaving, exercise, eating like an adult. next he's gonna read a novel or something and have his mind blown
It's called "adulting." Or maybe "molting." Something like that anyway.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

check your toothpaste. if i use the wrong toothpaste it ruins my week
Maybe I've been using the wrong toothpaste my whole life, huh.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Captain Foo posted:

no joke though morbid obesity is one of those things i find profoundly disturbing
When you think about it, with all the health effects that have been shown to be linked to weight, you probably don't even need to be morbidly obese to be "morbidly obese" in the sense that your weight will kill you; just being overweight may be enough. Doubtless this will make things less disturbing for you.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Some people are just short. It's okay. No need to turn it into Some Big Tragedy
That's just what Citadel wants you to think.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

i love how there are just these microgenres that i can find thanks to youtube or bandcamp and buy online. indie music seems to be doing ok

ultrafilter posted:

Thanks, youtube.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GOUTSE.CX: posting good anymore

mystes
May 31, 2006

Cold on a Cob posted:

mods rename this thread to "old man yells at soundcloud", tia

mystes
May 31, 2006

Are these gummy candies?

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

No?

Anyway sometimes you think a product has not been made in decades, and then you go to a shop somewhere you don't normally go to, and they're right there, and in the same packaging as in 1986. (The middle one is obviously newer packaging, dunno why):

Oh okay it's licorice, thank you for your extremely helpful post.

mystes
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

i thought a useful post would have been wasted as it seemed you were senile (those looking absolutely nothing like gummies). sorry!
I'm sorry that I have offended your sensibilities as a chewy candy expert. To my untrained eye what you posted doesn't look that different from something like this:

mystes
May 31, 2006

Yes?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

The Roman cookbook of Apicius (4th century) has a recipe for deep-fried chicken called Pullum Frontonianum.[1]

The American English expression "fried chicken" is first recorded in the 1830s, and frequently appears in American cookbooks of the 1860s and 1870s.[2] The origin of fried chicken in the southern states of America has been traced to precedents in Scottish[3][4][5] and West African cuisine.[6][7][8][9] Scottish fried chicken was cooked in fat (though unseasoned)[3][5] while West African fried chicken was seasoned[3][4][9] (but battered[7][10] and cooked in palm oil).[6] Scottish frying techniques and African seasoning techniques were used in the American South by African slaves.[3][4][5][9] Fried chicken provided some means of an independent economy for enslaved and segregated African-American women, who became noted sellers of poultry (live or cooked) as early as the 1730s.[11] Because of this and the expensive nature of the ingredients, it was, despite popular belief, a rare dish in the African-American community[6] reserved (as in Africa) for special occasions.[10][8][9]
But what about what Rotor was a kid?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

There is absolutely nothing wrong with fast food and the people wandering around hooting and hollering about how it's debased and how it "makes them sick" are virtue signaling classist shitheads.

McDonalds has one of the cleanest and most efficient supply chains to ever exist in human history.

Taco bell is ground beef with significant vegetable filler (which isn't a bad thing imho), tortillas, cheese, tomatoes, and lettuce in various configurations. It's basic, normal food. If you can get uppity over something that simple you can get uppity over anything.

The fact that people will piss and moan about how 'unhealthy' McDonalds is before going to some local place and slamming down some 1800 calorie burger of the week and three beers will never stop being funny to me.
Yeah. Also people complaining about "processed" food but not being able to define the term coherently or explain why cheap food that has a certain step performed in its production is "processed" but fancy food that has an identical step performed in its production is magically not "processed."

mystes
May 31, 2006

I've had takeout maybe once a month at most for the last year, and I've been cooking everything from scratch basically, but I'm under no illusions that that magically makes it healthy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Salt and preservatives aren't inherently bad for you.
Most salt/preservatives probably aren't (salt isn't if you don't have high blood pressure but that's probably like half of americans) but IIRC the one thing that might be is nitrites, although that's just stuff like bacon (including "uncured" bacon) rather than mcdonalds hamburgers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Interesting. That is pretty complicated and I'm not sure if it's worth worrying about them even if they might be worse in meat than other stuff.

mystes
May 31, 2006

qirex posted:

you were probably talking to a grubhub employee
lmao

mystes
May 31, 2006

echinopsis posted:

if junk food was bland, we would eat less of it, and it would be less bad for us because of that

a sad reality is that if you want to lose weight a very good approach is to make your food taste much more ordinary
Just make everyone permanently lose their sense of smell. You could probably eliminate the obesity epidemic overnight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

MononcQc posted:

I’ve got good news about covid then
People on ventilators and corpses also don't eat very much junk food.