Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Tresspasser is absolutely fascinating from a technical perspective. You know those games where people say "they were designing to the absolute limits of the game cartridge and it's amazing what they managed to pull off"? Tresspasser is the opposite side of the line, where they were aiming for the limits of computing but were a few years short of what was possible. It's easy to look at the game and think they were trying to copy other folks' success on the cheap but no; these were ideas ahead of their time but not so far ahead that they were obviously doomed to fail. A physics engine 6 years before Half-Life 2 marketed a whole game on the idea. VR-style manipulation when that was getting tech demos at science museums on huge rigs (I played one at the Seattle Science Center around this time). An ecosystem and dinosaur AI so complex they had to throttle it down to a couple of dinos per level because it was too late to alter that. Every part of this game was ambitious and unfortunately they tried to do it all at once.

E: did anyone try the no-UI thing again until Peter Jackson's King Kong game in 2005?

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 6, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Antistar01 posted:

It is cool to see the game being covered even twenty years later, though. That kind of blows my mind, actually. Same with people making mods for the game to this day - that video did also show some of those briefly. I've never really checked out the modded content for the game, I have to admit.

It's a game where the heart and ambition can show. They couldn't do what they intended on systems of the day, and didn't have the time/money/experience required to figure out how to do something else, but the effort is visible.