Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Well, no, I'm not really gonna do that. But there's a brand new Invader Zim movie out on Netflix and it's just as stupid as the old show.
Zim almost manages to get the Irken Armada to destroy Earth, but then he fucks it all up, as usual. It's bloody Minimoose that's all at fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnKp83IOPA

And yes, it's as monkey cheese as ever. If you liked the show as a kid it still holds up. Nothing wrong with a little monkey cheese now and then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Hot Topic ceo rocking back and forth in room full of GIR merch awaiting this special

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Good stupid or bad stupid?

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I loved Zim in college and I loved the movie. Was hoping for an actual conclusion to the story but it was still great.

Keep it up Zim, I believe in you. :unsmith:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Resting Lich Face posted:

Stupid as it ever was, friend. Stupid as it ever was.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
Good to know. I'll keep it in mind for next time I score some weed.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

holds up monetized spork

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

big nipples big life posted:

holds up monetized spork

Stick that spork up yer arse. Zim is one of the things from the early 2000's that is still good and pure because it was always tainted in a good way.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Lodin posted:

Well, no, I'm not really gonna do that. But there's a brand new Invader Zim movie out on Netflix and it's just as stupid as the old show.
Zim almost manages to get the Irken Armada to destroy Earth, but then he fucks it all up, as usual. It's bloody Minimoose that's all at fault.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDnKp83IOPA

And yes, it's as monkey cheese as ever. If you liked the show as a kid it still holds up. Nothing wrong with a little monkey cheese now and then.

Sounds epic thanks OP.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
edgy show

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I think the movie did a good job, if they make more great but either way I can rest easy.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Glad to hear this OP. I tried to watch the Netflix Rocko’s modern life movie the other day and it was so, so bad.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

The nice thing about being in college for Zim was that nobody ever quoted it around me, so I didn't have to put up with overexposure or monkeycheede middle schoolers. Looking forward to the movie

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

for reasons I can’t to this day adequately explain, I never quite got into Invader Zim, although I’m happy to try it. How is this piece as an introduction to/encapsulation of the series?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SatansOnion posted:

for reasons I can’t to this day adequately explain, I never quite got into Invader Zim, although I’m happy to try it. How is this piece as an introduction to/encapsulation of the series?

Its worse... or... better?

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

SatansOnion posted:

This in many ways is just concluding a bunch of the hanging plot arcs that the show left dangling so I'd say probably pretty poorly. At minimum you probably want to watch the first episode to get an idea who is doing stuff and why it's happening that way.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Das Boo actually worked on this which is pretty cool.

I liked it a lot. It's sort of a series finale the show never had.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
New Johnny the Homicidal Maniac next maybe?!?!???!?!!??!?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Ah wow. My kids found my old Zim DVDs and fell in love a couple years back. I had no idea this movie was happening and I'm totally going to surprise them tomorrow night.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I dragged my nuts over op's face.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Nathilus posted:

it would be cool if Jhonen Vasquez did a new and more adult animation for Netflix but I think right now the world needs more of Zim and Gir screaming

Gaunab posted:

I dragged my nuts over op's face.

Very random, I can just imagine Zim saying this to Dib

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Resting Lich Face posted:

is there really a difference?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Invader Zim was years ahead of its time. The world is horrible and stupid and run by idiots.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Mission Hills was years ahead of its time. The world is horrible and stupid and run by idiots.

Invader Zim was funny when you're 13 but does not hold up

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Nooner posted:

Just like your posting!!!1! :cheeky:

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Nathilus posted:

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nooner posted:

but Mission Hill does

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I liked it more than the Rocko movie that Netflix released the week before. Are Netflix just releasing 90s Nick toon specials every Friday now or something?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Chrs posted:

I liked it more than the Rocko movie that Netflix released the week before. Are Netflix just releasing 90s Nick toon specials every Friday now or something?

More like Nickelodeon produced these things and then couldn't seem to figure out a way to put them on the air.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Chrs posted:

Nickelodeon made a Hey Arnold movie and a Rocko movie and a Invader Zim movie. They Hey Arnold movie got bad ratings on Nickelodeon on television because they forgot the target audience (30-year-old millennials obsessed with cartoons from their youth) no longer have cable, So they sat on the Rocko and Zim movies for over a year even though they were finished because they were looking for other distribution options and they finally sold them to Netflix so now Netflix released both of them this month.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
felt like more of the same, like this was a script they wrote before they got cancelled a long time ago. the Rocko reboot kinda built on its past and moved on from it

Zim was the first thing i ever watched that made a mix of 2d/3d animation that looked like something I could maybe MAYBE pull off and it got me trying Flash and Swift3D and other poo poo for the first time

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
The Invader Zim movie's actually pretty good; they manage to keep the overly-dadaist humor and callbacks to a minimum, alongside giving the characters something resembling development.

Also good god, the animation they pull off with their TV-movie-level budget is insane.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
They blended the 2d and 3d pretty good. Can see some rough edges in the animation where they didn't have the nick bucks to smooth em over like the old days, but they use what they have pretty effectively. Writing felt pretty much the same, if you liked it then you know what to expect. Some good visual gags but not as much gross or macabre stuff. Felt like a lot of the backdrops and lighting especially was a little flat, I recall the shots from the show seemed to have a lot more dynamic bgs/sets with very insidious and tense shot framing and lighting, but the action moved really quick from setpiece to setpiece in this so maybe they just didn't get to play around with extended scenes. Whole presentation just felt a little more upbeat and energetic then the old show, which was kind of darker, which was what I think gave it the funny contrast. Lol that he got the mindless self indulgence guy in on the soundtrack but just for the monkey cheese nonsense song that plays on outer space radio. Cool that the same voice actors came back.

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
cartoons are for children

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

roarpower posted:

but Mission Hill does

It only gets better the older and more jaded you get

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is my favorite cover of the Doom Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMIeHFza7GA

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i had dinner with jhonen vasquez once so im basically a celebrity itt. my take on this very important topic is that this movie can invade my loving dick and balls with a tire iron. gently caress off

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

i had dinner with jhonen vasquez once so im basically a celebrity itt. my take on this very important topic is that this movie can invade my loving dick and balls with a tire iron. gently caress off

This is actually pretty cool if true. How did you end up doing that and what was it like?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

This is actually pretty cool if true. How did you end up doing that and what was it like?

It was a long time ago, one of my friends at the time was working on a project with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roarpower
Jul 11, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Julius CSAR posted:

It only gets better the older and more jaded you get

it was such a good show.