Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Smythe posted:

this movie can invade my loving dick and balls with a tire iron.

This does sound like the plot to one of his comics, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Zim! Zim got the bug, man!

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
it feels exactly like the old tv show

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

roarpower posted:

it was such a good show.

they were on SALE

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's really good and even if you don't know anything about Zim you'll have a good time

My wife has never seen it but really enjoyed it

Uriah Heep
Apr 28, 2010

im having a bit of an existential crisis here guys
Rocco's modern Life movie was good and so was this.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
bloaty's pizza hog

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Apparently the tonal changes are more in line with the post-show comics.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Julius CSAR posted:

It only gets better the older and more jaded you get

It was so good, I wish it had gotten a second season.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

best bale posted:

Glad to hear this OP. I tried to watch the Netflix Rocko’s modern life movie the other day and it was so, so bad.

You scared of Rachel?

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Guess I'll watch it. It was a pretty grotesque show at times, but kids don't mind that at all. The episode where Zim is covered in pus oozing space acne while working at the fast food joint is kinda burned into my mind.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

I laughed when the angry ship had strong opinions about how many butts is too many

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Jeza posted:

Guess I'll watch it. It was a pretty grotesque show at times, but kids don't mind that at all. The episode where Zim is covered in pus oozing space acne while working at the fast food joint is kinda burned into my mind.

Is that when he discovers the burger meat is the only thing not covered in bacteria?

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

*high pitched farty squeaky noise*

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

scott zoloft posted:

Is that when he discovers the burger meat is the only thing not covered in bacteria?

Because it ended up being made of less costly tissue paper after a lengthy process of trying to engineer Elon Musk space meat, yes.

Edit: No, I misremembered, they're two different episodes.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

underage at the vape shop posted:

You scared of Rachel?

I had to look her up. That’s cool of the creators. I didn’t get that far into the movie, I couldn’t get past the airline food-equivalent jokes about food trucks and expensive doughnuts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It doesn't help that the Rocko movie was finished in 2017 and sat on the shelf while Nick was looking for a distributor.

best bale
Jul 4, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, now it makes more sense. With that in mind I’ll have to give it another try.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
Well, I watched it and it was pretty bad OP. Couple of sensible chuckles maybe.

If you didn't see the series as a kid, don't bother. If you did, I guess if you're desperate. Only a shade over an hour too.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i probably would have liked this when i was 13 but now it's meh

Korthal
May 26, 2011

I watched it in two halves and I enjoyed it. I loved Clembrane, he just wanted to pwotect his famiwy :downs:

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

Gir is cute

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I liked the show most of all for its bleak cynicism which was kind of lacking in the movie, but it was still a good watch

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I liked the movie but i always hated that obnoxious little squeaking robot, even as a kid

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sentient Data posted:

I liked the show most of all for its bleak cynicism which was kind of lacking in the movie, but it was still a good watch

The bleak cynicism has kinda lost its novelty now that the mainstream has embraced 'we're all monsters lol nothing matters'

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The bleak cynicism has kinda lost its novelty now that the mainstream has embraced 'we're all monsters lol nothing matters'

That was always part of the plan. Soon they will have destroyed all human value except for money

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
drat I wish Jhonen Vasquez hadn't missed the boat when Adult Swim was first coming out.

TheWeepingHorse
Nov 20, 2009

The movie was good! It's funny, well-animated, and it ended the whole story with the right tone. I enjoyed the theme of all the father figures being hosed up, with varying levels of reconciliation being possible or warranted.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JK Fresco posted:

That was always part of the plan. Soon they will have destroyed all human value except for money

'soon'

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

LordArgh posted:

cartoons are for children

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wu-Tang is also for the children

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
OP sing the doom song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C48GKu-e_QQ

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Caesar Saladin posted:

i always hated that obnoxious little squeaking robot, even as a kid

America loves GIR

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I used to be a huge jthm/squee fangirl and this made me want to dig out my comics again. Mini moose was cute :3:

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I thought it was funny as poo poo and the Chicken and Rice song was funny and the part where they were spinning that little planet and the cute tiny cake eating animals were screaming as loud as humanly possible had me laughing so hard I had tears in my eyes.

It was stupid as gently caress and definitely retained its old sense of humor but the sincerity of it made it not cringey like I expected but actually funny af.

Lighten up bitches!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

drat I wish Jhonen Vasquez hadn't missed the boat when Adult Swim was first coming out.
His experience with Nick soured him pretty badly with networks.

AS probably could have wheeled several dump trucks worth of cash and his choice of employees and he still would have shut the door in their faces.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I think I'm too old to like this now. I liked JtHM Squee and when Zim came on Nickelodeon. But I watched this movie and it wasn't funny and it was boring. I am dead inside. Getting old sucks.

Welp, I'll be over here voting Republican and hating minorities I guess. gently caress me.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Haven't watched the Zim one yet but I watched the Rocko one. The whole thing felt extremely forced to me and had only a few mildly funny moments. But then again I also don't think the original show holds up at all as an adult like many claim. Like, yeah it's got the adult humor but it's typically only funny in a "wow they got away with that huh?" way and not organically funny.

I don't remember the Hey Arnold one feeling forced and it also feels like a proper movie instead of an extended episode. Though my memory is hazy since I hadn't watched it since it premiered. It probably also helps that I feel that Hey Arnold is a refreshing nostalgia trip to take from time to time because of the show's friendly, non-cynical, non-obnoxious tone, a combination not found in modern animated shows.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
thought this was pretty boring and not as surreal or with as many odd/unique plot concepts as the original. just some re-heated style gags thrown on top of a generic story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I watched a shitload of cartoons as a non-kid in the '90s, and always found Rocko to be abrasive unfunny trash that took all the wrong ideas from older, better cartoons. Sorry about your childhoods.

e: okay, I feel a little bad about this. Really not trying to poo poo on anyone who liked it. I honestly wanted to give the movie a fair shake, and thought that going into it with fresh eyes might help me to see whatever it was I missed back then, but less than five minutes in it's NIPPLES OF THE FUTURE and I was instantly reminded why I never liked it in the first place.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 25, 2019