Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Welcome to La Liga 2019/2020. The league actually started yesterday but I was in Ontario wine country getting loaded and comparing the nose of a pinot gris to a lacquered table. Anyway, as like last year I'll provide a quick write up on the top 3 teams and maybe some other stuff depending on if I find something better to do in the next hour. Feel free to provide your own write ups or previews, but like mine, they should be purely objective. As always, please remember that his is a safe space (maybe the safest outside of Legoworld) for discussions of autism, ASD, and train scheduling.

Barcelona

Last year: They won the league easily yet again which probably distracted from the fact that they relied far too much on Messi and played a lot of trash football. They actually transformed into a fairly strong defensive side (insert joke about La Liga defending) and relied less and less on their typical possession style. Dembele got hurt early and had trouble easing back into the squad, Lenglet stole Umtiti's job after he came back from the WC injured, and Coutinho was so loving bad they couldn't even sell him to a dumb English team. They also got completely embarrassed yet again in the CL semi because their manager thought playing a 422 for the first time all year in the second leg was a good idea.

This year: Speaking of Valverde, despite on his way to winning 3 leagues in a row he'll probably get canned if they dont get to the CL final at least. This is both completely fair (because he is a choke artist) and completely insane (because they have lost like 4 games over the past two leagues). The main thing to watch this year is if their young midfielders like Arthur (who owns) De Jong and Alena can start to realistically replace the older guard of Rakitic and Busquets. The same thing goes for their front line, which is looking to ease out of the Suarez era and move towards a trident of Messi, The Greaseman and Dembele.

Atletico Madrid

Last year: Like Barca, Atleti had a season that was both successful and disappointing. They came in 2nd yet again and are continually making the case for being the best team in their city. That said, they never really got close enough to Barca, they lost a bunch of winnable games and (also) choked like dogs in the CL. Last year was basically their final year of the squad that got them to the CL finals and won the league a few years back and so it was a bit disappointing they didn't keep it closer.

This year I can't think of a team that has overturned their roster more radically than Atleti over the past few years. They basically sold what was left of their core from a few years back including some promising young players who developed over the past year. In their stead they added Joao Felix, some British fullback and a bunch of other younger players who might seemingly transform their entire style. I still expect Simeone to come out with his narrow rows of 4 but it'll be interesting to see if he opens things up more.

Real Madrid

last year they were poo poo and couldn't score goals without Big Ron. They got 2 coaches fired and they had a terribly old and slow defense and midfield. Vinicius was cool for like 3 weeks but then got hurt. Eventually Zidane came back. They got owned in the CL and routinely lost games to the worst teams in the league. They also didn't score for like a month or something. Garry Bale refused to go for dinner after 8 pm which means he's not allowed to play. When he does he gets whistled but that might be a more racist thing, as spanish fans are known for making monkey noises at players.

this year they are poo poo. They finally added someone who could score in Hazard who I guess is good because he played well in England. Zidane will probably threaten to step down for the first 3 months of the season and eventually finally take "time off to spend with his family" when they are down 15 points in February. Ramos will demand to take penalties and we will finally learn that the whole stadium rebuilding project has been yet another construction/money laundering scheme. They will be slightly less bad than last year.

Other stuff

-Getafe was really surprising and good last year so it'll be interesting to see how they fare. Betis and Bilboa are always exciting IMO, especially the former who seems to win or lose every game 3-2.
-For news just read the Spanish rags like marca.com or sport.es. They are trash but fun and routinely fill their sites with slideshows of instagram models and half naked celebs.
-Sid Lowe has a decent podcast where he talks about the league. Actually, it's pretty bad but it's better than any other i've come across.
-You can watch on BeIn or most likely the Internet.
-Dont @ me cus Ray Hudson owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
It's funny, to me, that after all of that poo poo that went down over the summer, Zidane is starting Bale in the league opener

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

and he's playing really well.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
good luck to not barcelona and not real madrid.

i was in ontario wine country as well op where did you go.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Let us not forget that yesterday without a certain model train enthusiast the Barca boys got turned over by a 38 year old.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

mila kunis posted:

good luck to not barcelona and not real madrid.

i was in ontario wine country as well op where did you go.

We were in Prince Edward County for a few days. Mostly hit up the wineries around Wellington. Domaine Darius and Traynord estates were my favourite and the lunch at Norman Hardie was excellent.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

pro Franco/royalist VAR strikes again

Lol VAR just got Modric a red what is happening

holy poo poo that goal from Kroos

BWV fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Aug 17, 2019

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Trippier off to a good start https://streamvi.com/watch.php?video=1566159910

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

BWV posted:

We were in Prince Edward County for a few days. Mostly hit up the wineries around Wellington. Domaine Darius and Traynord estates were my favourite and the lunch at Norman Hardie was excellent.

"hitting up the wineries"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
i plan to watch a bit of la liga this season but dont have too much to say at the moment

barcelona seems to have signed the best players this year. griezmann and de jong are both world class. although so is hazard and probably also atleticos kid. on the other hand its dumb how they lost alcacer

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

I both forgot he'd moved to atleti and assumed you were taking the piss

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I am able to watch this league now so will be following my best team Sevilla

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWMdkGHL3-E

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Badrid looking impotent and are trying to solve it by bringing in the fraud brazilian

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

seriously. they're flopping like crazy and just hoping for a penalty at this point

gently caress Valladolid is playing pretty great. hope they can get something besides the satisfaction of hearing Madrid's fans whistle their players in the second week of the season.

BWV fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Aug 24, 2019

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

we jinxed it cus Benz just buried a nice goal

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
that was really nicely done by Benz

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Yes it was a great goal by Benz and also a great equalizer

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I turn on Real Madrid/Real Valladolid and Valladolid score. You're welcome.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Madrid is basically Spanish ManU

and obviously Navas would've had that

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lmao badrid

and lmao that Valladolid have some dude named Waldo

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

Simone Poodoin posted:

lmao badrid

and lmao that Valladolid have some dude named Waldo

Really good dude. We're starting to call him Rowaldo.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Grease man scored a goal https://streamja.com/vbwz

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Why is Rakitic not playing? What the heck is Lolverde thinking?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

Why is Rakitic not playing? What the heck is Lolverde thinking?

Probably trying to get him to accept a transfer to Inter or PSG or whatever

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Great goal by a total loving Moron

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Great goal by a total loving Moron

Lol

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

just watched the second half and woah what a fun game. The Grease Man looks like a beautiful lion out for a majestic prowl. Getting these solo minutes with Suarez and Messi out will be huge down the road.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Sevilla - Celta has been fun so far

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The best headline Marca has run in recent years

https://www.marca.com/en/football/real-madrid/opinion/2019/08/31/5d6a46f946163f2e3b8b4622.html

it actually turns out to be a pro Lucas Vasquez article but I'd prefer to stop reading after the second paragraph:

quote:

Lucas is so bad that Zidane, who knows nothing about football, always puts him on the pitch. Lucas is so ridiculously bad that he's played 185 games for Real Madrid, I'm sure that most of them were comfortable. He's so, so bad that Vicente del Bosque and Julen Lopetegui had no option but to take him to Euro 2016 and the World Cup in Russia. These are signs that he's so bad. And then Santiago Solari came and played him. And then Zidane returned and played him more than anyone else.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Barca playing like rear end and getting run over already by Osasuna

e: 0 shots at the half. Messi, Suarez and Dembele all being out is rough but it shouldn't be this bad. Although Valverde picked another loser lineup so maybe he should take a hike

bringing in the 16 year old out of necessity and he scores because he's the loving man

BWV fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Aug 31, 2019

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Lol last week they let a moron score and this week a young faty scores for them

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Arthur is a loving baller

Also I'm enjoying Osasuna's manager just wearing a random graphic tee

e: loving Pique. he's great but he does such stupid things sometimes just swinging his arms about. As always, Barca without Messi are toothless and end up playing Real Madrid-esque cross heavy garbage ball

BWV fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 31, 2019

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Chicharito to Sevilla seems to be almost done

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Nice comeback by Atleti, will they gently caress it up in the end?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
lol get hosed real

edit: just had dinner

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
Bale'd

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Were both of Bale's yellow cards legit? It seems bizarre that someone would get booked twice in stoppage time. I haven't seen any highlights to be fair.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So after 3 years Real finally got rid of their unloved keeper.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
I tried telling Navas not to go to Madrid, but he wouldn't listen to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Malaga are so hosed financially that they've released okazaki after signing him on July 30th