Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Yeah, it's not a secret, ama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

pidan posted:

Yeah, it's not a secret, ama.

do you feel personal guilt for the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

First Rome no, second Rome a bit, third Rome yes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

meet me for 4th meal in 3rd Rome

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
It is ok to refer to ancient egyptian kings as pharaohs because words change meaning over time and that’s what we call all of them now

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're only pharaohs if they come from the pharaoh region of the Nile Delta, otherwise they're just sparkling monarchs

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Slavvy posted:

They're only pharaohs if they come from the pharaoh region of the Nile Delta, otherwise they're just sparkling monarchs

Not to get too PC on everyone but I think we're supposed to call them Kushite monarchs. :v:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

pidan posted:

Thanks, that's interesting! Now I wonder why it's written as Pharaoh in the first place - from what I remember, for names that come directly from ancient Egyptian inscriptions, people just fill in vowels as they please, that's why Nofretete is sometimes also called Nefertiti.

I was talking to a german friend of mine once and he mentioned a novel called “Donkey Shot” and when I said I had no idea what he was talking about he started semi-ranting about how piss poor the american education system is and how we have no clue about world literature etc etc. Once he started describing it though I realized he was talking about Don Quixote and germans just pronounce it like “donkey shot.”

Now that I typed that out it i realize that doesn’t really have anything to do with your post really but whatever

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Donkey shot my windmill??

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Drunkboxer posted:

I was talking to a german friend of mine once and he mentioned a novel called “Donkey Shot” and when I said I had no idea what he was talking about he started semi-ranting about how piss poor the american education system is and how we have no clue about world literature etc etc. Once he started describing it though I realized he was talking about Don Quixote and germans just pronounce it like “donkey shot.”

Now that I typed that out it i realize that doesn’t really have anything to do with your post really but whatever
They were right. If you were properly educated you would know that that is the proper pronunciation of the title, from the original Spanish used in the book.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

They were right. If you were properly educated you would know that that is the proper pronunciation of the title, from the original Spanish used in the book.

i had no idea old timey spanish sounded like hosed up french

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Drunkboxer posted:

i had no idea old timey spanish sounded like hosed up french

old timey Spanish and hosed up french are essentially the same language

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

h.. how else would you pronounce don quixote

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Dawn
Key
Hoe
Tee

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

key-ho-tay or key-oh-tay is how I've always heard it

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

pidan posted:

I usually pronounce it "Quixote"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

pidan posted:

Don key-ho-tay is how it would be said in modern Spanish, so Americans pronounce it that way.

I've always wondered how the word quixotic came to be pronounced so differently, and now I know.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

pidan posted:

Thanks, that's interesting! Now I wonder why it's written as Pharaoh in the first place - from what I remember, for names that come directly from ancient Egyptian inscriptions, people just fill in vowels as they please, that's why Nofretete is sometimes also called Nefertiti.
we don't get the word directly from ancient egyptian inscriptions though - we got it from the greeks who spelt it pharaō.

well, that's not entirely true. we got it from the romans and spelt it pharon for hundreds of years, then we went classics-mad during the renaissance and decided to 'correct' the spelling by realigning it with the greek.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

kwix-oaty

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

my favorite 50's instant breakfast

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Ghostlight posted:

we don't get the word directly from ancient egyptian inscriptions though - we got it from the greeks who spelt it pharaō.

well, that's not entirely true. we got it from the romans and spelt it pharon for hundreds of years, then we went classics-mad during the renaissance and decided to 'correct' the spelling by realigning it with the greek.

Ah, that makes sense!

Re: Quixote, from what I understand the X in Spanish is pronounced kind of like the ch in German "ich" or the X in Pinyin (e.g. the city Xi'an). That sound doesn't exist in English so people tend to hear it as sh like in sheet.

E: "ich" and "xi" aren't exactly the same sound but pretty close

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

when in doubt every letter in spanish is an h.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

pidan posted:

E: "ich" and "xi" aren't exactly the same sound but pretty close

Wait are they really? I don't speak any German but I thought "ich" had a similar ch as like the greek "chi," maybe a little along the line to the Hebrew "ch" sound, nothing like the Chinese 'x' which is "ɕ" in IPA, or pretty close to the "sh" in "English." Crazy. Do the Rammstein guys sound incredibly weird to other Germans?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

pidan posted:

Re: Quixote, from what I understand the X in Spanish is pronounced kind of like the ch in German "ich" or the X in Pinyin (e.g. the city Xi'an). That sound doesn't exist in English so people tend to hear it as sh like in sheet.
I wouldn't go so far to say it doesn't exist in English, but it's not a sound we represent with a single letter.

The old Spanish X used to have some overlap with modern J and that's usually where some confusion comes from, because Spaniards used it for transliterating Nahuatl placenames and that's largely where it survives today - like Mexico being pronounced without an 'eks' in the middle, because it's actually an old Spanish X pretending to be a J - because in the 1800s the Royal Spanish Academy was like "hey guys, let's just use the J" and unilaterally changed the spelling because they printed the dictionaries but the New World told them to gently caress off back to Spain.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I was taught "ich" was pronounced like "ish" in my high-school German, but years later learned that this is apparently a rare northern dialect and everyone thought I sounded like an idiot and it was more like "ick".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tulip posted:

Wait are they really? I don't speak any German but I thought "ich" had a similar ch as like the greek "chi," maybe a little along the line to the Hebrew "ch" sound, nothing like the Chinese 'x' which is "ɕ" in IPA, or pretty close to the "sh" in "English." Crazy. Do the Rammstein guys sound incredibly weird to other Germans?

The consonant in "ich" can be pronounced four different ways. Around Switzerland, some old folks pronounce the vowel differently, which is really weird. It's probably standard to teach English speakers "isch" because it's a lot easier to pronounce than "i[voiceless velar fricative]"

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I was taught to pronounce it 'ich'. I was taught by a german though.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Chamale posted:

The consonant in "ich" can be pronounced four different ways. Around Switzerland, some old folks pronounce the vowel differently, which is really weird. It's probably standard to teach English speakers "isch" because it's a lot easier to pronounce than "i[voiceless velar fricative]"

I was taught to pronounce it as ik, but instead of voicing the k you end up making a kind of static white noise by pressing the back of your tongue against your upper molars and blowing. Is that the same thing?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

what the gently caress lmao

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

yeah, voiceless means you're not making the sound with your voicebox, velar means you make it with the back of your tongue against the soft palate, and fricative indicates that the sound is made by air trying to get its way out of your throat through this ungodly contraption you've built in your mouth. i think the closest we have in english is 'k', which is plosive rather than fricative in that you do the mouth stuff all the same but the purpose is instead to block the airway so that the sound is created by air 'bursting' through when you lower your tongue.
scots speakers still retain a voiceless velar fricative sound at the end of "loch" and other similar words.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

According to Wikipedia the fricative in question exists in English at the start of the word "Tuesday" (if you remove the actual "t" sound). But that probably depends on your dialect.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wtf? ooo?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

If you pronounce it like tyoos, then somewhere in the y there's a part where the middle of your tongue will be near the roof of your mouth and you blow air over it. That's the X sound of Spanish / Pinyin, or close enough.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

people say t'yousday?
wild

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

people say t'yousday?
wild

I've heard older English people say it that way. same way they say tube

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
The liquid u is disgusting

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

stewie-griffin-rear end yu's

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

st'uee grifon is my khajit name

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Real hurthling! posted:

people say t'yousday?
wild

That’s how I pronounce it as an Australian

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sent me a case of vb, m8