Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I use 90% rubbing alcohol on a Brillo pad to remove every last drop of disgusting oil from my skin each night before tucking in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Antonymous posted:

I use 90% rubbing alcohol on a Brillo pad to remove every last drop of disgusting oil from my skin each night before tucking in

Can I turn you on to MEK? you get a nice white kind of frosted look that lets you know an area is dry before moving on.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Antonymous posted:

Bro do you even deoleanate? 50:50 acetone:ethyl acetate mix applied by a power washer is the only way to degrease after a long day.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Stop being weird as gently caress about your body imo

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
never

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I wash my body with water and soap :^)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Why would you wash your body that's just stripping away the natural protective coating of sweat and grime that makes you waterproof, like an otter or sloth

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Bathe at a normal rate and dont scour yourself in some vain and impossible attempt at purification,

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Endman posted:

I wash myself with a rag on a stick :^)

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Slavvy posted:

Why would you wash your body that's just stripping away the natural protective coating of sweat and grime that makes you waterproof, like an otter or sloth

I have a healthy coat of algae

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

I wash my body with water and soap :^)

ban this sick filth

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Riot Bimbo posted:

Stop being weird as gently caress about your body imo

That's what I think too but everybody else thinks I'm weird about my body.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Slavvy posted:

this is why strigillation is the only correct way, and the greeks are the most superior culture

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

100% chance they stole it from Egyptians Phoenicians and/or Scythians like the rest of their so-called culture

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
That's Persian erasure!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
weren't Scythians Persians

I get the swana ethnicities and empires mixed up all the time I need to study a map or something. looking one up on Wikipedia every 6 weeks and going "oh yeah" hasn't made it cross into long term memory

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

indigi posted:

I get the swana ethnicities and empires mixed up all the time I need to study a map or something. looking one up on Wikipedia every 6 weeks and going "oh yeah" hasn't made it cross into long term memory

no, the Scythians were settled north of the black sea in modern ukraine, russia, and romania. they were related to the Parthians, the people that moved south and displaced the Persians as the rulers of the former Persian empire.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

no, the Scythians were settled north of the black sea in modern ukraine, russia, and romania. they were related to the Parthians, the people that moved south and displaced the Persians as the rulers of the former Persian empire.
but all of them were iranian peoples, right?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

but all of them were iranian peoples, right?

yes but im fairly certain either one would punch you if you claimed they were the same in 500BC

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

WoodrowSkillson posted:

yes but im fairly certain either one would punch you if you claimed they were the same in 500BC
i imagine it's kinda similar to scandinavians going to england except more successful?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

A Buttery Pastry posted:

i imagine it's kinda similar to scandinavians going to england except more successful?

persians and scythians are of the same broad iranian ethnic group but had an entirely separate cultures. Different languages, gods, traditions, one is settles and one is nomadic, etc. The Parni were a smaller tribe similar to or directly related to the Scythians from somewhere around modern Turkmenistan/kazakstan. They took over a breakaway Seleucid kingdom in the place called Parthia, took its name, and then eventually dominated the rest of the former persian empire. They adopted most of the local persian/hellenic customs and such and are similar in that respect to the Yuan dynasty in China where the mongols won the war but essentially just assimilated into chinese culture.

So its kinda like if the Vikings were more permanent in their takeover, though the religious difference between Christianity and "paganism" was a significantly larger barrier at that time than when parthians were a'conquering . It really is wild how back then people just kind of assumed all the thousands of other gods were either the same as their by other names, or simply co existed. Its a pretty stark difference to the far more polarized world of the middle ages and beyond in Europe and the Mediterranean where Christianity, Islam, and paganism were almost entirely diametrically opposed and conquering people of the other religion meant either forced assimilation/genocide or very uneasy arrangements that flared up constantly.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

Scythians were as far as I recall just the name the Greek world gave to the multiethnic tribal confederations of mostly Indo-European speakers that roamed the pontic steppe around 500 BC. The persians were another group of related Indo-Europeans that were settled south east of this steppe. It's a bit like saying the cossacks of 1850s were St Petersburg Russians. They could definitely have a common language, share cultural aspects, serve the same rulers and have the same genetics. But at the same time have a very different way of life and social organization. And if you could ask them they would probably identify themselves much more with those other groups of seminomadic steppe people with whom they share their lifestyles and frequently intermarry with.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

riding all day on a saddle made of meat to tenderize it for dinner. trying hard not to fart.
#scythianlife

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

spending the afternoon hotboxing a whole yurt with some random greek #scythianlife

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Agean90 posted:

spending the afternoon hotboxing a whole yurt with some random greek #scythianlife

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Scythians also are one of the few documented ancient people to truly have female warriors that fought with the men. They also had dope tattoos that both men and women wore.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/tomb-containing-three-generations-amazon-warrior-women-unearthed-russia-180973877/

(not technically Scythian proper but all of the Steppe peoples shared a lot of culture and traditions and roamed back and forth from Greece to China.)
https://siberiantimes.com/culture/others/features/siberian-princess-reveals-her-2500-year-old-tattoos/

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Supposedly the amazons were based on the scythians, someone more knowledgeable than me probably knows the full scoop but the greeks had this legend of the
Amazonomachy - amazon battle, that they would sculpt and draw constantly. big battle scenes of female amazon warriors fighting greeks.
I like to think of the artists who just really liked drawing women on horses stepping on soldiers.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Supposedly the amazons were based on the scythians, someone more knowledgeable than me probably knows the full scoop but the greeks had this legend of the
Amazonomachy - amazon battle, that they would sculpt and draw constantly. big battle scenes of female amazon warriors fighting greeks.
I like to think of the artists who just really liked drawing women on horses stepping on soldiers.

According to Herodotus... the amazons were a race of warrior women that were beaten by the Scythians who then absorbed them and started following their tradition of letting women fight.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Royal Scythia had cool cataphracts

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Has there ever been a nomadic warrior society where women didn't know their way around a battlefield at least a lil bit?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

War and Pieces posted:

Has there ever been a nomadic warrior society where women didn't know their way around a battlefield at least a lil bit?

Frankly settled agrarian societies had women who knew their way around battlefields at least a little bit. Maybe not during the thick of fighting but looting and burying and such would often include women.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tulip posted:

Frankly settled agrarian societies had women who knew their way around battlefields at least a little bit. Maybe not during the thick of fighting but looting and burying and such would often include women.
not premodern but there were many peasant agrarian women in turkey who fought

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

After firearms is a whole different situation, they're the great equalizer as far as women are concerned. In a melee a woman will almost always lose against a man, at sniping they're statistically slightly superior iirc.

Yeah there's bows and stuff but you still need a lot of physical strength for those. Not sure where crossbows fit in here, I think depending on the model you still need to be strong to load them.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'd argue edged weapons and spears make your strength irrelevant compared to skill, tactics and equipment. That being said maybe endurance comes into effect when it comes to large bodies of men/women in a pitched battle.

Also didn't crossbows have windlasses so just about anyone could load just about anything

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I just remember I read this novel about the 100 years war and the one dude was a crossbowman and had this complaint about how all the dudes in his unit would become hunchbacks from how hard the loading mechanism was to operate.

It does make some sense because you'd need to put at least as much energy into loading it as the bolt will have going into the enemy. Of course there might be light crossbows for home defense or something that wouldn't take much strength to load.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

home defense crossbow

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I.e. small number of opponents, without armor, at a short distance.

Anyway this all ties back to the Scythians because maybe at the time riding a horse into battle was itself the wonder weapon that made strength differences irrelevant.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pidan posted:

I just remember I read this novel about the 100 years war and the one dude was a crossbowman and had this complaint about how all the dudes in his unit would become hunchbacks from how hard the loading mechanism was to operate.

It does make some sense because you'd need to put at least as much energy into loading it as the bolt will have going into the enemy. Of course there might be light crossbows for home defense or something that wouldn't take much strength to load.

You just do it with a crank. The magic of pulleys mean anyone can load anything if the builder could be bothered, it would be slower than just hucking it though

Weka
May 5, 2019

I think you're looking at it wrong. One man and one woman will more often beat one man. It's not a series of individual combats. Women could make a difference in combat even if for the sake of argument they were worse at it for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
i'm p sure that the average peasant woman back in the day could take most goons real easy given that she'd have a lifetime of hard labor behind her as opposed to one of lumbering to the kitchen in search of more doritos and mountain dew