Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i will be judging the latin itt harshly but i have stickers for anyone who deserves them. bonam fortunam!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah post the crazy guys latin hate mail you mentioned in the other thread, im down

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

twoday posted:

No I don't think they survived in any meaningful way, but they may have had colonies in unexpected places, so their cultural impact may have lived on in some ways. To explain it will take a while and I will post my ideas here eventually, I just want to post some other stuff first before I forget

i saw a bad pbs show once that took footage from a german crackpot's movie about incans being white dudes descended from Carthaginian refugees and recut it into a less insane rambling screed and more of a what if scenario. it was part of their series "secrets of the dead" and it was really stupid. incans had genes for red hair you see so naturally its cause of carthaginian blood.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uranium posted:

*vestimentum cursi romanum induens* quae, O Iuppiter, est res publica identitatis?

i like the use of the participle induens there in "putting on my roman clothing" though formal latin might want it to be ablative in an absolute, i understand the form of the meme you are going for

cursi however is the perfect passive participle of the word for run. nominative plural cant work there so we assume genitive singular and so its "of having hastened." perhaps you were going for quickly or its just a typo.

your question and vocative are well formed but the cases of the nouns are perplexing, you've written "what, oh jupiter, is the republic of identity" but i assume you wanted "identity of the republic (identitas rei publicae)"

i'll give you a B+ and thank you for not using google translate cause that fucker knows less latin than anybody and i hate correcting it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Uranium posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/802982411474636800
“vestimentum cursi” was intended to be “track suit”, I’ll have to learn more about constructions to properly tackle “full body Italian flag track suit.” “res publica identitatis” for “identity polatics [sic]”. thanks you for you comments.

the mysterious figure who runs @dril_ln uses “meherc(u)le” in the spirit of “the gently caress”, which is good to know, although it would be better to find a more faithful Latin curseword.

so track is cursus, cursus a 4th decl noun so -i is not a proper ending in that declension u want cursui

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the word barbarians, from greek barbaroi, is literally exactly the same kind of insult as if we called chinese people "ching chong" today.
the greeks felt that bar bar bar was what west asians sounded like

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Shibby0709 posted:

This is Mỹ Sơn in Central Vietnam not far from Da Nang. It is one of the best preserved sites of the old Champa civilization that predated the Vietnamese in the area. I visited it a few years back. It's a beautiful place. The Americans bombed it during the Vietnam War.

my large world heritage son

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

there were numerous canal projects linking the med and red seas dating back to the ptolemaic period that were in use through roman times and revived later by arabs

a greek ship could have gotten to mauritus but certainly not in 1600 as you say. eager to hear the dodo story.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hilario Baldness posted:

Recommended reading:

Michael Parenti: The Assassination of Julius Caesar: A People's History of Ancient Rome

Publisher's Weekly writes, "Parenti... narrates a provocative history of the late republic in Rome (100–33 B.C.) to demonstrate that Caesar's death was the culmination of growing class conflict, economic disparity and political corruption."

Kirkus Reviews wrote: "Populist historian Parenti... views ancient Rome’s most famous assassination not as a tyrannicide but as a sanguinary scene in the never-ending drama of class warfare."

Recommended viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwzwu1ORC_c

Michael Parenti on C-SPAN promoting The Assassination of Julius Caesar, 2003

yeah caesar is an amazing figure to study, especially in his own words.
translations dont really do justice to how bizarre his latin is, its not especially challenging but he shifts from really twisted and strange phrasings/word orders you dont see anywhere else when describing other people, places etc but snaps into the clearest and most concise textbook example sentences when talking about himself and his decisions. it creates this image of him being the only competent person on earth.
his words are hyper propaganda, bravado, and intellectual posturing as he sought to create and manage the narrative of his actions to society in a very savvy modern way that resonates in this age of trump 6 am toilet tweets.
only caesar was competent and also really preoccupied with appearing magnanimous when dealing with political enemies. he is always going on long tangents about how he is sparing everybody he defeats including the guys that killed him years later.

tldr: caesar was a larger than life populist figure attempting to speak directly to his supporter from the frontlines through a decade of war and extreme social crisis. he was genocidal, egomaniacal, and power hungry but drat if he didnt score many big owns on a bunch of other elites at least nominally on behalf of the people.

i want to go back and fill in so much class conflict context in this post from the 130s bce through the 40s but its late and i'm phone typing so i wont since its probably all in the links you give in you post anyway but talking about and reading caesar is a big part of my teaching so i get all into it and carried away.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KiteAuraan posted:

Were almost ceetainly limited, we have no good evidnce that they existed anywhere else and positing trans-oceanic voyages with such limited evidence is a bit dicey. They didn't even exist in the Hohokam or Chaco cultures, which had extensive contact with chili using Mesoamerican civilizations. Even accounting for issues of preservation, the distribution of known cultivars and artistic representations prior to the Spanish invasions suggests they went no further than the Carribbean prior for the late 1490s and for some reason, never into North America.

Direct contact between what is now the US Southwest and the Shaft Tomb/Purépecha cultures, and possibly the Maya and Teotihuacan as well is an interesting topic. It's not even argued against in non-quack circles anymore as the physical evidence is overwhelming. Copper bells chemically sourced to West México are found across the region, with major concentrations in Hohokam sites like Snaketown, AZ U:9:1 (ASM) and Gatlin, and at Chaco Regional System Great Houses, notably Pueblo Bonito. After CE 1250 they were heavily concentrated at Paquimé, the largest site and likely only city of the Casas Grandes culture of Chihuahua, Sonora and extreme Southwest New Mexico/Southeast Arizona.

There are also the macaws, include scarlet and military macaws, which were bred at Paquimé, but prior to CE 1250 were not bred in the region. Wupatki, a village and trading center near modern Flagstaff, Arizona, had a large amount, more than even Chaco Canyon as a whole. In lesser amounts you find mosaic pyrite mirrors, pseudo-cloisonné and very rare import ceramics. Also cacao at Chaco Canyon, and seemingly no where else, drank from vessels produced near modern Zuni, imported to Chaco Canyon and identical in form to Maya cacao cups.

Then there are the cultural imports, such as the ballcourts and ballgame practiced by the Hohokam, as well as Hohokam courtyard group and plaza site plans, and the Classic Period platform mounds (adopted from the pyramids and small platform shrines of Mesoamerica). Mesoamerican-style collonades are found at Chaco Canyon and Paquimé as well. And lots of shared iconography, including local Goggle-Eyed figures and Feathered and Horned Serpents. Hohokam people also make shell jewelry very similar to West Mexican examples. Even the adobe houses of the Classic Period Hohokam have some similarity to Mesoamerican examples. Ceramics may also have diffused north with beans, though not directly from Mesoamerica, and maize and squash did the same earlier.

Moving north to south, you see less going to Mesoamerica, but there is a known Middle Sacaton 1 Red-on-Buff jar (CE 1030-1080) from near La Quemada on the northern edge of Mesoamerica (which has a deified ancestor and mortuary practice of charnel rooms that slowly creeps north with some alterations and is found at Paquimé in a modified form about 300 years later) and there are rare, rare finds of New Mexico turquoise in Mesoamerican sites.

So clearly there was big, giant interaction sphere and cultural world that extended from what is now the area around the San Juan Mountains in Colorado on the north, all the way south to Yucatan, and from the Pacific Coast to the start of the Southern Plains. There has been tendencies in the past to put a driving emphasis on one culture or another, but it more seems to be interaction, not domination and sharing of ideas over a broad area.

speaking of macaws did you know the inca used to pluck them and rub their skin with frog toxins to stimulate the growth of unnaturally colored feathers? wild stuff

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Christoph posted:

Forgot:
syphilis --> Old World

they found a pre columbian european skeleton that exhibited signs of it or so i thought i read a few years ago but i dont know what the consensus was about if that was true or not

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the doors were only closed 3 times

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sullat posted:

Numa boasted that the doors of the temple were never opened once during his reign.

yeah numa is a boss he was like joseph smith recieving divine wisdom from a nymph no one else was allowed to meet and formalizing roman animism into a real religion

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

twoday posted:

One year, the day after valentine's day all of my friends were sending me these cheesy photos of them doing typical valentine's day stuff, having candlelit dinners and posing with flowers and such. Me and my girlfriend at the time had a pleasant low key date eating a nice meal but hadn't posed for any couple selfies. But this was the 15th, which is the date of Lupercalia, the Roman precursor to Valentine's day, so I thought it would be funny if we sent them a photo of us celebrating Lupercalia in response to all their valentine's day stuff, so we set up a table covered in candles and incense and posed for a photo of us cheerfully smiling as we rubbed milk on each other's faces with wool. I sent it to three couples, and I don't think a single one of them thought it was funny

did you run naked through the streets slapping womens hands with leather straps so they can become pregnant/give birth easily?
cause thats a big part of the festivities

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

caesar: lemme get swole fighting barbarians for most of a decade

pompey: lemme get swole fighting near eastern buffer states and align closely with the optimate senate oligarchy to become their champion

crassus: [drunk from sucking the life out of syria after pompey conquered it] imma speed run it guys! perseoplis or bust!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

publius "pretty boy" clodius pulcher is more of an ironic populares, than the sincere gracchi but he did more for the poor as a troll than either gracchi did and the story is a wild testament to the breakdown of the republic during the triumvirate.

a nobleman -a claudian - by birth, pulcher (which means "beautiful man") was embroiled in a sex scandal where he dressed as a woman to get into an all female religious service and attempt to gently caress caesars first wife, pompeia - but was caught by guards and also charged with loving his own sister
being a wealthy rear end in a top hat known to charm the pants off both women and men, and one of caesar's and the other triumvirs' friends he fought the charges and even had Caesar's help (caesar used the opportunity to divorce his wife claiming he couldnt be married to someone unless they were above suspicion of adultery...almost as if it was all a set up to get caesar out of the marriage faultlessly...)
anyway it was all going well until cicero's wife, terrentia got mad. she forced cicero to turn his powerful rhetoric against pulcher because she hated pulcher's sister and wanted to ruin pulcher to hurt his lover/sister. so cicero gets up and embarrasses pulcher, really savages him and only the complete bribery of the jury by crassus is enough to win him his freedom.
instead of slinking off to gently caress his sister in obscurity however, pretty boy had a plan.
he was going to ruin ciceros life.

so publius claudius pulcher, a nobleman, was no more. reborn as publius clodius pulcher [ :effort: ] after an illegal adoption by a plebeian family that was rubber stamped by caesar and crassus, our pretty boy was suddenly eligible to run for tribune of the plebs! pulcher knew he could pound sand as one vote in a senate that despised him, but as tribune, as agent of caesar's will with crassus' unlimited cash and the sacrosanct rights of office making him untouchable and able to strike down any law and make sweeping changes...he could do some loving damage.

the election was bought and paid for and romes lower classes found itself represented by a blue blooded sex freak bent on giving them everything they had wanted for the past 80 years (short of land redistribution) for the sole purpose of driving an old conservative gas bag crazy.

what does he do?
>grain subsidy becomes grain dole - free food!
> made it illegal to stop the meeting of plebeian political assemblies on the pretext that their were inauspicious religious omens that day (a tool that had been used to neuter what little power the assemblies had by making them unable to meet)
>strikes down limits on forming trade guilds which he supports and expands to become his own private army of street fighters, body guards, and goons to terrorize the agents of his senatorial adversaries.
>crafted a law specifically to exile cicero for ordering executions without evidence in the catilinarian affair
>required that cicero stay 400 miles away from rome
>order the destruction of all of ciceros properties within that cordon at the hands of his goons
> building a temple to the goddess of freedom on the site of ciceros townhouse so that he couldnt ever get it back even if pulcher were ever killed

it went great until pompey got cold feet. the senate was livid. caesar and crassus' support of pulcher was a bad look for the triumvirate. pulcher was becoming too powerful and going to far. pulchers term of office ended and the triumvirs turned their support towards a less radical agent that didnt hate ciceros guts. pulcher proved pompey right by harassing and sending goons to kill pompey, unsuccessfully.

upon hearing that cicero was allowed to return pulcher personally went to assault workers rebuilding one of his homes. he was confronted by cicero and attacked the old bitch, knocking him out of the way and burning down the worksite himself before retiring.

he was later killed on the road while traveling with a smaller than usual retinue of guards by the very man who replaced him in the tribuneship, an agent of cicero's named milo

anyway its pretty hosed up that social change in rome in the late republic was only possible via an upperclass grudge gone out of control.

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 03:20 on Aug 20, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oh and cicero defended milo in court for the murder but its said pulcher's mob was heckling him so hard that nobody could hear the defense and milo got exiled.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

cargo cult posted:

I will sodomize you and face gently caress you--
Aurelius, you cocksucker; Furius, you little bitch--
since you think that my little poems
have gone soft and I must not be too upright!
It’s true; the devoted poet should stand erect
in his values, but not necessarily in his little
poems, which are truly witty and charming
when they're a little soft, and not too stiff,
but can still cause a little tingling--
I don't just mean for youth, but for hairy men
who can't make their own loins stand upright!
You! You read about my "many kisses"
and doubt I'm fully a man?
I will sodomize you and face gently caress you.

the old no. 16

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

an entire society that worshiped charles, round mound of rebound, barkely and knows the truth that he was from mississippi and no alabama like the cia wants you to believe

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

I love historical theories that arise because some moron finds a passage in an old document and it doesn't occur to them that the original author doesn't actually know what the gently caress they're talking about. This just in: Ethiopian communists are to blame for erasing all direct evidence that the Blemmyes did in fact have no heads.

i would live in herodotus world.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

catullus is a very interesting poetic persona imo. its hard to know if he was sincerely saying sone of the things he said as himself or in character in what hes writing cause its some of the most naive, bratty stuff youre ever going to come across but as you keep reading the sophistication builds and culminates from short tedious begging for kisses to soaring epic odes about mythilogical lovers.

big props tho for having your first girlfriend (aka lesbia) be the wife of the provincial governor. big dick energy there. after rejection and roiling through the stages of grief he starts dating men, whom he finds equally unwilling to commit to him. its all very embarrassing and leads to intense meltdowns like the quoted infamous carmen #16

stepping back from the carmina its possible to see catullus as the vanguard of an era of loosening sexual mores ("let us live and love while young and ignore the opinions of the older generation" to paraphrase) during the late republic. of course the pendulum swings both ways and augustus' appeal to romes glorious past required a reactionary attitude towards women and sexuality in general but catullus' short life was long over by then.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

regarding the executed last king of alba longa and dumb name haver, mettius fufetius; a poem i once discovered

Mettius Fufetius didn’t have a clue.
Mettius Fufetius couldn’t follow through.
They started out with one of him
And ended up with two
And neither one of him knows what the other’s gonna do.

Mettius Fufetius had a fickle will.
Mettius Fufetius ran up on the hill.
Mettius Fufetius was torn apart and killed
By some horses and some chariots, and all his guts were spilled.

So if you ever find yourself the king of Alba Longa,
Here’s a little tip the gig from going wrong:
It’s dangerous, derangerous — oh what could be so silly as
To fail to match the mettle of one King Tullus Hostilius?

Mettius Fufetius died in awful pain.
Mettius Fufetius was strewn across the plain.
His head is bound for Sicily. His bottom is in Spain.
Now don’t you think the punishment was rather inhumane?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Al! posted:

what a mysterious and stupid people

caesars gallic war book 6 is given over to an ethnography of the gauls and the druid class. its good stuff on human sacrifice, their politics, etc.

he tells us that, like socrates, the druids felt writing things down would weaken the mind of students so to become a druid one had to memorize their entire corpus of ritual poetry by heart, much of it dealing with precise descriptions of celestial motions. this education took 20 years.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the romans built a mechanical computer out of a cam shaft and used it to make penny arcade attractions
the Mesopotamians invented voltaic batteries and used them to scare people that touched religious artifacts

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all the enlightenment takes on the state of nature are ripped wholesale out of lucretius without attribution and then altered to suit the authors goals

lucretius owns by the by. need to effort post soon on his DRN but suffice to say ancient quantum physics and theories of evolution own

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

sparta practiced "marriage by capture" which is fancy talk for ritualized rape.
they also enslaved felllow greeks (as if it matters who they enslaved morally, but their contemporaries saw it as especially monstrous) and treated them to the most inhumane conditions possible.
yet somehow, they still the good guys vs democratic athens and their imperial delian league protection racket

kinda like how china has a million muslims in concentration camps but it would be a big bonus for life on earth if they decapitated america, head of nato.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Victory Position posted:

venturing a wild guess that the Battle of Thermopylae was to collect on debts

best part about global warming is soon the sea will be as high as it was at the battle and we can better appreciate how narrow the path was for a few years until its under water.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the worst

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KiteAuraan posted:

gently caress Rome, Samnites forever! Pompeii is Samnite, Romanae Eunt Dominae!

you've written "roman female slave owners go" as a statement, not a command

i give you full credit for surpassing the monty python sketch in creativity. optime benefactum!

tell the others that you wrote the imperative/locative construction "Romani ite domum"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

wiki the phrase "social wars"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

rome was simultaneously plowing over carthage as it was accepting control over the last greek states. their maniple tactics were specifically designed to defeat a citizen soldier phallanx and they could drop a legion on every threat.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

then the marian reforms multiplied their manpower thousands of times over

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the penises wiggle and dance in a conga line of lewd pavement carvings headed from points of congregation toward the main brothel in town.

scientists today worry about the symbology we use to alert future people of danger and talk about how some cultures might read an arrow wrong. shoulda used a dick, idiots.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Overall the reason Rome is so fun to learn about is there is just so much humanizing information about them because we just luckily have it. Certainly it was no different in other ancient cultures as well, but we just do not have the same depth of information for many of them. The vindolanda tablets alone are goddamn amazing in the window they give to what amounts to everyday life.

http://vindolanda.csad.ox.ac.uk/4DL...isplayEnglish=1

This one from a Roman mother to her son stationed all the way in Scotland is my favorite. It's a mom sending her faraway son socks and underwear so he does not get cold and you can tell he writes often because she knows the names of his messmates.

the birthday invitation from that trove is great too

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 05:19 on Aug 27, 2019

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Augustus' handling of the senate in the principate is pretty easy to learn about but the senate post 476ce is gonna be troublesome

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

omfin owns

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

ww1 was about 5 or so kings who were all related making a number of strange and stubborn decisions with the lives of their common people until america showed up and enforced the worst possible peace

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mastershakeman posted:

What is the etymology behind the Roma people group vs Rome and all that

i think it has something to do with their passage into europe via romania but idk for sure

Flavius Aetass posted:

How does everyone feel about the term "Dark Ages" and the associated connotations?

its bad imo, coined by the same people going around talking about "the light of civilization" and "barbarian hordes"
the average european sees a generations long evolution to a new economic system but no cataclysm. people that believe in a dark age are mainly bemoaning the loss of a small cadre of plantation owners with the parasitic leisure to write poetry and treatises
late antiquity was a vibrant time ignored by academics until like the 1980s

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I thought about asking this in the Roman, Ancient History thread, but I'm only 18 pages into that one.

What exactly determines the transition between BCE and CE? I know that they're "Before Common Era" and "Common Era," respectfully (I guess?). But why?

those names are modern academic parlance for ad and bc which was the cusp of what the council of nicea in the 300s ad decided was jesus' birth year.

the era system is just to strip the religion out

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

albania shares a indo european root with alps to mean mountainous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Whorelord posted:

Is this the same as the Gaelic word for Scotland, Alba?

idk. check wiktionary