Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Tulip posted:

Didn't upper class women's hairstyles require somebody to pee on you?

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

*borat voice* worthy of it

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

indigi posted:

I keep thinking about mouth coins and god drat what a miserable era. was that only a Mediterranean thing or did sub-Saharan African and Indian and Chinese people do that as well

mouth coins were a big thing in the world of Gor if I recall

Real hurthling! posted:

wearable money as either a necklace of coins with holes in them or currency as a wire of precious metals that could be cut to pay for things were found in china/mesopotamia respectively.

another popular choice was to just chop up a precious metal object and pay with the bits and pieces

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

Does anyone but the argument that Byzantine had vestigial organs of a Republic?

the patriarch of Constantinople acted as the representative of the people and not the head of the church when they crowned the emperors

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

CoolCab posted:

still a proud tradition, jacking

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Vagabong posted:

The most famous one I can remember is Henry VIII's fourth marriage, which he agreed to based upon marrying anne of cleves based on her portrait only to dump her sharpish once he met her in person.

iirc, he paid her a huge pension and gave her a bunch of properties in exchange for not contesting the annulment. Henry also moved her up to the top spots in the order of precedent rankings in out of gratitude for her just taking the money and walking away.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

War and Pieces posted:

Keeping the tax rates of the jizya in place after successfully Reconquisting a region of Al Andulus is a real King Chad move.

In Britain, the mechanisms put in place to raise enough silver to pay danegeld was immediately converted into regular taxation once the danes took their money and departed

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Her last point really sealed the deal for me. whenever you get people talking about things like a potential EU capital, there's always some Italian/Romance-language speaker suggesting Rome, as if it not being the capital of Europe is an offense against God.

drat right!

Only other options are Paris or Aachen. Anything else would be obscene.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

big scandal in England about the government supporting PIE people in the 1970s and 80s but that is too recent to go into much detail here

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

home defense crossbow

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Antonymous posted:

maybe its u refusing to see the obvious truth lol

some sort of biological truth?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Pfft how can a horse be descended from a catapult

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

https://twitter.com/MoodyKnowsNada/status/1338890623311601664

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Some Guy TT posted:

oh that reminds me i saw in an old nato propaganda video that the portuguese actually had a working route to the americas only a few years after colombus had a route that kind of sucked

anyone know anything about any of that of why the portuguese were such hot poo poo in the sixteenth century with their boats the video kind of made it sound like it colombus hadnt found america the portuguese were just about to

people knew that columbus was underestimating the size of the earth and that he would run out of food before hitting "India" by sailing west. guy kept on making a nuisance of himself so he was paid and told to go ahead and find it if he thought the could, with the expectation that he was just going to die but who knows, he might be right?

he wasn't right but being wrong didn't kill him, just a lot of other people

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gooning in the marketplace

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

really concerned about someone who may or may not have existed and who died 2000 years ago and left nothing by their own hand

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Azathoth posted:

technically the inscription says the pharaoh utterly annihilated them and their people, leaving the land barren and empty, or something equally dire

tell me that the pharaoh was drawn as being enormous and crushing his tiny enemies

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

macedonians are the true greeks. greeks today are just bulgarians and serbs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

really doubt that the picture was taken in 500 bc