Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Beer and other alcohol is basically as old as if not older than agriculture. Alcohol was essential before refrigeration and modern decontamination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fN5109BfLs

You can pretty much tell Ancient people either drank beer, milk, or 'tea' (boiled water with plant flavor).

Like east asians have a higher rate of alcohol and lactose intolerance because boiled water w/ plant flavor was their potable water source for 10,000 years ( I say based on no research and just arrogantly thinking I must have figured it out)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

etymology is only really interesting in a mutt language like English, no? even then it kinda is pointless like

like english, why is photograph called that, well you see the french invented it and they called it that (fotographia)
okay why did the french call it that ,well you see in greek photo means light and graph means a written record so blah blah
ok why is it φωτογραφία (fotographia) in greek, well you see the french called it that so greeks just did too b/c why not, it's good enough for English so
hmmmm okay so why is photo called photo in greek. why graph. THERE IS NO REASOn??? they just MADE THAT poo poo UP?

bonus round - In chinese it's 相片 (xiangpian) or 照片(zhaopian)... okay 片 is a sheet or slice of something, that's easy to see
照 is a sun, a sword, and a mouth all over fire which of course means something reflective/shiny. so instead of light record, it's a shiny slice.
does knowing any of this mean anything... no. will I take a better photo or understand photos better, no. Will I understand ancient people's lived experience. No. It's a curiosity and fun time waster.

Chinese calls movies 'electric shadows' and that rules tho. Actually chinese (or japanese) avoiding greek root meanings and doing its own thing is way more interesting. Telephone - electric word, Computer - electric brain. Cell phone - hand machine. etc etc now that's interesting

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

etymology is the modern version of numerology of language (like hebrew and greek) where you try to draw out some more significance to words than their speaker intended, giving words power beyond immediate communication between individuals

and I'm against it

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its not very materialist to think you can just go 'hey, ~capitalism~' or 'hey ~steam engine~' and think it'll do poo poo. lots of stuff including steam power was discovered several times before it was the right time for the idea to take hold

if you really want to gently caress up the ancient world give them an accurate world map and an understanding of germ warefare

edit: meaning 'here is where the gold is, here is where fertile land is' not just outlines of continents

edit2: gently caress, beaten

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Xaris posted:

Richard Wolff has some good episodes on his podcast (Economic Update) about it, and Marx also wrote a lot. Capitalism kind of as know it has existed for awhile just in slightly different forms, much of it still being landed-gentry/having absurd wealth-begets-more wealth/power-begets-power in Feudalism, Monarchys, etc in that the people are most often exploited for their labor and the elite siphon off it like bloated parasites. The slaver/master | serf/lord | labor/boss relationship really is pretty much almost the same. Globalized capitalism is more strictly an industrial revolution thing yeah.

hmmm I would say capitalism needs much more than what you have in slave or feudal society. If you want to know the key things that Marx uses

- Private property (this is not land tied to a noble family but property that can be bought and sold as well as rented)
- Free Individuals (not tied to land or master alla serf and slave)
- Mass production of goods for sale (this is the most important one).

In feudalism peasants did most of their work for their own families building their home, crafting clothing and furniture, etc, food was grown to be kept by the family that grew it, with some being given to the lord, or some time spent working the lord's land. There was of course trade and some markets but no general market that could drive an equilibrium of input/output, that's important. And in many places there were commons and cooperative labor.

The important change with capitalism is that anything can be owned, and there's no basic material existence for laborers, so they become proletariat - landless free men. The commons being the first experiment in the expansion of property rights is important because it denies an otherwise free means of subsistence from common people. Privatizing land and charging rent as well. This means you must work for someone which is very different from you must work for your lord, as it creates a market for labor. And that means you make things for someone to sell, not for personal use.

The marketization is totalitarian and you get a capitalist economy. The most important reason is that it requires growth. People work more hours, more land is made private, more productivity is required. Because now private property, land and later machinery and ideas, is put up against other property and it has to make returns. Nothing can sit idle even if it's logical to do so. That's a big change from previous organizations of society.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Feudal society can sit stagnant for 1000 years and it's stable, with climate and disease probably being the biggest instabilities and they're exogenous. Capitalism has to grow and change, and it seeks turning more things into markets, mass produced goods, it cannot sit still.

And I think Marx gets represented as saying private property is theft, the workers never get a fair wage, etc

But at least in Capital it's pretty clear he's not making a moral case like this, workers cannot get a fair wage, it's impossible under capitalism. And that's the point of revolution anyway, even an ideal capitalism is unstable and unequal, because stability and equality means it's about to collapse and gently caress everyone over, and of course the instability leads to periodic collapse anyway.

The big idea Marx thinks capitalism does build is monopolies, because periodic collapse is best remedied by consolidation, something I don't think any other kind of economic theory has as such an obvious and unavoidable consequence, and you don't see constant movement toward monopoly in pervious forms of economic systems used by humans.

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

yah this is good stuff. Capitalism is a specific economic form and behavior which has been around in bits and pieces through history being made general and whole in our era, as older forms fade away.

My understanding, though, is that in history if I had a hammer I didn't have an impetus to compare how many nails it hammered per day to other hammers, but competition in a market does give me that impetus. So while technically capital is just labor done in the past which can be used in a process now, the impetus to use it seeking more of itself makes it capital in the modern sense.

Meaning its not just money that drives capitalism, but all capital land and factory and so on, must be seeking returns and growth at the best rate it can or else be a huge loss, there is no 'sitting still'.

edit: and the distinction is important because a machine can lose value when a newer model comes to market which is another drive toward rapid growth, if it was just money as capital well money cannot lose value relative to itself if you wait too long (yah yah interest rate whateveR).

edit: oh poo poo I thought this was the econ thread oops

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Sep 27, 2020

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Nebakenezzer posted:

Don't tell the ancient kingdoms (like China) that used monopolies in certain sorts of production (salt being the big one) as a method of taxation.

Yeah interesting point. I guess I should read again what is so specific about monopolies in a Marxist description of capitalism but they are at least not legally enforced by the state under threat of violence againts a more stable alternative (except in the sense that all private property falls under that description). They sorta emerge as a stable lowest-energy-state of private property logic in response to falling profit rate, but not out of feudal or slave relations. Slave plantations didn't need to consolidate into mega farms they way modern agriculture is doing.

or maybe I'm talking out of my rear end

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

babypolis posted:

i dunno poo poo about art history but the style seems super realistic for the time period, no?

the thing about the renaissance inventing perspective and realistic lighting is not really true, isometric perspective was figured out all over and also here's a painting from Pompeii

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

these guys that protect temples across japan & sometimes in other temples in asia are Hercules

also the name of the game Nioh, 仁王, that's also this guy so I guess also hercules, the greek demigod

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

one more why not

here's 32,000+ years ago

those heads are life size

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

the philosophers that western liberal democracies like are all pretty lame & wrong

every little poli sci undergrad student is aghast when Machiavelli says good leaders lie, cheat, murder and steal. "this guy sucks, what he says makes me feel bad about governments but I want to believe they are both good and necessary for the good" lol

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

CoolCab posted:

“peking” and “bejing” are both transliterations of the same word, separated by a what few hundred years of linguistic drift. we don’t know that eeeee will be pronounced like we do a hundred years from now, I think that’s the justification?

similarly “ye olde” is a modern misunderstanding, it’s a bad transliteration of a letter we no longer use. it was always intended to read like “the old”

this reminds me that the roman alphabet is a better alphabet for Chinese than English lol

edit: if you didn't know, mainland china uses the roman alphabet as their alphabet and it rules. English uses it and you get poo poo like 'through' and 'threw' lmao

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Shī Shì shí shī shǐ

Shíshì shīshì Shī Shì, shì shī, shì shí shí shī.
Shì shíshí shì shì shì shī.
Shí shí, shì shí shī shì shì.
Shì shí, shì Shī Shì shì shì.
Shì shì shì shí shī, shì shǐ shì, shǐ shì shí shī shìshì.
Shì shí shì shí shī shī, shì shíshì.
Shíshì shī, Shì shǐ shì shì shíshì.
Shíshì shì, Shì shǐ shì shí shì shí shī.
Shí shí, shǐ shí shì shí shī shī, shí shí shí shī shī.
Shì shì shì shì.

So what, check this out:

Marx marks Mark's marks, Marcus's markers mark us.

edit:
Dice's sty dyes Di's Dyce dice, Di dies.
Dice is a guy's nickname, he owns some pigs stys in Dyce where they dye princess Di's dice for her craps table, but she dies

Antonymous has issued a correction as of 05:47 on Jun 28, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

vyelkin posted:

i love this line because it always assumes we just shouldn't take into account the views of the people being murdered

like "oh we shouldn't judge past slaveowners for slavery, nobody knew slavery was wrong" bitch im pretty sure the enslaved people knew it was wrong the whole time

reminds me of hearing a line about american slavery like "in return the slavemasters provided food and shelter"

except no slave master built a shack, cooked a meal or made clothing, the slaves did for themselves that too.

anyway workers built the factories and someday should take them back imo

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I once had a youth pastor ask if I thought jesus was real and I was like idk

and he said "do you think george washington was real? why? cause you read about him in a book? I have another book you could read, a good book some say"

and I said "yeah I read about Muhammed in my history class book too"

and then I skateboarded away

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I went to the lourve once and walking by the millenia of masterpieces I was like "drat could we please cover another topic besides the life and death of Jesus??"

much like this thread

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Was antonymous a real poster? what evidence do we have now, 5 minute after his last post, besides the stories of those who posted contemporaneously with him

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

zegermans posted:

still more logical than mormonism

this is probably one step past islam, but thirty steps before mormonism on the christian heresy measure

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh

the gnostic christian idea that the old testament god was an incomplete bastard snake-lion who was just blundering his way through divinity and lording over the imperfect material realm he created

and jesus was sent by the real universal love creator god who created heaven, sent to save us, us the mud people made by the hosed up bastard god as his play things

save us from the bastard snake lion in its misguided attempt to hide its flaws by being a petty, wrathful vengeful divine being like a child who got snubbed for xmas, wanted a PS5 and got some notebooks and socks, and so took it out by torturing the cat in secret

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

things like that are why I'm not worried

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

it's only natural to over extend and go extinct

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

There are a lot of things whose form seems to hang on way too long, like chess or the orchestra or formal attire...

Like there's nothing less tribal about a black silk tie than a Kente Cloth. If anything the tie is more frilly and decorative, more "exotic". Orchestra was where musicians tested out new music but now it's all classic german stuff. Shakespeare pays the bills at a lot of theaters. Chess had house rules that became whole new games but now it's codified sorta. In China they have their own forms but people get married wearing white and learn violin and piano as the gold standard of musical instruments...

It's like time stopped right when aristocracy was replaced in Europe and that's all we get worldwide as the high class stuff and it's sort of an untouchable relic much like how a pharoh might wear the same hat as a predecessor millenia earlier, while that predecesor picked it because it looked nice

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

sometimes I'm like "ancient and foreign people were completely alien, no common conception of race gender class or identity, of the world or of meaning."

sometimes I'm like "drat poo poo don't change huh"

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

73 weeks of 5 days, no months

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

13 months of 4 weeks of 7 days, new years day is not in a week or month, and leap years give 2 new years days

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

tbh the sun and moon are dumb and we should go back to counting years from a new ruler taking power and just not having months in winter b/c who needs months in winter anyway?

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

people made accurate maps if that was the thing they wanted to think about

and big 'subway lines' style maps if you just wanted to know how to get from place to place

both maps describe mostly the same places, both from around 100ad

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I think it's shown in the picture as a belt thingy.

this guy was alive when they had pictures? or are you open to the idea it's a cover up

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

excuse me what

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

roman gods kinda sound like chinese gods

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

I also understand that romans in egypt were like 'hey your gods are way older so we double respect them, we're not going to gently caress with them one bit'

and that any territory of rome was allowed to do whatever as long as they also paid respect to Jupiter and later jesus and later than that, muhammad

but I'm no scholar

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

stonehenge is a gaol for her soul and they're warming it up

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Slavvy posted:

Literally how anor londo works even, incredible!

you mean new londo ruins

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

why'd they give him that earring. was he found with it. or just to lock my brain into seeing a man whose career is to unload guitar cases from a coach tour bus for a band who's last hit was in 1987

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

its funny to think that all the megafauna outside africa and south asia got knocked off by hungry hungry homosapiens... this tortoise was just our final course

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

woah

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Mola Yam posted:

the boring answer is that i have to tweak it and add a lot more descriptive text to capture the spirit of the thread title. one of the actual prompts i used:

"realistic photo of a wrestler dressed as Horus, ancient Egyptian falcon god of the sun, wearing awesome sunglasses and making a dramatic entrance to the wrestling ring, with a dramatic sunburst behind him"

and then there was another one but with "riding a cool motorcycle" instead of the sunglasses

"a detailed 16th century oil painting in the style of Raphael of Jesus Christ appearing in a Native American settlement with tipis in the background, but Jesus accidentally dressed up as an Asian Indian by darkening his skin and putting a bindi on his forehead, to the disgust of the Native Americans"

I want to option the TV miniseries rights

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

The Mongols also used grenades and pike formations when they invaded Japan, woulda made Ghosts of Tsushima a lot more interesting imo

why do people say it was the mongols when it was the Yuan dynasty and the generals were multi ethnic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

okay yeah I'm reading the wikipedia