Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I'm putting my money on a Grand Master of the Knights Templar, the French hated those guys and probably stuck one of them in a lead coffin to stop his soul from going to heaven or whatever.

Which means... his soul is still in there :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

The “more accurate” maps are important for shipping, and the establishment of empire and national boundaries.

Things that suck and are bad, so I prefer the maps that make it easier to go on pilgrimage.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

the romans accepted amun as juppiter calling the god hammon.

And the British made him the god of high blood pressure and meat sweats, Gammon

Endman
May 18, 2010

Snails eat the lettuces in the priory garden, much to the woes of the monks who take their petty revenge through doodles

Endman
May 18, 2010

The no true Macedon fallacy

Endman
May 18, 2010

You have to imagine that everyone was just crawling with lice back then, so I hope the comb was as useful as its inscription hoped it was.

Endman
May 18, 2010

you know it smells crazy in there

Endman
May 18, 2010

Conspiracy theories are cool, but this one seems dumb as hell. Dude made up an ancient civilisation in his own head that only he really knows about to feel special. Smacks of the ancient aryan super race the Nazis imagined they were a part of.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Debunking videos and podcasts are almost always aimed at people who already know it's bullshit. It's all a bit of a self-congratulatory wank if you ask me

Endman
May 18, 2010

Throwing my Latin textbooks in the loving TRASH

Endman
May 18, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

How do you get lead bullets? Like, is lead mined from lead ore, and then smelted into lead, then forged/shaped into lead bullets?

Yes.

gradenko_2000 posted:

What would lead bullets look like?

Round.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Make sure to breathe deeply when you're working in the smeltery

Endman
May 18, 2010

That’s some pretty concrete evidence :imunfunny:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Hanging Gardens of where? gently caress that I’m off to the concrete colosseum to see a man fight an elephant

Endman
May 18, 2010

Rome was such a crime infested shithole they moved the government to mediolanum

Endman
May 18, 2010

indigi posted:

they're so fuckin close together

haha I’d never put my hand on your thigh at the ancient Roman toilet

…unless?

Endman
May 18, 2010

Azathoth posted:

Hate to break it to you but that's been something lots of people have been seriously into for decades. Look at how many copies Chariots of the Gods? sold. The show was just it going mainstream.

someone gave me a copy of that and I never read it but now I want to see how crazy it is and I regret giving it away lmao

Endman
May 18, 2010

kooks could at least have the decency to be entertaining smdh

Endman
May 18, 2010

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

in one of his later books von daniken wonders whether black people were a "failed experiment" by the aliens before they created white people. his aliens are blonde and blue eyed of course: https://www.jasoncolavito.com/blog/the-astonishing-racial-claims-of-erich-von-daniken

this is like posadism for ultra racists and I hate it

Endman
May 18, 2010

Its just Nazis all the way down :psyduck:

Endman
May 18, 2010

Jared Diamond has a bad case of "dude who isn't an historian thinking he's cracked the secrets of all human history" but a lot of his points are good, re: disease

Endman
May 18, 2010

the gently caress is a pie person? lmao

Endman
May 18, 2010

Deep in the Lancashire swamp lies the last community of ancient pie-people, the Wigans

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_oIys5KS4A

Endman
May 18, 2010

what the gently caress lmao

Endman
May 18, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

people say t'yousday?
wild

That’s how I pronounce it as an Australian

Endman
May 18, 2010

It's far past time for Americans to stop speaking English and invent their own language

Endman
May 18, 2010

I wash my body with water and soap :^)

Endman
May 18, 2010

Royal Scythia had cool cataphracts

Endman
May 18, 2010

I always keep a bunch of tactical bananas on my person for just such an eventuality

Endman
May 18, 2010

Greeks are huge dickheads about everyone who isn’t Greek and it’s good historiography to assume they’re talking poo poo

Endman
May 18, 2010

the smug loving energy radiating out of this is infuriating

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is quite simply too much poo poo to put on a shield

Endman
May 18, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

it belongs in a museum

Endman
May 18, 2010

I'd be more surprised if the Library of Alexandria hadn't burned down, storing all those papyrus scrolls in a world without fire extinguishers.

Endman
May 18, 2010

It’s probably not quite right to call the equids that pulled the earliest chariots ‘horses’ as they probably had more in common with the zebra or onager than today’s horses.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Slavvy posted:

Pfft how can a horse be descended from a catapult

Slavvy posted:

With enough time and breeding you can make anything into anything

Endman
May 18, 2010

Slavery absolutely has applications in pre-coinage agrarian societies

Endman
May 18, 2010

I think the problem isn't agriculture in general, but specific kinds like cereals versus animal husbandry.

In Southern England, cereal cultivation was done cooperatively by villages where the parish would give out allotments of common land to each family in the village, and they would work together on cultivating the commons as a whole. Unfortunately, the Barons who "technically" held ownership over the land (I say technically because you can make the argument they stole it depending on how seriously you take William the Conqueror's promise to uphold the customary rights of the people to that land) figured out that raising sheep was far less labour intensive and their wool was much more profitable than taxing cereal-growing peasants, so they enclosed the commons and told the peasants to gently caress off and starve.

Growing grain is communitarian, raising livestock is capitalist.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Certain ants practice animal husbandry, milking aphids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endman
May 18, 2010

indigi posted:

syphilitic maniac

don’t sign your posts