Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Communist Thoughts posted:

that debt book seems pretty good, anyone got any other good history deep dive books?
This is a classic

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Cheese_and_the_Worms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fermun posted:

https://twitter.com/sonofaelfred/status/1532128294715498496
not sure if this is actually pre-modern history, as i'm pretty sure i've seen this guy at metal shows

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

A Buttery Pastry posted:

hosed up that anyone would hate people from the Solid Waste Association of North America.

any experiences with the application process? I think I may have a load of stuff to offer to the organization.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Socrates: right or wrong?

quote:

Socrates on the Forgetfulness that Comes with Writing

Socrates (469-399 BCE) was a Greek Philosopher who thought and taught through argumentative dialogue, or dialectic. Socrates did not write down any of his thoughts, however his dialogues were recorded by his student and protégé, the philosopher Plato (428 – 347 BCE). Here Socrates discusses the deficiencies of writing.

SOCRATES: … Among the ancient gods of Naucratis in Egypt there was one to whom the bird called the ibis is sacred. The name of that divinity was Theuth, and it was he who first discovered number and calculation, geometry and astronomy, as well as the games of checkers and dice, and, above all else, writing.

Now the king of all Egypt at that time was Thamus, who lived in the great city in the upper region that the Greeks call Egyptian Thebes … . Theuth came to exhibit his arts to him and urged him to disseminate them to all the Egyptians. Thamus asked him about the usefulness of each art, and while Theuth was explaining it, Thamus praised him for whatever he thought was right in his explanations and criticized him for whatever he thought was wrong.

The story goes that Thamus said much to Theuth, both for and against each art, which it would take too long to repeat. But when they came to writing, Theuth said: “O King, here is something that, once learned, will make the Egyptians wiser and will improve their memory; I have discovered a potion for memory and for wisdom.” Thamus, however, replied: “O most expert Theuth, one man can give birth to the elements of an art, but only another can judge how they can benefit or harm those who will use them. And now, since you are the father of writing, your affection for it has made you describe its effects as the opposite of what they really are. In fact, it will introduce forgetfulness into the soul of those who learn it: they will not practice using their memory because they will put their trust in writing, which is external and depends on signs that belong to others, instead of trying to remember from the inside, completely on their own. You have not discovered a potion for remembering, but for reminding; you provide your students with the appearance of wisdom, not with its reality. Your invention will enable them to hear many things without being properly taught, and they will imagine that they have come to know much while for the most part they will know nothing. And they will be difficult to get along with, since they will merely appear to be wise instead of really being so.”

PHAEDRUS: Socrates, you’re very good at making up stories from Egypt or wherever else you want!

SOCRATES: But, my friend, the priests of the temple of Zeus at Dodona say that the first prophecies were the words of an oak. Everyone who lived at that time, not being as wise as you young ones are today, found it rewarding enough in their simplicity to listen to an oak or even a stone, so long as it was telling the truth, while it seems to make a difference to you, Phaedrus, who is speaking and where he comes from. Why, though, don’t you just consider whether what he says is right or wrong?

PHAEDRUS: I deserved that, Socrates. And I agree that the Theban king was correct about writing.

SOCRATES: Well, then, those who think they can leave written instructions for an art, as well as those who accept them, thinking that writing can yield results that are clear or certain, must be quite naive and truly ignorant of [Thamos’] prophetic judgment: otherwise, how could they possibly think that words that have been written down can do more than remind those who already know what the writing is about?

PHAEDRUS: Quite right.

SOCRATES: You know, Phaedrus, writing shares a strange feature with painting. The offsprings of painting stand there as if they are alive, but if anyone asks them anything, they remain most solemnly silent. The same is true of written words. You’d think they were speaking as if they had some understanding, but if you question anything that has been said because you want to learn more, it continues to signify just that very same thing forever. When it has once been written down, every discourse roams about everywhere, reaching indiscriminately those with understanding no less than those who have no business with it, and it doesn’t know to whom it should speak and to whom it should not. And when it is faulted and attacked unfairly, it always needs its father’s support; alone, it can neither defend itself nor come to its own support.

PHAEDRUS: You are absolutely right about that, too.

SOCRATES: Now tell me, can we discern another kind of discourse, a legitimate brother of this one? Can we say how it comes about, and how it is by nature better and more capable?

PHAEDRUS: Which one is that? How do you think it comes about?

SOCRATES: It is a discourse that is written down, with knowledge, in the soul of the listener; it can defend itself, and it knows for whom it should speak and for whom it should remain silent.

Plato. c.399-347 BCE. “Phaedrus.” Pp. 551-552 in Compete Works, edited by J. M. Cooper. Indianapolis IN: Hackett.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Socrates foresaw people reading Wikipedia and professing subject matter expertise

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Eldoop posted:

I think he's sort of right in that people won't bother committing certain things to memory if they know they can just look it up, but I don't think that leads to a general "forgetfulness" or lack of understanding or whatever so much as just a shifting of how and where we "remember" different types of information. Instead of having to commit all the little fine details of something to memory, we can just remember the broader strokes and remember where to look up the precise figures. Like I could tell you some general things about, idk, The Odyssey, but I couldn't recite it from memory, because all I need to know for the life I live is those broad ideas. And if I ever do need more precise information I know where to find it easily, although even that knowledge in a lot of cases can be reduced down to just "google it". And the bit about writing enabling people to "hear many things without being properly taught" is I think especially wrong. It's very easy to memorize something without understanding it, as Socrates himself shows in some other dialogues!

what slips through the cracks in terms of what can be expressed by words and what can’t? your post reminded me of research into how Google Maps is ruining our brains

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7156656/

quote:

Habitual use of GPS negatively impacts spatial memory during self-guided navigation

Louisa Dahmani and Véronique D. Bohbot

Global Positioning System (GPS) navigation devices and applications have become ubiquitous over the last decade. However, it is unclear whether using GPS affects our own internal navigation system, or spatial memory, which critically relies on the hippocampus. We assessed the lifetime GPS experience of 50 regular drivers as well as various facets of spatial memory, including spatial memory strategy use, cognitive mapping, and landmark encoding using virtual navigation tasks. We first present cross-sectional results that show that people with greater lifetime GPS experience have worse spatial memory during self-guided navigation, i.e. when they are required to navigate without GPS. In a follow-up session, 13 participants were retested three years after initial testing. Although the longitudinal sample was small, we observed an important effect of GPS use over time, whereby greater GPS use since initial testing was associated with a steeper decline in hippocampal-dependent spatial memory. Importantly, we found that those who used GPS more did not do so because they felt they had a poor sense of direction, suggesting that extensive GPS use led to a decline in spatial memory rather than the other way around. These findings are significant in the context of society’s increasing reliance on GPS.

this isn’t the only or best study but just an example. I know people who i have seen struggle to walk or drive home in a city they’ve lived in for years when they can’t use their maps app. I think this could have done analogies in the matter of writing in general.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I think 1453 is a good time

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fish of hemp posted:

Why did the protestant reformation happened in Germany? One would think that tithes, indulgences and problematicness of saints and purgatory would have been seen as problems in catholic faith all over christian world.

The Germans didn’t want to pay for extravagant Mediterraneans to sit around and eat all day.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

printing in german instead of latin. people were able to read all the books and looked at their church's land rights and gold candelabras and went "the gently caress"

did this also happen when the Bible was printed in old Slavonic?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

how come “bronzes” describes the plural of “2
: a sculpture or artifact of bronze” but this isn’t true for “golds,” “silvers,” etc. it’s weird!

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Chamale posted:

Because bronze statues were common enough that "bronze" became a noun to describe them, while it wasn't the case for gold and silver. Similar to how small stone balls are called "marbles", even though they're now usually made of glass.

wow that makes sense, thank you.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

War and Pieces posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altaic_languages
if you believe this theory then Koreans get to claim all of Steppe history

brothers from sea to shining sea … 🐺

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

vyelkin posted:

if Rome didn't exist,

it would be necessary to invent him

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

fermun posted:

Ice cores from Greenland show the overall European lead production and events that disrupted lead production can be tracked to within a year or two, like the first Punic war, almost all lead production in Europe stopped then as the war drags on starts ramping up again (presumably coinciding with Carthage starting to hire more mercenaries and needing the silver), then when the Romans take control of an area that produces lead after Carthage's defeat, lead contamination in Greenland ice cores skyrocket

that’s amazing. id like to hear more about our earlier work in contaminating the biosphere :)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

before shitposting on the computer you had to go meet your buddies here to lmao together

(pictured: ephesus)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

how come the colonizers weren’t equally hosed up by new world diseases? I guess there was Montezumas revenge but without reading anything on the topic it does make a lot of sense that many native people died with disease and of genocide.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

thank you for the enlightening explanations. seems there was basically some bad luck on top of everything else done purposefully, and then this ended up deliberately weaponized against them.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Guns, Germs, and Steel

lol

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i was only half joking since the book does pretty much address exactly the question you asked lol

hmm. I was reading it around 15 years ago but put it down for some reason and don’t remember anything except it was unimpressive. maybe something about cargo cults?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Fish of hemp posted:

Well, if we leave out geography and germs then reason for European success in getting cargo is that Europeans are either super smart or super evil.

this is supported by historical knowledge

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Agean90 posted:

spending the afternoon hotboxing a whole yurt with some random greek #scythianlife

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Tulip posted:

Frankly settled agrarian societies had women who knew their way around battlefields at least a little bit. Maybe not during the thick of fighting but looting and burying and such would often include women.
not premodern but there were many peasant agrarian women in turkey who fought

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is the epub on libgen?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Agean90 posted:

my back starts to hurt just taking too long to do the dishes I think people itt massively underestimating how much it would suck to do farming where the highest technology you have is a plow and an ox you need to pay someone to use.

dude can you imagine just having some clay dishes and trying to get them clean with soda ash or whatever the gently caress you probably don't even have enough of + don't know enough to care to wash it that good

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

the first time I saw Afghanistan in the news was when they were blowing up the statues and I remember thinking "somebody should DO something!!"

it's been 22 years to the day

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Deniz means "sea" in Turkish and is a popular name for children of leftists/social democrats. it's a convenient unisex name that can be represented in imperialist ascii + sounds like a decent name with two genders in many other languages

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The face of a Siberian Denisovan by artist George Hernandez working in concert with writer-researcher Debbie Cartwright and the present author. Genetic information, Denisovan and Neanderthal fossils, and unique traits in anatomically modern humans were used to reconstruct this likeness

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

:ussr:
On the Significance of Militant Materialism

www.marxists.org posted:

Written: 12 March 1922
First Published: Pod Znamenem Marksizma No. 3,Published according to the Pod Znamenem Marksizma text
Source: Lenin’s Collected Works, Progress Publishers, Moscow, Volume 33, 1972, pp. 227-236

Comrade Trotsky has already said everything necessary, and said it very well, about the general purposes of Pod Znamenem Marksizma in issue No. 1-2 of that journal. I should like to deal with certain questions that more closely define the content and programme of the work which its editors have set forth in the introductory statement in this issue.

The well-known German scientist, Arthur Drews, while refuting religious superstitions and fables in his book, Die Christusmythe (The Christ Myth), and while showing that Christ never existed, at the end of the book declares in favour of religion, albeit a renovated, purified and more subtle religion, one that would be capable of withstanding “the daily growing naturalist torrent” (fourth German edition, 1910, p. 238).

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i got a little greek orthodox curious the last few months cause it reminds me of home, the atmosphere and rituals are interesting, and i liked reading about early church history, the byzantine empire, lives of saints (most of whom lived around asia minor), the endless drama with Catholics and heresies, and so on. they also poo poo talk Protestants, and individualism all the time. there's stuff to like there.

and then I visited a convert church with fully English liturgy and it completely freaked me out, they were to the max with allllll the rituals and prostrations and extremely serious yet earnest and dying to help you in any way. big into modesty, headscarves, long skirts etc. apparently it's a thing in the US for entire parishes of evangelicals and baptists to convert to orthodoxy, and like 8/10 of clergy are former Protestants. also i learned more about rod dreher lol. by contrast, "ethnic" churches are probably more relaxed cause nobody has anything to prove, and there isn't any Protestant baggage. i couldn't fathom someone would want to be a part of this without any cultural connection.

terrified, I read Marx, Engels, and Plekhanov for days to come to my senses. thankfully I didn't actually absorb any belief. of course my problem is alienation and lack of agency:

quote:

Religion is, indeed, the self-consciousness and self-esteem of man who has either not yet won through to himself, or has already lost himself again. … Religious suffering is, at one and the same time, the expression of real suffering and a protest against real suffering. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions.
the foreclosure of the possibilities in this bit by the pancake man gets at the biosphere component of this a little:
Religion by Anton Pannekoek

www.marxists.org posted:

Thus, in all probability, the sources which, in the history of mankind have up until now fed the forces of religion will dry up. No natural power will any longer be able to frighten Man; no natural catastrophe, no storm, no floods, no earthquake or epidemic will be able to put his existence in danger. By ever more accurate predictions, by an ever greater development of the sciences and of an ever more wonderful technology, the dangers will be limited to the maximum: no human life will be wasted. Science and its applications will make mankind the master of natural forces which it will use for its own needs. No powerful or not understood social force will be able to attack or frighten mankind: they will master their fate by organising their work and at the same time master all the mental forces of the will and passion. The anguish of having to go before a supreme judge who will decide the fate of each person for eternity — an anguish which has been responsible for centuries for so many terrors for defenceless mankind — will disappear as soon as co-operation between men and sacrifice for the community are no longer fettered by moral laws. Thus all the functions which religion fulfilled in men’s thought and feelings will be filled by other ways of thinking and feeling.

Where the workers’ labour power is permanently pitted against terrifying natural forces which are not properly dominated as a result of the weakness of capitalism, and which threaten them with death (as is the case for example with miners and fishermen), it is natural that their consciousness remains full of religious ideas and belief.
lol. I'm trying to discern better what I actually liked and saw a need for in this little phase.

there is an interesting podcast I found that may appeal to most people itt: Lord of Spirits. it's like if a better-informed Matt Christman did a pod about early Christianity and Judaism, and the episodes were 3 hours. it can be pretty funny and some of the analysis ends up surprisingly material. here's some bits from a recent episode on Constantine:

quote:

The first thing we need to talk about with St. Constantine is the vision he has, which kind of when he really steps on to the stage of history for most people, right, and this is related to his conversion to Christianity, Now, there are different accounts of this. You have Eusebius of Caesarea -- who wrote the Ecclesiastical History -- who was like the biggest simp for St. Constantine in the history of Earth. Really, it's depressing, right? It's like, pull yourself together, man -- when you read some of the stuff he writes St. Constantine... And I'm somebody who calls him Saint Constantine and I feel this way reading Eusebius. A lot of stuff sounds very embellished, shall we say?

We also have an account of this dream from Lactantius, who is more reserved about this kind of stuff. In terms of my own approach to this stuff, if both Eusebius and Lactantius talk about it, I think it's on secure footing. Eusebius records some stuff that's just weird. Like, before Constantine became a Christian, Eusebius has him in Britain having this vision of Apollo and Apollo predicting it's gonna rain for 30 years and you're like, "Apollo??!"

quote:

– Okay. The Council of Nicaea did not move Christian worship to Sundays.
– Sorry, Ellen G. White.
– Yeah, sorry, Ellen G. White. I think that's two episodes in a row.
– No, it was Mary Baker Eddy last time. And the fact that you can't tell white woman heresiarchs apart is some kind of racism. And I have to call you on it publicly.

– The Lord's Day. It's in the pages of the New Testament that the Christians were gathering on the Lord's day. This one is one where I have a theory again.

He did issue a law making Sunday the first day of the week. The Lord's Day. An official day of rest. Meaning -- what that functionally meant, right? If you were a farmer, you didn't get any days of rest, right. Which was most people. But in cities, government offices, for example, the bureaucratic offices of state, right -- the government offices, government functions were shut down on the Lord's Day, because everyone, including the government officials, including the emperor, were in the liturgy, right.

Except this is another one of those interesting little tidbits, when you read the law, there was one government office that stayed open on the Lord's Day. And that was the office of Manumission. If you wanted to free a slave, you could go free a slave on the Lord's Day. That's the one civil government function you were allowed to do. And the only testimony we have to the thoughts and feelings of St. Constantine on that he understands something about the Lord's Day and the Resurrection

– And finally, the Council of Nicaea did not have the option to change the mode of production in the Empire, which seems like a kind of abstruse thing for us to deny, but people have said this. Like, "They had a chance to get together and vote like to end slavery. They could have done it!"

– Yes. People have said this recently, very well educated, very smart people -- in public -- who know a lot. I would name names on this show, but I don't do that, especially what I'm about to say something is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard in my life.

– So yes, yes. A very wise, smart, intelligent person and then a bunch of other at least reasonably intelligent people like retweeted this and praised this like the most brilliant thing ever said... What this person said is one of the most colossally stupid things I've ever heard (and you can tell him that, and I'll explain it to a bit person): That that this was a horrible missed opportunity, because they could have, they could have ended slavery, they could have ended poverty in the Roman Empire.

Like they could have just voted to do that. Right. Like, let's just completely change the economic system under which the entire Roman Empire functions. By 300 bishops voting on it. About something that the council was not convened to decide, even. remotely and, and has no jurisdiction over. But there's multiple levels to how dumb this is.

So the first, the first level of how dumb it is, like we just said that that would have worked if they tried it, right. That was actually a possibility.

I mean, we should not say that we're like, pro slavery or anything. It's just like, No, this was not a possibility. That was not something they could do.

Now, there were people at this time, for example, like Gregory of Nissa (well, a little after this time). Two subsequent Paschas, in his sermon, he told his people, they had to free all their slaves because it was morally wrong for them to claim to own another person created in the image of Christ. We just talked about how the Manumission Office was the one office open on the Lord's day, right. So yeah, clearly, Christianity was going to end slavery, but you can't do that in like, a day by a bunch of Bishops voting, right? Because an Empire is a complex economy. Sources of labor and value generation, at least, you can't just like flip a switch, like, "Okay, now we're gonna be capitalists," right? :tizzy:

– And let's face it, when was the last time that an an agreed-upon statement voted on by bishops became immediately effective to everyone who possibly read it? I wish, but no.

– But there's a deeper level of dumb, there's a deeper level of dumb. And that deeper level of dumb is not understanding that there are material preconditions for ideas to emerge. So part of the reason they couldn't decide to become a capitalist democracy in 325, at the Council of Nicaea, is that they had no idea what capitalism or democracy were. These ideas did not exist yet. You can't have capitalism, really, until you have the idea of it closer at until you have the idea of commodity production. At the beginning of industrialization, which didn't exist yet -- like the ideas on which those later ideas were built did not exist yet. Right?

So yes, people say, "Gregory of Nissa could look at the institution of slavery and say this is wrong and say to individual people, you need to not participate in this," right?

But let's say they take it a vote to end slavery and St. Constantine said, "You're right. I hereby issue this law: Slavery is over everyone is free." What happens the day after? Who's farming food? This requires massive restructuring. So not only could they not have done it, right, but they could not have even conceived of doing it in 325.

So the idea that somehow was a missed opportunity, that the Fathers of the Council of Nicaea are somehow blameworthy, because they're too narrow minded and just focusing on this theological stuff and not, you know, our important bourgeois liberal values, is ridiculous and absurd :supaburn: -- and one of the stupidest things that's ever been said publicly. They couldn't have done that. :piss: This argument is like saying that Vatican I in the middle of the 19th century should have voted to abolish the euro (which didn't exist yet). Anyway :arghfist:
slightly embarrassing times but learned some things

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weka posted:

IDK what being better informed than Christman implies but afaik only a few American churches consider Sunday to be the sabbath, most christian denominations hold that it's Saturday, so I'd take the rest of this stuff with a grain of salt.

Could you be more specific? Sabbath is not mentioned in that passage, and Saturday is the sabbath anyway; the Lord's Day is a different day, Sunday.

I think Matt's often wrong on his podcasts but makes up for it with personality and I think he would probably acknowledge that. In general I think this show is about a field in which the hosts hold advanced degrees, with knowledge of Greek, and decades of study. They are often wrong when they talk about anything that's not to do with Christianity (e.g. Islam, science)

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weka posted:

I think the thing that threw me was his line
"It's in the pages of the New Testament that the Christians were gathering on the Lord's day."
which is technically correct I guess, but I read it as worshiping then, or at least gathering regularly then, which as I remember is described as happening on the sabbath. So I guess my criticism is a lot smaller than originally, just that any descriptions in the New Testament of Christians gathering on Sunday is like 'on Sunday the disciples were breaking bread' and not about Sunday being a day of note.
My bad, but his too.

still not sure what you mean

seventh day adventists if they count

the Ellen G. White they mentioned founded the seventh day adventists fwiw

anyway it's just a stupid podcast I enjoyed and will probably listen to for a while longer, which has a guy who sounds like and gets riled up like another podcast guy, that's just a part from the last episode listened to which reminded me. they've got some interesting topics.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 11:27 on Mar 26, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

St. Paul Le Blanc

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Remulak posted:

it belongs to them let’s give it back.

*pope floods Latin America with all the plundered gold from way back, creating the biggest inflationary crisis of the century*

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

when my web browser crashes I don't even have to look to see if some guy tt caused it by posting a bunch of tweets anymore

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Discord server that Mr Toler tracked the leaks to belongs to a popular YouTube channel called Wow Mao, which creates “low effort” meme videos with titles like “which Communist would you smoke with?” and “who is the better philosopher? Diogenes versus Jordan Peterson”.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

ehhhhhhh I'm gonna go with Neutral Good

It's good

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

excellent news. now let's have England and Germany return the stuff they stole to Turkey.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

returning the parthenon marbles to turkey because they are the true successor state of athens via rome

those should be returned to turkey bc it's the successor state of the Empire from which it was stolen.

but they should also return the stuff they took from Troy.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

well they have to get it back from moscow
I was thinking of this but apparently it was the German cache, part of which was indeed liberated by the glorious army of Soviet workers.
https://www.theartnewspaper.com/201...m-150-years-ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Weka posted:

I read somewhere that red hair comes from the proto-indo Europeans, who used chariots. Odin and the rest of the Aesir are described as having a number of red headed members. They invade the territory of the Vanir, who are predominantly blonde.
It's a theory I have that the myth of the Norse gods war describes the PIE migrations and invasions.

there's a region of northern turkey along the Black Sea coast where folx have red hair and freckles. I read
they were found to be similar to scots, geneticwise.