Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

Why not put the solar panels like over the highway like a tunnel?

Or put them directly in the places that would need to draw power in the day but not at night? workplaces, warehouses, restaurants and retail

Obv it's not meant to be the lone energy source, but it seems we could lighten the daytime load on the energy grid in heavily populated areas.

Still, nuclear is the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Just looked it up, 39% of my states electricity comes from wind. Gonna be 50 by next year.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Julius CSAR posted:

But it won't matter how many you build because you still have to deal with the fact that solar generates the most when electricity is being used the least and also does not generate enough when demand is increased and also we don't have the technology to store any reasonable amount of the energy generated for on demand use. You know who LOVES solar power? Natural gas turbine producers and gas suppliers because all those solar fields are backstopped by natural gas (or worse).

I don't have an issue with solar per se, but I really think we need to solve the problem with on demand production first. And since the answer to that problem is not capable of being renewables at this point in time, we need other solutions. And really the only solution that solves the problem is nuclear. I feel like renewables are kind of a dead end right now.

Also I have a lot of time for arguments about using less power in general, but at the same that's privilege we're allowed by living in first world nations. You can't go to communities where electricity is just now helping to uplift people out of abject poverty and tell those people, "Look I know your kids are able to finally do homework at night and can sleep without the fear of freezing to death, but maybe don't use your lights so much?" And the places where that is happening are only growing, not shrinking, and the demand for electricity will continue upwards exponentially with population and most of those places are supplied by an ever growing world wide coal industry.

This is a good post, I've been trying and failing for years to properly illustrate this very issue to my cali dwelling family.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Do we really NEED to use power when the sun isn't out? Other than hospitals I guess.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

reignofevil posted:

Do we really NEED to use power when the sun isn't out? Other than hospitals I guess.

Right like I said, that’s great for us in privileged 1st world societies, not so much a large portion of the rest of the world

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Burt Sexual posted:

Just looked it up, 39% of my states electricity comes from wind. Gonna be 50 by next year.

Is that an installed capacity figure or like % of total electricity used was generated by wind? It's a good number, hopefully storage can catch up

reignofevil posted:

Non joking answer, a lot of factories/ forges will run at night because electricity demand is typically lower which allows for less swings in power usage between peak and off peak hours to reduce the amount of load following that needs to be done.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Burt Sexual posted:

wind farms own, my state is up there as well

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Julius CSAR posted:

Right like I said, that’s great for us in privileged 1st world societies, not so much a large portion of the rest of the world

No, that’s a white noise post.

ilmucche posted:

Is that an installed capacity figure or like % of total electricity used was generated by wind? It's a good number, hopefully storage can catch up

Non joking answer, a lot of factories/ forges will run at night because electricity demand is typically lower which allows for less swings in power usage between peak and off peak hours to reduce the amount of load following that needs to be done.

It’s used, but we have nuke plants too. I believe the last coal closed last year.

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

We could just megahitler a lot of the world, thus reducing the world's energy demands and demands for consumer products. Most people live on the coasts, right, and the oceans are rising right? So we just stay the course until a few billion people die. As long as we don't try to take in all the displaced migrants we'll be fine. Build the wall, and let the chips fall where they may.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I hate that I have to keep hammering this home, but the marriage of renewables and some kind of non-emitting storage like pumped hydro, still pale in comparison to the simple, astounding energy density of fissile fuels.

One single pound of HEU, a little bigger than a sugar cube, has the recoverable energy equivalent of 25,000 barrels of oil when utilized in a reprocessing cycle.

The materials input, waste, and footprint of a combined renewables system is worse and comes with a higher fatality rate than nuclear. It is time to stop worrying and learn to love the atom.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Julius CSAR posted:

Also I have a lot of time for arguments about using less power in general,

This right here.

More stories.
Met a local mom at a BBQ, family was off-grid for decades. Her daughter just went off to college first semester living in the dorms and called in tears about 2 weeks in.

She had turned off her roommate's stereo that had been left on in the morning before she left for class. Neither kid would be back til that afternoon so she just turned it off before she left, cause she grew up off-grid and that's what you do. Roommate tore into her that afternoon, Never Touch My Stuff type yelling.

I've talked with customers that leave their TV on while at work. To scare away would-be burglars? Uh, no. I just like it on.

I'll pull a number out of my rear end, but most households/nations/economies could save 5% of the total electrical consumption if individual people just shut off lights and stereos when not in use.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mnoba posted:

wind farms own, my state is up there as well

My sons community college installed a big rear end one. Kinda I guess, we got bigger. 2.5megw

It shaved 25% off the electric bill of the entire campus, and they have training programs for the poo poo. It’s kick rear end. One turbine. Relatively low mount.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Internetjack posted:

This right here.

More stories.
Met a local mom at a BBQ, family was off-grid for decades. Her daughter just went off to college first semester living in the dorms and called in tears about 2 weeks in.

She had turned off her roommate's stereo that had been left on in the morning before she left for class. Neither kid would be back til that afternoon so she just turned it off before she left, cause she grew up off-grid and that's what you do. Roommate tore into her that afternoon, Never Touch My Stuff type yelling.

I've talked with customers that leave their TV on while at work. To scare away would-be burglars? Uh, no. I just like it on.

I'll pull a number out of my rear end, but most households/nations/economies could save 5% of the total electrical consumption if individual people just shut off lights and stereos when not in use.

off grid people are stupid as gently caress, but you should deff turn your stereo and tv off

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Julius CSAR posted:

off grid people are stupid as gently caress, but you should deff turn your stereo and tv off

My electric bill was $280 last month. gently caress me.

I yell at clouds a lot about turning lights off to my daughter. It’s not just one light either, it’s the bath light for make up that has 10 bulbs at 60 watts

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop

Julius CSAR posted:

lol, I'm legit curious as to your criteria there?

There's the home-schooling, bible thumping off-grid stupid as gently caress stereotype, but there's also lot's of very nice off grid homes operated by intelligent people that would be the envy of any goon. I know a few of each category!

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I always thought solar panels you drive over was dumb.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

drilldo squirt posted:

I always thought solar panels you drive over was dumb.

I'm pretty sure everyone who put even mild thought into it came to the same conclusion

otoh $5m is a drop in the bucket, and hopefully gets people off the idea

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
There has to be a way to make tires softer so they don't damage the road solar panels.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
So France ain't invented the broom yet?

Anyone who plays Civ knows that's the first thing you research.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Throwing off the shadow of a better man.

Schweinhund posted:

There has to be a way to make tires softer so they don't damage the road solar panels.

Make tires out of magnets, and then make roads out of other magnets, and then driving becomes your kinetic-mag dynamo charger thingie. For power.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Whatever happened to that awful Tesla home battery pack project? Literally just a giant battery that you run your appliances off of, a fire hazard middleman gizmo between the electrical grid and your stuff

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Julius CSAR posted:

But it won't matter how many you build because you still have to deal with the fact that solar generates the most when electricity is being used the least

Very importantly, electricity consumption doesn’t really matter at all in the grans scheme of energy consumption. Electricity is roughly 12.5% of total energy consumption. Especially, heating/cooling and transport are much larger factors.

EVs can move some transportation to electricity and heating can be done electrically as well, so it is possible to shift some of the much more important 87.5% other consumption to electrical if there’s an over-production of electricity at some point in time.

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Kazak posted:

Whatever happened to that awful Tesla home battery pack project? Literally just a giant battery that you run your appliances off of, a fire hazard middleman gizmo between the electrical grid and your stuff

I think it sank, so Musk accused an electrician of being a pedophile.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

My electric bill was $280 last month. gently caress me.

I yell at clouds a lot about turning lights off to my daughter. It’s not just one light either, it’s the bath light for make up that has 10 bulbs at 60 watts

I had solar installed a couple of months back. My bill used to be about 320.00 right now. Now it's a 107.00/mo payment all year.

Solar good.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Make tires out of sponges, so they're soft and they clean the debris off the solar panels.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rad-daddio posted:

I had solar installed a couple of months back. My bill used to be about 320.00 right now. Now it's a 107.00/mo payment all year.

Solar good.

And it cost?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
What we really need is more sovcits but for electricity.

"No, you see, electricity officer, I'm not consuming electricity, I am merely transforming one form of energy into another."

Obsidianheart
Apr 26, 2017

Honestly, my electricity bill would probably be a lot lower if I'd quit hooking this antique TENS Unit up to my balls as soon as I was alone every night.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Kazak posted:

They used the money to finance Model 3 production. Without the model 3 Tesla would be dead. Musk's words, more or less. Hopefully they'll actually do delivery, it's an OK idea when paired with a solar panel. If they use the fireproofing stuff they used on the model 3 battery pack you don't have to worry about fires.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Did any wayward souls convert to the power of the nucleus yet? That's what I want to know. Imagine how misguided you'd have to be to reject the only option developed civilization has?

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

And it cost?

I just had to sell off one of my kids. Pretty fair imho.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Solar works a lot better when you raise it off the ground, angle it to get better light exposure and minimize debris buildup, and don't run it over with thousands of cars every day.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Don't worry about nuclear or solar, fusion is just 50 years away.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
You guys want to buy my cold fusion kit? $199.99 and I'll throw in the cantaloupe for free.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Julius CSAR posted:

But it won't matter how many you build because you still have to deal with the fact that solar generates the most when electricity is being used the least and also does not generate enough when demand is increased and also we don't have the technology to store any reasonable amount of the energy generated for on demand use. You know who LOVES solar power? Natural gas turbine producers and gas suppliers because all those solar fields are backstopped by natural gas (or worse).

I don't have an issue with solar per se, but I really think we need to solve the problem with on demand production first. And since the answer to that problem is not capable of being renewables at this point in time, we need other solutions. And really the only solution that solves the problem is nuclear. I feel like renewables are kind of a dead end right now.

Also I have a lot of time for arguments about using less power in general, but at the same that's privilege we're allowed by living in first world nations. You can't go to communities where electricity is just now helping to uplift people out of abject poverty and tell those people, "Look I know your kids are able to finally do homework at night and can sleep without the fear of freezing to death, but maybe don't use your lights so much?" And the places where that is happening are only growing, not shrinking, and the demand for electricity will continue upwards exponentially with population and most of those places are supplied by an ever growing world wide coal industry.

Nah. Nobody thinks that a family installing two 11W CFLs in their hovel and running them for 4h a day is a problem or wrong. The real problem are fat Americans running their 6000W air conditioner in their McMansion for 12h a day.

Also, the scare mongering about renewables and storage requirements is stupid. With good enough grid infrastructure you don't need large scale storage waaaaay past the point most countries will ever go. Renewables are now the cheapest form of electricity generation in most situstions and cool and good.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Opferwurst posted:

Nah. Nobody thinks that a family installing two 11W CFLs in their hovel and running them for 4h a day is a problem or wrong. The real problem are fat Americans running their 6000W air conditioner in their McMansion for 12h a day.

Also, the scare mongering about renewables and storage requirements is stupid. With good enough grid infrastructure you don't need large scale storage waaaaay past the point most countries will ever go. Renewables are now the cheapest form of electricity generation in most situstions and cool and good.

In Australia, a country with coal shooting out of the ground if you even so much as stick a shovel in it, banks are no longer loaning money for coal based start up because of the expense vs alternatives.

But in NO WAY is it the future guys.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Opferwurst posted:

It's not scare mongering to point out that, no, in fact the storage requirements for baseload are enormous and costly and large scale renewable installations are a godsend for nat-gas. They might be cheap to install, but they don't meet the needs of industrial civilization in its current form. Nothing short of a massive culling of energy demand make them work at scale.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Opferwurst posted:

Good job missing the point

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Solar Roadways sent their PR person to give a talk at the university I was a researcher at and they were woefully unprepared to present any of this to a bunch of material scientists. At one point the talk organizer had to butt in because it was just person after person telling her ten ways how stupid of an idea it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Irradiation posted:

Solar Roadways sent their PR person to give a talk at the university I was a researcher at and they were woefully unprepared to present any of this to a bunch of material scientists. At one point the talk organizer had to butt in because it was just person after person telling her ten ways how stupid of an idea it was.

Tell me someone recorded it.