Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The department recorded many talks, but they never put them up for public viewing to my knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
How about, um, solar toads? Like cute little froggers cybernetically enhanced with solar panels.

Internetjack
Sep 15, 2007

oh god how did this get here i am not good with computers
Top Cop
Ok, just think about this for a minute...

What if we make plants that run on sunlight?

FuuuuuuUUUUuuuuuck......!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Internetjack posted:

Ok, just think about this for a minute...

What if we make plants that run on sunlight?

FuuuuuuUUUUuuuuuck......!

Burns down entire amazon rainforest for usurping my power

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

We need to figure out how to terraform Earth.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I really want to have photosynthesis genes CRISPRed into me

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

Charles posted:

I really want to have photosynthesis genes CRISPRed into me

So basically an orc

Im Ready for DEATH
Oct 5, 2016

Delvians from Farscape.

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
I'm sparkin up fatties of chronic rolling down my solar road, smooth as silk on mageticnick sproinker things : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT9bY7pCBNg

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I was trying to think if there are any places that would be worse to put solar panels than on roads. So far all I have is:

-In the ocean
-in volcanoes

I was thinking of train tracks but you could put them between the rails and that would probably be better

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
I say we clear out all of the undesirables and use that space to farm solar. Less riff raff, more electricity. Win-win-win.

3rd win is for me because I thought of this idea and that means I win

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I don't buy the argument about solar being useless because its output is unreliable and you have to fall back to some other energy source sometimes. Yeah, that means a 100% solar solution isn't feasible, at least without some way better storage solution. But having some of your load generated by solar is still cleaner than no solar at all, and it's already cheaper than nuclear. And it's not like we can't predict demand or when and where clouds are going to appear and have the backup plants ready to engage in an efficient manner. Also, there's no way you're going to convince me that manufacturing a panel is dirtier than mining and burning the equivalent amount of coal/gas to produce the energy that the panel will produce in its multi-decade service life.

If you live somewhere sunny and there's large amount of vacant, cheap land and your grid isn't already mostly clean, then the only reason not to build solar is if you can build wind or nuclear cheaper. Just don't build it under your cars.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Schweinhund posted:

I was trying to think if there are any places that would be worse to put solar panels than on roads. So far all I have is:

-In the ocean
-in volcanoes

I was thinking of train tracks but you could put them between the rails and that would probably be better

Use them as the foundation for new buildings

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

Bad Purchase posted:

I don't buy the argument about solar being useless because its output is unreliable and you have to fall back to some other energy source sometimes. Yeah, that means a 100% solar solution isn't feasible, at least without some way better storage solution. But having some of your load generated by solar is still cleaner than no solar at all, and it's already cheaper than nuclear. And it's not like we can't predict demand or when and where clouds are going to appear and have the backup plants ready to engage in an efficient manner. Also, there's no way you're going to convince me that manufacturing a panel is dirtier than mining and burning the equivalent amount of coal/gas to produce the energy that the panel will produce in its multi-decade service life.

If you live somewhere sunny and there's large amount of vacant, cheap land and your grid isn't already mostly clean, then the only reason not to build solar is if you can build wind or nuclear cheaper. Just don't build it under your cars.

:actually: looking strictly at the $$$ is an insufficient census of the facts about power sources. Ahem,

Also the storage problem is huge, and incredibly costly.

Fossils < Solar < Nuke

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Cost and regulatory considerations are absolutely a factor, but I agree that cleanliness is also important. It would be helpful if coal and gas were on those charts. If solar is only marginally cleaner than those, then yeah, maybe it is a waste of time to pursue. But if it's a case where solar is 80% cleaner and nuclear is 90% cleaner, then I don't really care. Just build whatever you can build fast and cheap before this figurative hell earth becomes a literal hell earth.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

I got bad news about hell earth and its hereness. But here's a chart with everything

I'm not outright against solar, if it is a sunny place build it. Just don't wait to build the nukes everywhere else because they take longer.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The answer is carbon tax. Finding a source of energy is fun but it won’t really happen until there’s a meaningful price on carbon

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I found a good place where they can put solar panels

https://medium.com/social-innovation-japan/fukushimas-nuclear-exclusion-zone-7-years-on-5b1998a1d560

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

:lol: u dumb

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Protagonist posted:

I got bad news about hell earth and its hereness. But here's a chart with everything

I'm not outright against solar, if it is a sunny place build it. Just don't wait to build the nukes everywhere else because they take longer.

Just nimby

I think most itt are in agreement a blend is necessary though

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Yeah, I agree that nukes are great and we should build more of them too. I do have one nagging reservation, which is that humans operate them, and humans are notoriously bad at not cutting corners to save money, which is kind of a problem when one little oopsie can mean poisoning a huge chunk of land for hundreds of years. Part of that could be solved with safer reactor designs, but you also have to transport waste at some point. Other than the Russians, the world has done an OK job of preventing disasters so far, but the stakes are pretty high.

Also, yes, make producers of pollution pay the cost of cleaning that pollution up front, and all those really motivated business types will quickly find a way to pollute less (or more likely, game whatever regulatory scheme you come up with :capitalism:).

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

Yeah, I agree that nukes are great and we should build more of them too. I do have one nagging reservation, which is that humans operate them, and humans are notoriously bad at not cutting corners to save money, which is kind of a problem when one little oopsie can mean poisoning a huge chunk of land for hundreds of years. Part of that could be solved with safer reactor designs, but you also have to transport waste at some point. Other than the Russians, the world has done an OK job of preventing disasters so far, but the stakes are pretty high.

Also, yes, make producers of pollution pay the cost of cleaning that pollution up front, and all those really motivated business types will quickly find a way to pollute less (or more likely, game whatever regulatory scheme you come up with :capitalism:).

Waste isn't the problem you've been taught, and new reactor designs are inherently safe in the way old ones were not. Without getting down into the weeds, the difference is akin to cars before and after seatbelts and safety glass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI_3gARwn3Y

Pandora's Promise is definitely a worthwhile watch in its entirety.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

A finely tuned coal burning plant has a higher death count than a poorly run nuclear plant, it's just not such a spectacle when coal byproducts kill thousands of people.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I don't know too much about reactors. Are there any unmeltdownable reactors that have already been built and are producing power today?

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

I don't know too much about reactors. Are there any unmeltdownable reactors that have already been built and are producing power today?

Yes! Sort of! The AP1000

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCorzfw5liQ

e; also we built one of these then the dems killed it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sp1Xja6HlIU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

The Protagonist posted:

Waste isn't the problem you've been taught, and new reactor designs are inherently safe in the way old ones were not. Without getting down into the weeds, the difference is akin to cars before and after seatbelts and safety glass.

That’s cool poo poo thx

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Did we figure out what the nuclear explosion was a couple weeks ago that killed at least five Russians?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Charles posted:

Did we figure out what the nuclear explosion was a couple weeks ago that killed at least five Russians?

Not great, not terrible.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

We could have a Chernobyl level disaster every month, year and and out, and it wouldn't be as bad as the continued use of fossil fuels.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Charles posted:

The Russian military was apparently trying to recover a nuclear-powered cruise missile they crashed a while back in a failed test, and it blew up.

"wait, nuclear powered missile?!" you say? Well it's a very simple process, you have a setup that forces air into a nuclear ramjet where it's superheated and expelled through a jet nozzle for propulsion. The radioactive exhaust is a feature, as the missiles would be programmed to fly over inhabited areas and farmland before striking their targets, spreading low-level fallout over the enemy's countryside. The US toyed around with the concept back in the late 50s under the name "Project Pluto" but ultimately canceled it for being "too provocative" and "insane."

Russia is a decaying evil empire increasingly incapable of maintaining a competitive conventional military, so they've gone in on doomsday weapons like this and that cobalt torpedo intended to attack coastal cities. They can't easily threaten the rest of Europe with tanks any more, and conventional/nuclear green energy is lessening the effect of "we'll shut off the gas!" threats, so they're using nukes instead.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Dunno if I'm getting owned by Russian propaganda but i find the drone torpedo and the Soviet pluto irl scary

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
I refuse to believe that American nuclear and rocket scientists in the 1950s thought anything was beyond the pale. We nuked the upper atmosphere just to see what would happen (it hosed up the magnetic band protecting us from cosmic death rays for a bit). Also, the Davy Crockett nuclear bazooka was pretty nuts.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

The Protagonist posted:

Also, potentially having marginal amounts of nuclear fallout are probably better than the prospect of worldwide extinction due to climate change. But that's just me.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
We ought to install a wind power generator in every bathroom, water closet, and brick shithouse.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

Irradiation posted:

Solar Roadways sent their PR person to give a talk at the university I was a researcher at and they were woefully unprepared to present any of this to a bunch of material scientists. At one point the talk organizer had to butt in because it was just person after person telling her ten ways how stupid of an idea it was.

Was their PR person at least an engineer? That must've been a bloodbath.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
The obvious solution is solar plants.

That is, plants bio-engineered to generate solar electricity. Throw the seeds into a big fallow field covered with a conductive grid and voila!

Even better, engineer them to also produce fruit that tastes like faux beef. You'd make a FORTUNE!

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Bad Purchase posted:

Candu. Nearly impossible to actually melt the fuel.

Really we should be moving towards thorium and new reactor types. Pwrs are good but nuclear is kind of in an aviation industry situation where everything is evolutions of really old designs. It costs a hell of a lot to test out new designs, and old/evolution designs are expensive enough to build already.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ilmucche posted:

Really we should be moving towards thorium and new reactor types.

According to serious pragmatic people that know the industry that isn't doable because *mumbles indistinctly*

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

probably because you can’t sell the waste to the government as a component for high yield explosives, won’t somebody think of the national security??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Bad Purchase posted:

probably because you can’t sell the waste to the government as a component for high yield explosives, won’t somebody think of the national security??

I;m thinking about thos grifts.