Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

FactsAreUseless posted:

You just described chorizo, so what I'm hearing is I should cook eggs in scrapple.

Chorizo is just spicier less gross scrapple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
visited philly in july and had scrapple. i dont get it. it was like processed breakfast sausage but worse. wawa was cool

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Milo and POTUS posted:

mcnulty ordered scrapple from that waitress he hosed after he crashed his car in the wire im pretty sure. Good order. Will have what hes having

Baltimore is the end of the scrapple zone. I had some scrapple in Baltimore that made me want to cry. It's not a normal thing for them.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I use to play scrapple a lot but spelling the words was a pain in the rear end

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Scrapple loving stinks like poo poo and it's the worst part of visiting family in South Jersey

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Scrapple is fuckin' great with sunny-side up eggs and toast. It's one of the few things I miss about moving out of the deep woods of appalachia.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
nope but i listened to this a bunch of times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg4eOHc3Rpg

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

was introduced to scrapple by a MD native soon after I moved to the area years ago and it was loving delicious op

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I'm from Western MD and yeah have it every couple of years. Friend of mine who does hog butchering gets tray after tray of scrapple after he finishes carving a hog, like a ridiculous amount per pig.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
It is good over everything bagels mit cheese and eggs.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Scrapple doesn’t sound that bad in theory but it has a weird, bitter taste that is revolting in practice

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah we ate it when I lived in MD as a kid.
There were also these big plastic tubes of a pinkish pate-like meat paste that my dad spread on sandwiches. Does anybody know what I'm describing?

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

There were also these big plastic tubes of a pinkish pate-like meat paste that my dad spread on sandwiches. Does anybody know what I'm describing?

Braunschweiger, dogs love that in between hard food. It is unhealthy for them because sodium and fat contend.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

FactsAreUseless posted:

I've never had scrapple but every time someone mentions it it just sounds like a sausage patty.

Scrapple is like a hybrid of sausage and polenta

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

DiggityDoink posted:

taylor ham needs to be a nationwide thing, i'd murder lots of people for a taylor ham, egg and cheese on a hard roll in CA. salt and pepper, no ketchup.

heck yes, my standard order at a local place is fried egg and pork roll on a toasted cheddar dill bagel with cheddar cheese. so great

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

sweet thursday posted:

What an awful name for a thing that in itself sounds awful

I wouldn't eat it OP

In the South they have a somwhat similar meat product called livermush

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Sounds offal, OP

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

I cook mine in a mush rather than slices. It owns with runny eggs mixed together.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
The key to cooking it to an enjoyable consistency is to make sure you get a nice golden brown crisp on both sides. Med-high heat on a cured cast iron skillet with butter. If you don't cook it thoroughly you get a gross soft middle

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Baltimore is the end of the scrapple zone. I had some scrapple in Baltimore that made me want to cry. It's not a normal thing for them.

You ordered it from some tourist trap on Pratt didn’t you lol

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

my mom loves this poo poo so we ate it a lot growing up and I could never understand why you'd want to eat the stuff that couldn't make the cut for jimmy dean. nasty.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

its a patty made out of the pig assholes that didnt make the cut for hotdogs.

Kak
Sep 27, 2002

peanut posted:

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

ASenileAnimal posted:

its a patty made out of the pig assholes that didnt make the cut for hotdogs.

The good stuff is head and organ meat like heart and liver my hunting friends never used the butthole lol.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

could also be:

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
I have an ex from NJ who was the most outwardly self-righteous and judgmental person I've ever met, mostly directed at southerners, who couldn't stop drooling over this processed garbage. She also insisted that it was on the short list of foods that didn't irritate her Crohn's. There's something in the water up there, I tell ya.

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

interwhat posted:

The key to cooking it to an enjoyable consistency is to make sure you get a nice golden brown crisp on both sides. Med-high heat on a cured cast iron skillet with butter. If you don't cook it thoroughly you get a gross soft middle

I'll be honest and say that I actually prefer it a little soft on the inside and crispy on the outside (like good french toast), but I also love me some scrapple that's crispy all the way through. Goddamn, scrapple owns so much.

I'm iffy about the Dogfish Head scrapple beer they made a few years back, though. It was only really consumable with a syrup-heavy breakfast.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

braunschweiger owns.
I will eat that plain on a cutting board right on its own, you don't cook it, it's just sort of a real thick 'spread' consistancy. Though it's good too with some sliced white onion and some good quality, really grainy mustard if you got that, that's more traditional. The oscar meyer stuff is pretty junk tier, comparatively. Usingers is a good brand, if you can get it. Kretschmar, too. But I'm guessing most of these are pretty regional to the Great Lakes region. If you've never had it it's worth a try.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Is brunschweiger the same as liverwurst? Because that stuff is awesome.

Scrapple is wonderful, Habbersett's is the best. I recently took a trip over to Ireland and was skeptical about trying blood pudding but when I did I found it to be delicious and similar to scrapple (but still it's own thing).

Pork Roll is also awesome. Thanks for your time.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Sounds like haggis, and haggis is good

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

superjew posted:

I have an ex from NJ who was the most outwardly self-righteous and judgmental person I've ever met, mostly directed at southerners, who couldn't stop drooling over this processed garbage. She also insisted that it was on the short list of foods that didn't irritate her Crohn's. There's something in the water up there, I tell ya.

A whole lot to unpack from this post good lord lmao

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Braunschweiger is milder than liverwurst. It's also smoked. Though smoked so lightly that I bet if I never said anything, you'd never know that.

The flavor is extremely hard to describe. If you've had a good, mild pate that you've liked, think of that. Now add a..I guess..a bolgna flavor to that? That's a very terrible description probably so if that sounds terrible to you just know that I'm only trying for something real tough to describe.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Big Beef City posted:

braunschweiger owns.
I will eat that plain on a cutting board right on its own, you don't cook it, it's just sort of a real thick 'spread' consistancy. Though it's good too with some sliced white onion and some good quality, really grainy mustard if you got that, that's more traditional. The oscar meyer stuff is pretty junk tier, comparatively. Usingers is a good brand, if you can get it. Kretschmar, too. But I'm guessing most of these are pretty regional to the Great Lakes region. If you've never had it it's worth a try.

I love it, I make sandwiches with it for work or just eat it on crackers. Just "pink meat tube" make me think of the oscar meyer version we always had in the house when I was growing up.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

also pink meat tube is a p good user name.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Chorizo is just spicier less gross scrapple.

I love chorizo (heh:dong:) but scrapple is less gross?! Chorizo like from the Latin corner store is so good but greasy as hell.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

its actually made from the best stuff on earth OP

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

A whole lot to unpack from this post good lord lmao

Much like her intestines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It was definitely called "liverwurst" by my father but the pink meat tube package may have varied. Thank you, goons. <3