Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Yeah I was kind of figuring that. But it does bode well for his return to the narrative.

Really it's a giant hole if Cortezar and Dawes don't pop back up with Duarte but it wouldn't be the first time the show's made major character changes. Still I feel Dawes especially will be hard to kill offscreen or otherwise marginalize in the conflict to come.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

If they don't get Jared Harris for Dawes...

I will be very sad but still completely IL with this show :mad:

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
Cross-postin from the TV thread

CommanderApaul posted:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CGGPP3qJA2h/?igshid=yqm3zjkpmeh5

Wes posted the video to his Instagram. It's pretty loving impressive and I am hyped.

Time for Amos' big adventure!

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Is this two books in one season ending with the *poof*?

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007

doomisland posted:

Is this two books in one season ending with the *poof*?

Didn't look like it from just the trailer but there's no real way of knowing.

I hope not, regardless.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:sbahj: Every now and then, I wonder if SyFy regrets their decision to drop the one legitimate sci-fi property they've secured since Battlestar Galactica in 2003

Edit: Whoops, meant this for the non-spoiler thread

404notfound fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 9, 2020

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caLji74IIp4

Amos' Big Adventure is here!!!

Also spotted: Naomi's bloody eyeball and Filip's as he watches her! :derp:

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
full season of Amos punching everything bad in the world and also some good things too please

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I also look forward to people objecting to Clarissa being part of the crew, until suddenly they don't.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Madurai posted:

I also look forward to people objecting to Clarissa being part of the crew, until suddenly they don't.

I hope they do a better job with Clarissa is general in the show.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PriorMarcus posted:

I hope they do a better job with Clarissa is general in the show.

To be clear, by "people" I meant "show watchers."

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
In light of Alex' actor being a sex pest theres good odds that Clarissa becomes the pilot and not just apprentice engineer

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Madurai posted:

To be clear, by "people" I meant "show watchers."

Oh. I thought it was a reference to how all of the characters except Holden accept her onto the ship and even his disagreement with it is resolved pretty much off screen.

I always felt like she joined the crew and just hung out in the background. I hope the show does more with her.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Phi230 posted:

In light of Alex' actor being a sex pest theres good odds that Clarissa becomes the pilot and not just apprentice engineer

me, 10 minutes of googling ago posted:

Cas Anvar is a what now?

welp, recast that poo poo, bring back the dead medic and he's a pilot now.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

welp, recast that poo poo, bring back the dead medic and he's a pilot now.

Pretty much impossible to do for the upcoming season since Covid happened around (just after?) that came to light, so he'll be in this season but will almost certainly be written out of future seasons.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Better just to recast him and act like nothing is different.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Donkey Balls

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ded posted:

Better just to recast him and act like nothing is different.

agreed
                                    /

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

I... Ok, yeah that'd work...

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Actually, recast him and have someone say "WOW! Alex you changed your hair it looks great!" Or say he lost weight or w/e

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
It doesn't help that his character is always making inappropriate comments and overtly sexualizing everything. :nallears:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It doesn't help that his character is always making inappropriate comments and overtly sexualizing everything. :nallears:

So what you're saying is he was cast perfectly for the part?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Not after everyone finds out, at least

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

pik_d posted:

:vince:

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh. I thought it was a reference to how all of the characters except Holden accept her onto the ship and even his disagreement with it is resolved pretty much off screen.

I always felt like she joined the crew and just hung out in the background. I hope the show does more with her.

The bar they have to clear here IMO is everyone all of a sudden accepting Athena on BSG, it'll be interesting to see if they clear that (I would like to say it shouldn't be too hard).

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

gently caress

pik_d posted:

gently caress!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Everybody posting BSG reference gifs to answer "how do you feel about season 5" in the non-spoiler thread and I feel like this obvious reference was missed (for obvious reasons):

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Everybody posting BSG reference gifs to answer "how do you feel about season 5" in the non-spoiler thread and I feel like this obvious reference was missed (for obvious reasons):

Baltar’s house blown up.gif

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Drone Jett posted:

Baltar’s house blown up.gif

I actually looked for this first but welp. :shrug:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So, season 6 will be the last one. I guess cutting it off before the 30-year jump makes sense, and you can probably massage the whole Duarte/Laconia arc to find a satisfactory stopping point. Maybe tossing out Laconia entirely could make for a tighter story, without the whole addition of an established human civilization on an alien planet. If the rest of the show has been any indication, they're pretty skilled at adapting the books in a way that stands on its own.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
X-post from the other thread:

Jakabite posted:

Can see why they’ve done it but still disappointed. Will hopefully mean two very action packed seasons though.

So I think they cut Laconia entirely, but have some rogue element/still active protogen gang/Marco wielding the protomolecule tech and awakening the force that destroyed the PM creators. Books 5 and 6 covered in this season with Marco not being beaten but loving himself up using the protomolecule tech Laconia uses in books 7 and 8. Season 6 is the fight against the PM destroyers, and is released shortly after book 9. The book writers and show writers are the same people so this won’t be as hard as you’d think. This will also hopefully mean we get Avasarala til the very end too!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I haven't read the latest books. I suppose there's a lot of redundant stuff in there? From what I gleaned, the Duarte stuff stretches over at least two books, and he's been alluded to in season 4. I wonder how that'll work out.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
But Marco is a loving dreadful character, not as in naughty, just terrible. Everything about him in the books just dragged. Maybe the tv version can pull it off, but from what we saw s4 I doubt it.

More likely mars rebels will go to laconia and come straight back with the new ships, but who knows. There is no way they are going to get the ending they wanted, and this is a crappy compromise. Should have just replaced Anvar.

They may get The Boys numbers and change their minds, who knows.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If they try and cram the entire Laconia and Protomolecule-Builder-Killers story arcs into one last season it's going to be dogshit, I'd honestly rather they keep them unresolved and just end it at roughly the same point as Book 6. It's not a huge loss if that's where the adaptations stop. If the last trilogy has to get adapted for the screen though (and I'd love to see it), it's probably better to just do it as a spinoff with a whole or at least mostly new cast. Make the timeskip something more reasonable like a century or so and get to play with a whole new universe as the overarching mysteries get tied up, instead of shoehorning some garbage into the last 45 minutes of Season 6.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 24, 2020

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

I highly doubt the show is ending because of Cas Anvar. Alex is no Amos or Naomi. The story can get reworked around him not being there.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
What’s the issue with the time skip? I feel like that’s a reasonable amount of time to build these insane ships and head on back for some a-conquerin’

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Jakabite posted:

What’s the issue with the time skip? I feel like that’s a reasonable amount of time to build these insane ships and head on back for some a-conquerin’

In the books there's a 30 year time skip at one point. That might be problematic.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

It's made clear that they're taking anti aging stuff so they're not actually 30 years older looks wise, which is clearly meant so you aren't picturing a whole bunch of 70 year olds, but with the same pretense I think the show would be fine there with some practical makeup.

It's the laconian ships etc that I think are the real big problem for TV. And the diamond planet, etc. And whatever happens when the magnetar fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nail Rat posted:

It's the laconian ships etc that I think are the real big problem for TV. And the diamond planet, etc. And whatever happens when the magnetar fires.

I think they can do anything space-wise with CG these days lol