Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What's this all about?

This is a point 'n' click adventure game about a sorcerer called Simon. Simon is a surly and sarcastic teenager who was accidentally sent into another dimension, went on some adventures and ended up saving the World several times over the span of four games. The franchise was originally poised to be a parody of other fantasy adventure games released in the '80s & '90s, the first two games in the series were hits for the company and spawned a few spin-offs and a line of merchandise. The third game was developed in 3D, suffered numerous setbacks, flopped and then eventually bankrupted the company. The franchise maintained a fairly large fanbase and was picked up by a German company who developed the fourth game in the series. A lot of changes were made to the game which made it almost unrecognisable apart from several recurring characters and some efforts in keeping up with continuity. Despite poor reviews, it sold fairly well and a fifth game was developed which ended up bankrupting the company soon after it's release.

Welcome to the fifth and final game in the series that was released in 2010. It's a continuation of the fourth game and we follow Simon after he has settled into his new life living with his girlfriend Alix. The reviews for this game were a lot more favourable but it wasn't enough to keep the company afloat. You can still find physical copies of the German version around but none were produced in the English language. The English version is now impossible to obtain digitally and even with a legitimate copy, there's no longer a way to activate the license as the site no longer works.

I have LP'd the previous four games which are now on the archive. They aren't required to watch, but if you'd like to see the series from start to finish you can find them here:

Simon 1 & 2: https://lparchive.org/Simon-the-Sorcerer-Series/
Simon 3D: https://lparchive.org/Simon-The-Sorcerer-3D/
Simon 4: https://lparchive.org/Simon-The-Sorcerer-4-Chaos-Happens/

LP Details

This will be a video LP and I aim to update at least once a week. I'm not sure if anyone knows this game well enough to spoil anything, but please use the appropriate tags if you want to talk about anything not seen in the latest updates.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Nov 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yay, more of this game series it is... uh... more of the same. :cripes:

Still it'll be nice to see how it all ends. Surely.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Poil posted:

Yay, more of this game series it is... uh... more of the same. :cripes:

Still it'll be nice to see how it all ends. Surely.

I have no idea how it all ends. I remember playing this when it was released but I gave up very early on. This is going to be as much of a surprise for me as it will be to everyone else.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Oh good. I commend you for keeping at it. It's such as shame the series ended as it did. Man, was the third game ever a colossal mis-step.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This screenshot pretty much sets the tone for Simon in this video. Simon 4 had some questionable dialogue, the writers of this game decide to ramp it up and it's only just begun. In this episode, we speak to a couple of new friends, open up a new area and start to solve some puzzles.

marshmallow creep posted:

Oh good. I commend you for keeping at it. It's such as shame the series ended as it did. Man, was the third game ever a colossal mis-step.

Thank you, I said that I would and I wouldn't be able to forgive myself if I didn't. The third game was definitely a mixed bag. The writing and story held up pretty well for the series, but the engine and gameplay really didn't do it any justice.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Uh... What this game is rhymes with dunking lad.

I think I'll pretend it did end after the first two games. But naturally I'll keep watching. :magical:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we really do go to a new area and Simon reunites with some old friends. I had zero sleep last night so I was feeling a little crabby recording this. I still have questions about just what the gently caress is going on in this game.

Poil posted:

Uh... What this game is rhymes with dunking lad.

I think I'll pretend it did end after the first two games. But naturally I'll keep watching. :magical:

I'm a lot more forgiving of 3D these days. I don't know whether it's because of time or because it's not Simon 4.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
I don't know what you folks are talking about; this game is great so far. :allears: I like the justification for the inventory limit in this part, and the more suspect dialogue/jokes is nothing but a plus for me.

Also the banner moment for this episode was well-deserved.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we speak to more people and steal more things. We also can't seem to escape the menace that has invaded the world as we know it. I felt like I came across as a little SJW during a moment with a crab, I was trying to be a little sarcastic but I lost my nerve.

Yapping Eevee posted:

I don't know what you folks are talking about; this game is great so far. :allears: I like the justification for the inventory limit in this part, and the more suspect dialogue/jokes is nothing but a plus for me.

Also the banner moment for this episode was well-deserved.

I'm enjoying this game more than 4 and it's barely just begun. So far it's been a big improvement.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We're almost at the end of the island, Simon is slowly working his way through each problem that has been raised.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode we finally escape the island and enter a new fresh hell. Welcome to chapter three! I'm actually starting to enjoy this game a little.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, we escape from Mole City and go in search of seamen.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What are the chances we get to see Simon getting punched or hurt?

Also game design protip: Don't make npcs you're stuck in long conversations with have slow and mildly irritating voices.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Poil posted:

What are the chances we get to see Simon getting punched or hurt?

Also game design protip: Don't make npcs you're stuck in long conversations with have slow and mildly irritating voices.

Woah, wasn't the kick to the crotch bad enough?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Simon makes a new friend and then proceeds to piss them off until they leave.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We have our crew, we have our ship and we have our stew!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to chapter four! It's business as usual but this time we're in space.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this episode, Simon manages to get everyone to their stations in an effort to speed the plot along. We also get to see this totally original ship design too...

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
:golfclap: Great speech there near the start, Simon. That thing afterwards, mind you... Probably deserved, but still suspect.

This game has been a real trip.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This episode is the end of the fourth chapter and the start of the fifth and final chapter. This has gone in a very unexpected direction but I'm interested in seeing how it plays out. Next weeks video will most likely be the final one of this LP, we are very close to the end.

Yapping Eevee posted:

:golfclap: Great speech there near the start, Simon. That thing afterwards, mind you... Probably deserved, but still suspect.

This game has been a real trip.

There have been several progressive situations in this game and they've mostly been handled well, there has been a few questionable moments.

I went into this game expecting more of the same from 4 but I've been pleasantly surprised at times.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

The final episode of this LP. I'm off work with the flu but I didn't want that to put me off finishing the game. The majority of this video is a ton of dialogue, thankfully. There are only twenty-eight minutes of gameplay footage, the rest is the credits and all the fun things that come along with it.

Thank you, everyone, for watching and being a part of this LP. The original Simon The Sorcerer LP was started on the 5th November 2013, after almost six years exactly this series has concluded. I don't want to put too much of a downer on things. The first three games were a great trip down memory lane, the fourth and fifth games weren't bad but they didn't hold the same regard for me. It was fun playing them though and sharing the experience.

If all goes well I will start The Feeble Files next week. If it doesn't go well, there are several dozen more popular\obscure adventure games on the pipeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
oh, don't worry about spilling stuff on that rug, nobody can tell the difference anyways