Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Rewatching this masterpiece with a friend.

https://giphy.com/gifs/therighteousgemstones-hbo-gemstones-the-righteous-kaZ5UtYxzqlbxE4Jhp

"It's 'Instagram,' too, you don't gotta shorten it. It's not that long a word."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Good news everyone, looks like they started working on season 2. Danny McBride posted on IG yesterday about getting to work on the second season.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Getting to work writing, or getting to work shooting?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

It's shooting soon, or possibly already. I work near one of the filming locations and production trucks have started popping back up this week.

Calls are also going out for extras. The only calls I know of so far are for twin babies and 1960s police officers.

Also loling at this post combo:

HanabaL03 posted:

Danny McBride posted on IG yesterday

Terra-da-loo! posted:

"It's 'Instagram,' too, you don't gotta shorten it. It's not that long a word."

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
If the creative team can come up with a song catchier than Misbehavin, they’ll go down as the greatest tv writing team in history.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Is this a good place to fantasize about ideas for season 2? I am so envious of the people who came up with this and now I want to write it too.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

need more goggins

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Need way more Keefe.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The horny high school girl needs to take the youngest son's virginity. Then he can get really distraught about it and she can eventually comfort him that she actually stuck it up her butt and since he was a virgin he didn't even realize it, so he's technically a virgin still.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And she can totally comfort him by telling him that not only is he still a virgin, but he totally wrecked her butthole, as well.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

petit choux posted:

And she can totally comfort him by telling him that not only is he still a virgin, but he totally wrecked her butthole, as well.

Personally I don’t think it would be good or funny for a character to have anal sex with a teenager.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

dot nancy is a righteous young spirit and i hope kevin does not have sex with her. also i'm pretty sure she's underage

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Henchman of Santa posted:

Personally I don’t think it would be good or funny for a character to have anal sex with a teenager.

You had sure better not watch the final episode of season one of this righteous gemstones series, then.

and besides these boys would never do anything like that. Righteous is their middle name.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

petit choux posted:

You had sure better not watch the final episode of season one of this righteous gemstones series, then.

and besides these boys would never do anything like that. Righteous is their middle name.

that was her professor not her high school teacher

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

that was her professor not her high school teacher

Actually I forgot about that one. Yeah, that was a pretty bad one too.

And how the gently caress does Jesse not even get hospitalized after his wife shoots his taint off?

Swollen Member
Aug 4, 2019

You know you want it...
At this point, I'm just assuming that the local authorities are used to dealing with the Gemstone kids, and routinely takes bribes from Papa Gemstone to keep the brats out of the press. I'm sure a little accident on their shooting range wouldn't upset the Popo too much - as long as the damage is non-lethal and within the family.

Which could make Scotty's death and subsequent discovery a few miles within Castle Gemstone a major plot point in season 2. Or maybe not; the writers, to their credit, do try never to go the obvious way.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
It's the biggest failure of my life that I'm not named Uncle Baby Crimedog

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Who else misbehavin in 2020?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

a new study bible! posted:

Who else misbehavin in 2020?

Season 2 should have characters wearing masks and social distancing but never acknowledging it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

In show news, the season is delayed but they’re hoping to do a Christmas special in the meantime.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
They should come up with some ridiculous reason to have every character in a different location and do the episode entirely via zoom, FaceTime, etc.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

withak posted:

They should come up with some ridiculous reason to have every character in a different location and do the episode entirely via zoom, FaceTime, etc.

That's already played out and it's never good.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Gimme a Succession/Gemstones crossover

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Capntastic posted:

Season 2 should have characters wearing masks and social distancing but never acknowledging it

The Gemstone congregation seems more like the sort of crowd to protest that masks and distancing violate their civil rights.

It would be funny if the Gemstones then all wore masks privately.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Propaganda Machine posted:

The Gemstone congregation seems more like the sort of crowd to protest that masks and distancing violate their civil rights.

It would be funny if the Gemstones then all wore masks privately.

I dunno, they seem pretty adaptable in general; it's part of their mercenary nature. They'd rail about it, sure, but they would also be pushing their cutting-edge social distancing teleservices, outdoor services, whatever it took.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
One of the things I like about Righteous Gemstones is that it's a very focused satire that has commentary on broader Protestant America without descending into obnoxious mockery of and general disdain for Christianity or middle America as a whole, and turning into something to take potshots at people who don't wear masks is like the definition of giving up something valuable to get something cheap.

"The Righteous Gemstones refuse to wear masks and get COVID-19" is a 2020 SNL sketch that nobody would actually laugh at but would be posted a zillion times on Twitter with comments like "truth!" or "Darwin at work!" by people who use the phrase "flyover states" unironically and get a panic attack when they see a homeless person with a sign standing at an intersection. It's exactly the kind of thing Danny McBride's entire career has been a conspicuous attempt at avoiding if not actively fighting against.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

One of the things I like about Righteous Gemstones is that it's a very focused satire that has commentary on broader Protestant America without descending into obnoxious mockery of and general disdain for Christianity or middle America as a whole, and turning into something to take potshots at people who don't wear masks is like the definition of giving up something valuable to get something cheap.

"The Righteous Gemstones refuse to wear masks and get COVID-19" is a 2020 SNL sketch that nobody would actually laugh at but would be posted a zillion times on Twitter with comments like "truth!" or "Darwin at work!" by people who use the phrase "flyover states" unironically and get a panic attack when they see a homeless person with a sign standing at an intersection. It's exactly the kind of thing Danny McBride's entire career has been a conspicuous attempt at avoiding if not actively fighting against.

Well said.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Edi Patterson's character Judy telling the story of her college professor and "first love" to her fiance in the restaurant may be one of the funniest monologues I've ever heard in my life. I was dying. It just kept going and getting worse.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah it's starts out and you are like "oh no" and then it just flips and gets worse and worse

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

Sleeveless posted:

Lmao what? Wanting people to wear masks means you hate homeless people? This post is suspiciously close to defending non-mask-wearing.

Also mocking christians, especially the extremely destructive and horrible evangelical megachurch variety, is cool and good. Danny McBride is funny enough that any variation of the Gemstones wearing/not wearing masks is likely to be funny.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Zartosht posted:

Lmao what? Wanting people to wear masks means you hate homeless people? This post is suspiciously close to defending non-mask-wearing.

Also mocking christians, especially the extremely destructive and horrible evangelical megachurch variety, is cool and good. Danny McBride is funny enough that any variation of the Gemstones wearing/not wearing masks is likely to be funny.

This show is better than going for easy dunks that get dated incredibly rapidly.

I like that they’re hosed up far more from their abusive family dynamics and wealth than religion. Getting the plot and jokes from the characters instead of Ricky Gervais style well-trodden religious gags makes for a much more complex and better show. It’s not like it totally shies away from the religious aspect of things, either, but it doesn’t make it all that the show is about.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I found the whole thing on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfR_o69PCLQ

Its so funny. Its just devastatingly funny.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I think the point being made was more that Danny McBride's ouvre is deeply critical of a bunch of different types of people, but it's very specific in the targets in a way that some of the stuff being pitched is not, the "SNL sketch" level stuff is more "haw haw Southerners don't wear masks" or "Christianity is stupid" than Righteous Gemstones is towards "flyover states" or Christians.

It would be really easy for any of his HBO shows to devolve into just making fun of how dumb [athletes/Southerners/middle-managers in schools/Christians] are, which let's be honest, most of the Hot Takes and Funny Jokes about COVID have been, which boil down to "man gently caress all of the stupid people in [red state], why can't we just saw Florida off into the ocean or sell Oklahoma back or otherwise just be free of these meddlesome flyover states" which on an electoral college level sure, I get the impulse.

I also grew up in one of those red states (as did McBride, as did Jody Hill, as did a really large portion of America), and even if I no longer live there and don't regret moving at all, none of those states are monoliths, and even in some of the shittiest ones there are tons of good people who don't sort of adhere to the stereotypes of flyover state chuds or whatever else.

This got away from me but in general, but I have lived in Brooklyn most of my adult life at this point and there are a lot of Enlightened Progressives here who talk about the other states I've lived in as if they're a uniform hellscape of dumbass Covid-denier faith healing hillbilly cannibals on the basis of [election result or law passed by the state] and politely ignore that we're all like 15 minutes away from Staten Island, which voted stronger for Trump than 40 or so states. The cross-section of "just automatically assumes anyone from Georgia/Florida/the Carolinas is a Klan member" and "gets real uncomfortable around homeless people" is pretty strong too, so I see where the connection was made.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Zartosht posted:

That is not what they were saying at all.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The point is that a big part of the show's charm is that it's mocks Mega churches, the south etc. with a charm that would be lost if they just went for all of the low hanging fruit and treated everything with pure disdain. There's plenty of other stuff out there for that. TRG is not that show.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Alright, I mostly apologize for the snarky masks joke. I'm not too familiar with Danny McBride and his thing. I liked Vice Principals and Walton Goggins was a loving revelation and I'm so glad he's kicking it with this program. The most I truly know about the South is from living in St. Louis as a young kid, and I generally agree that a stupid masks joke would cheapen the show. Wasn't being too serious, just trying to roll with the punches.

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

King of Kings Ozysandwich am I. If any want to know how great I am and where I lie, let him outdo me in my work.

veni veni veni posted:

The point is that a big part of the show's charm is that it's mocks Mega churches, the south etc. with a charm that would be lost if they just went for all of the low hanging fruit and treated everything with pure disdain. There's plenty of other stuff out there for that. TRG is not that show.

Actually the charm comes from having very well developed, complex characters portrayed by talented actors. Having a plotline about covid would not erase this. It's no more low-hanging fruit than stuff like Judy being a repressed sex weirdo, a stereotype about southern christian girls that is often the subject of lovely low-effort snl or gervais style jokes, but which Edi Patterson makes into something pretty amazing. I have no doubt they could do the same with mask stuff.

It's really weird to single this out as an unapproachable topic, which is what makes me think some posters might actually just think it's not a bad thing worth criticizing.

Edge & Christian posted:

I think the point being made was more that Danny McBride's ouvre is deeply critical of a bunch of different types of people, but it's very specific in the targets in a way that some of the stuff being pitched is not, the "SNL sketch" level stuff is more "haw haw Southerners don't wear masks" or "Christianity is stupid" than Righteous Gemstones is towards "flyover states" or Christians.

It would be really easy for any of his HBO shows to devolve into just making fun of how dumb [athletes/Southerners/middle-managers in schools/Christians] are, which let's be honest, most of the Hot Takes and Funny Jokes about COVID have been, which boil down to "man gently caress all of the stupid people in [red state], why can't we just saw Florida off into the ocean or sell Oklahoma back or otherwise just be free of these meddlesome flyover states" which on an electoral college level sure, I get the impulse.

I also grew up in one of those red states (as did McBride, as did Jody Hill, as did a really large portion of America), and even if I no longer live there and don't regret moving at all, none of those states are monoliths, and even in some of the shittiest ones there are tons of good people who don't sort of adhere to the stereotypes of flyover state chuds or whatever else.

This got away from me but in general, but I have lived in Brooklyn most of my adult life at this point and there are a lot of Enlightened Progressives here who talk about the other states I've lived in as if they're a uniform hellscape of dumbass Covid-denier faith healing hillbilly cannibals on the basis of [election result or law passed by the state] and politely ignore that we're all like 15 minutes away from Staten Island, which voted stronger for Trump than 40 or so states. The cross-section of "just automatically assumes anyone from Georgia/Florida/the Carolinas is a Klan member" and "gets real uncomfortable around homeless people" is pretty strong too, so I see where the connection was made.

I mean you're right about rich liberals often being hypcrites about this stuff, but that doesn't erase the bad stuff. Having the Gemstones preach against masks would still be specific imo. It's not like the show has ever actually focused on the congregation all that much.

Also I'm from kentucky and still live here so i'll talk whatever poo poo i like about southern protestant nonsense.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

https://youtu.be/R-znj7Uf9Oo

I never noticed before but the band has like 4 loving tambourines

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Zartosht posted:

At best it would be a quick throw away joke not worth doing. You are the type of people his post was aimed at, and for good reason. That's not good smart comedy, its cheap laughs and low hanging fruit for a generation of easily led idiots. Which makes it funny given your desire to mock christians.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Aug 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeremiah Flintwick
Jan 14, 2010

ChesterJT posted:

At best it would be a quick throw away joke not worth doing. You are the type of people his post was aimed at, and for good reason. That's not good smart comedy, its cheap laughs and low hanging fruit for a generation of easily led idiots. Which makes it funny given your desire to mock christians.

Did you read my subsequent post?

Again, a vague concept like "mocking christians" is not going to magically erase Danny McBride's worrying ability.

And "generation of easily led idiots?" Seriously? gently caress off you boomer piece of poo poo.