Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Awesome, did you get those off the HBO shop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WonkyBob posted:

Had a delivery this morning.

I must have these.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Awesome, did you get those off the HBO shop?

It's part of the Waxwork Gemstones soundtrack. I think it's sold out on the WW site but found a shop in Germany that has it in stock.

https://www.hhv.de/shop/en/item/joseph-stephens-ost-the-righteous-gemstones-862198

Always worth checking Discogs too (https://www.discogs.com/release/20065438-Joseph-Stephens-The-Righteous-Gemstones-Original-Televesion-Series-Soundtrack)

Jose Oquendo posted:

I must have these.

It's a flipper with one version per side. Love the "ring wear" on the older singles cover.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T9IiO0ZLOM

Little extra god squad for ya

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Adam Devine's Southern accent is so terrible, and I love it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

*Women not allowed

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jody Hill directed this week's (excellent) episode of Peacemaker.

Also, Jody Hill is Levi! I had no idea.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Isn't the cute Cinnabon girl from Observe and Report his wife?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Isn't the cute Cinnabon girl from Observe and Report his wife?

I think so. Jody Hill is also the insane karate buddy of McBride's character in The Foot Fist Way.

If you haven't seen that movie, check it out. It's on Hulu right now. Jody Hill's first movie and McBride's second acting role, and he was a writer on the movie too.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 21, 2022

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

They were married but I think they got divorced

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Danny McDivorcée

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, Danny McBride and Jody Hill used to be married??

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://youtu.be/sBSklMxUKHY

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Well, time to re-watch that.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m watching Observe & Report for this first time and I’m only 10 minutes into it and it’s legitimately jarring how much Seth Rogen is just doing a Danny McBride character

Was McBride supposed to play the lead but the studio made them use Seth Rogen or something?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Tbh I never really thought about that and although you are probably right in that he's very much a DM character (no idea if he was actually supposed to play him. I doubt it. Those guys were all pretty tight at the time so my guess is that it was written for Rogen). I think Mcbride playing that character would have changed the entire tone of the movie. Danny Mcbride can get away with anything cause he is so goofy and you just write it off. Seth Rogen is loving hilarious in Observe and Report, but also sort of disturbing which I think is kind of what makes that whole movie good. I think the whole reputation that movie has for being weirdly dark hinges on Rogen's performance more than anything and that's the main reason it stands out. If Mcbride had played him I think it would be less of a low key cult classic and more in the realm of "Your Highness" or something. I think Mcbride could have even gotten away with the date rape scene and no one would have batted an eye at it. But with Rogen it was hilarious and creepy and wrong at the same time and the whole movie is sort of like that. DM is just too charismatic for that character.

E: Tldr I think if McBride played him people would have liked him too much and the movie would have ultimately been worse for it.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Jan 22, 2022

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

maybe it's as simple as - rogen as the MC is a bigger draw for a movie theater audience than mcbride

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
At that time for sure. That was around 2008 right?

That movie is so so good.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Doctor Jeep posted:

maybe it's as simple as - rogen as the MC is a bigger draw for a movie theater audience than mcbride

I assumed it would be this. Knocked Up, Superbad, and Pineapple Express were all very popular so getting him in as the lead made total sense.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

aperfectcirclefan posted:

At that time for sure. That was around 2008 right?

That movie is so so good.

2009, so eastbound and down wasn't even really a thing yet. So yeah Mcbride probably wasn't in a position for a starring role at the time. I think at that point he had just played funny side characters in Tropic Thunder and Pineapple Express. I still think Rogen was perfect for that part though.

And yeah it's really good. Anyone who likes these shows should watch Observe and Report asap.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I should give it another try with that mindset, I could never get my head around how disjointed it felt when I saw it back in the theaters.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

It was the better counterpart to Paul Blart.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

yeah i don't think the studio would've gone for mcbride leading at that point even if it was something they had wanted to do

speaking of mcbride as a lead i still think Your Highness is funny as poo poo

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Danny McBride didn’t invent the concept of the overconfident sleazebag character, he’s just really good at it.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EL BROMANCE posted:

I should give it another try with that mindset, I could never get my head around how disjointed it felt when I saw it back in the theaters.

I should try that too. I didn’t like it then but I was more in the mood for a stoner comedy at the time. I have a feeling I might better appreciate it now.

Rewatched Vice Principals because I needed some Walton Goggins in my life and I forgot how much I loved that show and Messir Goggins. How is he so drat good at every role? Need more Uncle Baby Billy!

qirex posted:

Danny McBride didn’t invent the concept of the overconfident sleazebag character, he’s just really good at it.
He really is… yet somehow I still love him too. Whole cast of Gemstones is usually loving

Side note: that scene where Jason Schwartzman meeting that nosy neighbour telling him he can’t smoke on the porch of his rented house. On a zoom call for work last week and chatted with someone living in the southern US. I had no idea about Home Owners Association existing and how they work. She watched that scene and said while it’s exaggerated that it’s not that far off. Said they got the “noisily getting in your business with a pleasant tone and a smile” is 100% accurate as well as condescending remarks made about where you are from. She later watched a few season 1 episodes and said it perfectly captured the Carolinas. Made me laugh.I’d still be so irritated if some rando came up to my house and told me I couldn’t smoke and then demanded we had small talk.

“gently caress me. I hate the South.”

Edit: corrected a weird phone autocorrect

DogsInSpace! fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 23, 2022

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DogsInSpace! posted:

Side note: that scene where Jason Schwartzman meeting that nosy neighbour telling him he can’t smoke on the porch of his rented house. On a zoom call for work last week and chatted with someone living in the southern US. I had no idea about Home Owners Association existing and how they work. She watched that scene and said while it’s exaggerated that it’s not that far off. Said they got the “noisily getting in your business with a pleasant tone and a smile” is 100% accurate as well as condescending remarks made about where you are from. She later watched a few season 1 episodes and said it perfectly captured the Carolinas. Made me laugh.I’d still be so irritated if some rando came up to my house and told me I couldn’t smoke and then demanded we had small talk.

for as superficially nice that the dog-walking guy was being, he was very much telling thaniel to watch himself. he even had to spell it out for thaniel, and the audience, who may not have picked up on the vibe otherwise. wealthy white southerners are very good at polite condescension - you see similar social keeping and passive aggression in the upper midwest and "minnesota nice", but southerners have a harder edge towards telling you to gently caress off with a smile. the interactions between eli and the other, lesser pastors getting edged out by the gemstones in season 1 are just dripping with this thinly veiled aggression (up until eli throws a potato through the window and seasons responds by sending some thugs to bust up the place). the stereotypical statement is "bless your heart", which can be a statement of sincere empathy, or could mean something like "lmao you outrageous dumbass"

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
“Bless your heart” in a sweet yet condescending tone is an integral part of the Southern experience.

It was a very dumb sight gag but I LMAO in the last episode when Judy pulled out the huge magnifying glass when they’re looking at Eli’s phone for digital secrets.

aperfectcirclefan
Nov 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
This episode was amazing looking. They have a great cinematographer this year.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
A+ episode

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, this episode was something else, goddamn. I actually gasped when Eli had Kelvin in the thumb hold.

Also, I loved that it used literally my top two favourite 80s songs, Dance Hall Days and Send Me an Angel. Great stuff.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Same type of bmw in this and in vice principals

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Well now the only Halloween costume I ever want to do for the rest of my life is a pink velvet romper with a cumberbund.

MokBa fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 24, 2022

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

It seems unfair that HBO has both this and Succession and they're both ridiculously good.

Also, preview for the next episode shows it's another flashback episode!!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, this episode was something else, goddamn. I actually gasped when Eli had Kelvin in the thumb hold.

Also, I loved that it used literally my top two favourite 80s songs, Dance Hall Days and Send Me an Angel. Great stuff.

The soundtrack is incredible, both song choices and original songs. :allears:

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

God drat this show is so much fun.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 24, 2022

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I’m with you there, but that song during the credits was creepy as gently caress.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Holy poo poo what an amazing episode. Everything about the baptism party was just A+ top notch in every way.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Pumped for the early 90s flashback episode

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Another amazing episode and next weeks looks amazing as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Low energy emo Eli