Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Succession is great and worth it if you like watching horrible people be horrible to each other and others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:
Young Jesse down on all fours, smiling, looking at a donkeys dick had me in tears. Had to pause the episode to catch my breath.

How on Earth did they convince John Goodman to be on this show? He’s perfect for his role.

Edit: also we are supposed to imply that Baby Billy had something to do with his sisters death after that episode, or am I the only one who thought that?

HanabaL03 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Sep 16, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
"Watching Jesse get punished makes my bird twitch"

holy poo poo, wow

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

HanabaL03 posted:

Young Jesse down on all fours, smiling, looking at a donkeys dick had me in tears. Had to pause the episode to catch my breath.

How on Earth did they convince John Goodman to be on this show? He’s perfect for his role.

Edit: also we are supposed to imply that Baby Billy had something to do with his sisters death after that episode, or am I the only one who thought that?

I'm sure it was very difficult to convince the long time comedic actor John Goodman to play a major role in an HBO comedy show.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

HanabaL03 posted:

I thought she had cancer or something like that. I thought she died relatively recently too, so I don’t think there’s supposed to be anything suspicious going on, but who knows.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

teen witch posted:

ok, I loving love this show - though I’ve heard comparisons to Succession, and I need something to binge until next Sunday, is it worth it?

I’ve caught the ending of succession a few times while waiting for this show to start and holy poo poo does that show suck

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

wizardofloneliness posted:

I thought she had cancer or something like that. I thought she died relatively recently too, so I don’t think there’s supposed to be anything suspicious going on, but who knows.

Has kelvin ever mentioned his mother? Judy and Jessie have a bunch

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

HBO posted "Misbehavin'" on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-znj7Uf9Oo

I also demand we see more flashbacks, because it means we'll see more Jennifer Nettles and she's got some acting chops to go along with those pipes.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Terror Sweat posted:

I’ve caught the ending of succession a few times while waiting for this show to start and holy poo poo does that show suck

Nah Succession owns

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

Troy Queef posted:

HBO posted "Misbehavin'" on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-znj7Uf9Oo

I also demand we see more flashbacks, because it means we'll see more Jennifer Nettles and she's got some acting chops to go along with those pipes.

Genius.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

SlipkPIe posted:

Nah Succession owns

Succession totally owns. When you realize it's a black comedy, everything makes sense.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

HanabaL03 posted:

Apparently like this:

John Goodman posted:

My agent sent me the script and they told me it was Danny McBride, and I read it and, oddly enough, I’d just lost the Roseanne job about two days before this. So I said, “Well, yeah. Now I got time, so let’s go.” I always thought Danny was funny and he had something going on. His characters are just braggadocio. They are weak men, but they bluster to get by.

[quote]Edit: also we are supposed to imply that Baby Billy had something to do with his sisters death after that episode, or am I the only one who thought that?[/url]I assume this will get explored more, but my guess would be less "he literally caused her death" and more "his push to do the tour leads to a series of events where she dies and everyone blames Baby Billy more on the level of "if she wasn't in Birmingham with you on that tour..." more than "you gave her poisoned prenatal vitamins/you killed her in a drunk driving accident".

Festering indirect resentment seems more like how they're treating everything as opposed to "you literally murdered my [wife/mother]", though I also enjoy how often the McBride/Hill/Green shows subvert my expectations, so who knows? Maybe Baby Billy convinced Jesse to give her a Perfectplex and it killed her.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Troy Queef posted:

Put this song on iTunes, HBO.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

drat, Walton Goggins knocked that out of the loving park.

he's been a joy to watch since I first saw him in The Shield

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Doctor Jeep posted:

he's been a joy to watch since I first saw him in The Shield

I knew Goggins could do comedy the first time I heard the phrase 'Cleetus Van Damme"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

I really liked this episode, but that's because I love John Goodman and Walton Goggins. Although young Goodman was kind of creepy looking, his face was so smooth. Apparently this was an extra episode that they hadn't originally planned for and this seemed to be the best place to put it. I think my favorite line was "It makes my bird twitch", which is definitely something Judy would say.

It was shockingly profane.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like putting this episode where it was in the order was done in no small part to address the fact that Walton Goggins and John Goodman's characters are supposed to be the same age

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Edge & Christian posted:

Apparently like this:

[quote]Edit: also we are supposed to imply that Baby Billy had something to do with his sisters death after that episode, or am I the only one who thought that?[/url]I assume this will get explored more, but my guess would be less "he literally caused her death" and more "his push to do the tour leads to a series of events where she dies and everyone blames Baby Billy more on the level of "if she wasn't in Birmingham with you on that tour..." more than "you gave her poisoned prenatal vitamins/you killed her in a drunk driving accident".

Festering indirect resentment seems more like how they're treating everything as opposed to "you literally murdered my [wife/mother]", though I also enjoy how often the McBride/Hill/Green shows subvert my expectations, so who knows? Maybe Baby Billy convinced Jesse to give her a Perfectplex and it killed her.

I found the cinematography in the Misbehaving scene kind of ominous - something about a pregnant woman tapdancing on stage put me on edge. The closeups of their feet just made me think about them being close to the edge of the stage and her slipping. I think young Danny McBride wishing she has an accident to end the pregnancy also kind of foreshadows some sort of accident rather than murder or simply death by childbirth.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Milo and POTUS posted:

It was shockingly profane.

It was probably up there with "I've been eating so much pussy I'm making GBS threads clits" from Veep.

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~
I’ve had Misbehavin’ stuck in my head all day long. loving hell.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

beefart posted:

it's so loving catchy.

pogothemonkey0 posted:

I found the cinematography in the Misbehaving scene kind of ominous - something about a pregnant woman tapdancing on stage put me on edge. The closeups of their feet just made me think about them being close to the edge of the stage and her slipping. I think young Danny McBride wishing she has an accident to end the pregnancy also kind of foreshadows some sort of accident rather than murder or simply death by childbirth.

ya with these kinda shows it could be genuine death flags or them just loving with the audience and the entire point is to make you realize you're thinking about how this character could totally plausibly do something so horrible even if he doesn't actually do it.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Uncle Baby Billy is just an absurd thing to call a grown man.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

beefart posted:

I’ve been running ‘round the office with a pickle in my mouth

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Guze posted:

I take it you haven't spent much time in the South.

I knew multiple Rusty's, one Bubba, many adults who still referred to their fathers as "Daddy," one "Pappy," and various others I can't recall that you think might be parody but were all too real.

McBride/DGG do the best uncanny valley of TV shows set in the South where it's so close to being real, just slightly exaggerated and refracted to be funnier and more hosed up.

edit: Goggins is a national treasure and I'm so glad he got hooked up with McBride.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 16, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought it was implied that the mother died somewhat recently? Has Adam Devine's character talked about knowing her? I don't remember.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
How do we go about getting Goggins on all of the shows?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Troy Queef posted:

Is that Molly Rankin from Alvvays @ 1:33? it looks exactly like her.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Solkanar512 posted:

It was probably up there with "I've been eating so much pussy I'm making GBS threads clits" from Veep.

Hahaha oh my god I thought the exact same thing. I even racked my brain trying to remember what the previous thing I'd said that about was.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

withak posted:

How do we go about getting Goggins on all of the shows?

He seems to be doing it well enough already (good thing)

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I thought it was implied that the mother died somewhat recently? Has Adam Devine's character talked about knowing her? I don't remember.

I could've sworn they showed a gravestone or something for her that said 2017, but I can't recall exactly when. But that is the impression I had, that she had died relatively recently and Eli is still trying to deal with her being gone.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guze posted:

no man it's such an accurate thing.

Like, I don't think people understand how very accurate this all is not just with the megachurch leaders but their flocks and poo poo too.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

I could've sworn they showed a gravestone or something for her that said 2017, but I can't recall exactly when. But that is the impression I had, that she had died relatively recently and Eli is still trying to deal with her being gone.
Huh, yeah. Pilot's got a death date of 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I hope it was a 4th of July fireworks related death.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

sexpig by night posted:

no man it's such an accurate thing.

Like, I don't think people understand how very accurate this all is not just with the megachurch leaders but their flocks and poo poo too.

Totally.

While spelled slightly differently, I meant to mention I also know an actual "Aimee-Lee"

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That was a really, really good episode of a good show

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

I know a couple where the guy is named Bobby, the woman is named Billie, and their baby son was named (and I am not loving kidding here) Billy Bob.

Hill and McBride aren't making this poo poo up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edge & Christian posted:

Huh, yeah. Pilot's got a death date of 2018

Although that birthdate doesn't match up with what we were told in this episode, which took place in 1989, where they said she was in her 40s.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The South stuff rings true.

I dunno if that rich guy's daughter character is coming back, but I'll tell you, everyone in the South knows you don't trust male youth pastors with your daughters.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Although that birthdate doesn't match up with what we were told in this episode, which took place in 1989, where they said she was in her 40s.
Skimming through the first few episodes, there's a prayer card in Baby Billy's home with the same birth date but the death date is conspicuously blocked in the shot.

I don't know if this is just people (myself included) jumping to conclusions/theorycrafting or if they're deliberately playing with expectations; on one hand a lot of stuff with Eli makes it seem like her death is new and he's reeling, but both in the show and in interviews they're implying/outright saying that there's been a longterm rot/disintegration of the family due to Aimee-Leigh's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Nice, Skyler Gisondo getting some work after Santa Clarita Diet.