Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

painynumbs
Apr 1, 2011
I love the music in this show and I tried to find that “Glory to the King” song that played in the first episode while they were driving through the compound back to their homes. Can’t find poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Did I misunderstand what you are saying or did you not even read my post?

The difference with succession vs. ballers or entourage is that succession isn't meant to be aspirational or glorify carefree wealth. You're not supposed to sympathize with anyone and if you do it's only within the context of the other, somehow worse characters in the universe. The company the entire show is centered around is a not at all subtle Fox News parody. It's a black comedy.

It's very well done and extremely tongue in cheek if you're watching it right. Being familiar with Manhattan and some level of exposure to real world versions of the caricatures depicted on the show helps but isn't necessary. Everyone is a smart, well put together slimeball playing their angle for personal financial and careerist gain. It's detestable, relatable fun.

KingNastidon fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 22, 2019

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

KingNastidon posted:

The difference with succession vs. ballers or entourage is that succession isn't meant to be aspirational or glorify carefree wealth. You're not supposed to sympathize with anyone and if you do it's only within the context of the other, somehow worse characters in the universe. The company the entire show is centered around is a not at all subtle Fox News parody. It's a black comedy.

It's very well done and extremely tongue in cheek if you're watching it right. Being familiar with Manhattan and some level of exposure to real world versions of the caricatures depicted on the show helps but isn't necessary. Everyone is a smart, well put together slimeball playing their angle for personal financial and careerist gain. It's detestable, relatable fun.

Thank you.

I'll give it a shot.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Thank you.

I'll give it a shot.

If you were on the fence about class war, Succession will rocket you into a position real fast.

I worked in the Hamptons for two year and on Long Island most of my life, these types are real and like straight up Body Snatchers soulless. They look and talk like a human but there’s nothing there behind that intricately manicured veneer. Succession’s brutal realism is a huge strength, though it’s a bleak comedy instead of a black comedy.

Anyway, everyone should watch the documentary Marjoe if you like the Righteous Gemstones.

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qNd2j62xNQ

teen witch fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 22, 2019

General Probe
Dec 28, 2004
Has this been done before?
Soiled Meat
Cool mushroom tip :flaccid:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why the gently caress you gonna shave your pussy?

So I can surf faster

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

“I’m gonna make those cheeks red”

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

^burtle posted:

That whole scene was great. He bought her a loving soda stream because she was envious of her brother's Coke Freestyle machine.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

edi patterson knocks it out of the park again she is simply undefeated

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

"No! My soda machine gift!" Sometimes the way the lines are delivered is enough to get a huge laugh out of me.

I like that Jackie Judy is getting more stuff to do. Her flipping out repeatedly during the episode was incredible.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Sep 23, 2019

Grenrow
Apr 11, 2016

LadyPictureShow posted:

"No! My soda machine gift!" Sometimes the way the lines are delivered is enough to get a huge laugh out of me.

Yeah, I was wondering how many of these lines are improv and how many are written. Like car pranks a couple episodes ago. The phrasing is always so perfect for the exact kind of characters they are.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

that dance scene was legitimately kind of moving. Judy is a psycho but really how much of it is her family’s unrelenting making GBS threads on her? she seems legitimately talented

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Gideon’s sweater or whatever in this episode was rad as heck. Any idea where to buy?

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Edi Patterson is so loving funny

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Jimmy's Misadventures at your local KOA campground.

So the impression I'm getting at this point is that Elijah is trying to keep Judy out of the limelight cause it reminds him too much of his dead wife? Maybe whatever led to Aimee-Leigh's death was due to the family business or keeping the business successful and running?

Also Baby Billy's wife was fun in this episode "I know Twinkle, Twinkle and Toxic"

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
Best part was Keefe walking out of the house eating a slice of loving cheese. No idea how you can manage to make eating a slice of cheese hilarious but they did it, now.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
drat, Walton Goggins is a great dancer

mr. unhsib fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Sep 23, 2019

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That guy getting so excited about the coins cracked me up

HanabaL03
Nov 12, 2003

We're spread, we're spread, we're spreading our.... wings! :v:

romanowski posted:

edi patterson knocks it out of the park again she is simply undefeated

This episode had me laughing more than any of the others. Edi Patterson is going to be a big time star soon.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
She's so loving funny. Probably the funniest cast member and that's saying a -lot-

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i guess we have did it

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

^burtle posted:

It fits with young Judy's line last week that she liked to see Jesse get punished because it "makes my bird twitch".

Also, the title of the episode comes from First Samuel:

"Now the sons of Eli were worthless men: they did not know the Lord".

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Gotta get me some tamps, I’m gushin’

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

teen witch posted:

Gotta get me some tamps, I’m gushin’

Edi Patterson has all the 'I just did a spit take' lines. I love it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Trying out Succession and this is good but goddamn I hate these people so much I almost can't do it lol.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm sure Succession is great but I'm mainlining too much reality to watch 1%ers complain about 1%ing.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

^burtle posted:

I'm sure Succession is great but I'm mainlining too much reality to watch 1%ers complain about 1%ing.

They're not complaining. They are just 0.00001%ing and it's loving hilarious.

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
judy gets some of the best lines, "what am i supposed to do, just stand in the corner and jack myself like a fuckin' monster?"

she really snarls when she swears, its good

Brolander fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Sep 24, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Brolander posted:

judy gets some of the best lines, "what am i supposed to do, just stand in the corner and jack myself like a fuckin' monster?"

she really snarls when she swears, its good

I'm just really getting into Vice Principals now, but holy poo poo, she's so good at playing that type of unhinged-and-barely-kept-together, all over the place character.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I’m gonna go wait in the car. You stay here and make yourself cum.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I'm just really getting into Vice Principals now, but holy poo poo, she's so good at playing that type of unhinged-and-barely-kept-together, all over the place character.

She is a good actor. I constantly catch myself wanting to reach through the screen to shake her and yell "why are you acting like an 11 year old? grow up"

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
That moment when Eli is watching his daughter dance and is simultaneously proud and regretful is such a powerful and subtle bit of acting, John Goodman is so loving good (man). That little smile, and then his face falling after, almost brought tears to my eyes.

Eli Gemstone is such a great character to watch. I get the feeling that he just doesn't want to be here - he's visibly miserable at all times, perpetually fuming with barely suppressed rage, sad, and full of increasingly obvious regret. He feels trapped, and it's in a cage he built himself, and he knows it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I have a weird feeling that they'll kill off Eli soon enough. Apparently, Danny McBride wants this show to go for as long as possible, longer than anything he's done before (Eb&D was 4 seasons, fyi).

I think it'll be like an Anthony Hopkins/Ed Harris thing that Westworld has where they'll use they're AAA names less and less as the show goes on. Plus, Goodman already has The Connors to do.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I have a weird feeling that they'll kill off Eli soon enough. Apparently, Danny McBride wants this show to go for as long as possible, longer than anything he's done before (Eb&D was 4 seasons, fyi).

I think it'll be like an Anthony Hopkins/Ed Harris thing that Westworld has where they'll use they're AAA names less and less as the show goes on. Plus, Goodman already has The Connors to do.

On Treme Goodman's character commits suicide in the last episode of the first season, so he's done this before for HBO, lending his star power to kickstart a show. I couldn't really watch Treme without him.

I started watching because the Chapo Trap House podcast recommended it so highly on their episode about Jerry Falwell, and the decline of the Falwell empire has been swift since he died and left various parts of his legacy to his failsons.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Yeah, I was thinking about that and I wouldn't be too surprised if something along that line happened. Much as I love Goodman (and Walton Goggins), I think Edi Patterson is the show's MVP right now. She's been great the whole season but this past episode had so many stellar Judy moments.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I feel like Goodman is in the show so little that they could get away with him also working on another show. He doesn't have to be a main character. He shows up to be an authority figure but it's mostly about the interactions of the three siblings.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Mister Bates posted:

Eli Gemstone is such a great character to watch. I get the feeling that he just doesn't want to be here - he's visibly miserable at all times, perpetually fuming with barely suppressed rage, sad, and full of increasingly obvious regret. He feels trapped, and it's in a cage he built himself, and he knows it.

In a way, hes a tragic figure, and I think you can see echoes of that in the flashback episode, because I think when he started his ministry, he was sincere about it, but he's given into the temptations of wealth and prestige and power. He never really got to know his kids, never really dealt with them other than as a disciplinarian, and now he doesn't know how to deal with them, and the fact that they're disappointments to him, while his kids are desperate for his approval. And he's seeing his son replicate this whole family dynamic with his grandkids.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I still keep thinking back to "that shirt isn't as long as you think it is" and cracking up.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Judy rules and is funny as hell, but I must admit I'm a little confused by the sheer degree of gushing about her itt. Seems a bit hyperbolic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Judy rules and is funny as hell, but I must admit I'm a little confused by the sheer degree of gushing about her itt. Seems a bit hyperbolic.

Well, I know that I was already familiar with everyone else, aside from maybe the guy who plays BJ, and this is the first time I'd ever seen her in anything. Now I'm going through Vice Principals during the week, which she's also in.

Or she's great anyway and no one needs to defend themselves for realizing that :shrug:

EDIT: Totally separate, but holy poo poo, that Mr Grieves cover at the end. Loved it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1k6dD3WAP0

The original:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVPPH9sS9mA

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Sep 24, 2019