Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Shiroc posted:

I had a big effort post written about how much I enjoyed watching Revolutions but hosed up and accidentally closed my browser, losing all of it. I'm not going to bother trying to rewrite it unless people actually care to read my longer form opinions, otherwise I'll just leave it at that I think Revolutions is an incredibly well done action, thematic and emotional climax to the original trilogy. I'm really hyped to see if Resurrections is able to be a meaningful follow up that adds something to the story and not take it down an 'and Neo's effort and sacrifice meant gently caress all in the end' path ala Disney Star Wars.

From the look of things it kind of does look like his sacrifice meant gently caress all in the end.

That said I'd definitely be down to read your effortpost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Yeah, the Matrix still exists and they basically directly say the truce will not last and Neo will return so I'm not sure what's up with that. Seems like a half measure.

"As long as the Matrix exists, the human race will never be free." - :agreed:

Basically if you're gonna have Neo hit the Christ-pose when he dies I'm gonna need to see the Second Coming and Revelation, bloodstained Neo on a white horse and all.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I think its possible to find a way to weave that issues continued and new problems come up without completely invalidating the previous events. Star Wars' problem for me wasn't that Luke didn't bring about permanent peace but that Disney presented it as accomplishing literally nothing, in fact likely making it worse since there is now a new Super Empire that nobody even really cares to fight anymore. Given how Revolutions is entirely about hope and trying to change things in spite of everything, following that up, especially in the present context, with 'lol nothing matters, it'll always get worse, the future refuses to change' would be a huge bummer.

To put down as much of the effort post as I can remember:

The first act is a bit slow and you kind of forget it all by time the main action sequences start up but I think it works really well. It gives the last bits of plot dump, has its own action sequences that are fun and a nice story arc within itself. I like how the programs have their own big horny rave after we saw the one in Zion in Reloaded. It links together the 'humanity' of both the humans and the programs/Machines.

The big Zion battle sequence is really well done. I think it is underrated in how well put together it is and how it advances the overall story. We get the payoffs for the time spent introducing characters like Zee, Kid, the crew of the Hammer and Mifune in Reloaded, since they end up forming the mini stories that drive the battle and keep interest. Everything is really well paced in how the sequence has turns and moments where Zion gets wins before the Machines retake control. I think its all very exciting while emphasizing that no matter what heroism Zion achieves, they genuinely have no chance of winning this fight themselves. It makes the stakes of what Neo is doing clear. The EMP of the Hammer only buying them a brief moment of respite compared to how the EMP at the end of the first movie saves the day is a nice touch.

I like that they take the moment to let Trinity see the real sky before they crash down into the city. Her death scene has always been genuinely affecting to me. It moved me to tears this time, as it often did in the past. It feels earned and legitimate to me. Everything from there, Morpheus realizing that Neo is fighting for them and Neo actively choosing hope over nihilism hits me really hard.

I think its interesting that the Oracle's plan seemed to be completely in the open. It seems reasonable to think that the Machines also had competing factions like we saw in Zion, which debated the war, Smith and how to resolve the contradictions of the current status quo. The Oracle's leap of faith that Neo could break the cycles vs the Architect wanting to continue them mirroring Morpheus' faith and Lock's pragmatism.

The bit in the first act where the Oracle was talking about not recognizing herself in the mirror but knowing she still liked candy stood out to me as one last bit of trans themes floating through the story. I go through a lot of times of knowing I'm still the same person but its still surprising seeing someone new in the mirror. Working out exactly who I am now and figuring out how the old bits all fit together is the place I'm in now. If Matrix 1's blaring egg feels, this is a trans experience a little further into transition.

Neo's sacrifice actually reminded me a lot of the end of the manga version of Sailor Moon. Putting this in spoilers in case people care about not knowing the ending of a manga from 20+ years ago: Sailor Moon goes to the Galaxy Cauldron, the place where all stars are born. The Cauldron had been corrupted by Chaos, an comic embodiment of all of the stars that failed to be born. All of the previous main villains in the previous arcs had been aspects of Chaos, lonely dark mirrors of Sailor Moon, constantly drawn to her light. Sailor Moon realized she is also a lonely star and that's why they keep coming together. She ultimately chooses to leap into the Cauldron, to embrace and disburse Chaos. She 'dies' from this but since the Cauldron is where stars are born and reborn, is given the choice to either start anew or to continue her life with her friends. Obviously being Sailor Moon, she chooses her friends.

The references to the Source, the place where everything begins and must return, Smith being a nihilist dark mirror of Neo and Neo's victory coming from accepting the inevitability of death and chaos but thinking life and hope matter anyway felt similar. Maybe Resurrections ends up being a story about Neo's rebirth so he can be together with Trinity again.

So yeah, loved it, always loved it, hyped for Resurrections to hopefully be good.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Nov 27, 2021

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shiroc posted:

I had a big effort post written about how much I enjoyed watching Revolutions but hosed up and accidentally closed my browser, losing all of it. I'm not going to bother trying to rewrite it unless people actually care to read my longer form opinions, otherwise I'll just leave it at that I think Revolutions is an incredibly well done action, thematic and emotional climax to the original trilogy. I'm really hyped to see if Resurrections is able to be a meaningful follow up that adds something to the story and not take it down an 'and Neo's effort and sacrifice meant gently caress all in the end' path ala Disney Star Wars.

I care. Really.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Lol C*****W*** just spent 40 youtube minutes praising a movie about resisting an oppressive system that controls what you see and feel and then said they wouldn't get into the trans allegory for fear of alienating advertisers

couldn't be me

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

VROOM VROOM posted:

Lol C*****W***

You're going to have to be more specific.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I was doing the twitter censoring thing on CinemaWins as a bit

but if something else unfortunately matches up with that that would be amusing

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
What is CinemaWins?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What is twitter?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I think the landscape and audience have more class and social consciousness than they did in the late 90's and 00's. I was watching an older Bard video on the, at the time, new Necromunda game and he mentioned that the gangs went from being punk representation and rebelling against the system to being tools of the system. Instead of the GenX idea of "gently caress the system/establishment" it's the millennial/zoomer/whatever idea of "gently caress capitalism" because instead of rebelling against this nebulous idea of "authority" or "the establishment" (it's why some GenX folks ended up having pretty lovely politics that failed to get with the times) it's one of "the gangs are now the working class and the ruling class are the capitalists".

I think we may see something along those lines with the upcoming film. That the implicit will become explicit and just general "rebellion against oppression" will give name to the oppressors and the oppressed will be more explicitly in its class and social characteristics. From inferred from the trailers, the idea that the first films are actually part of that universe now is pretty amazing, so what I'm on about tracks a little bit. It's perfectly in tune with capitalism commodifying struggle. I'm really excited to see this film.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 30, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

feedmyleg posted:

What is twitter?

No one can be told what twitter is

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005

Jimbot posted:

I think the landscape and audience have more class and social consciousness than they did in the late 90's and 00's. I was watching an older Bard video on the, at the time, new Necromunda game and he mentioned that the gangs went from being punk representation and rebelling against the system to being tools of the system. Instead of the GenX idea of "gently caress the system/establishment" it's the millennial/zoomer/whatever idea of "gently caress capitalism" because instead of rebelling against this nebulous idea of "authority" or "the establishment" (it's why some GenX folks ended up having pretty lovely politics that failed to get with the times) it's one of "the gangs are now the working class and the ruling class are the capitalists".

I think we may see something along those lines with the upcoming film. That the implicit will become explicit and just general "rebellion against oppression" will give name to the oppressors and the oppressed will be more explicitly in its class and social characteristics. From inferred from the trailers, the idea that the first films are actually part of that universe now is pretty amazing, so what I'm on about tracks a little bit. It's perfectly in tune with capitalism commodifying struggle. I'm really excited to see this film.

:hmmyes: Very much expecting commentary on the legacy of The Matrix and how it relates to critique of capital being coopted and subsumed into it. I am guessing Fake Morpheus will be a part of this and also I want to see some false prophet redpillers getting owned by queer anarchists

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
New Deja Vu trailer. Really liked it but be warned it seems to have some spoilers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgYs_NDyaLs

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
New Deja Vu trailer. Really liked it but be warned it seems to have some spoilers.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Deja vu..

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

https://twitter.com/NickARomano/status/1466101148117573636

yes

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I've much lamented that I'll never sit down in a theater again and hear the Force theme at the beginning of a trailer. This is probably as close as I'm going to get to having that kind of feeling about a movie again.

Budget Dracula
Jun 6, 2007

is there a way to watch the original without the super green tint?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Budget Dracula posted:

Pick up the UHD boxset :)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Budget Dracula posted:

You could also just pick up the UHD by itself if you don’t want the trilogy. the blu ray is also remastered

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Asked in the CineD Discord, also gauging interest here:

Would any of you goons be keen on a 3-day Matrix marathon stream hosted in the CineD Discord? Tentative scheduling would be December 20th Matrix night, 21st Reloaded, and then the 22nd would be a double feature stream with Revolutions leading up to whenever Resurrections goes live on HBO Max.

[edit] If they plan to drop Resurrections at like 7PM the day-of, we can make it a 4-day event then. Matrix 19th, Reloaded 20th, Revolutions 21st, and Resurrections on the 22nd.

teagone fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 2, 2021

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

teagone posted:

Asked in the CineD Discord, also gauging interest here:

Would any of you goons be keen on a 3-day Matrix marathon stream hosted in the CineD Discord? Tentative scheduling would be December 20th Matrix night, 21st Reloaded, and then the 22nd would be a double feature stream with Revolutions leading up to whenever Resurrections goes live on HBO Max.

[edit] If they plan to drop Resurrections at like 7PM the day-of, we can make it a 4-day event then. Matrix 19th, Reloaded 20th, Revolutions 21st, and Resurrections on the 22nd.

yes i'd be very in. where does one find this magical discord tho

entity119
May 13, 2003
Memory can change the shape of a room; it can change the color of a car. And memories can be distorted. They're just an interpretation, they're not a record, and they're irrelevant if you have the facts.

aBagorn posted:

Also keen

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

aBagorn posted:

https://discord.gg/NVM9CUX8

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

SO EXCITED

Hunter Leopardson
Dec 24, 2002

Don't be a jerk my friend
Saw the original at the cinema last night, looks amazing on the big screen. Does anyone know if Reloaded and Revolutions are being re-released at Vue or Odeon cinemas in the UK before Resurrections comes out?

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Hunter Leopardson posted:

Saw the original at the cinema last night, looks amazing on the big screen. Does anyone know if Reloaded and Revolutions are being re-released at Vue or Odeon cinemas in the UK before Resurrections comes out?

Vue and Odeon only have the first one showing today and tomorrow, best plan will probably be to keep an eye on their Twitter accounts.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/TheMatrixMovie/status/1467658318449496065

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 22, 2021

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Man, this rollout has me so drat excited. I really like the Deja Vu teaser, so excited to have more new footage today.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ugh I don't have either of these consoles.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Smdh that this is not on PC, delivered via minidisc hidden in a copy of Simulation and Simulacra

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

The second trailer is out, I would say it doesn't reveal anything about the story but may reveal things people rather see in theaters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNpvWBuTfrc

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Holy poo poo the music choice is brilliant

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I hope the whole product is good enough to make up for recasting Morpheus and Smith, two of the greatest and most iconic characters to appear in film in the last ~23 years.

It does look promising

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

codo27 posted:

I hope the whole product is good enough to make up for recasting Morpheus and Smith, two of the greatest and most iconic characters to appear in film in the last ~23 years.

It does look promising

Young hispster Smith and Morpheous here look so cringe.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

fatherboxx posted:

Holy poo poo the music choice is brilliant

I've re-watched this part soley for the music at least 5 times now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tqzzy45-_g&t=81s

Also,

I STILL KNOW KUNG FU

So hyped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Retrograde posted:

I've re-watched this part soley for the music at least 5 times now: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tqzzy45-_g&t=81s

Also,

I STILL KNOW KUNG FU

So hyped.

Ha, I was going to post this same exact thing. Trailer's only mistake was not keeping the Wake Up instrumental for the rest of the trailer.