Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I did not realize I wanted an orchestral Wake Up until now.

I'm kinda hyped now. Please be good...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The Agent Smith impression is way too distracting

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CapnAndy posted:

Also, regarding character deaths and why they might be back: "the real world is just another level of the simulation, nobody ever woke up" was a very popular fan theory after Matrix Reloaded to explain why Neo suddenly had superpowers in the real world too, and this trailer is at least nodding very heavily in that direction with lines about experiencing deja vu in the real world and "maybe this isn't the story we thought it was".
Yes it would have made a lot more sense if there were different levels of the Matrix. Especially since we had all of the ‘Smith takes a human form’ nonsense

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
New Morpheus and New Smith have got to 100% plot relevant and not just a recast for actor availability or whatever. Guaranteed.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Oh I firmly believe that, I just dont support it. Especially putting that twerp in Smith's role

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

jivjov posted:

New Morpheus and New Smith have got to 100% plot relevant and not just a recast for actor availability or whatever. Guaranteed.

From what I've read, they did ask Hugo Weaving to come back (scheduling conflicts) but did not ask Fishburne.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t understand how you don’t ask Fishburne at all

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Even though Morpheus died in The Matrix Online it's bullshit to not have Fishburne at least cameo as a recording or Obi Wan Kenobi force ghost or something.

Unless that whole "didn't even ask him" is a lie to disguise his surprise cameo

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I fully expect Fishburne to show up at some point.

“He’s not in the movie!” just reeks of studio misdirection. Like when JJ Abrams said, unconvincingly, that Cumberbatch was not playing Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness.

And then Cumberbatch played Khan.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It's very weird, and also the first warning that this could actually be dire.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t understand how you don’t ask Fishburne at all

I think it's because the Wackowski's(is it just Lana involved in this one or is it both?) really seemed to be very very committed to not doing another Matrix movie unless they had an idea they were excited about. Like, a lot of people say that in the movie business but I got the feeling that they were for real about it. So my guess is that whatever the main crux of the story is in this movie, it involves OG Morpheus being out of the picture for some reason, and they weren't going to change anything just for the sake of being able to cast Fishburne again.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If this gets a huge negative reaction from being a disaster, within like five years you'll get Episode V: The Matrix Awakens with the actual cast members.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
My theory: Neo is The One (n.b., "One" is an anagram of "Neo")

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Jay-V posted:

Big, if true.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jay-V posted:

He’s Jet Li from that early 2000s movie ‘The One’

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
My theory:

Machine civil war over another faction of machines rebooting The Matrix but where they simulate the roles of the prophecy via simulations of The One/Smith(Groff) and Morpheus, Trinity, etc to keep the cycle going and The Matrix functional. They essentially have made a program out of the mathmatical inevitably of The One.

Good machines revive Neo and Trinity to hack them into this new Matrix to stop these bad machines from destroying everything, but Neo must relive the events of The One inside this new simulation. Kind of like this weird alt version The Matrix is playing out around him as part of a simulation of the first film but slightly different, hence new Morpheus. Real Neo being introduced starts loving with the simulation hence they keep changing things/glitching occurs because Neos almost like a Smith-esque virus to this new system.

The survivors of Revolutions are back awakening people inside this new Matrix in and eventually find Neo and reawaken him but Trinity is still inside and he must find her and awaken her like she did him so they can fall in love again and destroy this new Matrix. This all part of the good machines plan of recreating the journey of The One as closely as possible to aid in the destruction of this new Matrix.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AccountSupervisor posted:

My theory:

Machine civil war over another faction of machines rebooting The Matrix but where they simulate the roles of the prophecy via simulations of The One/Smith(Groff) and Morpheus, Trinity, etc to keep the cycle going and The Matrix functional. They essentially have made a program out of the mathmatical inevitably of The One.

Good machines revive Neo and Trinity to hack them into this new Matrix to stop these bad machines from destroying everything, but Neo must relive the events of The One inside this new simulation. Kind of like this weird alt version The Matrix is playing out around him as part of a simulation of the first film but slightly different, hence new Morpheus. Real Neo being introduced starts loving with the simulation hence they keep changing things/glitching occurs because Neos almost like a Smith-esque virus to this new system.

The survivors of Revolutions are back awakening people inside this new Matrix in and eventually find Neo and reawaken him but Trinity is still inside and he must find her and awaken her like she did him so they can fall in love again and destroy this new Matrix. This all part of the good machines plan of recreating the journey of The One as closely as possible to aid in the destruction of this new Matrix.

The idea that there may be a splinter faction of machines that aren't honoring the truce seems pretty likely to me, it's one of the only reasons I can think of why all of the stuff happening in the trailer would even be necessary.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
They released Matrix Remastered and Neo has to play through the original matrix on NG+ with all the cool poo poo he unlocked the first time around

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
What really excites me about this is that no-one was calling out for another Matrix movie, Lana is making it because she has a story she wants to tell.

I'm not an anti-MCU person but those are films that I already know how they'll end going in, I know what the vibe will be. Matrix 4 I honestly don't know what to expect and can't wait.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s Jet Li from that early 2000s movie ‘The One’

Delroy Lindo and Jason Statham incoming.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

But seriously, that movie has one of the most hilarious scenes ever.

An exploding mouse! Down With The Sickness outta nowhere!

Interdimensional travel!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrWLKarlgNI

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I saw The One in theatres opening weekend.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Is this the first time a sequel has shown the original movies as...an actual movie in the movie!? The new trailer shows clips from the OG Matrix on like a projector or something lmfao what is going on?

Also there had BETTER be a scene with Cipher in the background as a famous actor or the movie is trash.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nuts and Gum posted:

Is this the first time a sequel has shown the original movies as...an actual movie in the movie!? The new trailer shows clips from the OG Matrix on like a projector or something lmfao what is going on?

Also there had BETTER be a scene with Cipher in the background as a famous actor or the movie is trash.

My prevailing theory is we're getting a take on Wes Craven's New Nightmare but with Matrix flavoring. I'm sure I'm wrong though, but even if it turns out to be something similar, that'd be so cool lol.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
If we get "in-universe the Matrix movies exist in order to provide a plausible explanation for bluepilled Neo's stubbornly persistent memories, also it's a commentary on how capital absorbs and nullifies criticism" I'll be pleased.

Especially if given that having memories of actually flying and poo poo doesn't really make sense for an actor, it's explained that he did it all in VR: Matrix-within-a-Matrix, but in the opposite direction of the usual theories.

Also a separate wild guess: Trinity is The One now, or they do something cheesy and be like "actually The One was The Two the whole time". Everything being mirrored and reversed kinda points toward this, what with Neo saving Trinity on the rooftop as opposed to the first movie where she saved him, and so on. And then Fishburne shows up and they're like "it was The Three, we were always going for a Triune God thing y'know" and then everybody has a big rave orgy.

VROOM VROOM fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 8, 2021

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Nuts and Gum posted:

They plugged neo back into the matrix as a famous actor

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
How come nobody here is talking about Niobe? :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
On my way to an imax screening of the original film--really excited to see it on the big screen (and have some big gender feels about it)

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bedshaped posted:

If they're not using The Matrix Online as canon, that part definitely explains why we don't have Fishburne back.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I hope the movie features that song Still The One by Orleans at some point

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Nuts and Gum posted:

Halloween III did it.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I saw The Matrix in IMAX and it loving owned

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
I'm gonna see The Matrix in a regular theater this weekend and it's gonna loving own

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Best part about seeing The Matrix was the mom her took her 8 year old daughter to see the movie. Hope that kid had the time of her life

Barudak
May 7, 2007

zenguitarman posted:

They plugged neo back into the matrix as a famous actor

I could listen to reeves talk about steak for longer than you might expect

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Bedshaped posted:

Cuz I think we have no idea what's going on lol. She looks like she could be the new President(?) of Zion though - clearly it's been 40/50 years since revolutions though.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://www.somethingawful.com/photoshop-phriday/misinterpreted-movie-titles/1/

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

https://twitter.com/SlayerofCis/status/1468687556292325386

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
Been reading through Simulacra and Simulation (it's quite dense) but I went ahead and did a ctrl-f for "resurrection" and found some interesting passages

quote:

In a violent and contemporary period of history (let's say between the two world wars and the cold war), it is myth that invades cinema as imaginary content. It is the golden age of despotic and legendary resurrections. Myth, chased from the real by the violence of history, finds refuge in cinema.

quote:

This does not signify that history has never appeared in cinema as a powerful moment, as a contemporary process, as insurrection and not as resurrection. In the "real" as in cinema, there was history but there isn't any anymore. Today, the history that is "given back" to us (precisely because it was taken from us) has no more of a relation to a "historical real" than neofiguration in painting does to the classical figuration of the real. Neofiguration is an invocation of resemblance, but at the same time the flagrant proof of the disappearance of objects in their very representation: hyperreal. Therein objects shine in a sort of hyperresemblance (like history in contemporary cinema) that makes it so that fundamentally they no longer resemble anything, except the empty figure of resemblance, the empty form of representation.

quote:

To choose the wrong strategy is a serious matter. All the movements that only play on liberation, emancipation, on the resurrection of a subject of history, of the group, of the word based on "consciousness raising," indeed a "raising of the unconscious" of subjects and of the masses, do not see that they are going in the direction of the system, whose imperative today is precisely the overproduction and regeneration of meaning and of speech.

quote:

Nothing resembles itself, and holographic reproduction, like all fantasies of the exact synthesis or resurrection of the real (this also goes for scientific experimentation), is already no longer real, is already hyperreal. It thus never has reproductive (truth) value, but always already simulation value. Not an exact, but a transgressive truth, that is to say already on the other side of the truth. What happens on the other side of the truth, not in what would be false, but in what is more true than the true, more real than the real? Bizarre effects certainly, and sacrileges, much more destructive of the order of truth than its pure negation. Singular and murderous power of the potentialization of the truth, of the potentialization of the real. This is perhaps why twins were deified, and sacrificed, in a more savage culture: hypersimilitude was equivalent to the murder of the original, and thus to a pure non-meaning.

quote:

Perhaps science fiction from the cybernetic and hyperreal era can only exhaust itself, in its artificial resurrection of "historical" worlds, can only try to reconstruct in vitro, down to the smallest details, the perimeters of a prior world, the events, the people, the ideologies of the past, emptied of meaning, of their original process, but hallucinatory with retrospective truth. Thus in Simulacra by Philip K. Dick, the war of Secession. Gigantic hologram in three dimensions, in which fiction will never again be a mirror held toward the future, but a desperate rehallucination of the past.