Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Neo Rasa posted:

Matrix 1 is so loving good, I was really happy that I saw in in theaters completely blind except for that one ad of a baby hooked up the machinery and that it was a sci-fi movie with Keanu Reeves.

A friend brought me to it opening week, and I think I was only aware of it via a newspaper review and bus stop advertising.

Bought the soundtrack the next day, hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

I won tickets for some sort of preview before release and almost couldn't convince my friend to come along, since the movie wasn't advertised anywhere and he didn't expect it to be any good.
Movie ads weren't common in my country, but you would at least hear something and the Matrix just seemed completely off the grid.

We were blown away and talking about it for two weeks, while nobody was even aware the movie existed. It was really weird.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Neo Rasa posted:

Matrix 1 is so loving good, I was really happy that I saw in in theaters completely blind except for that one ad of a baby hooked up the machinery and that it was a sci-fi movie with Keanu Reeves.
"Something about virtual reality" was literally all I knew about it going in. (I happened to be visiting the States at the time, and had seen zero hype or publicity about it back home.)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

It was the movie that made me pay attention to films. I went in knowing the special effects were dope, but so many of the most memorable shots were just a result of sticking the camera in an interesting place and lighting the scene well. It lead me to start understanding the power cinematography has.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The Matrix is cool because apart from all the philosophy and themes being presented in a really interesting way without losing a mass audience, it’s just a really killer sci-fi movie with a great script. Not a single scene is wasted and the whole movie is TWO HOURS long, the longest acceptable length for a blockbuster action film to be. Everybody making horrible four and a half hour comic book movies in our current times should revisit the Matrix’s script to see how you can accomplish everything you want without wasting everybody’s time.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
the sequels aren't really bad either, theyre just self indulgent and a bit disappointing.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
https://twitter.com/nbcbayarea/status/1215041771471884289?s=21

The matrix sequels were filmed in Alameda too...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
The first time I saw this I thought it was a new Marvell movie but then realized they would've just greenscreened evyerthing

https://i.imgur.com/mZrPsx8.mp4

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

The first time I saw this I thought it was a new Marvell movie but then realized they would've just greenscreened evyerthing

https://i.imgur.com/mZrPsx8.mp4

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1228821420685299712?s=21

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Regardless of how this turns out, I appreciate that they tried not to use green screens.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Cloud Atlas and Sense8 were leagues better than the original Matrix so I'm pretty stoked!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Now that's a take hotter than Anne Moss in a leather tank top, but I too am pretty optimistic!

E:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Feb 19, 2020

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

My friend took this picture of some set dressing. They fixed up a coffee shop to be this Good Place style pun

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

precision posted:

Cloud Atlas and Sense8 were leagues better than the original Matrix so I'm pretty stoked!

im no lover of the original matrix but.....yikes

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

This explains the notifications I got about street closures due to movie filming in downtown SF.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Simulatte

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Yo so I stock shelves for work which sucks but the benefit is that I get to listen to music while I do it. To mix things up I like to rip the audio from my fav movies and usually I'll toss one of them on during the final leg of my shift to make things go by faster.

All that info was just to explain that I was listening to The Matrix last night and I got to the scene where the UPS guy gives Neo the package with the phone that Morpheus calls him on and, maybe I'm just a slowpoke, but was the UPS guy actually Mouse?? I swear to god I heard his voice. It would make sense, what better way to get Neo an important item then to send one of your own guys up to get it to him?

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Yo so I stock shelves for work which sucks but the benefit is that I get to listen to music while I do it. To mix things up I like to rip the audio from my fav movies and usually I'll toss one of them on during the final leg of my shift to make things go by faster.

All that info was just to explain that I was listening to The Matrix last night and I got to the scene where the UPS guy gives Neo the package with the phone that Morpheus calls him on and, maybe I'm just a slowpoke, but was the UPS guy actually Mouse?? I swear to god I heard his voice. It would make sense, what better way to get Neo an important item then to send one of your own guys up to get it to him?

I just rewatched the scene and while it's initially being cute and hiding his face you do clearly see him and it isn't Mouse.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Wake up, thread...

https://thechoiceisyours.whatisthematrix.com/
https://www.whatisthematrix.com/

https://twitter.com/_r_williams_/status/1435261366240153602?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheMatrixMovie/status/1435271648635068423?s=20

https://thechoiceisyours.whatisthematrix.com/

2 DAYS

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 7, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Ok thats a cool gag. Hope somehow this doesn't disappoint

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I'm going to watch and love this movie even if it's bad. I have a soft spot for the sequels and I can never hate them even if I know they're not really all that good.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

With Revolutions resulting in the machines wanting to be a little friendlier and more open with humans, along with stuff like Simulatte, I wonder if we'll see some weird sanitized friendly-corporation version of the Matrix here. I can't help but assume that all the gang returning are going to be programs, and maybe they'll be kind of confronting whether what was accomplished in the first trilogy was enough to really fix the problems. I'm super ready for it, can't believe it's coming so soon!

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

I'm cautiously optimistic! First film is still one of my favorites

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

People talk like the Matrix is some kinda guilty pleasure as if it isn't one of the best and most important movies to see the light of day in the last 25 years

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

codo27 posted:

People talk like the Matrix is some kinda guilty pleasure as if it isn't one of the best and most important movies to see the light of day in the last 25 years
I agree the whole thing is amazing, but I especially think the whole last act starting with entering the skyscraper to rescue Morpheus is some of the most insanely perfect action movie poo poo ever made

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

codo27 posted:

The sequels did that, the first movie is loving great.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

codo27 posted:

Martman posted:

I agree the whole thing is amazing, but I especially think the whole last act starting with entering the skyscraper to rescue Morpheus is some of the most insanely perfect action movie poo poo ever made

True posts right here. The first act is legendary too, it follows very typical hero's journey story beats but it's paced and directed to really maximize the intrigue and impact of Neo's awakening and then delivers on the promise of finding out what the Matrix is. Even the long rear end exposition scene where Fishburne just lays it all out for Keanu is some compelling poo poo because of all the tricks they use to keep it visually interesting.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Oh wow, I checked the whatisthematrix site and some of the footage changes, very cool

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Back then no one was really connected like we are these days - I pretty much went in knowing Keanu Reeves was in it and nothing else. It blew my loving mind - I was 17 and the movie just keeps ramping up. Once Neo is interrogated I knew poo poo was going nuts.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
all I remember is that in the first film, Agent Smith calls Morpheus a "terrorist" way before it was a cool thing to do

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I'm so happy that this thread is active again.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm so loving ready for this.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I was 14, which was the exact perfect age to have your mind loving blown by the Matrix. I saw it with a group of friends and we were forced to sit in the very front row and it still owned so hard

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Yup, I was 13 when I saw The Matrix. I remember talking with a couple of my friends saying how much it felt like a live-action anime—we had already been exposed to stuff like Ghost in the Shell and Akira at the time.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Matrix Reloaded was still decent. It tried to introduce a lot of different concepts in the genre and didn't get too bogged down in it other than that they were helpers or impediments on the next part of the hero's journey.

Revolutions, on the other hand...

It just threw too much into the mix. There certainly were other human stories to tell, but this spent too long on them. The better parts were learning more about the nature of the matrix, the world, and how people or machines understood the ecosystem (or did not).

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Sep 8, 2021

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I was 12 when it came out in the theater and that poo poo ruled. Me and my wife showed the first to our son recently, who's also 12, and he was still pretty impressed with it. It holds up pretty well.

I'm also an unabashed sequel lover. I feel like they may have not been successful in what they were trying to do with the sequels but I still appreciate them for what they were trying to do.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

dreffen posted:

I was 12 when it came out in the theater and that poo poo ruled. Me and my wife showed the first to our son recently, who's also 12, and he was still pretty impressed with it. It holds up pretty well.

I'm also an unabashed sequel lover. I feel like they may have not been successful in what they were trying to do with the sequels but I still appreciate them for what they were trying to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToQvLlToA-o

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Big Scary Owl posted:

Oh wow, I checked the whatisthematrix site and some of the footage changes, very cool

Apparently it shows you different clips and narration depending on the time of day you view it, with 180,000 different variations of the experience possible.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Linking a YouTube review where they yell about box Office numbers before reviewing the movie is real bad look IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Ghosthotel posted:

Linking a YouTube review where they yell about box Office numbers before reviewing the movie is real bad look IMO
It's not really a review and upon rewatching it after nearly 20 years they find they like it and are pretty positive about it