Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qualia
Dec 14, 2006

HorseLord posted:

The defining feature of a delusion is that the untrue belief causes the disruptive and harmful behavior. Mooching off your parents in your late 20s because you can't get through a job interview without referring to yourself as neko-sama is absolutely awful.

not being hired because youse neko-sama is what is awful. anything beyond that is speculation regarding the health of the relationship between the parents and child. also, don't do that: this constant Squidward/BuzzLightyear/RandomName naming is wack as poo poo. everybody has figurative identities: even SMG is an advanced chatbot, designed to write truthfully and accurately -- an ultimate killing machine. most figurative identities have just been normalized because our capitalist universe doesn't actually care about you, including those that embrace it (willingly or not); it's just a recursive propagation of lineage, brand, and lifestyle. you find yourself outside whatever overton window you occupy/observe and you get folk thinking they clever wondering aloud where the dragons at. they right in front of you; perhaps they'd like a job

Qualia fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jan 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

moths posted:

It could also be that we have an imperfect or flawed understanding of gravity and it's interaction with matter.

Everything I hear about dark matter sounds like Ptolemy's little planet circles because it's just stacking an unknown unknown onto a known unknown. That's how we ended up "liberating" Afghanistan and Elon Musk, an adult, telling people we live in The Matrix.
Yeah and how come if the earth is round it looks flat even when I’m in an airplane

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well, again, you’ve got to actually do the legwork on this. It’s not enough to say that Thing A is bad and Thing B is bad, therefore they represent eachother.

Okay, first of all I have explained this at length and refuse to believe that you've simply forgotten. It's fine if you want to keep changing the subject, but if you didn't understand what the connection was between machinery that lives and grows by consuming human life-force and capital you could have asked prior to now. Either way, I'll expound below.

quote:

Let’s say that Niobe, in IO, begins selling the strawberries for profit. She herself doesn’t grow the strawberries, but she owns the strawberry manufacturing plant, and her gardeners are paid a decent wage by IOian standards.

So: what point are the gardeners put into the pods? At what point does a squid intervene and cause this arrangement to be ‘bad’? Do we need to introduce a new tertiary reality to accommodate the new squids and new pods (as in the old speculation that the ‘real world’ is itself a simulation by even-more duplicitous machines)? We don’t even need the hypothetical strawberry-business scenario because, in the backstory of the films, capitalism obviously predates the invention of the AI.

This is like asking: were Ripley to start employing the marines as shift workers, at what point his objections to labor conditions would cause Hicks to start crawling on ceilings and bleeding acid?

But in point of fact, Niobe would find that her strawberry manufacturing infrastructure requires constant intake of capital investment and labor-power, because every minute it's lying fallow is a minute of profit lost. If it doesn't constantly improve in scale and efficiency it'll just get crushed or absorbed by a competing operation. She'll have to work frenetically and unceasingly to lengthen the working day while reducing the value of strawberries just to stay in the game. The greater her capital becomes, the more its were-wolf hunger for labor-power intensifies. She can't allow it to stagnate for even one waking moment because she's completely dependent on its increase. Eventually, no one in IO can live at all except at capital's sufferance; no matter who they are or what they do, they're merely appendages of capital, their entire lives devoted to its valorization.

Note that in this example, Niobe is a capitalist, but it is capital itself that is most analogous to the machines who run the matrix. You seem to be confusing such people as CEOS and board members with the capital they steward. (Note also that this is unrealistic at the base level because there's no primitive accumulation; you can't just transform an existing mode of production into capitalism by having a business idea)

quote:

On the flipside, we denizens of Matrix-Earth could implement full communism worldwide and this, in your view, would accomplish little or nothing. (In fact, the machines would benefit a lot more from the improved quality of life. They want as many people as they can get, living as long as possible.)

In short, it’s very easy to falsify your assertion.

But that's flatly wrong. We know from the first movie that a paradisiacal matrix doesn't actually work; people wake up. One might naively believe that real capitalists also benefit from healthy, long-lived, happy workers, and therefore that the growth and expansion of capital would go hand in hand with increasing life spans, improved public health, etc, but in fact it turns out that optimizing exploitation means increasing misery and rendering individuals increasingly disposable, as the Analyst tells us explicitly in the fourth movie. If you're the ruling class and you need to vampirize the working class, their being too ragged, beaten-down, and overwhelmed to even have the time to take stock of their own situation is a plus.

quote:

So, what ‘is’ being put into a pod? Well, simply that. The good guys plug eachother into their own customized pods all the dang time. (Did you ever ask yourself what’s ‘powering’ the Nebuchadnezzar?) The image of a person being ‘jacked in’ can’t tell us much of anything without the broader context - which returns us to the point that you haven’t yet established whether the machine society is capitalist or not. Repeating that there are distinct classes isn’t enough, because that was the case with all hitherto existing society.

This isn't correct either. When the humans sojourn into simulations on purpose, they just sit in chairs. The pods, among other things, feed people via/to other people, and none of that infrastructure's present on the little spaceships or in the human cities (that we can see, anyway). "Jacked in" is different from "imprisoned and exploited".

Now I'm going to repeat myself from above, because you keep going back to this well even though I'm sure I've chased you away from it several times now: there is a difference between the Matrix series being a piece of art about capitalism, and between the Matrix series depicting characters who are literally capitalists fighting characters who are literally workers. The program-people are obviously not purchasing the freely-sold labor-power of the flesh-people. The relationship between machines and humans is not akin to the relationship between capitalists and workers, but the relationship between capital and humans. The world inside matrix is a dictatorship of the bourgeoisie that privileges the boss of Metacortex over the employees of Metacortex (and, in the fourth movie, that privileges CEO Tom Anderson over all the employees of I-forget-his-company's-name). But even the bourgeoisie are ultimately at the mercy of an alien force they don't understand and can't control, one which undergirds their entire society.

quote:

It’s not actually blindly obvious at all. Like, you’re in the matrix and you encounter a coffee shop called “Simulatte”. How do we interpret this?

Diegetically, it’s a lovely pun based on a 20-year-old videogame, effectively saying that the lattes are “so good they’re unreal.” It’s lame, to the point that I don’t really buy that the franchise is as successful as it appears to be. This is the stuff of struggling small businesses. They might as well give it legally-distinct Zelda-like accoutrements and call it “Ocarina of Grinds.”

Of course, you interpret “Simulatte” as a message hidden in plain sight by the Illuminati to taunt us. The message is, like, lattes don’t actually exist. “U think that’s milk ur drinking?” So you’ve gotten dangerously close to pointing out the absurdity of your own assumptions. Why even bother with the matrix at all, at this point?

As I’ve shown, actual capitalist baddies could just start a strawberry factory in IO. Call it Nioberries. Charge people admission to plug into the hovercrafts, etc. If the squids are capitalist, there’s no need for a matrix at all.

Well, "blindly obvious" is a matter of degree. It's not actually blindly obvious to everyone alive that profit in the contemporary world comes from exploitation rather than, like, business acumen, but neither is it a jealously guarded secret. It might even be lampshaded or outright acknowledged by the selfsame entities seeking to exploit you, or at least their cheeky social media interns. The point is that understanding the truth is simply not enough.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 13, 2022

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014

Qualia posted:

not being hired because youse neko-sama is what is awful. anything beyond that is speculation regarding the health of the relationship between the parents and child. also, don't do that: this constant Squidward/BuzzLightyear/RandomName naming is wack as poo poo... you find yourself outside whatever overton window you occupy/observe and you get folk thinking they clever wondering aloud where the dragons at. they right in front of you; perhaps they'd like a job

Sounds like you've gone beyond even a libertarian's self ownership type argument in defence of otherkin and into arguing that others should be obligated to permit these behaviors limitlessly rather than take them as, at best, extremely obvious warning signs that something is very wrong.

Like I wish the person I'm specifically referring to the best, really, but that person is absolutely incapable of proper social interaction, and my workplace is fundamentally unsuitable for someone with problems of this type. Nobody wants an office dispute with a self professed magical girl. Nobody wants to hire someone who professess magical girlhood in the interview, either, for the simple reason that demonstrates an inability to be professional.

HorseLord fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jan 13, 2022

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Zizek wrote a nifty review of the movie today!

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/a-muddle-not-a-movie-slavoj-i-ek-reviews-matrix-resurrections

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lame

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

why the gently caress is Zizek writing in actual fascist rag the spectator

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

HorseLord posted:

Sounds like you've gone beyond even a libertarian's self ownership type argument in defence of otherkin and into arguing that others should be obligated to permit these behaviors limitlessly rather than take them as, at best, extremely obvious warning signs that something is very wrong.

Like I wish the person I'm specifically referring to the best, really, but that person is absolutely incapable of proper social interaction, and my workplace is fundamentally unsuitable for someone with problems of this type. Nobody wants an office dispute with a self professed magical girl. Nobody wants to hire someone who professess magical girlhood in the interview, either, for the simple reason that demonstrates an inability to be professional.

I think the idea is that the whole concept of "professionalism" is just a thousand codified bigotries. If we did away with it entirely like yeah, maybe one in a thousand weirdos would abuse it and be sex princess cat boy at work, but for every one of those guys there would be endless other people who just got a better life by not having to cosplay as white 1950s businessman.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I think the idea is that the whole concept of "professionalism" is just a thousand codified bigotries. If we did away with it entirely like yeah, maybe one in a thousand weirdos would abuse it and be sex princess cat boy at work, but for every one of those guys there would be endless other people who just got a better life by not having to cosplay as white 1950s businessman.

This just isn't true at all, as somebody who has worked at the highest echelons of corporate America, professionalism is being a cog. It's not showing much positive emotion and no negative emotion, being consistent, competent, putting in good effort, not standing out, making yourself as friction- and risk-free as possible. It's essentially the standards of being a resource applied to a person. Now you can say it's intrinsically "white" in America because that's the dominating cultural standard for corporate behavior, but believe me if you flew over to Africa or Saudi Arabia or whatever they have a version of professionalism and I can assure you it's nearly identical to here. I worked at a multinational, did some travel, and did b2b work with companies that were entirely based and staffed in those two areas (as well as South America). They were not cosplaying as 1950s businessmen, their executive management valued and encouraged the exact same traits as everywhere else because that's what makes their lives easier as managers/exploiters.

edit: so to tie this in with Horselord's post, the reason you don't hire the Magical Girl person is the risk factor. You have no idea what somebody with these "out there" beliefs is going to do. It has nothing to do with being a bigot about Magical Girl people.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jan 13, 2022

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

This just isn't true at all, as somebody who has worked at the highest echelons of corporate America, professionalism is being a cog. It's not showing much positive emotion and no negative emotion, being consistent, competent, putting in good effort, not standing out, making yourself as friction- and risk-free as possible. It's essentially the standards of being a resource applied to a person. Now you can say it's intrinsically "white" in America because that's the dominating cultural standard for corporate behavior, but believe me if you flew over to Africa or Saudi Arabia or whatever they have a version of professionalism and I can assure you it's nearly identical to here. I worked at a multinational, did some travel, and did b2b work with companies that were entirely based and staffed in those two areas (as well as South America). They were not cosplaying as 1950s businessmen, their executive management valued and encouraged the exact same traits as everywhere else because that's what makes their lives easier as managers/exploiters.

I mean, it feels like you are arguing with a weird part of this. Like this professionalism thing sounds awful and dehumanizing.

Like yeah, if we got rid of it some spooky scary horse boi might get away with being a horse boi and everyone would be briefly annoying or grossed out, but it seems like everyone is paying a high price to avoid a fairly minor negative outcome.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, it feels like you are arguing with a weird part of this. Like this professionalism thing sounds awful and dehumanizing.

It is. But it's not cosplaying or an expression of bigotry, which is what you said. In order to attack the problem you must correctly identify it first. Professionalism comes from a power relation, not from a collective expression of individual preferences. You would find managers that absolutely love "characters" who would never, ever hire those people because their primary purpose is to get cogs because that's what they're evaluated on. And if you go up the chain far enough that standard is the standard of capitalism.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

A direct quote from the review: “The reason is now clear: in spite of its occasional brilliance, the film is ultimately not worth seeing – which is why I also wrote this review without seeing it”

Lol what is this. Just watch the film or don’t write about it.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

It is. But it's not cosplaying or an expression of bigotry, which is what you said. In order to attack the problem you must correctly identify it first. Professionalism comes from a power relation, not from a collective expression of individual preferences. You would find managers that absolutely love "characters" who would never, ever hire those people because their primary purpose is to get cogs because that's what they're evaluated on. And if you go up the chain far enough that standard is the standard of capitalism.

I mean, the height of professionalism is wearing like, a suit, not a hakama or a thawb or something. The cog looks one particular way and the further out from that way you are the less "professional" you are. And like yeah, sticking to that will stop the looming threat of a weirdo briefly doing something cringe at work, but then also in preventing that stops like a million black women from being allowed to have their natural hair.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

checkplease posted:

A direct quote from the review: “The reason is now clear: in spite of its occasional brilliance, the film is ultimately not worth seeing – which is why I also wrote this review without seeing it”

I think he said on chapo that he just watches TV shows these days. Clearly this is no obstacle to talking about movies at length, nor is getting barred from publishing in any reputable outlet (something he also won't shut up about). That's our boy!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Normalizing natural hair is a laudable goal, and I feel like we're most of the way there.

It feels gross to put cat ears and kimonos in the same category as civil rights.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

It is. But it's not cosplaying or an expression of bigotry, which is what you said.
I get what you're saying, but structural racism is still racism, without regard for whether or not some manager's personal animus is behind it.

Like, how do you think American-style sack suits became the Professional Norm all over the world, including countries where people where kimonos or thawbs?

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 13, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

moths posted:

Normalizing natural hair is a laudable goal, and I feel like we're most of the way there.

It feels gross to put cat ears and kimonos in the same category as civil rights.

I feel like it is gross to put a fictional person who doesn't exist as a straw man (Neko Same) against real people but here we loving are

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

moths posted:

Yeah man, that is why policies to stop that weirdo aren't really worth having when they impact real people with real problems. Like if you have a restrictive hair policy maybe you will stop one guy who might get a cringe haircut that you will be microscopically harmed by having to briefly look at how cringe it is, but the policy to prevent that is going to also rope in 20,000 black women policing their hair. And just not worrying about it all (while admitting that not worrying about it might someday mean you see a yucky grosso cringe guy) is a bigger net positive to human society than like, trying to harm a lot of actual people in an effort to stop princess neko wearing a dumb headband to work.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

This is like asking: were Ripley to start employing the marines as shift workers, at what point his objections to labor conditions would cause Hicks to start crawling on ceilings and bleeding acid?

Well, no. Although that's a fairly good question to be asking yourself, it's not the same question. This is where recourse to 'commonsense' analogy keeps getting in the way. In Alien (as in Matrix, we can say), the 'biomechanical' creatures emerge at a point of crisis and failure in the everyday reality. It's a traumatic eruption/distortion. "Hemorrhaging will show as a dark patch," as Ripley says of a medical scan in Alien 3. This emergence is, of course, not merely the result of 'an objection to labor conditions' but something far more unusual and psychologically impactful (e.g. John Hurt surviving a faceful of acid). Likewise, we do not say that being cocooned by aliens 'is' capitalism. You yourself concede that the machines are not capitalism itself, but merely (in your view) analogous to it. 'Capitalism is like a car; it has a driver, an engine, and a windshield[???].'

Why does your analogy break down? Simply because 'capitalism itself' is irrepresentable. Capitalism can't be 'personified', and any attempt to do so introduces a whole host of problems (e.g. antisemitism). This is why you are able to provide a good description of a capitalism-without-squids, kinda putting to rest the whole debate. Though you deny it, the squids in your analogy are obviously identical to the people running Nioberries - not actually "capital itself" but beholden to it, working frenetically to improve in scale and efficiency of the matrix operation because they fear getting "crushed or absorbed by a competing operation".

So we're back to the same troubles: the literally-existing matrix is horribly inefficient and 'should have' been abandoned long ago, or never even bothered with. You simply cannot account for why the machine society 'needs' conscious human people. The objection that, without the matrix, people would wake up from the matrix and escape is of course inadequate; simple limb restraints would solve that problem. Likewise, the claim that the threat of 'waking up from the dream' serves as a form of discipline: simple limb restraints solve that problem. The only way out is to invent even more new stuff to fill in the gaps: are theses machines advertising the electricity from matrix'd humans as somehow 'tastier': "green", "ethically-sourced", etc.? Is this how they compete with their 'competing operations'?

Ferrinus posted:

When the humans sojourn into simulations on purpose, they just sit in chairs. [...] "Jacked in" is different from "imprisoned and exploited".

That's something you actually need to establish. If your claim, based purely on expository dialogue and supplementary materials, is that characters plugged into the matrix have their energies harvested profit, then you need to show that this is not happening with all the Zionites plugged into The Construct. The Neb has mechanisms that dispense a weird protein slurry. Where did it come from? Though she exempts herself, Niobe in M4 speaks of this issue directly: "Zion was ... stuck in a war. Stuck in a matrix of its own."

Ferrinus posted:

there is a difference between the Matrix series being a piece of art about capitalism, and between the Matrix series depicting characters who are literally capitalists fighting characters who are literally workers.

So, here, we've highlighted the issue: literally every piece of art made under capitalism is 'about' capitalism to some extent. The issue is whether it's good at it or not. Matrix 1 was a very good film about paranoid fantasy as a form of 'cognitive mapping' - as a pathological-but-functional means of coping with life under capitalism. It isn't (conducive to being read as) a marxist film; reading against it is an involved process.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 13, 2022

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah man, that is why policies to stop that weirdo aren't really worth having when they impact real people with real problems. Like if you have a restrictive hair policy maybe you will stop one guy who might get a cringe haircut that you will be microscopically harmed by having to briefly look at how cringe it is, but the policy to prevent that is going to also rope in 20,000 black women policing their hair. And just not worrying about it all (while admitting that not worrying about it might someday mean you see a yucky grosso cringe guy) is a bigger net positive to human society than like, trying to harm a lot of actual people in an effort to stop princess neko wearing a dumb headband to work.

The downside is that you end up with a soft "bad fit for our company's culture" dismissal of people who look fringe.

I think what's being missed here is that there's value in signaling conformity. Conformity gets a bad reputation, but it's pretty loving important. Religious garb signals conformity to a belief, and in the same vein a Black women's natural hair honors her ethnicity. These are both things that a society should value and respect.

Princess neko's headband shows contempt for business norms, or that she prioritizes a fandom over her career. Neither is desirable in a prospective hire.

It's not just that some guy's Hitler moustache is causing an office disruption, it's that it shows a lot of weaknesses. Did we hire a nazi or just some jagoff who's never seen a picture of Hitler? Hi presence looks like someone in management made a mistake.

Management doesn't like looking bad, so they'll find a million things to hold against him. He'll never be officially penalized for his moustache, but it's the same mechanism as discrimination.

So it's important to normalize important beliefs and identities, but you'll never be able to normalize the abnormal. Putting trans issues into the realm of tumblr otherkin and weaboo fandoms is an effort to denormalize trans people.

It's pretty hosed up. I think it's a legitimate problem with the film that it's nominally a trans analogy but it lines up more with stuff like that Sonic super-fan we all meet in highschool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It only does when you are making up people for it to apply to.

No loving body does what you are claiming people do.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 13, 2022

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

moths posted:

The downside is that you end up with a soft "bad fit for our company's culture" dismissal of people who look fringe.

I think what's being missed here is that there's value in signaling conformity. Conformity gets a bad reputation, but it's pretty loving important. Religious garb signals conformity to a belief, and in the same vein a Black women's natural hair honors her ethnicity. These are both things that a society should value and respect.

Princess neko's headband shows contempt for business norms, or that she prioritizes a fandom over her career. Neither is desirable in a prospective hire.

It's not just that some guy's Hitler moustache is causing an office disruption, it's that it shows a lot of weaknesses. Did we hire a nazi or just some jagoff who's never seen a picture of Hitler? Hi presence looks like someone in management made a mistake.

Management doesn't like looking bad, so they'll find a million things to hold against him. He'll never be officially penalized for his moustache, but it's the same mechanism as discrimination.

So it's important to normalize important beliefs and identities, but you'll never be able to normalize the abnormal. Putting trans issues into the realm of tumblr otherkin and weaboo fandoms is an effort to denormalize trans people.

It's pretty hosed up. I think it's a legitimate problem with the film that it's nominally a trans analogy but it lines up more with stuff like that Sonic super-fan we all meet in highschool.

To bring it back to matrix.

Worrying about the "other kin" issue is stupid. The story is clearly if anything a metaphor for trans rights. If it can also be applied to otherkin then like, oh well, too bad. It's not really worth worrying about. As with most freedom of expression identity stuff. Yeah, if you allow it maybe someone will abuse it, but preventing the abuse isn't worth becoming abusive towards the groups that are legitimate. They will never thank you for making their whole life lovely trying to prevent "princess neko" from very slightly abusing wearing women's clothes or having a dumb haircut or some gross furry stuff or whatever.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
This thread has taken a hard turn towards bougie cishet white boy. Neo should have considered the impact on his coworkers and customers of behaving erratically because he got a stressful phone call, when we know he shouldn't even taken a personal call on corporate's time.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It only does when you are making up people for it to apply to.

No loving body does what you are claiming people do.

Have you ever worked literally anywhere?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Worrying about the "other kin" issue is stupid. The story is clearly if anything a metaphor for trans rights.

It is because Lana has said as much, but it seems to map more closely with otherkin whatever. Which is arguably a legit problem with the film because it equates a real identity with a trivial one.

Starbelly / Plainbelly Sneetches is a good story about the concept of compromise and stubbornness. But if Dr Seuss had said it was specifically about Palestine's right to exist, that would raise eyebrows.

moths fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jan 13, 2022

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

checkplease posted:

Lmao, he'd fit right in here

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

moths posted:

Have you ever worked literally anywhere?

It is because Lana has said as much, but it seems to map more closely with otherkin whatever. Which is arguably a legit problem with the film because it equates a real identity with a trivial one.

Starbelly / Plainbelly Sneetches is a good story about the concept of compromise and stubbornness. But if Dr Seuss had said it was specifically about Palestine's right to exist, that would raise eyebrows.

Yes, many places. I have never seen someone come in demanding to be treated like an anime character because that doesn't happen.

You are determined to connect it to some random Sonic the Hedgehog person you knew in middle school as if that is any more relevant to the discussion about trans identity as "so are people going to marry dogs next" is to gay marriage

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 13, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
it's been demonstrated to be literally true for most jobs that there is literally zero causal relationship between "you can't have purple hair at work" and "our company is doing well"

in the 00s you had a wave of companies being like "we don't give a FUUUUUUUUUUUUCK about that stuff" and wow who knew those companies did not on average do any better or worse because of it

it absolutely is a form of bigotry which is being excused, in this very thread right now, by a white middle class guy who's going all "no no don't you see corpos just want people to be polite and nice, it's not about bigotry at all" and it's like lmao lmao lmao

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Trinity should have mangled her kids arms, then tied them together and used them as sick-rear end nunchakus while yelling about being otherkin Bruce Lee to fight The White Man Corporate Culture or whatever the gently caress is being discussed in this thread right now..

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

ImpAtom posted:

Yes, many places. I have never seen someone come in demanding to be treated like an anime character because that doesn't happen.

Yeah man, but it coooooould, so it's enough to justify never making any freedom or positive message for anyone in any way, because if we did someone might abuse it. Matrix is bad because maybe an otherkin could relate to a story written so a trans person could relate. No stories about trans people should be written because maybe a yucky otherkin could see it too. Or something.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Worrying about the "other kin" issue is stupid. The story is clearly if anything a metaphor for trans rights. If it can also be applied to otherkin then like, oh well, too bad. It's not really worth worrying about. As with most freedom of expression identity stuff. Yeah, if you allow it maybe someone will abuse it, but preventing the abuse isn't worth becoming abusive towards the groups that are legitimate. They will never thank you for making their whole life lovely trying to prevent "princess neko" from very slightly abusing wearing women's clothes or having a dumb haircut or some gross furry stuff or whatever.

Actually, I believe that using fictionkin "as a metaphor" for broader egalitarian struggle demonstrates that Lana Wachowski sees a revolutionary potential in fictionkin itself. If companies are directly selling us revolutionary narratives (e.g. Hunger Games 3, Elysium, Captive State, etc.) well, what if people began to take these very seriously? (Note the recent panic, in the news media, that people might watch the batman movies and become "Jokerfied".)

The real question, that Wachowski doesn't really grapple with, is why this doesn't actually happen. I know that I've been met with a lot of hostility for pointing out that the droids in Star Wars are enslaved. Fans identifying with the slaveowners then say - with all sincerity - that, no, the droids are subhuman and we can do with them as we wish. So 'taking things seriously' isn't enough. We need the critique of ideology.

And this is where Matrix 4 fails: there is no critique of the ideology of the matrix trilogy. There is just a repetition of its basic message, and a lamentation that this message has been forgotten.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

You are determined to connect it to some random Sonic the Hedgehog person you knew in middle school as if that is any more relevant to the discussion about trans identity as "so are people going to marry dogs next" is to gay marriage

Jesus no, yeah that's not even a little my point.

It doesn't matter what's going on in the employees' identity. If they're wearing a Nauru headband, have purple hair, neck tattoos, or Hitler's haircut they're standing out and that's a red flag to management.

Normalizing important identities, being trans, having natural hair, honoring a person's religion. Those are good and should be normalized.

But corporate culture is going to pick out some nonconformity to weed out "problem employees" and letting someone wear cat ears isn't a protected category and maybe doesn't need to be.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Someone please photoshop the reveal of Morpheus but with a milk mustache
This is an affront to everything The Meatrix stood for.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, I believe that using fictionkin "as a metaphor" for broader egalitarian struggle demonstrates that Lana Wachowski sees a revolutionary potential in fictionkin itself. If companies are directly selling us revolutionary narratives (e.g. Hunger Games 3, Elysium, Captive State, etc.) well, what if people began to take these very seriously? (Note the recent panic, in the news media, that people might watch the batman movies and become "Jokerfied".)

The real question, that Wachowski doesn't really grapple with, is why this doesn't actually happen. I know that I've been met with a lot of hostility for pointing out that the droids in Star Wars are enslaved. Fans identifying with the slaveowners then say - with all sincerity - that, no, the droids are subhuman and we can do with them as we wish. So 'taking things seriously' isn't enough. We need the critique of ideology.

And this is where Matrix 4 fails: there is no critique of the ideology of the matrix trilogy. There is just a repetition of its basic message, and a lamentation that this message has been forgotten.

Has a single otherkin that you didn't make up actually say anything about matrix 4?

This whole pearl clutching "this movie is otherkin" feels entirely based on you deciding some fictional person might relate to a story.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

moths posted:

It doesn't matter what's going on in the employees' identity. If they're wearing a Nauru headband, have purple hair, neck tattoos, or Hitler's haircut they're standing out and that's a red flag to management.

Normalizing important identities, being trans, having natural hair, honoring a person's religion. Those are good and should be normalized.

But corporate culture is going to pick out some nonconformity to weed out "problem employees" and letting someone wear cat ears isn't a protected category and maybe doesn't need to be.

Seems like the solution here is to fight back against there being protected categories and just let people wear stuff, instead of making each victory for each group a separate individual thing.

Like maybe the cost of doing that will be someone wears cat ears to work?

I feel like we might be able to survive that as a culture, if it fixed the 10 billion other problems workplaces policing that stuff has caused.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

moths posted:

lol goddamn defending corporate culture in the Matrix thread of all places

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Shiroc posted:

Listen man, if companies can't control every aspect of your life maybe someone might theoretically wear a hitler haircut! This justifies massive totalitarian control of every aspect of your life! conformity is good! if someone is different they must submit a waver.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I've used a picture of a Pokemon as my corporate profile for years now because people were continually deadnaming and misgendering me when I tried to have a 'normal' one. I'll go explain to my bosses how they made a mistake with the promotions they've given me since I stand out too much.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Shiroc posted:

It's right up there with confusing explanation with endorsement!

E: Am I the hosed up weirdo for seeing a difference between "tuck in your shirt" and "don't be trans?"

moths fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 13, 2022

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Has a single otherkin that you didn't make up actually say anything about matrix 4?

This whole pearl clutching "this movie is otherkin" feels entirely based on you deciding some fictional person might relate to a story.

I don't believe otherkin is good or bad. It's just a subculture. Like, are goths bad? My answer to that would be, like: which goths?

I'm also not referring to how people relate to the story, but to the story itself: it's a fairly straightforward depiction (and not necessarily endorsement) of some fictionkin beliefs, in the same way that Last Temptation Of Christ depicts some christian beliefs. I haven't consulted with any christians on that, but I'm pretty confident about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Necrothatcher posted:

why the gently caress is Zizek writing in actual fascist rag the spectator

The Spectator pays relatively ridiculous cash moneys to have interesting intellectuals write one article a year for them, Zizek for certain enjoyed taking their money to spin out a review of a movie he explicitly hasn't even watched. It's an obviously bad article but it's probably him being an IRL imp more than him cosigning the Spectator.

checkplease posted:

In the original matrix trilogy, blue is the color for Zion and humans (see some of their clothes and ships). Green is well known as the matrix color. Yellow is machines/programs.

So it’s not that they are trying to look like blue pills, but rather they are strongly representing their city (IO) colors.

I don't think that's a strong take, if blue was the colour for Zion and humans/it's about repping we'd have seen the same blue over the eyes in the original trilogy but we don't. The only character that wears anthing other than standard black sunglasses is Cypher, who wears clip-ons to turn normal glasses into sunglasses, which obviously is related to him not being fully committed to fighting the machines.

And to make an obvious point is the Analyst also repping for IO?

Does that mean the characters that don't wear blue over their eyes aren't committed to IO/humanity?

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 13, 2022