Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

SCheeseman posted:

Didn't know it was a myth. Season 2 being terrible without any excuse at all isn't much better though.

There were some interesting writers on the first season (a Bafta award winning writer, Ed Brubaker) who didn't come back for the second season. IMO the first season had a decent idea and a few decent writers in the room working on things, and the remaining three seasons didn't have either. I didn't think the first season was up to much either tbh.

Mr Robot's a fairly strong show all the way through, and I reckon the first season is the weakest. When Esmail takes over directing the entire thing just looks so much better, and there's a simultaneous jump in ambition in terms of seasonal storytelling and just episode-to-episode construction. The show takes these huuuuge swings, sometimes these really cool macro choices like shifting the show into horror for the second season, or keeping Martin Walstrom back for almost the entirety of the same. Sometimes just on a micro level, like the action scene in the fourth season that's shot in a single take as the camera spins in place.

Some bits and pieces don't fit, parts of the fourth season are unsatisfying (often on purpose), but overall I really love the ambitious, ambitious ride. And most of the BIG pieces are there from the start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You're right that the first season wasn't entirely successful, though the first episode is magnificent. Westworld transforming into pulpy sci-fi action schlock by season 3 at least made it entertaining to watch on a visceral level.

Anyway, everything you're saying about Mr Robot makes me think you'll love Leave The World Behind. It's Sam Esmail as gently caress.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Really looking forward to the Esmail movie. Shame Netflix are putting all their big promotion towards the latest Snyder bullshit instead of this. Also glad this thread is back and reminding me that s4 was extremely good and underrated and I need to rewatch it!

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

SCheeseman posted:

Anyone who enjoyed Mr Robot show would likely also find Sam Esmail's new movie Leave The World Behind a very enjoyable watch. It's not a direct continuation of the show (it's an adaption of a novel) but there's a lot of thematic overlap also the laptop the family use has an E-Corp logo.

I always get so happy when this thread is bumped! I had not heard about this movie but I'm going to check it out for sure

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i started this show after reading its like 4 seasons of the best TV ever.

season 1 was super good,

just finished ep 7 of season 2 and what the gently caress, what has even been real this season

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

queeb posted:

i started this show after reading its like 4 seasons of the best TV ever.

season 1 was super good,

just finished ep 7 of season 2 and what the gently caress, what has even been real this season

:mrgw:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

cant get over how amazing/weird this show is with the 4th wall breaking, its so loving interesting lol, elliot asking us to look around his room while he listens to wellicks driver drone on

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god i read S2 wasnt as good but wtf, just finished ep 10 and this poo poo is popping off

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

queeb posted:

god i read S2 wasnt as good but wtf, just finished ep 10 and this poo poo is popping off

s2 has potentially the best episode of the series with the sitcom fever dream

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

queeb posted:

Season Two's my favourite. The slow building spooksy vibe, with all the short horror movie pre-titles and the rolling brownouts and the check ins with that poor little corner shop as it slowly goes to poo poo. I also like how it plays with missing characters and missing time e.g. Tyrell vanishing, the episode that's all Darlene trying to cope without Elliot around.

Even poo poo like Dominique's uncanny relationship with her Alexa, or Angela's whole thing. It's very very cool and high concept and weird, I loved it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

yeah this whole season feels like a fever dream. currently on ep 11 with angela alone in a room with a fishtank, this is crazy.

and yeah the sitcom episode was so loving cool

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

waht the gently caress is happening, angela was just talking to uhh, the dark army lady, gently caress this show is great, i dont know where the gently caress this show is going

the gently caress now we can hear into mr robots head

queeb fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Dec 13, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i just finished season 2

????????????????????????? the gently caress?/?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You are watching Mr Robot.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

queeb posted:

it's paced differently, slower. thats what bugged people

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

S2 holds up a lot better as a binge than 1 episode a week imo

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

blunt posted:

S2 holds up a lot better as a binge than 1 episode a week imo
Back when I was watching week to week, it was a bit annoying because I noticed some unusual things early in the season, went on reddit, and saw that other people did too and actually guessed the mid-season twist by like the first or second episode. By that point it was just slowly waiting for the show to reveal what we already knew.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

queeb posted:

waht the gently caress is happening, angela was just talking to uhh, the dark army lady, gently caress this show is great, i dont know where the gently caress this show is going

the gently caress now we can hear into mr robots head
Yeah I'm really interested in what your experience with the rest of the show is going to be because I suspect, as the poster above wrote, that maybe some of the elements that we had issue with when the show as running weekly would be smoothed over on a binge.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

lol ep 2 of season 3 apparently he never told the therapist his dad pushed him out a window?? wtf the twists just dont stop

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

what the gently caress season 3 ep 2 they jsut loving killed off tyrells wife??!????!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
lmao I love this, please keep posting

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Man the gently caress, are we going into some like metaphysical poo poo, like the machine in Washington Township plant that can apparently change the past? Time travel?? Like I never got the vibe from the show it was gonna go into stuff like that aside from weird Elliot poo poo but Angela saw something and believes it so wtf??? I'm here for it

Also really loving how it's changed to Elliot and Mr robot sharing a body, working against eachother, not knowing what the other is doing, when he briefly wakes up while in a room with Angela and Tyrell was so good, and when he imagines up Mr robot when in the elevator at e-corp to figure out what to do gently caress this is so good hahaha

queeb fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 14, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

how dare they gut punch me like that with the beginning of episode 6 with angela and her mom, im not crying you're crying

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

uhh wtf episode 6 they were playing mr robot? what the gently caress is stage 2 then?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

oh

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ep 7 gently caress they actually make you feel bad for wellick

what the fuuuuck they killed the 2 characters i liked

queeb fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 14, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

well angelas loving lost it

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

Thinking about Bobby Canavale eating ribs

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

The Finer Arts > TV IV > Mr. Robot - oh

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

ep 10 wht the gently caress angela is prices daughter???

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
:allears:

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

jesus christ this loving episiode

edit: okay they keep teasing time travel or something all the time, like the superman flying around the world scene on the tv as he walks passed just now

the musical score for this show is loving a+

queeb fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 15, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

s4 ep 1 uh what the gently caress they just killed angela in the first 5 minutes

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Ah yeah. You have reached the point where real life shenanigans have affected the show

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a very stylishly done death though, you've got to hand it to the show.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's a very stylishly done death though, you've got to hand it to the show.
Yeah it's hard to hate on it for that reason. Plus with the way the rest of the season goes I'm not even sure what role Angela had left to play it in, honestly

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Strange Matter posted:

Yeah it's hard to hate on it for that reason. Plus with the way the rest of the season goes I'm not even sure what role Angela had left to play it in, honestly

Yeah (final season spoilers) I suspect, at most, it'd just change which episode she dies in, not that she dies at all. I doubt she'd have made it half the season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What are these real life shenanigans anyway

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Escobarbarian posted:

What are these real life shenanigans anyway

Portia Doubleday and Rami Malek were dating pre-Season 4 and it ended on a very bitter note resulting in Malek refusing to film any scene with her. The last episode(s) contain scenes of the two together that were filmed in earlier seasons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Portia Doubleday and Rami Malek were dating pre-Season 4 and it ended on a very bitter note resulting in Malek refusing to film any scene with her. The last episode(s) contain scenes of the two together that were filmed in earlier seasons

That poo poo sucks and I'm of two minds. Emotions run deep, but be professionals.