Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I missed getting my first mycareer quadruple double by one block. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

My body double from the Gatorade commercial managed to sneak onto the bus for the Championship parade.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook

Largepotato posted:

You choose where they go on this screen.

Ah right but when you ‘level up’ you get more points to put wherever you want? My 3pt max is 81 but is there a way to increase that?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Disco De Soto posted:

Ah right but when you ‘level up’ you get more points to put wherever you want? My 3pt max is 81 but is there a way to increase that?

Only when you get to 95 overall.

After that you keep playing games and your overall rating will slowly increase as you get A+ game ratings. At 99 overall your 3pt rating will be 85.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

In both my last two games I broke the scoring record with 86 then 90 points. So maybe I should increase the difficulty? Do my team mates get better when the difficulty ramps up? Cause right now they kinda suck at finishing and I can't really rely on them.

And that 90 point game was like 35 layups and 10 dunks. I still can't figure out how to shoot 3 pointers at a decent rate. Or use the play-calling system.

In another game the ref glitched out and just held onto the ball after the opposition team scored. Not sure what you're supposed to do in that situation - they should let you slap the refs.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Disco De Soto posted:

In another game the ref glitched out and just held onto the ball after the opposition team scored. Not sure what you're supposed to do in that situation - they should let you slap the refs.

When that happens you can call a timeout to fix it.

It's annoying to waste one, but better than having to restart the game.

As for teammates, I find they become even worse at higher difficulty and the game becomes even more of a one man show.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Ah time out, good idea. Thanks!

EDIT: OMG Zubac is finally playing a game. Where the gently caress has he been hiding? It's like my 70th game of the season.

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 6, 2020

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

they should get Spike Lee back on board for another 2k imo

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I've seen some bad trades in mycareer, but this one is by far the worst.

Second season for my shooting guard.

The Knicks' 2 best players are now shooting guards (McCollum & RJ Barrett), while the only center on the roster is a 73 overall rookie.

The Trail Blazers 3 best players after Lillard are all centers (Robinson, Nurkic, & Favors), while the best shooting guard is 77 overall.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Largepotato posted:

I've seen some bad trades in mycareer, but this one is by far the worst.

Second season for my shooting guard.

The Knicks' 2 best players are now shooting guards (McCollum & RJ Barrett), while the only center on the roster is a 73 overall rookie.

The Trail Blazers 3 best players after Lillard are all centers (Robinson, Nurkic, & Favors), while the best shooting guard is 77 overall.

to be fair, cj is like 6'3 and would play the point on most teams as long as there's someone else in the lineup who can take on most of the playmaking

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
The CPU comeback AI in this game can be a bit much I swear to god. I wish they'd at least disguise it better instead of just going into "I need 10 points fast" mode.

It's not that I mind good opposing players hitting tough shots and poo poo or exploiting my mistakes but, about 3x per game, especially if I'm winning big, this happens:

- My guys intentionally move to a position that puts a defender in the passing lane when I pass or, worse, run out of bounds to receive a pass. The dude will be standing right outside the key to receive a pass but when when I toss it, he cuts to the rim and automatically puts a defender between me and him.

- Any shot I block goes right to a perfectly positioned offensive rebounder. Any steal I initiate bounces to another guy who happens to be right there.

- Any of my players that have the ball seem to be auto double teamed and (see above) do NOT try to pass out of it. I try to swing the ball to the weak side but none of my team mates seem to have ever heard of it.

- The only players on my team who spot up for jumpers and 3's are the worst outside shooters on my team. I'll lob into my inside guy for a post up move and when I kick it out, it's Olajuwon or Ewing spotting up for a 3 or a jumper.

- The AI's players are in the perfect position to do EVERYTHING (double team, intercept a swing pass, release on a fast break, be right there for a put back, spot up for open 3's, guard Dr J one on one with Frank Brickowski)

- If I post up, I'm triple teamed and, like I said, god help me if I try to pass to a spot up shooter. It gets intercepted or otherwise it's Dennis Rodman spotting up for the jumper. The AI defense takes amphetamines when it needs a stop and all of a sudden everyone's a brick shithouse with mobility.

- the game seems to randomly decide "no, I'm REALLY trying to pass to this OTHER guy." No, not the wide open dude on the low block. Not him. No, I was REALLY trying to pass to Mutumbo at the top of the key. No, not my point guard at mid court getting out on a fast break on a 3 on 2. The sloth like back up power forward down there at the corner near the 3 point line doing nothing with no ball handling.

- None of my 3's or mid range jumpers will drop, even if I have the badge and hit the meter. Same with free throws. Game puts a garbage can lid over the hoop at times.

- My low post moves result in my guy having a seizure and/or getting pushed/spinning out of bounds in the low block or close to the hoop. Again, good luck passing out of it even with icon passing because my entire team puts every one of them out of position when there should be 2 or 3 guys open and looking for the ball standing wide open for a mid range jumper.

- If I'm trying to lead a guy, he'll stop and stand STILL to catch the pass (assuming he can catch it), even on a break, instead of continuing his path to the hoop of through the lane. Same with my defenders on a fast break the other way. I'll switch to the deep/key defender and they'll stop running when I switch just long enough for the CPU to make a layup, a pass or a dunk.

- The AI can shake and bake for a layup when they need a bucket but when I try to iso, the CPU defense is like a mobile version of Sauron's tower. Plus they're able to collapse without leaving anyone wide open. Again, don't loving pass to anyone.

- Every spin move and cross over they do works every time and seems perfectly mapped to EXACTLY when I try a steal. I do it and it's an instant loose ball that gets poked away. Even with Jordan or Doc.

TL/DR: Yes, I am down 2 in game 7 of my playoff series after being up by 15 midway thru the 3rd quarter. Why do you ask?

How the gently caress do you guys beat this game consistently on a difficulty above pro with this blatant bullshit? I guess I need to dig deeper into play calling and pick and rolls?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

His effective field goal percentage has been way down the last 5 games. His team needs him to return to what he was producing earlier in the season.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Yeah the game seems to really break itself quite blatantly to keep the scores even. Like all of a sudden Kawhi misses a bunch of close-range shots and free throws, and the opposition gets all the rebounds. Maybe it’s just bad luck but either way it’s annoying.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Calling a timeout can help with ending that nonsense.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Ok so time-out seems to solve all of these problems

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

Disco De Soto posted:

Ok so time-out seems to solve all of these problems

sometimes the refs need some gatorade too

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Disco De Soto posted:

Yeah the game seems to really break itself quite blatantly to keep the scores even. Like all of a sudden Kawhi misses a bunch of close-range shots and free throws, and the opposition gets all the rebounds. Maybe it’s just bad luck but either way it’s annoying.

I created a new custom team/legends fantasy draft league and all of a sudden am 4-0. Had my first legit blowout I think ever, winning by like 35, and the CPu put all my scrubs in at the beginning of the 4th quarter.

I honestly thought my previous team was better but they went 17-12.

Julius Erving
Mutumbo
Steve Kerr
Hersey Hawkins
Tyrone Hill

New (4-0) team:

Marc Gasol (drat, he's good)
Schrempf
Iverson
Kenny Smith
Charles Oakley

Also have a strong bench with Bill Walton and Sean Elliott. Walton is a loving force.

I really like how much difference there is in this game between the players and how well it incorporates their styles. I have to get clever to get off shots with Iverson due to his height. Mutumbo was a monster on D, etc.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Cool what game mode is that?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Disco De Soto posted:

Cool what game mode is that?

My League/Custom Teams/Fantasy Draft/Franchise mode.

Created my own uniforms and stadium and poo poo which is surprisingly fun

I had to swap out the current teams for historic ones to get an all legends league so I get a lot of teams named Lakers and once in a while get duplicate players (from different years)

Only thing I want to do is create Barkley since for some reason he's not in this game and he's one of my fave players. You'd think that NBA Finals Suns team would have made the cut.

Also, can confirm that something is going on. I notched another blowout, am 5-0 and am loving teams up. Don't know if I'm just getting better, lucky or what. All my settings are the same as my 17-12 team. I think I'm just improving since, come to think of it, my previous season I was at 8-8 or something and then finished really strong.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

I had to swap out the current teams for historic ones to get an all legends league so I get a lot of teams named Lakers and once in a while get duplicate players (from different years)

Only thing I want to do is create Barkley since for some reason he's not in this game and he's one of my fave players. You'd think that NBA Finals Suns team would have made the cut.

He won't sell his rights until 2K makes a large donation to the retired players union

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

BiggerBoat posted:

Hate to even bring this up since you’ve already restarted once, but I think you could potentially get around both of these. Not sure if you’re playing an earlier year but in 2k20, you can select All Time Teams for each franchise. And it gives you the option of either including duplicate players, or choosing one over the other (so like, if Lebron shows up on both the Heat and Cavs teams, it would give you the opportunity to choose which one will be in the league). And you can still do a fantasy draft, to mix up the rosters.

I believe at least some of these options were around prior to 2k20...but honestly who fuckin knows with 2k.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

hot salad posted:

Hate to even bring this up since you’ve already restarted once, but I think you could potentially get around both of these. Not sure if you’re playing an earlier year but in 2k20, you can select All Time Teams for each franchise. And it gives you the option of either including duplicate players, or choosing one over the other (so like, if Lebron shows up on both the Heat and Cavs teams, it would give you the opportunity to choose which one will be in the league). And you can still do a fantasy draft, to mix up the rosters.

I believe at least some of these options were around prior to 2k20...but honestly who fuckin knows with 2k.

Yeah I'm on an ancient old version (16) that I grabbed for a buck at a yard sale. According to my research, the only way to set up a custom team with a legends fantasy draft was to do it the way I did. I didn't mind the restart despite all my custom work with my cool St. Augustine Spiders team. My mistake was not doing franchise so when it ended, it ENDED.

Katana_Warrior posted:

He won't sell his rights until 2K makes a large donation to the retired players union

I didn't know that but good for him. I've seen some "create a player" formulas that let you build him but that feels cheap somehow. Maybe i'll see if I can create him and sign him as a free agent.

I other news, if anyone cares, I finally dropped a game, blowing a big lead.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Largepotato posted:

Calling a timeout can help with ending that nonsense.

That works? When the CPU gets hot, and we grow cold, I kind of feel like the game's over right then and there.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Armitage posted:

That works? When the CPU gets hot, and we grow cold, I kind of feel like the game's over right then and there.

Can confirm it works to an extent.

Just when I thought I had the CPU fuckery figured out and was considering bumping up the difficulty, I've dropped 2 games in a row and Iverson can't buy a bucket. No one can hit 3's. Missing layups.

Main thing I've learned to do is SLOW DOWN (and also assign matchups). A lot of times, I want to get out on a break, rush my team and start flashing wild passes but taking my time a little, running off screens, lobbing into the low post and setting up seems to help a lot. Recognizing numbers in transition helps me not commit turnovers as much.Thing that starts killing me though is how easy it is for CPU guys to get open and especially dominating offensive rebounds.

I don't think I've had a put back slam EVER in this game.

One other minor thing that's seemed to help me against the CPU is playing OFF the ball - filling passing lanes, clogging the paint and following cutters running off screens and picks. Or, if I have a tall shot blocker, just camping close to the hoop and rejecting bitches.

But there's no question that sometimes the CPU/AI decides it's simply Going To Win and it feels like you can do gently caress all about it. They even like to gently caress with you. I rallied from 13 down at the start of the 4th to lose by 3; tied the game with 4.5 seconds left only for some jackhole to rain a 3 at the buzzer when every player on the CPU team decided they were all on crack and my defensive players all guarded the sidelines (or my bench).

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

What annoys me is when I get subbed off and we’re in the lead, then when I get subbed back on we’re somehow down by 15 points. Ok, so I grind our way back to a lead, sometimes up by 10, then get subbed again...

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Man, I'll say one thing

The CPU in this game is WAY better at grabbing offensive boards and put backs.

Holy poo poo I think I've been out rebounded on offense every loving game I've played - and that's with dudes with like Moses Malone, Rodman and Mutumbo on my squad. The CPU/AI seems to have crashing the offensive glass built in to its programming

I haven't had ONE offensive put back dunk the entire time I've played the game I don't think.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Man, I'll say one thing

The CPU in this game is WAY better at grabbing offensive boards and put backs.

Holy poo poo I think I've been out rebounded on offense every loving game I've played - and that's with dudes with like Moses Malone, Rodman and Mutumbo on my squad. The CPU/AI seems to have crashing the offensive glass built in to its programming

I haven't had ONE offensive put back dunk the entire time I've played the game I don't think.

Offensive putbacks are all about positioning, timing, and momentum in 2k. They aren't going to work most of the time if you're just boxing out in front of the basket waiting for the miss, you have to be looking for open lanes to cut through to the basket and just pray that the ball bounces your way. Also I'm pretty sure every offensive rebound that Moses Malone grabbed in his career were just his own misses

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
The problem with putbacks is they are an "or" proposition. You either go for an offensive rebound OR go for a putback. For every putback you actually succeed on, there is going to be at least 5 offensive boards you could have swallowed just going up for a normal rebound.

Never go for putbacks on 3-pointers, they will never succeed. Deep twos are rarely worth going for either. Layups and close shots are usually the only ones worth going for, but also the hardest to get into position.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Well I went and looked it up and realized I've been hitting the rebound button instead of the shot button to get put backs/slams so that might be part of my problem. Or all of my problem actually. I was spamming/holding the alley oop controls and expecting my guy to do an offensive rebound jam. But it still seems like the CPU just crashes the offensive glass better in general and always seems to be in better position when they need to be.

Gonna adjust my approach my next game and see.

I don't play online games at all for a variety of reasons but this one actually seems like it might be a good one to try since it looks like it would be hard to cheese up too much. Pretty sure I'll be proven wrong if I try it out but, on the surface, it looks like poo poo like money plays and AI exploits would be tough to exploit compared to something like Madden or Fight Night that are just rife with nothing but bullshit.

What's online like for most? Is there a goon league?

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
I dunno who made these rosters but I'd think by season 3 of MyLeague you can set up a team of Bol Bol, William Floyd, and a roster of G league guys and run over the league, Good lord :stare:

Armitage fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 24, 2020

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
Got a couple of friends who bought the game at sale and hate the idea of making a build/grinding for points.

Is there a way to just play 3 on 3 outside of myplayer? Like choose an existing nba player and play with him against others.

Is this the PlayNow mode? i cannot log in and try it out now myself...

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Armitage posted:

I dunno who made these rosters but I'd think by season 3 of MyLeague you can set up a team of Bol Bol, William Floyd, and a roster of G league guys and run over the league, Good lord :stare:

Funny you should mention that.
That's going to actually be my third year roster, almost, in my LP of this game, although, it'd technically be year four, since I added my player team in 2020.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Question: for sliders, in my league, if my team is blocking too many shots, but it’s my computer guys doing it, do I adjust player sliders or cpu? That is, do the player sliders affect the whole player team and do the cpu sliders affect the whole cpu team and only the cpu team?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

beejay posted:

Question: for sliders, in my league, if my team is blocking too many shots, but it’s my computer guys doing it, do I adjust player sliders or cpu? That is, do the player sliders affect the whole player team and do the cpu sliders affect the whole cpu team and only the cpu team?

Not sure but pretty sure the user ones. My understanding of it is that it breaks down to User/CPU controlled TEAMS, not players.

I finally started loving with sliders because of the offensive rebounding issue and also I was making way too many inside post up shots, even with scrubs. The CPU AI seems to be able to do what it wants when it wants a lot of times and the only D I can usually muster is thru steals, a hand in the face and blocks. But the CPU's layup animations, sliding into passing lanes, automatic double teams and always being in the right place to grab loose balls often seem unstoppable so I'm trying to mess with it some.

I don't mind losing games but I want it to feel fair and be statistically realistic/even.

I've got the offensive rebounding set at 70/30 and am still getting owned on put backs and just crashing glass in general. I always seem to get more blocks than the CPU, steals and threes are about even but I get destroyed on offensive rebounds no matter what.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Season 2 of my SG mycareer with the Bucks and our frontcourt backup was poo poo so I had Giannis play 33 minutes per game.

Some time into the season and Giannis started picking up minor injuries during games. So after it happening a few times, I checked his Wear and Tear tab.

Oops, I seem to have broken Giannis from making him carry the team's rebounding and rim defense on his shoulders (and elbows).

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Giannis apparently starts at "pitcher" for the Bucks.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Axel Walden photographs himself arriving at the arena.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I'm playing MyLeague and I've got sliders pretty well adjusted for me. However, one thing is bugging me. My team both scores and allows about 100 points even per game. Most of the simmed games around the league are like 145-128 and stuff. I'm not entirely sure how to bring up my played games scoring. The FG% ends up pretty ok, my team and the opponent are usually both around say 44%-49% so I don't want to up the shot successes or anything. I dunno, ideas?

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?

beejay posted:

I'm playing MyLeague and I've got sliders pretty well adjusted for me. However, one thing is bugging me. My team both scores and allows about 100 points even per game. Most of the simmed games around the league are like 145-128 and stuff. I'm not entirely sure how to bring up my played games scoring. The FG% ends up pretty ok, my team and the opponent are usually both around say 44%-49% so I don't want to up the shot successes or anything. I dunno, ideas?

Couple things I could think of:

Is there a slider for pace/game speed? I can’t remember.

Or are your quarter lengths set at less than 12 minutes? If you’re actually playing games, with short quarters, there’s an option to normalize stats against 12 min quarters.

Alternatively do you just have a team that plays slow and limits opponents number of possessions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Oops should have given more detail. Yep I'm on 12 min quarters. I'm playing the Lakers and Lebron is averaging 29 and Davis about 24, Dwight Howard I think around 10 but everyone else is pretty low. My team was blocking an insane amount of shots, Davis and Howard were averaging like 6 blocks each per game, but I got that dialed in now I think. The computer team usually has more field goal attempts than I do, mostly because they steal the ball all the time (this is on me).

There is a "Speed" or "Game Speed" slider that I think makes everything move quicker, I have it on 52 (default was 50 I believe) - maybe I should turn that up more.

I do spend maybe too much time letting plays fully develop, maybe I just have to run n gun more. Or maybe I can actually just turn up shot success a little because it seems like apart from Lebron and Davis nobody can make a jump shot. I dunno I don't want 50% FG shooting across the team though, doesn't seem realistic. This isn't a giant problem, just kinda weird.