Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

beejay posted:

Oops should have given more detail. Yep I'm on 12 min quarters. I'm playing the Lakers and Lebron is averaging 29 and Davis about 24, Dwight Howard I think around 10 but everyone else is pretty low. My team was blocking an insane amount of shots, Davis and Howard were averaging like 6 blocks each per game, but I got that dialed in now I think. The computer team usually has more field goal attempts than I do, mostly because they steal the ball all the time (this is on me).

There is a "Speed" or "Game Speed" slider that I think makes everything move quicker, I have it on 52 (default was 50 I believe) - maybe I should turn that up more.

I do spend maybe too much time letting plays fully develop, maybe I just have to run n gun more. Or maybe I can actually just turn up shot success a little because it seems like apart from Lebron and Davis nobody can make a jump shot. I dunno I don't want 50% FG shooting across the team though, doesn't seem realistic. This isn't a giant problem, just kinda weird.

Same on all of that. I play 11 minute quarters and checked the "adjust" box or whatever so simmed games generally match what I'm doing.

I get a lot of blocks myself, and a decent amount of steals, which seems to be the only way I can play effective defense and, like you, enjoy realistic shot %. The CPU/AI is really good at driving around my man though and even when I set my feet/lock on I can't seem to put up roadblocks the way their defense does. I actually have speed turned down a notch (45 I think) because my reaction time can't keep up with the CPU. Most of my defensive success comes from pressing at half court, playing OFF the ball and/or camping out near the lane with a shot blocker.

Run and gun often only seems to work when the CPU says it will though and a lot of times I find I'm more effective when I actually slow down than if I rush things, I start getting a poo poo load of turnovers and stuff or sloppy play. Also, it seems to depend a lot on the team(s). I like to play classic rosters a lot and fast breaking with the 86 Lakers works a lot more than, say, the 89 Pistons. The game is really good at capturing individual styles of players and teams and poo poo - one of the main things I love about it. Every team and player feels different and realistic. I wouldn't say the current Lakers are built to run and gun much unless it's there.

I'm playing a much older version of the game though (2k16) that I picked up for 5 bucks so some of this poo poo might have changed. How are your offensive rebounds stats looking?

poo poo...I didn't mean to write that much.

TL/DR: I guess just gently caress with sliders til you get the experience you want. I still think the AI fucks with you no matter what you do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Offensive rebounds are alright, I'm leading the league in defensive rebounds though. But with Davis, Howard, and Lebron, not that crazy to imagine. I'll probably just leave my game where it is. Everything feels pretty good except my game scores ending up around 100~ which I can live with.

hot salad
Jun 25, 2005

Did you just say
the word 'scoff'?
Digging through the sliders right now, you could also try messing with the tendency settings: maybe increase shooting 3s, turn down post scoring, etc. which might help the teams just choose quicker/higher scoring plays.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

I've seen some bad tattoos on players, but this takes the cake. Sponsor branding your own shoulder.

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
And they値l be changing the sponsor to Wilson in 1 or 2 seasons

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I only play run and gun and it works absurdly well

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I am Real Bad at 2K20 but am trying to get better. I want to call more quick plays by using <L> on the D-pad, but am often frustrated by the selection provided there. I don't suppose there's a way to call up a short-list of quick plays for a specific on-court player, vs this short stack of random plays for random players?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

I had a mycareer game against the Rockets and Westbrook went full brickmode. He was 0/8 by the time they dragged him in the first quarter.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

rivetz posted:

I am Real Bad at 2K20 but am trying to get better. I want to call more quick plays by using <L> on the D-pad, but am often frustrated by the selection provided there. I don't suppose there's a way to call up a short-list of quick plays for a specific on-court player, vs this short stack of random plays for random players?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVL74u95n2w

This episode of 2KTV starting at 7:00 has some info on editing the plays that appear in the list.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

rivetz posted:

There should be a quick-play called 'positional playcalling' which when selected, will bring up what look like the passing icons. Once you hit the button the small menu will show a few plays like an iso, floppy etc.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

The Duggler posted:

There should be a quick-play called 'positional playcalling' which when selected, will bring up what look like the passing icons. Once you hit the button the small menu will show a few plays like an iso, floppy etc.

Yeah, I think it's R1 that gives you a menu of plays for one specific dude. Hit it, hit the player icon that comes up and then you'll get a bunch of stuff designed for that guy. If you're like me, though, some of those menus can be overwhelming and gently caress you up.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

I am good at hook shots.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Armitage posted:

I dunno who made these rosters but I'd think by season 3 of MyLeague you can set up a team of Bol Bol, William Floyd, and a roster of G league guys and run over the league, Good lord :stare:

Story checks out.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Veryslightlymad posted:

Story checks out.

Floyd ended up on the Pacers alongside Bol in my current game, and they were able to sign Kevin Love who's still really good but close to retirement. So far, however, Floyd's been getting banged up and the Pacers haven't been running away with things yet, but when he's been on the court.. hoo-boy.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Milos Teodosic has very a flattering face scan in NBA2K.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yes they were incredibly dominant irl but the spotlight 80s Lakers are complete bullshit and I知 incredibly mad at video games right now. To the best of my knowledge Michael Cooper was not Steph Curry with his actual true lockdown defense and Magic did not have a floater that went in from any part of the court

I知 not looking forward to the Celtics.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

BiggerBoat posted:

Yeah, I think it's R1 that gives you a menu of plays for one specific dude. Hit it, hit the player icon that comes up and then you'll get a bunch of stuff designed for that guy. If you're like me, though, some of those menus can be overwhelming and gently caress you up.

And if you池e playing on superstar or higher the man guarding you will just swipe the ball away while you池e trying to decipher just what the gently caress you actually want to do

Pretty sure 2k19 had an simplified way to run a play for specific players. I remember spamming post to get past some bs challenges.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

The Suns' fans heckled me with "You can't shoot!" chants after the game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

So I've been dicking around with NBA2k16 for a good while cause I got it for $3 at a flea market and dig it a lot but have been thinking of picking up a newer version where the 76ers are good and that has Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid. I can grab ANY older version for real cheap.

Couple questions:

- is the gameplay mostly the same or have they hosed with the basic controls in ways that will mess with my muscle memory? Because it's ingrained at thsi point.

- Can you still relocate/create your own team, stadium and logos and poo poo? Because I LOVE that.

- Do they still have the classic rosters? Because that's a HUGE selling point for me since I'm old and love the 70's - 90's players and teams. Bird, Erving, Moses, Magic, Kareem, MJ, etc. I don't think I'd enjoy the game as much just playing with modern rosters.

- What's head to to head online play like overall? Seems like it'd be a hard game to cheese, unlike Madden or Fight Night but online types always seem to find a way and, in general, I don't enjoy playing games online, especially with strangers.

- Can you create a player in any of these (2k16-2k20) without it being a "my career" guy and going thru that BS? Like, can I just make Charles Barkley or a 6'1", 155 lb SF that resembles myself and simply stick them on a roster? Because I can't find that option.

Any feedback would be awesome. thx.

Katana_Warrior
Dec 25, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

So I've been dicking around with NBA2k16 for a good while cause I got it for $3 at a flea market and dig it a lot but have been thinking of picking up a newer version where the 76ers are good and that has Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid. I can grab ANY older version for real cheap.

Couple questions:

- is the gameplay mostly the same or have they hosed with the basic controls in ways that will mess with my muscle memory? Because it's ingrained at thsi point.

- Can you still relocate/create your own team, stadium and logos and poo poo? Because I LOVE that.

- Do they still have the classic rosters? Because that's a HUGE selling point for me since I'm old and love the 70's - 90's players and teams. Bird, Erving, Moses, Magic, Kareem, MJ, etc. I don't think I'd enjoy the game as much just playing with modern rosters.

- What's head to to head online play like overall? Seems like it'd be a hard game to cheese, unlike Madden or Fight Night but online types always seem to find a way and, in general, I don't enjoy playing games online, especially with strangers.

- Can you create a player in any of these (2k16-2k20) without it being a "my career" guy and going thru that BS? Like, can I just make Charles Barkley or a 6'1", 155 lb SF that resembles myself and simply stick them on a roster? Because I can't find that option.

Any feedback would be awesome. thx.

- gameplay is pretty similar, you'll probably have a couple sessions before you get used to it, but it's the same beast for the most part

- yeah

- yeah

- idk

- yeah, and you get more positional/stat freedom in the full create-a-player mode. only downside is you can't use your face scan for anything except myplayers.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
After hundreds of games in myCareer, I have finally seen a cpu player called for a flagrant foul.

Of course it would be Draymond Green.

As seen here first, Ime Udoka will be coaching the Knicks next season.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Did something happen to MyLeague? I no longer have the option to create a new league; I've got single season, playoff, start today, MyLeague Online (I don't subscribe to PSN), and the MyGM poo poo. What happened to the Franchise Simulator where you can redraft all teams and just build a dynasty without all the GM storyline poo poo

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

This wasn't called out of bounds.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Rodgers is a 77 overall rookie and my backup at SG. All 13 minutes he played were simmed while I was resting on the bench.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

:stare: That's a performance. Nice triple double by you though.

rivetz posted:

Did something happen to MyLeague? I no longer have the option to create a new league; I've got single season, playoff, start today, MyLeague Online (I don't subscribe to PSN), and the MyGM poo poo. What happened to the Franchise Simulator where you can redraft all teams and just build a dynasty without all the GM storyline poo poo

I just started a MyLeague recently in 2k20, seems fine? I think MyGM is under MyLeague, but I'm not home right now to check, so the regular league should be an option there.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

rivetz posted:

Not sure what could be happening to you. Here's what MyLeague looks like for me. (on PC)

beejay posted:

:stare: That's a performance. Nice triple double by you though.

To be honest, most of my assists on the Bucks are generally to either Giannis or Bledsoe on the break.

Rebounds largely depend on how many Giannis is willing to share.

Giannis is genuinely terrifying when he decides to go nuts.

Here's a 25 point, +41 quarter he had for me against a full strength Sixers in the playoffs. Although it was second season, so Al Horford had declined some.

Largepotato fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 25, 2020

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

I've asked a few times and haven't got a response but I'm still real curious what the online head to head play is like with this.

Seems like it'd be a really tough game to cheese like Madden, Fight Night and a ton of other games I can think of.

I don't like playing games online in general since I don't make a loving career out of it but this one seems like it could actually work so I'd be real interested in feedback from goons who've messed around with it.

Are there any online goon leagues for NBA2k? Are the money plays and other stupid bullshit that ruin every other online sports game present here? Is it ruined by micro transactions/card packs and crap like that?

Might be fun to try and drum up a goon league fantasy draft without any of the usual fuckery.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
I don't play any online, but most of the modes are openly designed to milk as much money from players as possible.

Just watch the infamous MyTeam trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwN4VYzD02g

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

BiggerBoat posted:

I've asked a few times and haven't got a response but I'm still real curious what the online head to head play is like with this.

Seems like it'd be a really tough game to cheese like Madden, Fight Night and a ton of other games I can think of.

I don't like playing games online in general since I don't make a loving career out of it but this one seems like it could actually work so I'd be real interested in feedback from goons who've messed around with it.

Are there any online goon leagues for NBA2k? Are the money plays and other stupid bullshit that ruin every other online sports game present here? Is it ruined by micro transactions/card packs and crap like that?

Might be fun to try and drum up a goon league fantasy draft without any of the usual fuckery.

If you just play vs the PC, and don't need to play Mycareer or Myteam then you will literally never run into microtransactions.

I do Myleague/association mode, and play/sim games there and it's just a normal basketball game, or if you do play now.

if you want to get into Myteam, or Myplayer then yeah you have to deal with the game being balanced around microtransactions.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
First noticed this during the parade, but poor Aron Baynes loses his hair during cutscenes.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Hey this is gonna be one of the free july PS+ games

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
https://twitter.com/nba2k/status/1277966443875725314?s=21

I値l wait until they spell out the upgrade path, if one exists, from current to next gen

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Next gen athlete will be Zion then?

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

zelah posted:

https://twitter.com/nba2k/status/1277966443875725314?s=21

I値l wait until they spell out the upgrade path, if one exists, from current to next gen

Most major games with a fall release are doing the dual entitlements thing where buying the current gen version also gets you the next gen version so I would guess 2k will do something similar, but yeah, wait for confirmation obviously.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Quizzlefish posted:

Next gen athlete will be Zion then?

Likely.

The NBA has already expanded the playoff field with the hope of him getting the Pelicans into the playoffs.

He's real loving good so I can't really blame them though.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Yep

https://twitter.com/nba2k/status/1278328803966812161?s=21

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

Nice. He is amazing of course, but they are going to seriously juice his stats.

Vertical: 100
Strength: 100

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Can't wait to cry about not making the all-star team in this years story

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Quizzlefish posted:

Nice. He is amazing of course, but they are going to seriously juice his stats.

Vertical: 100
Strength: 100

I checked out his stat line yesterday which, while admittedly is a really small sample size, it's just bananas how good it is. This dude seems to be able to to do every loving thing you want a power forward to do, and then some.

Just look at this poo poo

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/willizi01.html

59% from the field, 46% from three, crashing the glass, mixing in a block and a steal. TO/AST ratio is flat and free throws need work but that should improve over time and he's not a point guard either so the assists don't bother me. I haven't seen him play yet but am really excited to check him out and don't blame the NBA or 2K for wanting to showcase him.

That's a hell of a first 19 games in the league on a below average team. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Metapod posted:

Can't wait to cry about not making the all-star team in this years story

I made the All-Star team with second most votes in the Western Conference.

Got to the game and not only did I not start, but the only playing time I had was 8 minutes in the second quarter.