Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Something I do appreciate about The Witch (and the Inventor too) is just how loving quickly their opinion does a 180 on Lady Luck. The both of them were pretty optimistic and excited about stuff and then after a few rounds of bullshit are just like "Nah gently caress you, you cheating broad". Especially amusing is how Lady Luck had to cut the Witch short from cursing on live television after she was previously smitten having apparently been a big fan of Lady Luck before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Stickman posted:

Are there any tips that could actually help with Parallel Inventor? I'm on something like run 10, and it just seems like bullshit without much room for strategy. Because of the scrap change, you only get a choice of one gadget or some other random gadget, meaning you only get to protect at most one piece of equipment from deconstruction and there's few enough pick-ups that you're usually running with an empty inventory. That means no synergies/damage mitigation unless you're lucky, and about half runs end when I end up with only one real damage-dealing weapon and then take too much damage on floor 3 or 4. Inventor's limit break is mostly useless for the first 4 floors too, because the vast majority of the equipment you get doesn't work with 6s.

Just keep pounding until it comes together?

It's a pain, but what I ended up noticing on my successful runs (and the one where I finally won) was that you have to really focus on a couple good pieces of equipment to build around, and prioritize picking up the grey scraps when you can at stores, etc. Basically get a couple of upgrades, and always try to have one scrap to feed them so you keep whatever your good equip is. That said I still think it's heavily luck based and you're gonna be struggling regardless imo.

Also gently caress the Witch she's still garbage. I've been stuck on her elimination round and it seems entirely dependent on you both getting amazing equipment (life drain, freeze), as well as not having certain enemies that just end the run.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Got the game yesterday, it's a lot of fun!

It's early days yet, but my favourite thing so far is upgrading the Dagger as Thief, then Lockpicking, Hacksawing and Counterfeiting my way to an insane number of +1 attacks. Dagger? More like buzzsaw.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 30, 2019

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

I think the witch would be fine if she had more dice and hall of mirrors was just deleted. Currently the Witch spikes at level 2 when she gets a "good" combat spell like ice shard or the shock equivalent, and just becomes weaker as the game progresses because all she really gains is health and slightly better/more spells. I feel like if she either started with 4 dice and had some other minor tweak, or just gained dice with levels like every other character to end up with 6 dice at the boss she'd be a lot more consistent and actually fun to play, because currently you're just too much at risk of getting utterly screwed by rng and getting obliterated by a single fight like the banshee or a loud bird.

I like the concept of the witch but she's just way too weak if you don't give yourself more dice.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
i've been holding off on buying the game because I've seen footage of the witch and i know she would make me miserable.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

If you are having trouble as Witch, you can make a quick mod with Excel to make things easier, like +1 die or something like that. It's in episodes.csv that you can change stuff like that, but you'd have to look at MODDING.txt in the files and run the game via command line.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

No Wave posted:

i've been holding off on buying the game because I've seen footage of the witch and i know she would make me miserable.

I wouldn't hold off just for that - nothing is locked behind the Witch and the other 5 +1 characters are pretty great and probably have 30+ hours of gameplay between them. I actually find the Witch fun to play because there are so many options and strategies; she's just woefully underpowered and losing all the time gets old eventually.

alansmithee posted:

It's a pain, but what I ended up noticing on my successful runs (and the one where I finally won) was that you have to really focus on a couple good pieces of equipment to build around, and prioritize picking up the grey scraps when you can at stores, etc. Basically get a couple of upgrades, and always try to have one scrap to feed them so you keep whatever your good equip is. That said I still think it's heavily luck based and you're gonna be struggling regardless imo.

Also gently caress the Witch she's still garbage. I've been stuck on her elimination round and it seems entirely dependent on you both getting amazing equipment (life drain, freeze), as well as not having certain enemies that just end the run.

Thanks! Which equipment do you usually focus on? I've been upgrading/keeping the Molotov Cocktail because burn? is good for locking down multi-round fights, but it's a little lacking in damage output. Gemstone Staff seems like it'd be useful if I could actually hold on to the Wrecking Ball, but there's not enough scrap items to guarantee that. I suppose I could try keeping some scrap items + a good upgrade weapon in inventory, but there's barely enough equipment to keep a full build as-is.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The witch is fine on normal rounds, and real cool there. But when the elimination round gives the enemies only +10% hp, but like +60% offense, you can't reliably run a slow build at all. Unfortunately, witch almost forced to run a slow ramping build, or go all-in on multiple duplicates. But duplicates leaves you at the mercy of getting RNG screwed even harder than before. Likewise, the bonus modifiers punish characters with few dice and fewer RNG manipulation abilities harder, which also means the witch gets screwed harder than everyone else. So the options with the current episodes are

1. Witch is somewhat overpowered on episodes 1-3
2. Witch is really underpowered on episodes 4-6
3. Witch gets a special buff or gameplay modification only on episodes 4-6

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

No Wave posted:

The other classes are nothing like her, don't let her stop you.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I think I already put about 7h into this game in two days, oops. I'll say that it feels a lot more bullshit than Slay the Spire, but I'm still having fun, it's just that my motivation to keep playing shifted from "oh I just need to get better at drafting, let's try again" to "loving DICE gently caress THE WITCH gently caress YOU let's try again".

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Well, finally "beat" Parallel Inventor after 15 losses. It just took a whole pile of luck, an upgraded Blast Chiller (Count 8, do 6 damage + 1 freeze, reusable) + save-scumming twice after being forced to enter the boss fight with half health. No regerts.

I actually had duplicate of that upgraded Blast Chiller + a Gemstone Staff waiting in the wings and never got a Wrecking Ball :cripes:

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Aug 31, 2019

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Einwand posted:

I had a similar build on the bonus round, and it was a fun change of pace from "infinite dagger/nunchuck spam" that most of my thief runs wind up being.

Just had a similar run and it was super fun! As you said, very different from dagger/nunchuck

The curse made this boss fight an enormous joke :D

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I almost won as a witch earlier... but I just get overwhelmed in the higher floors. There are too many options when you get a full book of spells, it's hard to know where to start. I'm almost done finishing all the episodes for the first three characters and I haven't won a single time with the latter three.

Also, the mimic rule is hilarious.

Begemot fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Aug 31, 2019

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Begemot posted:

I almost won as a witch earlier... but I just get overwhelmed in the higher floors. There are too many options when you get a full book of spells, it's hard to know where to start. I'm almost done finishing all the episodes for the first three characters and I haven't won a single time with the latter three.

Also, the mimic rule is hilarious.

That's hilarious - haven't got that one yet!

Here's some hints for the 6th character:

- Like most deckbuilders, smaller is better - get rid of non-synergizing cards whenever you can
- But the discard mechanic means you'll probably want to keep two or zero copies instead of just one.
- Aggressively discard to get to the cards you actually want to use. Keep an eye on what's coming up to see what you'll have an opportunity to discard
- Dice duplication/reroll cards are very strong, especially with Even/Odd requirements or flat damage cards. Rerolls like Cauldron are basically free cards and let you prepare for upcoming requires, and duplication cards like Duplicate, Bump (returns a 6 and a 1 if you feed it a 6), or splits let you really go hog wild. Upgrading and copying a duplicate makes later levels much easier.
- Inventor is one of the best character cards. Since she copies the next card it's easy is discard them both if you need to. The other characters often end up clogging the deck unless you specifically build around them.
- Be selective with what you add to the deck. You only need as many terminal attack/utility cards as you can actually use in a turn - if you start adding too many singles that sound nice you'll clog up the pipeline before you get to the cards you really want to play (and make it difficult to discard).

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Stickman posted:

That's hilarious - haven't got that one yet!

Here's some hints for the 6th character:

- Like most deckbuilders, smaller is better - get rid of non-synergizing cards whenever you can
- But the discard mechanic means you'll probably want to keep two or zero copies instead of just one.
- Aggressively discard to get to the cards you actually want to use. Keep an eye on what's coming up to see what you'll have an opportunity to discard
- Dice duplication/reroll cards are very strong, especially with Even/Odd requirements or flat damage cards. Rerolls like Cauldron are basically free cards and let you prepare for upcoming requires, and duplication cards like Duplicate, Bump (returns a 6 and a 1 if you feed it a 6), or splits let you really go hog wild. Upgrading and copying a duplicate makes later levels much easier.
- Inventor is one of the best character cards. Since she copies the next card it's easy is discard them both if you need to. The other characters often end up clogging the deck unless you specifically build around them.
- Be selective with what you add to the deck. You only need as many terminal attack/utility cards as you can actually use in a turn - if you start adding too many singles that sound nice you'll clog up the pipeline before you get to the cards you really want to play (and make it difficult to discard).

I just want to stress how important the two-or-zero rule is. Snap! is the best limit in the game by far: it creates and places the highest dice it can for both cards. A big Snap turn is really effective, and rolling into the boss with a limit ready can end the battle real quick.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Roluth posted:

I just want to stress how important the two-or-zero rule is. Snap! is the best limit in the game by far: it creates and places the highest dice it can for both cards. A big Snap turn is really effective, and rolling into the boss with a limit ready can end the battle real quick.

I forgot to mention that snapping cards that return dice will give you free dice. It creates a copy of the largest die that will activate the card, so snapping duplicate will give you a six, Cauldron a random die, etc!

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

oh god what is going on i thought i knew how to play this game why did i make witch my first parallel universe episode

Venuz Patrol fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Aug 31, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Venuz Patrol posted:

oh god what is going on i thought i knew how to play this game why did i make witch my first parallel universe episode
go in order, tbh, gives you a few to get used to the status ailments

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
you've probably noticed that the Witch's Throw Dice ability has a bit of weird lag to it, like if you mash it fast enough you can throw more dice than necessary to beat an enemy. well apparently if you would have killed yourself on Thorns from the first dice throw but the second is enough to kill the enemy and you mash fast enough you'll just live and win anyway. i leveled up from that fight so I got a free full heal but presumably you stay at 0 HP after the battle otherwise (and possibly just die immediately anyway).

it's letting me continue my run but the background music stopped completely and it's really eerie.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My thoughts as I breezed thru Thief 2:

Oh, Freeze Spell+ is kinda broken, it destroys most enemies in this game.

Oh. I understand what that means later on. Welp.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've beat a combined 10 episodes but I can't beat the second floor of the first episode as thief and I die on the first floor pretty often. How the hell does it work?

I dig the design behind the classes but robot and warrior are the only ones that are fun to play :(

Edit: In general how do you stop enemies that deal 20+ damage per turn or that just completely lock you down and make you unable to do anything? I can't find any way to counteract that and it ends like 80% of my runs on any class, at this point there are certain enemies like Loud Bird that I know to just avoid and accept the fact that I won't hit level 5 because it's entirely possible to loop yourself into never being able to hit it because of its dodge ability, at this point unless I have multiple attacks that can be used with any single dice roll I will restart my run when I see one :(

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Aug 31, 2019

Moldy Sausage
Oct 5, 2004
Where am I going?
Thief is one of the more powerful classes in my opinion, his starting gear is great and you can focus an entire build around dagger. Thief especially doesn't have many defensive options so you usually want to kill things as quickly as possible. For me his strongest builds are either

1. Go all in on dagger. Since it never runs out of uses you don't need to worry about other attack equipment and can use the rest of your slots on things like lockpick and chisel that will let you use your 4+ dice to generate more dice for the dagger. Once you upgrade the dagger you should be able to kill most enemies in two turns. Since you start with a dagger and lockpick this build is easy to go into

2. Use a crowbar and a bunch of countdown equipment. This is fun and also usually possible because thief has a lot of countdown items and you are always offered a choice of crowbar at some point. It can take longer to get going than the dagger build though.

What exactly is giving you trouble with loud bird? If you're only attacking once per turn it may be worthwhile to change your loadout a bit so you have something that can eat its dodge. In general I find it's best to fight every enemy so that you aren't underleveled later on or fighting the boss while damaged.

Also lockpick can be used on a 1 to get two 1s in case you didn't know

Moldy Sausage fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 31, 2019

Krakhan
Oct 13, 2005

I see you.
If you can get the chance as well, you can usually go from a dagger, nunchuck or kunai build early on to the poison builds for thief. I had a lot of fun and success doing that for my episode 3 clear of him. Teleport+ was quite helpful though for minimizing damage waiting for all of the poison scaling to completely rack up, especially on enemies or bosses that only attack once per turn:

Another option you can try for too is going after an alchemist and attempting to transform into a bear. I got elimination round and bonus round clears with him that way.

Krakhan fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 31, 2019

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

PSA for Thief 2: Finders Keepers does not stack.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I do like Thief a lot, they have a really strong Plan A with feeding a silly number of low rolls into the dagger (especially once it's upgraded) and thanks to stealing (or "borrowing" in Thief 1) stuff they can get a big variety of Plans B, C, D...

The tricky part probably is the opening couple of floors before you can get extra dice and the upgraded dagger online, though, so I can see why deep dish peat moss is struggling there.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

I've spent ~3 days now trying to get past Inventor 4 (Elimination Round); I got to Beatrice once but relied on once-per-battle tools and lost. Are there any guidelines as to how to survive the barrage? Seems like several of the endgame enemies can just deal a lot of damage to Inventor if they want (Loud Bird, Kraken, Banshee, Sorceress, Vacuum...)

One secret trick for Kraken on Inventor, though: breaking the Hammer right before gives you a gadget that makes the Kraken never attack you (they'll still curse and blind you every turn, though.)

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Hempuli posted:

I've spent ~3 days now trying to get past Inventor 4 (Elimination Round); I got to Beatrice once but relied on once-per-battle tools and lost. Are there any guidelines as to how to survive the barrage? Seems like several of the endgame enemies can just deal a lot of damage to Inventor if they want (Loud Bird, Kraken, Banshee, Sorceress, Vacuum...)

One secret trick for Kraken on Inventor, though: breaking the Hammer right before gives you a gadget that makes the Kraken never attack you (they'll still curse and blind you every turn, though.)

are you saving the top end gadgets for the boss? Duplicate all dice can be a huge increase in power if you prepare for it. Of course it's not a 100% chance you get to dissemble the right equipment before the boss, but with a choice of three you should still have decent options going into the last fight

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Venuz Patrol posted:

are you saving the top end gadgets for the boss? Duplicate all dice can be a huge increase in power if you prepare for it. Of course it's not a 100% chance you get to dissemble the right equipment before the boss, but with a choice of three you should still have decent options going into the last fight

A large problem is that I try to do that a bit but have actually gotten to the boss only once, so hoarding good equipment hasn't seemed like a viable strategy.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

It turns out the Inventor gadget that swaps equipment with the enemy is permanent, so I just became Sneezy. I wish I remember what piece of equipment did that, saving it to use on loud bird or something would be amazing.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Einwand posted:

It turns out the Inventor gadget that swaps equipment with the enemy is permanent, so I just became Sneezy. I wish I remember what piece of equipment did that, saving it to use on loud bird or something would be amazing.

BaconCopter posted:

:getin:

Suck it gently caress Bird

It feels pretty drat good. I don't remember what piece of equipment gave it to me, but I've seen a couple different ones do it.

Edit: Don't forget to un-equip everything you have beforehand for maximum griefing

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 1, 2019

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I know you can get Reversal from Berlin Key but I don't know where else.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

All I have left is witch 3-6.
I can't stand this. Someone save me from this hell.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Finally won with the inventor! I realized I kept getting rid of all my damage cards and ending up in these long drawn-out fights that I would inevitably lose. Planning ahead really pays off.

Also I got to have some nice karmic revenge on Sneezey for ending so many runs by rolling a 6:

It looks like there was a new update that unlocked the first three episodes for characters even if you haven't won with them, which is cool. Lets you see all the unique mechanics even if you have trouble winning.

Happylisk
May 19, 2004

Leisure Suit Barry '08
Had a breakthrough with Witch once I understood the importance of the shield spell. That + leaning on freeze attacks, it really does shut down half the game.

One thing it took me forever to realize: shield in this game is not like block in slay the spire. It doesn't reset to zero each turn but continues to snack. This makes shield bash warriors builds insane.

Thief 2 is my favorite episode so far. Stealing freeze spell and sneeze? Yes please.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
For the life of me I can't Thief 3. The pool of drops seems very small per floor, so I've basically played every permutation of abilities and I don't understand what to do. I've been one fight away from the boss so many times only to get thwomped for 30 damage in three turns while I try to set up or lose the race to enemies that can pump out more damage than I can if I try to be "aggro" because healing is rare on the fifth floor.

If I just had one more upgrade I feel like I could string enough together to win but it doesn't happen. I wish I could trade in the maybe five pieces of trash I can't use for one more thing.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Witch 6 with enchanted bolt:

at least enchanted bolt makes 5 and 6 way easier than 4, which I skipped.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Getting really sick of this game's poo poo, but I did manage to kill Snowman in a single shot that run and I loving hate that guy. :v:

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If anyone else has some sort of equipment screen related crash save files are very easy to find and edit; also necessary because you can't end a run without dying to an enemy and that's impossible to do if you can't load a battle.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Boy am I glad I got Robot 3 in one because that felt like it could get real frustrating real quick. Statistically I suppose it's a Snecko Eye situation but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogresque
Mar 27, 2019

by VideoGames
so ive been using dramatic exit this run and ive got a comfortable tire around my waist and a newly upgraded lockpick when the game rolls the -10 maxhp rule. i reroll because ugh and now i cant roll sixes what an incredible troll