Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
With a spy satellite yes, by the naked eye no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schadenboner posted:

So I was laying around being a fat piece of poo poo watching a splice reel of all the cinematics from the Space Marine (as y'do) and I wondered: are artillery battles (like batteries firing and poo poo) visible from space?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QepiipNOr18

40k artillery fights? Abso-loving-lutely, an Ordinatus fight can level mountain ranges and obliterate cities outright.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fly Molo posted:

40k artillery fights? Abso-loving-lutely, an Ordinatus fight can level mountain ranges and obliterate cities outright.

Well I know that, I meant like Ypres or some poo poo?

E: I like the Ordinatus Ulator which has a literal scream cannon that sonics opponents to death.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schadenboner posted:

E: I like the Ordinatus Ulator which has a literal scream cannon that sonics opponents to death.

Oh hell yeah, like an LRAD on steroids.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Fly Molo posted:

Oh hell yeah, like an LRAD on steroids.

Brown note only your head asplodes (in addition to pooping yourself, obvs?).

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Did Flashman ever meet James Edward Edmonds? It seems like that's exactly the sort of obscure-rear end history nerd joke GMF would totally have made at some point.

E: he would probably have been too old to be honest, what was he up to by the 1880s?

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Schadenboner posted:

You'd definitely be able to see this from space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goMNAxFqGbk

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Captain von Trapp posted:

I'd never really thought about that. How sharp were the swords of antiquity on a scale from straight razor to log splitter? How much did it change from the bronze age to the late middle ages?

"Sharp" is kinda subjective, "working sharp" for a axe or sword is going to be "duller" than for a kitchen/fighting knife or a straight razor because the blade edge only needs to be so sharp, and a thinner, "sharper" edge will be more easily damaged when it starts getting used. So you're not going to easily fillet fish with your broadsword but it'll be sharp enough you can bisect a hog carcass like you're in a Cold Steel promotional video.

There are plenty of photos of skulls and etc remains from battlefields like Hastings and elsewhere that show (to my eyes) fairly clean and deep bone wounds, like cuts a sharp felling axe makes on wood. And IIRC archeologists have found swords from the Hundred Year's War in rivers that were still fairly sharp, due to being encased in mud in a low oxygen environment. And there's this specific bronze example from a 2400-some year old grave in China:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_Goujian

IIRC this has come up occasionally in here before and people have mentioned stuff about officers/NCOs complaining in letters that they need to actively make sure their men keep their swords sharp before going into a fight because otherwise they'll just let it sit around and get dull in the sheath. I think specifically one example was British soldiers in the Napoleonic period on the peninsula?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

An anecdote from somewhere in Glantz's When Titans Clashed illustrates wonderfully just how high on their own farts the Germans were re: rapidly approaching Russian hellwinter and how far down the chain of command it reached.

A Panzer company commander, who, in october, noticing that it's getting a tad nippy and that the war is, in fact, not nearly over, asks batallion whether they can expect any winter gear.

He gets immediately chastised for "lack of fighting spirit" and "defeatism".

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Raenir Salazar posted:

The strange thing too about this is weren't the High Command extremely conservative and bearish on their chances of winning up until the Fall of France? Manstein and Guderian had to go directly to Hitler to approve their plan and so on.

When Hitler demanded France be invaded after the fall of Poland there was some serious alarm in the upper ranks of the Wehrmacht, especially as originally Hitler wanted the invasion of France to happen in 1939. A group of generals planned a coup o Hitler in the event her seriously pushed for the 1939 invasion - as it was Hitler was willing to relent and delay to 1940.

One France had been so decisively beaten Hitler's reputation skyrocketed and it became much harder to oppose any plans; not that German officers did, because in pretty much everyone's estimates the French army was in better shape than the Red Army, and so it seemed plausible another quick victory could be on the cards.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
If anything, what happened in the winter war was strong evidence that the Soviet army was as weak as everyone thought it was.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Schadenboner posted:

Did Flashman ever meet James Edward Edmonds? [...]

E: he would probably have been too old to be honest, what was he up to by the 1880s?

I don't know if they did meet, but it's plausible; Flashman was in his 60s then, and lived until 1915.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's not quite so drastic on Southern Finland. The Ukrainian guys would not have noticed

Indeed, but it was the Ukrainians who got sent to Raate Road, about 800km or so to the north from the southern frontline. It isn't quite up at the Arctic Circle, but near.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Dance Officer posted:

If anything, what happened in the winter war was strong evidence that the Soviet army was as weak as everyone thought it was.

I don't think that pre-Winter War assessment of the RKKA was that it was particularly weak.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Geisladisk posted:

An anecdote from somewhere in Glantz's When Titans Clashed illustrates wonderfully just how high on their own farts the Germans were re: rapidly approaching Russian hellwinter and how far down the chain of command it reached.

Something to keep in mind is that the winter of '41 was unusually cold and nasty, even by Russian standards. Hell, for that matter the whole period from '39-45 or so had a lot of unusually hosed winters. The winter of '44-45 that the Battle of the Bulge took place in was also unusually harsh.

I'm not saying that the Germans were planning poo poo out well, but however badly they botched it they weren't expecting what slapped them in the face. Hell, even the Soviets were a bit taken aback by how harsh that winter was.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Basically the stop order for 31st October should have been permanent for the year.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nessus posted:

If I recall the Ardennes plan is pretty much the only place where Hitler's input was not either a push or detrimental to the German nation, and arguably here it was just that Mannstein and Guderian happened to both "have a good plan" and "be willing to schmooze Hitler."

I'm sure I've heard a serious military historian (Robert Citino?) say that Hitler's no retreat order in Dec '41 quite possibly saved the Wehrmacht. As hard as fighting in that winter was, trying to perform a strategic withdrawal with the extremely limited German transport capability would have been a far worse affair.

After that you can ask "saved it for what?" because obviously things aren't going to get better for Germany in the east, but still.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

I'm sure I've heard a serious military historian (Robert Citino?) say that Hitler's no retreat order in Dec '41 quite possibly saved the Wehrmacht. As hard as fighting in that winter was, trying to perform a strategic withdrawal with the extremely limited German transport capability would have been a far worse affair.

After that you can ask "saved it for what?" because obviously things aren't going to get better for Germany in the east, but still.

It's the traditional answer for the only good call Hitler ever actually made.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've recently read Jack Radey's "The Defense of Moscow 1941: The Northern Flank" about the fighting around Kalinin. Taking Kalinin would open up a new approach to Moscow and help complete Army Group North's last major encirclement. XXXXI Panzer Corps took the city, but with just spearhead elements of some of its divisions at the end of long and tenuous supply lines. Stavka put together the Kalinin front out of bits and pieces of armies found under their couch cushions and Konev managed to get a counterattack going, albeit mostly in fits and starts by rifle divisions reduced to regimental or battalion size. In wargaming terms, both sides would have most of their units out of supply for the whole battle.

Good book on an underappreciated battle.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
This was the battle that the 44th Soviet Rifle Division was sent into and it was raised in Ukraine:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Raate_Road

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alchenar posted:

Hey now, he also killed Hitler.

Then again he also killed the guy who killed Hitler...

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Yvonmukluk posted:

Hey now, he also killed Hitler.

Then again he also killed the guy who killed Hitler...

The guy who killed Hitler was a one hit wonder to be honest, so not much was lost.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The guy who killed Hitler also killed Hitler's dog and his wife before him. Now the wife probably was a racist rear end in a top hat, but was not in a position to participate in crimes, and Blondi did nothing wrong whatsoever.

In other words, I think the guy who killed Hitler has been overrated and was actually a misogynist, animal abusing rear end in a top hat.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Alchenar posted:

I'd say that refusing to repay the Versailles debt was a good call, and by far the best thing he did for the economy. A friend of mine who is Jewish said that Hitler was good for the German economy, so I pointed out how all his other ideas were disastrous and the economy was a house of cards built on looting.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chamale posted:

I'd say that refusing to repay the Versailles debt was a good call, and by far the best thing he did for the economy. A friend of mine who is Jewish said that Hitler was good for the German economy, so I pointed out how all his other ideas were disastrous and the economy was a house of cards built on looting.

Except that wasn't really Hitler, the Lausanne Conference took place before he came to power.

e: I'm just frantically wikiing this, I don't have any spec knowledge.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jul 12, 2020

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

Something to keep in mind is that the winter of '41 was unusually cold and nasty, even by Russian standards. Hell, for that matter the whole period from '39-45 or so had a lot of unusually hosed winters. The winter of '44-45 that the Battle of the Bulge took place in was also unusually harsh.

I'm not saying that the Germans were planning poo poo out well, but however badly they botched it they weren't expecting what slapped them in the face. Hell, even the Soviets were a bit taken aback by how harsh that winter was.

A part of me wonders if the harshness of the winters was not the result of a climate effect of all that combustion /stuff burning.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

A part of me wonders if the harshness of the winters was not the result of a climate effect of all that combustion /stuff burning.

Burning stuff tends to heat up the environment, not cool it down. Emission of any particular gases don't usually affect the climate for 5+ years afterwards, and it's a slow, gradual effect - we're only now getting the full hit of the CO2 emissions of 10-15 years ago. It's more likely to just be a climate variation - Although I don't think we can get winters that bad in russia anymore, thanks climate change.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Burning stuff tends to heat up the environment, not cool it down. Emission of any particular gases don't usually affect the climate for 5+ years afterwards, and it's a slow, gradual effect - we're only now getting the full hit of the CO2 emissions of 10-15 years ago. It's more likely to just be a climate variation - Although I don't think we can get winters that bad in russia anymore, thanks climate change.

So what you're saying is now is the time to invade?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I suspect the real answer is just "there is a lot of random variation year to year, even if the boundaries of that space are moving steadily warmer." But it is also plausible that there was some catchup effect from economic implosion during the depression... we are likely to not be burning consequential amounts of coal in 30 years, but they didn't know "not burning coal" was even an option for industry then.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yeah, it's definitely just random speculation on my part. And IIRC even 1939-40 there was a harsh winter in Great Britain, and not much stuff had burned yet. I just remember in the '70s people worrying about global cooling via coal.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yeah, it's definitely just random speculation on my part. And IIRC even 1939-40 there was a harsh winter in Great Britain, and not much stuff had burned yet. I just remember in the '70s people worrying about global cooling via coal.

You are probably thinking about this and you need orders of magnitude more particle emissions that humans typically put out to achieve this effect.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nebakenezzer posted:

I just remember in the '70s people worrying about global cooling via coal.

Climate change deniers claim that was the scientific consensus in the 70s, because they think climatologists don't know what they're talking about. But the majority consensus even then was that global warming would become a problem, not cooling.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
So obviously the colder winters were caused by Baba Yaga, got it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Paint, grease, and the periodic reapplication of both following scrubbing/ sanding rust off, same as any other heavy machinery that has to sit out in the elements for an extended period of time.
this is rather late and i'm catching up, but i have seen a 17th century requisition for cannon grease for a fortress. they itemized it seperately from axle grease.

i can only assume you season them like gigantic skillets.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yeah it's probably impossible to tell without time traveling satellites but I imagine someone could get a paper out of "Did the Great Depression's decline in particulate output facilitate the real lovely winters during War War II?" Even if you can't prove it, you might learn something trying to figure out a method for that.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

If you assume that the climate has the sensitivity that some claim it has, it wouldn't be out of order to look for predicted changes thanks to very large macro events, like WW2, the oil fires at the end of the first gulf war, etc. Unfortunately, this is complex enough that you'd have to be an actual climate scientist to do it properly.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Dance Officer posted:

Well, what do US tanks have in the way of rustproofing?

Crewmen armed with these:

I am not joking; a large part of a crew's work is "busting rust."

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
jeez hey guns, what did you say to get that avatar?

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Wasn't CSPAM enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krazyface posted:

Wasn't CSPAM enough

whoever bought that av went over the line

HEY GUNS only mentions how much they hate leftists 20%, maybe 25% of the time at most. :hmmyes: