Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

HEY GUNS posted:

Milhist posts go here.

Siivola's discord is here: https://discord.gg/sT375kR

Don't be a dick, and especially don't post about non-milhist-related politics in order to be a dick.

Making me actually find the thread like some kind of Medieval serf.

Do I want to know about how you train war elephants, or will it just make me very, very sad? I'm assuming step one is "abuse the gently caress out of an elephant".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Nessus posted:

I believe it was pretty much the same training used in typical taming of labor elephants along with being able to handle being around fire and shouting people and Romans. It seems that in some cases the elephants were taught to use flails attached to their tusks to great effect, in addition to being willing to trample Romans. They still train elephants for labor in southeast Asia, and I imagine the methods have not changed drastically.

Yeah step one of that is to basically break the elephant's will and abuse the poo poo out of it. Which is not cool cause, you know, elephants are super smart.

I retract the question.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ensign Expendable posted:

Also compressed air starters. But yes, the worst case scenario is that you get out and crank. The same thing was true for cars until relatively recently.

Like... How recently?

I've been driving lovely older cars most of my life, was there secretly a hand crank on my old Saab 900 or whatever that I never noticed?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Mycroft Holmes posted:

hey guns, is this your car, c/d?

I feel like if you're going to do this, you need to have a manual transmission. Yes, that's my objection. :colbert:

Also as a more tangential look at the Manhattan Project, I recommend anything Richard Feynman wrote. He only glosses by it but he was a young dude in his 20's working on the project so he has some interesting insights, plus he's an excellent writer. Bonus : you'll learn some cool physics stuff and how he banged a bunch of Brazilian flight-attendants.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Thanks but I'm aware of both. I'm a big fan of his. He was a truly excellent speaker, and, you know, physicist.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zoux posted:

Joel Edgerton and friends are adapting Shakespeare's Henriad for Netflix. Here's a trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMJnsTx-TBg

Holy loving poo poo inject that into my veins. Henry V is my favorite play by a million. Are they going to cover both parts of Henry IV?

bewbies posted:

I'm a barbeque enthusiast, and this has crossed my upper middle class white guy world a bit into the world of reconstruction Afro-cooking, as it mixes my love of slow cooked meats, my love of culinary history, and my love of antebellum American history.

Last year a fellow wrote a really incredible cookbook that anyone with even a passing interest in culinary history should buy, right now.

Somehow or other I missed a blog post he wrote a couple of weeks ago, which is one of my favorite bits of internet writing I've seen in recent years.

Anyway you all should read that post, and if you're interested in historical cooking and making some amazing dishes, buy that book. Slave culture is unendingly fascinating to me, and so much of that culture revolved around food; it is great to see the culinary community at large starting to recognize just how incredible that little slice of America really was.

Huh. My interest is piqued. I'm a home chef and a lover of history and this seems... Uh. Novel. I'll have to grab a copy and see what it's like.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Dumb question, but what colors are chlorine and mustard gas?

Also everyone check out yesterday's Behind the Bastards. It's pretty loving good.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Chlorine gas is yellow, mustard is yellow-brown.

Thank you. You can’t really GIS that if you don’t see colors.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Pinball posted:

I was watching a show on the history of the battleship Yamato, and I was somewhat surprised (as I am every time I remember, thanks US high school history education) that while D-Day wasn't until 1944, Guadalcanal was in 1942. It seems like almost all of the popular culture regarding America's involvement in WW2 is about the European theater (with the exception of "The Pacific" and those two Eastwood movies), even though the US was active in the Pacific theater for two years longer. Is there a reason for this?

I'm by no means a historian of any stripe, but my guess is that it was seen as a dirtier war? Maybe more traumatic due to the close quarters combat on islands and in tunnels? (Though the books I've read on the history of combat stress devote short shrift to WW2 veterans, so I don't know much about their respective levels of PTSD when talking about veterans of the European theater versus the Pacific.)

This is sidestepping your question, but there were also all those bits in Africa and, you know, Italy. One of those is in Europe, I hear.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

You know, considering that big chunks of this are nominally Hawaii before it was even a US state, that is an aggressive amount of only showing white people. Like to the point that it couldn't be accidental, someone was definitely spending effort to white-wash this.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O my god how did I forget that that the aliens shoot projectiles shaped like pegs from the game.

I'm dying right now.

Y'all can talk about how silly the drifting boat is or anything else, but that's the funniest thing. Just that one tiny sad attempt at being "true" to the game of loving Battleship as they made it a movie.

loving peg-missiles.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

Did china ever come close to breaking apart permanently like Rome did

There are two Chinas right now.

But also, yes, and they did in fact several times.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've never actually seen any sci-fi work acknowledge the ways that we observe objects in space in the real world. Nobody uses telescopes (visual or radio) it's always some obscure sensors that can detect things like weapons powering up and "lifesigns" whatever that means.

Most sci fi works with space combat wind up either having heavily fictionalized science or entirely fictional logistics, so you can contort basically any scenario into being "realistic" although some explanations involve a lot more reaching than others. So far, nothing will be truly realistic until enough people put enough stuff into space to staging fights with them, although I imagine the first space combat will either be corporate sabotage or a couple angry astronauts flailing at eachother.

Not space-combat but Blindsight does a good job of this, from memory. Not 100% super hard sci-fi, but pretty decent. Also free.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

he masturbated bored after this in the latrine.

Too soon for a new thread title?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Here is a question, if you got paid for it would you totally donate your urine to make historically correct materiel's?

or is this too weird to debate even for us.

O totally.

Now if you want to make me eat nothing but pottage for a month, that's gonna cost you.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Exploder?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I'm imagining him dropping the spoon and just looking so sad.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

There’s been a handful of cases of college students getting scurvy. It takes an extremely tiny amount of Vitamin C to prevent it and symptoms don’t show for a month or more, so only the most supremely lazy ones got it.

Considering onions are packed with vitamin C, you have to be really loving up your normal diet if you get scurvy.

Cause c'mon. Onions are delicious.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O yeah, word.

I just was thinking about it and can't imagine how I'd go a week without even just accidentally eating onions. They're the base of so much cooking.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Don't make me post onion recipes.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

packetmantis posted:

This is a super long shot, but I just found my mom's dad's diary - he was in the Latvian army, then got conscripted into the German army right before WW2. He lost a leg to shrapnel and was a grouchy old man for the rest of his life until he died of a heart attack in 1970, long before I was born so I never knew him. The diary starts in December 1944, I think right after he was deployed. I can't read Latvian, and my mom can but his handwriting is way too small and cursive for her to work out. I know there are some people here who are good at deciphering this kind of thing, so I took a couple of sample pictures so you can see what it's like.

https://imgur.com/a/sAK0ruz

ETA: Just looked through a little more and read that my grandma (who was an UNRRA nurse!) was in a loving stalag but I can't read anything else on that page!!!!!!!

It's not what it's for, so don't tell them I sent you, but you could try the Linguistics Thread in SAL too. It's really for actually talking about linguistics, but people come by with random bits of things to translate and it's still a bunch of multi-lingual helpful people.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Ataxerxes posted:

There was the Battle of Lissa, where the Austrian Navy beat Italians with ramming attacks, partially due to this very issue. There is an awesome painting of the Austrian admiral Tegethoff commanding a ramming attack on his flagship:

Incredibly dumb question time :

This is the Austro-Hungarian Navy, right? It's always bothered me when people talk about the Austrian Navy when, you know, it's super landlocked.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zoux posted:

Make everyone wear one eyepatch imo

Two. Go big or go home.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I’m very much not a milhist person or any kind of historian and I still get actively summoned into the discord from time to time.

You good, my person/dude in a non-gendered way.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Trin Tragula posted:

Well yes but absolutely nobody who was making the decisions was raised to think like that. poo poo like national honour and the right to maintain an empire was important to them. It's like complaining that Scott Joplin never laid down any bitchin' hip-hop beats.

Don't anybody lie and tell me you don't want to hear this right now.

I want the hip hop remix of The Entertainer.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Morholt posted:

I've heard stories from the Napoleonic wars of soldiers seeing cannonballs coming and attempting to kick them out of the way like footballs, with predictable results.

However these cannonballs would have bounced off the ground a few times and so might have slowed down quite a bit, also this might be made up.

This idea is absolutely horrifying. Like I'm thinking about it and my reaction is to look sadly at my legs and make vague, whiney noises.

loving ow jesus christ.

You'd hurt yourself kicking a cannon ball that was just sitting on the ground immobile. This is such a bad idea.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Pierre Billotte's B1-Bis took 140 non penetrating hits at Stonne. I think after the first say, 10, I would get out of there.

Dude I would’ve noped the gently caress out 17 shots before you.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Britain had poo poo tons of copper and tin in Cornwall and Wales.

Why yes I’m wikipediaing along while I watch Poldark.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Lone Badger posted:

I have severe difficulty judging ethnic groups, which I assume is related to my moderate faceblindness. I take it on trust that some people can see a person once and then recognise them weeks later, so I assume similarly that other people can tell ethnic group at a glance. I certainly can't.

As someone with literal colorblindness, how races are divided by people who care about such things has confused me endlessly since I was a small child. Like, I physically can’t see the color red but I still know that Native Americans aren’t actually red. What the gently caress?

And then according to some people my incredibly pale girlfriend isn’t white cause she’s Jewish????

loving racism.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

zoux posted:

Why do the English pronounce lieutenant like that

It's boringly unknown : https://www.etymonline.com/word/lieutenant

There's enough unknowns in there that it's not even really worth speculating. It could be loaned from a poorly-documented variety of Norman French or it could be disambugiatory epenthesis or a lot of other things. Considering the timeline on the first attestation, a better question is probably why American English doesn't do that. My initial guess answer to that would be the US being bros with the French during the Revolutionary War in a way that Britain never really was, so it's possible there was enough cross-polination to "correct" it, but that's a totally shoot-from-the-hip guess.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Why is there like a ball gown just hanging behind him.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

aphid_licker posted:

A guy I follow on Twitter was tweeting about how many papyri still are basically just lying around in boxes or whereever you keep a papyrus and have never been looked at scientifically. You could probably do some fun stuff if those were all digitized for every Egyptiologist on the planet, all three of them, to peruse.

Don’t. Get. Me. Started.

(I’m not bitter, PRC. It’s okay.)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

The other thing to remember is that the term itself was created by the people who were on the receiving end of it. "Banzai" is the Japanese equivalent of "long live the king" and as such was used for everything from patriotic toasts to its more famous (in the west) use as a battle cry. IIRC it is literally "Ten thousand years," referencing the length of time that the Imperial royal family will reign.

So early on you have people shouting it as a normal, patriotic military thing during more or less normal charges. poo poo like Guadalcanal, where it's certainly a risky maneuver but they think they can break the Marine's lines with a frontal assault. Then later on you have it being shouted in the explicitly suicidal contexts because, again, patriotic battle cry. Only for the guys on the receiving end of the charge who don't speak Japanese or understand gently caress all about Japanese culture there isn't really much of a visible difference, so it all gets rounded up into "crazy loving charges those <insert WW2 epithet> do"

It literally means "ten thousand years old", but 万 has like weird mystical associations so it's hard to pin down. I don't think it had anything to do with the cult of the emperor but I'd have to do research to check. Also in isolation it usually doesn't mean 10,000 but something more like "legion" i.e. fucktons. It actually means a totally different number I'm too lazy to look up like 14, blah blah that had mystical significance if you look at it historically.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O yeah, you were correct. I was just giving more information.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Banzai, wansui in Mandarin, means 10,000 years and is the equivalent of vive la in that it means long live and is used in a similar context.

10,000 is usually a stand in for forever or an extreme amount in East Asian languages. For instance in Mandarin, 10,000 li, a unit of distance, usually means immeasurable.

Scroll up.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Koramei posted:

Manse in Korean, too. Huh, I had no idea Banzai was the same thing as that, neat.

It's hard to reconstruct what the historical sound was in earlier versions of Chinese, but it was some kind of voiced labial so it crops up as "m", "w" and "b".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Don Gato posted:

I remember during the Imperial abdication ceremonies, a lot of people at work were super weirded out because they kept hearing hearing people yell Tennō Heika Banzai, which they associated with the suicidal banzai charges, even though it literally means "Long live His Imperial Majesty the Emperor" and the Heisei Emperor's last appearance as Emperor is one of the few socially acceptable places to yell that out.

White people are dumb and not to be trusted?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Alkydere posted:

I didn't get a lot of sleep today...so yeah. :v: I think my brain was writing "Imperial Japanese Armada"

Though the IJA building a bigger battleship than the IJN out of their constant infighting would have been hilarious.

Wait do we actually know that they didn't.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Raise your hand if you're imagining Yamato but with like millipede legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Nenonen posted:

Italy was and still is drastically divided between the north, which has seen Central European like development of industries, and the south which is more Mediterranean agrosociety. It's not totally surprising that there are some separatist movements in the north. Italy hasn't been united for that long after all.

Mr Enderby posted:

The history of surgery is fascinating.

Early modern European surgeons got very good at doing nose reconstruction, because of all the dueling accidents and syphilis.

I suspect a lot of our view of historical surgery has been very skewed because of the shift away from surgery into private homes, and toward surgery in filthy hospitals, done by surgeons who spent half their day elbow deep in rotting cadavers.

Here's a famous chart by Ignaz Semmelweis, one of the fathers of antiseptic surger, showing how the the introduction of pathological anatomy massively increased maternal mortality rates at a Vienna hospital.

God I wish they'd ever make these legible for color-blind people. Why would you even do that what the hell.

Also for anyone wanting some medical history knowledge (better on medicine than history), check out the podcast Sawbones. It uh. Owns bones. One time I was listening to an episode while walking into a lecture and all my students got to see me shudder at hearing about early gunshot treatments.