Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Hellcat is a good name.

Hell yeah it is. Avenger and Corsair and Warhawk are good names too, whoever was in charge of naming 1940s-era American planes did a very good job at it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

JcDent posted:

By the way, do we have WWII stories of liberated locals helping out the Allies or whatever? Like, a US unit liberates Pomme-dy-Terre and some old shepherd comes "oui oui, amis Americaines, ze Boche, zey have a posission in ze hill, but me, I know some path secraite, follow moi" or something.

Quoting this not only for the — 'ow you zay — incroyable French accent but also a followup.

If Allied forces making their way through France came in contact with a rural village like this and a local wanted to point out a Nazi position or give them a fresh croissant or whatever, would it be more likely that the local would know English or one of the soldiers would know French? Would an American or British platoon have an interpreter with them? I assume the Canadians would have a certain percentage of Quebecois in their troop so it wouldn't be an issue.