Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Hi thread, long time lurker, first time caller.

Does anyone have recommendations for modern books about 18th century military history? Back in the day I read books from historians such as André Corvisier and Christopher Duffy, but I've been out of the loop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011

bewbies posted:

I just read Rick Atkinson's new book on the Revolutionary War book and I thought it was one of the best history books I've read in quite a while. Unfortunately, 1) it only covers the first two years of the war and 2) the next two books in the trilogy haven't been published yet and won't be for a while.

Cessna posted:

With Zeal and With Bayonets Only: The British Army on Campaign in North America, 1775–1783 by Spring is quite good.

Fuligin posted:

Crucible of War, by Fred Anderson. It's on the French-Indian War and it's quite good.

Anarchy, by William Dalrimple, is one of the best history books I've read in a while. Covers the East India Company and its expansion into a quasi-state during the fall of the Mughal Empire. Really recommended

Thank you, all of these sound very interesting. It's a fascinating period.